1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

2020 US Election

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Lexicus, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Don't be a wet blanket Lex :p

Lexicus likes this.
  2. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I feel like there is no way I could possibly ever be as much of a wet blanket as Pete Buttigieg, he is like ten million wet blankets somehow transmuted into a human form

cardgame and Kyriakos like this.
  3. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I want someone to make my dreams come true and make a music video out of fictional rapper "Thugnificent"s song "Booty Butt Cheeks" featured in The Boondocks , whereby they edit the words "Booty Butt Cheeks" into "Booty Judge Pete".

I'm too lazy... someone else pleeeeease do it, do it, gogogogo :bounce: :banana:

Lexicus likes this.
  4. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I have made that mental association so many times except I say to myself "booty judge cheeks booty judge cheeks"
    Unfortunately this task is far beyond my capabilities

Sommerswerd likes this.
  5. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Regardless of his policies, it is quite a feat that as a Mayor and a Gay Man he is still in the race. It's an encouraging sign. (but yes, you should elect a woman first)

Birdjaguar likes this.
  6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Indeed, it is quite a feat that he is a candidate just because he is gay and regardless of gray/unpopular policies. Just not a positive feat; just the usual media fake hype.

7. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Don't underestimate the positive impact of role models and also of normalization in media (fiction and news). It's knowledge that gets distributed further and further. Society is changing rapidly, but it takes quite a long time for that change to take roots. But yes, this is about Inclusion and not about the presidential race. But frankly, the American media doesn't seem to cover issues or policies with any other candidate as well, at least not with further details than "he/she is progressive".

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Ran into an interesting bit of information just now.
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...-larger-share-of-bernie-sanders-base-than-men

Have to say this isn't too surprising given that women generally tend to be more left-leaning than men.

cardgame and Kyriakos like this.
  9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

10. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Older? A Bernie fan? Both?

11. Narz

Narz keeping it real

It's kind of a critical juncture for humanity, not sure electing presidents in some sort of politically correct order should be a top priority (though I'd certainly be down for a president from the most distrusted subgroup in America at any point)

Spoiler :
    atheists

12. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Donald Trump is an atheist. Well, no, he thinks of himself as a godlike figure, but you get my point.

However, he does cater to various religious extremist groups and forward their interests.

Also… are you sure that atheists are more distrusted than, say, Negroes or Injuns?

13. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

I don't know about orientation, ethnicity or skin color but polls say atheism is the most distrusted group in regards to religion.

It seems that the general consensus among US Christians is that gayness can be "cured"/suppressed or at least tolerated a little; but once someone realizes that religion isn't real then there's no going back.

14. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Even more than Mooslems?
    There's probably an unmeasured variable here somewhere, i.e. to some groups Islam is more intolerable but overall atheists are more distrusted. At this point, and this late at night, this is just a conjecture from me.
    :ack:
    Religion is a real thing. Whether you believe in the supernatural, be it gods, the undead, spirits, shamans, etc. is another matter, but religion as such is real.

15. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

don't be silly takh, religion is a myth created by the church of atheism to scare you straight

mitsho likes this.
  16. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

Religion is not a real thing in the sense that its peddlers insist. Just because there is a Star Trek convention doesn't mean there is a real Enterprise flying around blowing up Death Stars.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    cardgame and hobbsyoyo like this.
  17. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Comprehension fail.

Religion exists, Trek doesn't it's entertainment.

18. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Yes. We're openly despised and disparaged but a lot of the stigma has faded with the younger generation even as it persists with the older people. Coming out as an atheist can break up a family the same way coming out as gay did for most people until recently (and it still happens for gay people of course but is trending better). It's almost completely verboten to be an atheist in politics as a result.

People say that age is the last area where discrimination is allowed in our society but I disagree because of how atheists are treated and perceived.

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Deval Patrick (former governor of Massachusetts)jumped into the Democratic race, bringing the total of people running back up to 18. Mark Sanford (former SC governor) dropped out of the Republican race. He says the specter of impeachment has crowded him out of the race and prevented him from raising funds.

Full list of candidates.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Given it is one year to the actual election, it seems really dumb to have 18 candidates...