1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Dawn Bug Reports and Feedback

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metalstorm

Metalstorm Chieftain

No, only CIV 4 BTS 3.19 AND 1.75b,
    downloaded as AND 1.75 at sourceforge and patched with patch a and b.

The grapihc bug is a Civ 4 BTS bug?
    If there is somebody how is able to post that bug to Firaxis (if someone checked it) ?

System
    XP SP3 32 Bit
    Core2Duo 7300 @ 2*2,66 GHz 3MB L2 Cache
    4GB DDR2 800 (3328MB useable)
    HD 4850 Sapphire 512 MB GDDR3

2. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Suposidly it is in the engine they bought of someone else. So they can't release the code nor change it.

3. jimmy10fingers

jimmy10fingers Chieftain

Hi,
    could someone post me a link for the patchs of AND. Tried in vain last week to get it workin on my new laptop. My old pc was able to run it, but it was so slow i never finished a game (5min per turn in the 16th century). My laptop should be able to run it fine. I installed RoM and that works fine, but i cant play it after playing AND. When i install and run AND, it crashes while loading, giving a memory allocation failure. Something about 1 not being defined. It cycles through seemingly endless error messages until i end the program.
    Anyway, going to try it again with the patches (couldnt find them last week) and ill probably be back on if that doesnt work, so if anyone has any ideas whats going on, help would be gratly appreciated! Cheers.

PS, effin unreal mod!

4. Kwami

Kwami Deity

5. Baron03

Baron03 Baron

Whenever I start a game, at the top screen a bunch of errors are listed that never go away. Everything was running perfectly until all of a sudden this happened.

6. Flay

Flay Prince

I am sorry but I need some help.
    I have installed AND 1,75 + c on several PC without problem.

Yesterday I did a clean install of WIN7 64 on one PC than installed CIV + AND, but the mod doesn't start. if I use a direct shortcut to the mod, it start to load (I think), as in the task manager you can see precess with CIV, but after a litle time civ desapear from the task manager and well nothing.
    If I first start CIV than load AND it do about the same closing CIV, and never came back to it.
    I tried other mod (thos include with BTS) without probleme.

I use the same install path on every PCs: D:\civ

Damned this is the first time that I encounter a probleme with AND.

Please Help !
    :)

7. os79

os79 Deity

Remembered to download BtS 4.19, (remember ingame installer is a liar), and install that patch to BtS? :)

8. Flay

Flay Prince

Well OS79, you maybe have a clue there. I went maybe a bit fast and forgot the BTS patch !

I do not understand :"(remember ingame installer is a liar)"

9. os79

os79 Deity

Not relevant if you look like you understand the rest of my post.

It basically mean the installer inside the game itself that say it will update the game. It is a liar. You know:
    Main Menu--->Advanced--->(Update? [Don't remember the exact wording])

10. LeEmmerdeur

LeEmmerdeur Chieftain

@Tenketsu
    Yeah I have the exact same thing happening. I have a decent comp and have been using CIV4mods for years, its installed in the correct directory and patched. I've also repaired my C++ runtime junk and reinstalled patched and updated BTS all to no avail. Everything else works (ROM 2.91 and others).
    This mod looks like it will melt my face. Can anyone gimme a hand here?
    Really want to play this one.

11. amrod

amrod Warlord

Now I tried it on another PC...
    Pentium dual-core 2.5GHz, 2GB RAM, winxp, geforce 9500gt,512MB.

It took 12 minutes to install the mod. (And it's still funny, it wants to write to the registry, yet it can't read the Civ4 folder's location from it! Come on! Btw why on earth do you want to write to registry??? It's a mod only!!!!)

Then it took about 3.5 minutes of loading just to show the loading screen (until then, not much indication that it started loading at all), then another 2 minutes to load the main menu. (And it's way better then my laptop, where it took a few times that time).

Starting a new game (now on standard size to be safe) was relatively quick now, and the game itself played with a good pace, too. (Didn't dare to play on huge or larger for now).

But then after a hundred turns or so it quit with error. "Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings." (What is there to reduce in this game? I didn't install the blue marble or formations. Resolution is fixed with LCD. There's no antialiasing or whatever, it's not a 3d fps game or what! It's a 5 years old game... And I'm running 3D games on this pc without problems...) (And Civ's developers didn't learn, Civ5 is even worse, it actually takes some seconds to redraw the terrain when I move the map!!! A relatively static, limited size map!)

12. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Playing a standard map with 2GB of memory would be pretty painful, I bet. I doubt that the game actually failed to allocate video memory. More likely, you ran out of system memory and the game's error messages are just wrong.

I'm with you on the installer. It has no reason to write to registry and it never finds the correct Civ4 installation folder anyway. I'd much rather have a non-installer version of the mod. Last time I asked, Affo said that he uses the installer to take advantage of its awesome compression since the mod is so large. Oh, well. :/

13. os79

os79 Deity

No, wrong ;).

He use installer because it help you choose properly the interface colors, whether or not to have Formations, and whether or not to have Blue Marble. The installer automatically adjust MLF file accordingly.

Why? Simple answer: many, many end-users are just ignorant of these small tweaks for installing these addons.

Honest :shrug:. Don't believe me? Ask Afforess if you must.

14. Sjru

Sjru Dragon

Got a py exception here. Dunno if someone would care but I'll report it anyways.

Code:
    Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvRandomEventInterface", line 5467, in applyMalaccanPirates1

RuntimeError: unidentifiable C++ exception
    ERR: Python function applyMalaccanPirates1 failed, module CvRandomEventInterface

It's not recurrent, but casual, since it's an event. Until now, I've had 2 crashes related to this event. Anyone?

15. LeEmmerdeur

LeEmmerdeur Chieftain

I did find what seems to be a work around, in case others have found the same problem.
    I re downloaded the installer to eliminate the possibility of a bad download. Then installed to .../BTS/Mods directory
    Then negelcted to patch to 1.75 C
    Yup, seems to work without the patch, though I still got quite a few MAF errors.
    So then I used the 3 Gig switch outlined elsewhere in the forum and now am having a kickass time with this most excellent mod.
    Also, I can't find the A new Dawn.log file in my main ROM directory or the ROM-AND directory. Is that normal? Looked all over.

16. Kwami

Kwami Deity

Uh, I did. He said it was because of the awesome compressions. It's in one of these stickied topics.

17. os79

os79 Deity

No, it wasn't a reason he use an installer. It is just an added tidbit in an installer. However, my point is this: the installer was used instead of zipped file because this modpack is easier to install with an installer executive instead of zipped file.

Granted there are few awkwardness for tiny percentage of users, but the majority install this modpack just fine with this installer. The same wouldn't had been said if Afforess use zipped file.

18. amrod

amrod Warlord

Then we are in that minority of users who find unpacking a zip file easier than running an exe that can't even find the directory, and which also takes 12 minutes or more to run.

I have to admit, that in my case, I'm against the current trend. That is, everyone on the net says "come on, hard disk space is free! hundreds of gigs! why care about a few hundred megs!"
    Well I do care. Actually bandwidth is cheaper for me than hard disk... That is, it'd be better for me to download the zip file (in my workplace), put it on a dvd and at home, extract it from the dvd right onto the civ4 directory, no drive C temp files involved. Yes, I had a hard time making 1,5GB free on drive C. A new laptop hdd doesn't come with my breakfast :(
    But I guess I'm the minority :D

Though this problem does arise in several other applications and they can add up pretty nicely... Adobe reader taking up 100-200MB (switched to Foxit, less than 10MB), browser necessary log, etc. files taking up 100s of megs etc. I remember when I had a 40MB hard disk. People could write software at the time. Now they don't have to... (Nothing to do with this nice mod's author, he has to use what limits the game gives for modding).

Anyway, sorry for the detour. But I have to do something while I'm trying to convince myself of buying extra RAM, so I'm here writing stupid stuff.
    Still hard to accept that 2GB is not enough for this program... It's not even a real 3D application or what. It has a limited number of different graphic elements on a relatively small map. (I mean, if I can run Oblivion or NWN2 then why won't a civ4 mod run???) As far as I've read in some threads, one reason (at least for the slowness) can be the lot of python codes. (Do I understand correctly, there is interpreted code in this game? Funny, as when I used Basic for programming, it was viewed upon as useless :D)

19. NBAfan

NBAfan boss

I guess with 1TB Hard Drives now, some people don't worry about space.

20. Kwami

Kwami Deity

@amrod: Yes, Python is interpreted. It's also very slow compared to native code, but generally fast enough for what Civ4 was trying to accomplish. The problem here is that there's an absurd amount of Python running for all of the addons including in RoM+AND. So, it takes quite a while to load and initialize games and it takes quite a while for each turn once the number of civilizations grows high enough.

It's largely a limitation of the Gamebryo engine, though. Engines that allow for extensive modding like this one usually rely on an interpreted language (like Python or LUA) and XML. Allowing you to compile and run native code with the game is a recipe for trouble. Again, these languages are usually speedy enough to handle most normal modifications. RoM+AND is quite an exception with the amount of content it includes!

@NBAfan: I've got three 1TB hard disks. That doesn't mean that it's okay to waste space! I think the vast majority of the spaced used by RoM+AND is for art, though. There's not too much that you can do about that.

Anyway, down with installers! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.