2020 US Election (Part Two)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won the pool!!!

What was the pool question?

What I love is how it's completely unprompted. He just had to come up with that defense and announce it to the thread.

I posted that Trump started interrupting Biden first, I was wrong so I corrected myself. I dont need prompting for that.

Police started the vast majority of violent confrontations, but okay man.

Also, like how you rate photo op cleaning of graffiti as more important than two murders and a permanent maiming. Really shows your priorities.

I was talking about destroying neighborhoods, you're moving the goalposts. Yeah, Kyle had a photo-op in preparation for shooting people. It was self defense and thats what a jury will rule.

The best part about this is knowing that there is no longer a possibility of escape from it.

If Biden wins the election, the right will assert fraud. If Trump wins the election, the left will assert suppression. And even if Biden wins the election unambiguously, Trump has demonstrated willingness to flex either the electoral college or his ownership of the Supreme Court to pretend he didn't see that. Regardless of the outcome, the results will not be accepted and political violence is all but an inevitability from the people who suddenly find themselves completely locked out from a legal means of effecting change.

The only timeline in which things can end with relative peace is Biden winning and Trump actually accepting his loss, but at this point I'd sooner expect the next Civ 6 DLC to be Tibet. Even then, so much has been destroyed so thoroughly that it'd take someone far ballsier than Biden to even start cleaning things up... and that's probably not happening for another 8-12 years, so RIP I guess.

Going on that: Will there be OECD election supervisors in the US this year? Maybe it‘s time to really do a monitoring on if the elections will be „free and fair“ or not...

I was talking about destroying neighborhoods, you're moving the goalposts. Yeah, Kyle had a photo-op in preparation for shooting people. It was self defense and thats what a jury will rule.

Even if it were self-defence, self-defence doesn‘t make the fact go away that he killed someone. Destruction can be rebuilt, a life cannot be given back. So yes, the harder violence came clearly from the right-wing counter-protesters. Just like it did in Charlotteville where someone drove into protestors, killing a woman and thereby also prompting Joe Biden to run as he pointed out in the debate. So the Sanders-wing can blaim Trump‘s right wing radicals / neo-fascists also for Joe Bidens primary win.

Then calling it murder is wrong. A number of people have been killed, but in Kenosha the people who got killed attacked a kid with a gun. Had they done that to a cop we wouldn't be prosecuting the cop for shooting them. Biden wanted to run in 2016 but Hillary was in the way.

To me it really doesn‘t matter if it was murder or manslaughter or killing-in-self-defence. Someone died. That‘s bad. It could have been avoided, peaceful protests are possible. And around here, if a cop kills a person, there is an investigation no matter what happened. But we try to create an environment where this doesn‘t happen, the US has a different culture in this regard, I know. Also, that guy from Kenosha wasn‘t a cop, I think that‘s an important distinction.

Win the actual election, Biden for all his faults can manage that (he just won't be very effective afterwards),
Cope with the voterigging and legal shenanigans that Trump will employ I'm not so sure about.

I was specifically referring to the debate, although I do fear Biden may actually lose the election.

To me it really doesn‘t matter if it was murder or manslaughter or killing-in-self-defence. Someone died. That‘s bad. It could have been avoided, peaceful protests are possible. And around here, if a cop kills a person, there is an investigation no matter what happened. But we try to create an environment where this doesn‘t happen, the US has a different culture in this regard, I know. Also, that guy from Kenosha wasn‘t a cop, I think that‘s an important distinction.
When your solution to problems are guns, innocent people are going to die.
When you add a president that encourages confrontation, more people are going to die.

Kyle placed himself in the position where he was, because he had a gun. Without it, he wouldn't have been there. Kyle placed himself in that position because he idolizes Trump. If Trump's rhetoric had been less moronic, he wouldn't have been there.

When you add a president that encourages confrontation, more people are going to die.

Kyle placed himself in the position where he was, because he had a gun. Without it, he wouldn't have been there. Kyle placed himself in that position because he idolizes Trump. If Trump's rhetoric had been less moronic, he wouldn't have been there.

It doesn't matter because ultimately people like @Berzerker will do everything they can to defend trump, the gop and the right wing and all it's constituent parts, there isn't a single level or thing they won't stoop or lower themselves to; sacrificing other people's futures, other people's lives, their own family member's futures and lives, THEIR OWN CHILDREN'S FUTURES AND LIVES.

You cannot reason with these people, they are gone and so is their humanity and it's not coming back; the same people who place more humanity in a clump of cells then they do a non-white skinned child and said child's life or future. There are other people on this forum, and you know who you are, whose entire belief in the sanctity of life is phony because they cannot bring themselves to care or do anything about the encroaching disasters that will eliminate whatever progress we've made in terms of life quality; who think the lowering of environmental standards and the damage that will do is an acceptable trade off in the hopes that roe v wade might be abolished.

Berzerker will always be more scared of Hilary clinton out of power than he'll ever be of a fascist Republican in power because the former represents more of a threat to him than the latter does.

Think on that next time he defends the gop whilst claiming he isn't supportive of them; he views biden and the dnc as more a threat to him ands his goals than an open fascist who has no problem with doing things that reasonable people would consider sociopathic.

And remember, Trump is still in the 40% average, sometimes more.

Imagine that. Trump's lowest point was in 2017. Since then, he has only GOTTEN popular. Never above 50, and has dipped, but Trump is still a hot guy, or a necessary evil, in the minds of Americans.

Against Biden, Trump was at his worst in July. July. Not now, not last month, but in the Summer. Since then he has climbed back up.

Too much of America is willing to tolerate Trump, out of fear of some organized 'left', out of decades of demonization of the Democrat, of the Other, of the Minority, that Trump isn't in the absolute gutter. These polls aren't forced on people, or at gunpoint, this is the voluntary participation and data amalgamation. And it says that 4 out of 10 , or, 43 out of 100, would take Trump, 5 in 10 Biden, or, rather, 49,50, out of 100ish, and 1 in 10 is on the fence, or 11-9 out of 100.

43 vs 49 is a much tighter fight than you'll think, if you got 100 people together and forced them into a melee.

Biden doesn't have this in the bag. America can't even decide that. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if people bash Biden more for what he did in this debate than against Trump.

If Trump wins in 2020, America probably would had placed him there than him rigging the system to put him there, and what happens then is what America deserves at that point.

Oh sure you might say that Biden's 49 people is in all the right places - 279 almost solid votes in the EC. I say that's just sad. Of those 279ish EC votes, 80 'lean' Democratic; they're not solid. They can flip. 140 votes are in the air.

And is that what we want? Biden getting in on a small popular and small EC victory? What does that tell you? It tells me at least that, despite it all, despite these four years, Biden had to come in on a hare's breadth. Despite it all, too many Americans probably would not had voted on Nov 2; that, despite it all, against the walking waste pile as Trump, Biden didn't win by a mile. That despite it all, America was basically a few voters away from Trump.

And that is if Biden wins, mind.

FFS, America. This should be a set in stone as LBJ vs Goldwater.

You cannot reason with these people
[...]
Think on that next time he defends the gop whilst claiming he isn't supportive of them; he views biden and the dnc as more a threat to him ands his goals than an open fascist who has no problem with doing things that reasonable people would consider sociopathic.
I have a better solutions. If you can't argue with irrationality, why try?

Trump has objectively, demonstratively failed as a president in every aspect of the job. Just as he has failed as a businessman. There are no excuses. And most Trump supporters, hell even his staff, are aware of this somewhere. You can tell. They cannot defend Trump's actions, so they need a bigger boogieman, in order to claim to be supporting the lesser of 2 evils. They do not care that Trump, knowing the dangers of Covid-19, is willing to risk their lives by holding rallies and by claiming it's fine. If you are so far gone that you are willing to accept a president, who's actions show that he values being cheered at more than the lives of those cheering, as being the lesser of two evils, there is no rational argument that will make them think otherwise.

There are Republican Supporters however who voted for Trump, believing he was a successful businessman, and were willing to put up with his shenanigans just to have someone with that background running the country. Or who lost their faith, understandably, in the former powers that were, and wanted someone who wasn't involved before. It's these people who are realizing the mistake they made. They might not be willing to vote for Biden, but they might be less motivated to vote for Trump again.

Eh, if it was George Will then there would be some oomph behind it. There’s no surprise here; Ann Coulter praising that guy is like Pravda praising Lenin.
Remember, the McCloskeys did absolutely nothing except point guns at peaceful protestors (and each other, in their incompetence), with fingers on the trigger. This act alone got them proclaimed as Republican heroes worthy of speaking at the RNC.

It is a mainstream position within the GOP that violence against political opponents is acceptable. First, they declared "Antifa" a terrorist group, despite its lack of terrorist attacks; then, they arbitrarily declare those who oppose the GOP are its members.

These aren't fringe positions anymore.

The “hot mess inside a dumpster fire, inside a train wreck” is a solid take. I would have loved to see the approval numbers had Bernie gone third party here. (Before you kill me, I understand that would have made Trumps position stronger and this is only as a hypothetical) Bernie would have crushed in this debate. Angry, sure, but back in on the issues like a laser beam, not mudwrestling. Bernie has vision, real tangible plans and answers to healthcare, climate, end corruption, international relations, everything these two stooges lack completely. That said Biden has less far gone dementia than feared. Maybe they juice him up on Adderall, it doesn’t much matter, he is still horsehocky, but far less horsehocky than Trump.

Bernie has vision, real tangible plans and answers to healthcare, climate, end corruption, international relations, everything

Maybe he should have shared some of these "plans" during the primaries. As I recall he had plenty of visions...one line expressions...but when pressed for any sort of explanation for how to realize those visions he was pretty numb.

That said Biden has less far gone dementia than feared. Maybe they juice him up on Adderall, it doesn’t much matter, he is still ****, but far less **** than Trump.
He did seem to trip over his tongue a little, but maybe he was just flustered or angry, or maybe he's just not great at this kind of public speaking. If it were me, I'd have gone all Bruce Banner on Trump's [butt], which I'm sure was what he was trying to do, so I guess I have to credit Biden for not losing his cool even more than he did.

Spoiler :

Maybe he should have shared some of these "plans" during the primaries. As I recall he had plenty of visions...one line expressions...but when pressed for any sort of explanation for how to realize those visions he was pretty numb.

He did. They were all there on the campaign website. https://berniesanders.com/issues/ probably still there, far more detailed than EWs for example who was somewhat famous for her plans.

The “hot mess inside a dumpster fire, inside a train wreck” is a solid take. I would have loved to see the approval numbers had Bernie gone third party here. (Before you kill me, I understand that would have made Trumps position stronger and this is only as a hypothetical) Bernie would have crushed in this debate. Angry, sure, but back in on the issues like a laser beam, not mudwrestling. Bernie has vision, real tangible plans and answers to healthcare, climate, end corruption, international relations, everything these two stooges lack completely. That said Biden has less far gone dementia than feared. Maybe they juice him up on Adderall, it doesn’t much matter, he is still ****, but far less **** than Trump.

He did. They were all there on the campaign website. https://berniesanders.com/issues/ probably still there, far more detailed than EWs for example who was somewhat famous for her plans.

Biden also happens to have a website. Shocking I know

https://joebiden.com/joes-vision/

Plenty of policy stuff. A bit hard for Biden to make it clear when he has a moron screaming at the other end of the stage, and the debate moderator asking stupid questions.

Also, we had so many Bernie-Biden debates already, complete with annoying extra parties on the stage. And a one on one debate, where Bernie stans tried the Dementia angle and it fell completely flat.

Also, I happen to remember when Warren released actually detailed plans, and Bernie fans shat on her for being a nerd and just kept repeating slogans. Which is also what Bernie did. His plans are not how the healthcare system work in the rest of the world, and it doesn't set out a clear way to do it, it is literally magical pie in the sky. We will cover everybody, fully, with everything and pay for it with ???

And his entire plans would add an estimated 60 Trillion extra in expenditure over 10 years, which is more than double the federal government's current total expenditure.

And lol on foreign policy. Bernie's plan is tariffs and retreat. Tariffs are already shown to be a failed policy tool, as Trump has shown.

And of course, he had zero ideas on how to pass any of it and was resistant on doing stuff like getting rid of the filibuster, that would make it actually possible. Or using extensive executive orders, like Harris or Warren proposed. His plan was basically reconciliation, and speeches.

Don't confuse radicalism for being the only one with a plan

Watching Biden in the debate was nothing short of disgusting.
When will people realize that at least Trump has a fan base? What does Biden have? Some tv channels?

Man, you think that after the Democratic primary happened, people would realise that Biden does have an enthusiastic base of support. Older lower to middle-class voters, particularly African Americans. Who are critically unserved in terms of attention given by the media, and online. Which is why his primary win ended up being a surprise.

A perfect encapsulation of that, is Biden going to the NY Times for an endorsement interview, who ended up giving a joint one to Warren and Klobuchar (which is stupid). But he got a rave endorsement from the black security guard, which became a viral moment.

Let alone the usual Democratic partisans that every Democrat would pull, and the people that hate Trump. Biden has well over 90% of Democrats in his pocket already, and the few that aren't are more likely to be conservative Dixiecrats, who are Democrats in name only. And he has an overwhelming majority of independents. And he has 8% of former Trump voters, so he is winning over some Republicans, and winning back some Obama-Trump voters. There is a reason he is leading by 7-9 points nationally on average.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom