5 city conquest challenge

@opac your in! thats enough players unless anyone pops up soon, get on with the game then all? (btw i intend to play solo emporer next epic i play)
just a rough playing order
opac
grs
gozpel
the mole
hajime
no particular reasons for any of it, apart from keeping me and hajime from the early positions. if you wanna move just say.

also @ opac, the no suicidal thing was more dont leave the player after you in big trouble if you can help it (and i think it was more for hajime and me more than you good players:p)

i dont know what to aim for tech wise (i havnt built the great library for moths, since i read the wonder addiction article :p), but say the word and ill start the game... should i post a screenshot of the start locationg before doing anything?

i dont know what to aim for tech wise (i havnt built the great library for moths, since i read the wonder addiction article :p), but say the word and ill start the game... should i post a screenshot of the start locationg before doing anything?
Depends if you want to or not :) Some start their games right away, others want a bit of advice first. If you decide to post a screenshot first, you should wait for some advice from gozpel, once he recovered from clearing the storm damage, otherwise start away.

On research. The Great Library is probably not mandatory on a emperor 5cc, but it would be a great help indeed. There is no reason to dash for literature unless we have a pre-build running for the Great Library in time. We may want pottery as first research topic on a continents map to get a settler factory online if possible.

Pottery then a rush for Lit then, GRS?

Or just hope for a civ with a starting tech of pottery? ;)

On the turn order subject, I'd actually prefer to be moved up - the earlier, the better ;).

My game problems are right around turns 35-60ish (What I'm currently working on to improve), and my current position puts me right where I am at my absolute weakest ;). My current strongest points are on turns 1-20....The very reason why I joined a SG ;). I'm hoping to improve on my weakest part early game by watching what a stronger player does ;).

My messy life will be back in order in a day or two, then I can concentrate on my SG's again.

Just a couple of points:

Give in to early demands, with only 5 cities we can't afford getting dogpiled.

Remember, towns can be replaced if we don't like a particular site. It doesn't cost too much and is a good tactic to use, especially of there is some resource or something that we really want and can't keep it as colony.

GLib isn't necessary. We will try to get our towns to full pop pretty quick and with careful research and some luck, we can do some twofers.

Culture is good, temples and libraries fairly early will help us in the long run.

Unit cost will be a problem sooner or later, so we also want barracks so we can produce vets.

And of course we want to find iron and horses ASAP.

Before we start we need to discuss the opening basics, like research paths and so on.
A screenie of the start would be a nice introduction to this game :)

There are many other things to consider when playing 5CC, but for now I think I gave you enough to think about.

Btw, let grs start. I don't know opac and his skill levels, but the first 20 turns are quite important. I would've taken the start if I had time.

grs will also polish his typing skills in a game like this, so I don't have to do all the input :lol:

At least I'm happy we have a team.

Gozpel: On the subject of twofers...what techs are most valued by the AI, and what techs of those do we have a chance to get to before the AI?

And can they lead to more potential benefit then the GLib? (Lit is worth quite a bit to the AI, right? I know I managed a twofer + gold offa one civ, and a twofer for lit + gold from the next civ for Lit in my current game....)

Then there is always the other Glib benefit - we go along one specific tech path, ignoring all others, and allow the AI to research for us...I.e., we can go straight for (construction/republic/monarchy) in the AA, then straight for metallurgy/military tradition in the MA...

A bit of clarification when I speak of Lit: I'm assuming that we go straight for Philosophy then grab Lit as our free tech ;).

Also, on the subject of free techs, how long will this SG go? Is it worth planning out any late-game wonders - i.e., Theory of Evolution?

The AI simply loves Philo, CoL and Lit to name some. It also depends what rivals we have, sometimes Myst -> Poly works pretty good. And of course any gov-techs.

I'm not saying I'm totally against building GLib, I only said it isn't necessary. So if the team wants to go that path, I'm happy to follow.

Usually we should try to get the Republic slingshot in a game like this, but I'm willing to go for whatever if the team decides so.

To get later wonders you have to be very lucky, i.e. the AI whacks the sanity out of each other or by getting SL. I don't think it is important to get any expensive wonder at the cost of military, after all this is a conquest game and we WILL have to fight sooner or later.

But no silly "suicide-moves" please :) Careful planning and choosing the right allies will help us much more.

grs
hajime
gozpel
opac
the mole

sound good? will post a opening screen shot in a minute...

ummmmm, taking ages to upload so i will try again in the morning, start looking ok, got wines and tobacco on a river near the coast.... however no food bonuses and jungle to the NE

Mole: Sounds great. That's probably where I'd be best at in the first round, plus it'd skip me where I'm the weakest. It'd also give grs the critical first rounds.

Gozpel: Would you define 'suicide moves' please? ;)

I'm kinda lost as to why that term gets thrown around at this point - firm examples would be nice?

As for the tech tree: Since the comp loves both Phil and Lit, it sounds like a good idea to beeline for Lit via Phil. If we start with Alphabet or pottery (Or both?), it sounds like an even better idea....But what about myst->poly? Doesn't that have an even shorter tech tree (Hence easier to get early), or is it just the AI loves it and doesn't really bother to research it much?

Early wonders: Should we try to get The Collosus, since we start next to the coast?
Great Library, if we go for Lit?
And as we are a warmonger, should we try for Statue of Zeus if we get Ivory? And Knights Templar?
Or should early wonders even be bothered with - even if we can get them?

Hajime: That's easy to explain. No silly 3 archers trying to raze a town just because they "can". All wars has to be planned and organized and must not be started without team-discussion. If an AI makes some sneaky stuff, we are allowed to take a break to discuss the next few turns.

The only "suicide" I would agree on are suicide-galleys :lol:

I don't care much about wonders in games like this, except the GLib if we want that and of course it has to be nicely timed.

SoZ would be really nice if we have a chance to grab it, but what are the odds for that?

The only other wonder that I would like to have on a map like this would be the Lighthouse, it alone can decide if you meet other civs far away to trade with.

But wonders are costly and we need improvements in our few town more than fancy stuff.

Gozpel: Ah.

The biggest question left, however, is that what about my prior example?

What if the AI declares war on -you-, and if you use a suicide attack, it's possible to take their capital - and negotiate peace?

It's a very effective method, but it would fall under the realms of "suicide"...and it's the only way I've saved my butt against a stronger AI several times.

We will have 5 cities up and running soon enough, and all we can do in a situation like you describe, is to raze their capitol. Well, if we have the military for it of course. I don't want to get in to a situation like that anyways and prefer to stay on friendly terms as long as possible. Meanwhile we build up our tiny empire and one day we can dictate the terms :)

Normally, you just hunker down and defend until you can negotiate for peace.

To avoid being snuck up on, we will have to try to establish embassies and creating traderoutes early on. That usually keep the AI off your back.

EDIT:

and all we can do

What am I saying? One of the things we can do, of course... :crazyeye:

There's no need to rush anywhere before we have seen the starting position.

But I guess that we should research Pottery first, that's never a too daring move :)

Forget about wonders until we have the game up and running.

I agree with the decision to pull me from 1st spot to later part of roster as the start is weakest point of my gameplay as far as i know :)

ok, that playing list is how itll be then, as germany we start with bronze working and i think pottery??? not sure bout that.
philosophy-> lit sounds good to me, unless we get there and decide to take map making, depends on the size of our continent.illtry and post the screenshot then

Top Bottom