A Tryst with Destiny

The Yagbu divisions

Spoiler :

"Ready ! Arms !" the commander shouted, five thousand archers readied their bows and assumed their fighting stance, a quiver was taken out and placed over the bow, an act repeated by five thousand men. "Take aim ! Fire!" The five thousand archers let loose their bolts and showered the soil with their projectiles.

This was only a training excersize, but thousands upon thousands of men from Bactria to the Tarim were recruited into Vima's army of defense. The Yagbu tribesmen were known for two great skills, their skills in archery and their skills with scouting. Four thousand Yagbu archers had marched with emperor Kujula Kadphises over six decades ago to face the armies of Persia and India.

Now six decades later, the grandchildren of those men now wear the leather garb of war and hold once more the bow and arrow of the Yagbu. Emperor Vima watched on as the men trained, standing beside him was his Senapati stood beside him and remarked on the archer's training, "Their aim are as firm as ever my liege. They will not miss their mark upon the enemy." but emperor Vima was not an easy man to please,
"There are not enough of them, we need no less than 25,000 to defend ourselves. How soon can you train all of them ?"
"My .. my liege.. it is not as simple. The Yagbu are many and varied from different tribes and hold different faiths. To train enough new recruits and in the same numbers will take long."
"I give you 8 months. The army must be ready before the enemy comes near our capital."
"That is not enough time."
Vima looked sternly at the commander, "You will make do with it !"

The commander did not know how he would achieve such a target so soon, the only option left to him then would be to recruit raw conscripts. It was a desperate measure, but that was the only path that remained for the beleaguered empire.

Vima Takto walked down to the training grounds and inspected the troops in person. He had an intimidating persona that commanded authority, age had not withered the ferocity of his eyes nor the firmness of his stature, but under that aura of authority lay doubts. 'Children' he thought to himself, as he walked passed the young trainee soldiers, 'just young delinquents. I see no ferocity in their eyes.' the men stood as firm as they could, some tried too hard to hide their inadequacies but betrayed a sweat or gulp as Vima walked passed them. The emperor noticed one trainee no older than 16, he looked into his eyes,"You there!" the trainee instinctively gulped, his diadems started to tremble, "Yes my liege!" he tried his best to shout. The emperor walked closer to him, "Have you seen battle ?" the emperor questioned in a cold low voice, the soldier couldn't answer, that tested the emperor's patience, "Have you seen war!?" he questioned once more, more sternly.

The soldier still trembling bowed his head, and murmured an answer, "No .. emperor". Vima looked at him with contempt his hands still folded behind his back, he took a look around him and saw the same gentle timid faces. He turned around disappointed and walked away shaking his head, "Heaven save us all.."

------------------------------------------

The final journey of the lankan army

Shravana's children had not seen their native land, Pataliputra and Magadh was the only country they knew. Shravana had lived most of his adult life as an archer in the Army of Lanka, stationed in the city of Pataliputra manning its defenses. For twenty five years he had served as a defender of Magadh, a land that was foreign to him. In his heart he longed for the beaches and hills of Anuradhapura. His sons however, did not share his feelings.

Today was the day that he would get his heart's desire, since the day Raja Chulabhaya left Magadh, the men of the army of Lanka had been slowly returning to their homeland, and today the archer division would return, the last Lankans to leave. The Lankan navy had been stationed in Bengal carrying the troops back to the island kingdom, the docks of Tamralipt were filled by hundreds of ships of the Lankan navy. Shravana gathered his children with him, "Come on children, now we will go to our homeland."
"Magadh is our homeland father, all our friends are there, its the only place we ever know."
"Magadh is the best father ! Why are we leaving ?"
"Don't argue with me children ! We are under the service of Raja Chulabhaya, and the Raja has called us back."

Shravana's wife Uma, was a woman of Magadh, she had married him out of love. It was a relation that his family had agreed to reluctantly. There was little that they could have done to stop it, knowing that their son was so far away from home, in a foreign land so different than their own. She did not envy going back to Lanka. She walked with her husband silently holding her thoughts in. 'What does the future hold for me there ? in that small island ? .. will Shravana's father and mother accept me ? .. a shurdra hindu girl ?'

The galley to take the archer division had arrived a day back, it did not take very long for Shravana to identify it. A lankan galley with a large blue insignia on the sails, beside which was drawn the mark of a bow and arrow. "That is our ship." his heart raced with excitement, but it was not one shared among his family. The four walked over the wooden steps onto the galley with sacks containing their belongings.

Spoiler :

The chronicles would speak of a fantastic but brutal victory, one without precedent in the history of Bharata, they would fail to mention how this victory was achieved. Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni marched his troops North with vengeance and hate, every second day was a forced march. Sleep was a luxury the army of Magadh was denied, they had to stay awake lest the Kushan raiders attack their encampment. It was a gruelling march for the army and it put a drain on empire's finances.

A hundred thousand troops, largely composed of infantry with only one division of horse archers and another division of war elephants. The Kamboja's own homeland was not unlike this harsh place, the horses were adapted to the terrain along the Oxus and found no difficulty sustaining themselves. The greatest difficulty was caused to the elephants. Food, water and replenishment had to be brought from the empire's homeland to sustain these beasts. When that was not enough, the army of Magadh took to pillaging and threatening the outlying villages for their produce. Before long famine gripped the Tocharian lands, the army of Magadh began to be called the army of the three sorrows. This army of a civilized nation had become Kushans themselves.

In the camp, frustration and war weariness was creeping in. Soldiers from the archer division gathered before their commander, they were anxious and angry. "We have been fighting and marching for five years. When the hell are we going to get to the capital ?" one soldier angrily shouted, "Do we even know where we are going ? It was ages since we crossed the Oxus, if you ask me, I think we're just goin in circles!" another young soldier complained bitterly, then some of the soldiers started shouting out the commander's name, "We demand to speak with our commander !" "We need answers !"

The commander rushed out of his tent angrily, "What do you maggots want !" it failed to intimidate the soldiers, "We want answers!" one of the soldiers spoke out who was unofficially chosen as the representative. "We have been fighting here for five long years and the only people we have faced are a bunch of shepherds and sentry guards! We came here for victory and battle. Samrat had told us that we wouldn't have to fight, we would roll over the enemy. Where is the enemy ? Our families need us back home commander."

The commander raised his hand, he looked at the soldiers with an admonishing frown, "You are men of war. You are men of strength, you are the best to come from the empire of Magadh ! .. and what do I see before me ? A bunch of whining little boys who want to go back to their wives or mother's bosom! A fie on you all ! Thoo!" he spit on the ground to express his disgust. He could see that the archers were only becoming angrier at his words, "This is war, not some game or play. There are such things as strategies and tactics, that is not meant for you foot soldiers. You are paid to fight not to think ! If the Samrat has ordered to fight shepherds and sentry guards, then we fight sentry guards and shepherds. The day he tells us to attack Afrasiyab and fight Kushan warriors, we will fight them on that day !"

The soldiers looked at one another, and muttered angered words among themselves. "Take us to war now or take us back home!" one sodier shouted out, others started to chant "To war or to home!" soon everybody was chanting it "To war or to home!" the commander's voice was eclipsed by the soldiers, who tried to order the men to stand down. Fed up at his mutinous men, he walked away from his tent and called upon the Senapati. The soldiers at the encampment echoed the sentiments of the archers, but they did not yet come out in the open.

The commander hastily walked into the samrat's tent, at the time he was examining the war plans against the Kushans and the intelligence reports that had came his way. "Afrasiyab's forces are yet to be infiltrated by our spies, and you tell me that Emperor Vima is raising a vast army of archers from the Yagbu tribe ?"
The commander bowed and saluted "Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni ki jai! Samrat it is I , the commander of 2nd archer division. I want to convey an urgent news."
"What news could be so urgent as to interrupt me ?"
"Samrat.. the men are protesting. Discipline is breaking down, the men want answers."
"What are they saying."
"To war or to home!" the chants could now be heard outside the samrat's tent. He gave a concerned look and walked out with his sword sheathed in its scabbard. Before him stood thousands of soldiers protesting and each chanted the same words, "To war or to home! To war or to home!"

The emperor could sense the urgency of the situation now, the heat fatigue and forced marches up the Oxus had begun to take their toll on the army. The emperor raised his hand and the protesters stopped their chanting, "Soldiers of Magadh. I hear ill of you, I hear that your resolve weakens. At this time today, when we are in the house of the enemy, we cannot afford to be weak. We must be strong, for our goal is not far. I have heard your call, to war or to home. But ask yourself this, if you go home now, would there be a home to go to ? The Kushans are rallying their forces, they are preparing for an invasion the likes of which was never seen by our past generation. This would bring Bharat and Parasika to its knees. Magadh would be humiliated. But if you stand strong and fight with me, then I promise you I will bring you to Afrasiyab, and all shall be entitled to the wealth of the Kushans, the wealth they stole from our forefathers. Your grandchildren will drink from cups of gold, and the empire shall have extinguished its greatest threat. Is this not worth fighting for ? Can you not brave the desert sands of Tocharia for a better future ?"

The men had now calmed down, the words of the Samrat had calmed them. The anger was all but gone, but a yearning for battle still remained, a soldier came forth and questioned, "Samrat, for five years we have only been fighting shepherds and sentrymen. It insults our warrior spirits, this cant be an honorable war ?", to this the samrat responded, "You want battle I see. Then battle you shall have ! It is several hundred miles North from here that you will find the capital city of Afrasiyab. If you men have not lost the strength, then you shall march within the hour!" the men cheered with joy after hearing this news. "Now this war can be brought to an end!" a soldier remarked.

The samrat walked back to his tent, his advisors and commanders looked at him incredulously, "Why did you lie to those men Samrat ?"
"I did not lie."
"We cannot march to Afrasiyab just now ? What happened to waiting for the fall of the emperor ?" the commander of axemen said,
"That will happen regardless, the only change now would be the manner of his fall."
"How do you intend to march us over to Afrasiyab ? Do we meet them in the open desert fields ?"
"No.. absolutely not." The samrat then pointed to the map before him, "We shall move our troops through the hills."
"That is impossible ! the elephants would not survive this !"
"I am in command of the elephant divisions. I have seen them survive the Thar, they can survive Tocharia."
"But their replenishment ?"
"I should reckon we have enough to last us for a week's journey."

Samrat Gautamiputra knew fairly well that he had lied to his men, but he also knew the value of a strategic delay. He estimated that Vima was being deceived even as the Army of Magadh continued its march Northwards. The journey through the hills would not be short, there will be obstacles along the way, perhaps they may not arrive at all. It was a gamble, that was deliberately planned.

Spoiler :

------------------------------------------------------------------

At the palace of Afrasiyab

Emperor Vima Kadphises had wanted an army of 25000, and he had it. Afrasiyab felt secure under their protection, but the emperor did not feel confident. Every passing day that the Army of Magadh marched over Tocharia he felt a fear building up within him.

The Yagbu archers grew restless, it became more and more difficult pay their wages. Every day that passed without fighting left the Yagbu frustrated, they demanded their pay or if not a chance at fighting so they may be done with this 'war'. The Yagbu commander came to the emperor once again, with the same complaint, "Our men want their pay."
"You'll get your money" the emperor growled, with more than a hint of contempt in his voice.
"Our loyalty shouldn't be taken for granted emperor. We are the only fighting troops you have ! If you lose us, you have nothing!"
"Yes Purandar, you have told me before, no less than half a dozen times."
"Then why do you keep trying our patience ! All you have my men do is stand around aiming at the sand. Every day you worry and fear for an enemy that is too cowardly to come forth !"
"Hold your tongue Purandar!" the emperor shouted out, "You never faced the Army of Magadh in battle ! You have no idea what we face."
"I have idea enough, that our emperor has lost the nerve for battle."
"Purandaar !" the emperor lost all patience at that remark and drew out his sword against him. He swiped at the commander but stopped just short of cutting over his shoulder.

"You cannot kill me, emperor Vima" the commander stated coldly with a sly smile. Vima's hands shook with anger, an anger reflected with intensity in his eyes. Slowly and reluctantly he took back his sword. A realization dawned on him then, the strength of his dynasty and of the empire was fading. "Go" he said in disgust, "Go ! You'll get your damned money..". The commander walked out with a cocky and confident demeanor.

Emperor Vima Takto went back to his throne and sat brooding rubbing his hands over the armrests of the throne. Soon afterwards, his Senapati arrived before the emperor. The Senapati bowed and spoke to the emperor, "Greetings emperor Vima Takto."
"Speak Senapati .."
He looked behind him at the open gate of the throne room, "The Yagbu archers are restless."
"Tell me something I do not know, your job after all is not to state the obvious is it ?"
"indeed no. What I am here to tell you Emperor, is of an offer."
"An offer ? from whom ?"
"From me father !" the voice of the crown prince, Vima Kadphises came from behind the senapati.

It was a stark surprise for the emperor that both the senapati and the crown prince should treat with him. 'What are these two up to ..' the emperor thought with concern, "What are you offering ?"
"A preemptive strike ! So far we have only waited and waited with no result for the Army of Magadh to come to Afrasiyab. Our scouts sent to trace them never return. Those in our Western and Southern regions report no movement of any army of such size. It would seem, that the enemy has chosen stealth to hide before they come to our borders. However, if we preempt their attack, by a lightning raid on their border towns.."
"Enough !" the emperor halted his son with a raised hand, "I have understood what your .. 'offer' is, and it will be our doom. You would have taken our only good defense and sent them across the Oxus to attack the well defended citadels of Herat ? And what would that give us ?"
"It will force the Army to turn back to defend their homes and give us valuable time to reorganize our forces."
"They will do no such thing you fool ! You don't know who leads them. It is the Samrat himself ! Gautamiputra Satakarni!"
"My liege, I feel your prince's offer is good. We should consider it."
"I am not speaking to you ! Let my son answer for this folly of a plan. Answer me son, did you wake up today and decide to gamble away the future of our empire ?"

Vima Kadphises just stood with his arms folded and a look of disdain at his father. He did not utter a word and simply turned around and walked away. The Senapati tried to stop him, but he would not return, the father continued his admonitions as he walked away from the throne room. The emperor sat down on the throne with his hand to his head, "Oh heavens save us.. our dynasty is carried on by an incompetent."

The sun shone the next day no different than the one before, but there would be something remarkable that day. The emperor went to inspect the troops as he always did, only to find that 2/3rd of them had disappeared. Alarmed, the emperor called on his Senapati and Prince Vima. "Has that boy lost it !" he said to himself, as he ran hastily across the palace, "Vima! Senapati!" he called out. He finally spotted a pair of soldiers marching his way, it seemed like a royal guardsman, "You ! Where are the troops, where is the Senapati ?!"

The guardsmen looked at each other before answering to the emperor's questions, "My liege.. the Senapati left at the break of dawn with Prince Vima Kadphizes. They marched with thousands of Yagbu soldiers. They said, they had the sanction of the emperor in this decision..." Emperor Vima Taktu's face paled with anger. He felt enraged at this spite, yet he was helpless. 'Afrasiyab is undefended.. Afrasiyab is undefended..' he thought to himself,

--------------------------------------------------------

5 years later

After decades Emperor Vima Taktu once again donned his Ashvak armor. He sat on his throne holding his sword with both hands before him. His head was bowed and his eyes were closed, this was a man in prayer. 'I worshipped Indra and Hercules my entire life, I did my best to walk the path of my father. But that path led to my father's downfall, now I stare at the precipice of my doom. I only pray to you Buddha, the merciful one, at least in death, let me find salvation.. let me find peace'. He stood up and walked out of his palace. A steed awaited him at the gates which would take him to the Southern wall of the city, there the veteran garrison troops of Afrasiyab stood guard against an overwhelming enemy.

In the horizon a city of tents was erected within weeks. Over the five years, emperor Vima did as best as he could to slow and weaken the advancing Army of Magadh. The strategy only worked to delay the inevitable, no one anticipated Samrat Gautamiputra's tactical prowess. For the first time in history, an army with armored war elephants marched across deserts and over hills for hundreds of leagues without losing a single force. A long and difficult supply train lay at the foundation of this grand strategy.

Today was the day of reckoning. A hundred thousand troops of the Army of Magadh stood before the city of Afrasiyab. Facing this grand army was the garrison of Afrasiyab and the emperor's still loyal force of six thousand Yagbu archers. The host was outnumbered nearly ten to one. Emperor Vima stood on the defensive walls overlooking the hills to the South where the enemy had set up their camp.

"We meet again" he said to himself, recollecting his memories at the Paiyatra Parvat. "The hills will run red with blood once more," he turned to his men stationed on the walls and standing guard on the grounds below. "Defenders of Afrasiyab ! Fear not the enemy ! We may be outnumbered by them, but you have the sight and skills of the Tocharian lands. These lands are harsh and unforgiving, and they have made you strong ! Never forget that !" a fell wind blew from the South at that point, "The enemy sits in their camp waiting for an opportunity to strike. I say we let them come , let them come and taste the sting of our arrows !" a wild cheer went up from the soldiers when he said those words.

Then it was as if providence had struck, the sound of a conch shell blew from the South. "Prepare for battle!!" the emperor declared. Across the distance a column of swordsmen marched upon the walls of Afrasiyab bringing behind them tall wooden siege towers.

Spoiler :

The archers readied their weapons and took aim, they waited for the infantry to come nearer. "Fire!" the emperor commanded, every division followed this lead. Six thousand archers launched their arrows. Volley after volley after volley of arrows fired upon the attacking foe, each covered in flames. Several of the towers caught fire and burnt to the ground with swordsmen trapped in them, but many more survived the volleys.

The archers were relentless but the infantry was determined. Those that survived succeeded in scaling the walls and breached the Southern defenses of the city. The swordsmen embarked upon the archers with a vengeance killing maiming and slicing their way through the ranks. The archers fought valiantly but it was not enough, the infantry were strong and armored, their swords far outmatched the daggers of the Yagbu. The emperor himself killed over a dozen attacking infantry men with his double handed sword, but they still persisted. At the end it was through the most desperate of measures that they were brought down.

"Fire at will!" he ordered the archers below the walls to fire at the swordsmen battling on the walls. The dual attack of both divisions of archers overwhelmed the already weakened and battle weary soldiers. It was a victory for the Kushan, but the cost was too great. In four hours' time, the best warriors of the Kushan defenders lay dead on the ground. The emperor thought deeply, "Only one division.. and almost 2/5ths of our soldiers lay dead. Now the enemy numbers 94,000 and we number only 7,000. Defeat seems certain." as he looked up, he saw the sky turn a blood red with the setting sun.

Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni had a grim look on his face, his gaze was fixed on the the thousands of corpses piled up before the camp. Emperor Vima had the decorum to hand over the corpses of the fallen soldiers, but in doing so he also made a statement, "Count your dead". He looked on as the corpses kept piling, "How many did we lose ?" he questioned the divisional commander of swordsmen whose head was bowed in shame. "Six.. six thousand.. samrat" the commander answered stammering.

Though the commander took part in the fight, he had the good fortune to escape the fate that befell almost all of his men. Before the encampment on the plains below, 6000 corpses lay rotting. The samrat's grim expression hid the rage that burned in his vein, he turned around and looked at the commander and rested his hand on his right shoulder. The commander suddenly felt a shiver of fear run through him, he knew what he was guilty of. The blood of 6000 young able bodied soldiers was on his hand. Despite the samrat's clear orders that there would be no singular assaults, he went forth and charged Afrasiyab.

The samrat could sense the fear in the commander as thick beads of sweat ran down his forehead. The samrat did not waver his gaze, then quite unexpectedly, his grim look turned slowly into a sly smile. He took his hand off the commander's shoulder and walked with both hands behind him, still keeping that sly smile. "How many did you kill ?" the samrat asked,
"Samrat .. ?" the commander asked hesitatingly,
"I asked, how many did you kill ?"
"The dead .. were beyond count. But we killed more of the enemy than the enemy of us.."

The samrat's smile grew wider, "Then you have done well Sushrut." Unbeknownst to the commander and the men in his army, the samrat had anticipated such a foolhardy move by the commander of the swordsmen infantry. Though it was the archers who first dared to mutiny against the central command, it was the swordsmen who were most restless. Five years of grueling forced marches and a hopeless war of attrition on barren scorched hills had not brought them to heel as it had with the rest of the army, from time to time the swords would still threaten the unity and command of the army.

The army of Magadh replied to the brutal war of attrition with an equally brutal strategy of looting Afrasiyab's resources. The army sent out the Kamboja horsemen to raid along road and trade routes of the city striking hard and fast on the enemy's supplies. The army of Magadh announced its coming with starvation and impoverishment of the Kushans. It was a cold blooded tactic by the samrat but it showed results. The morale of the defenders had been broken, now the capital was ripe for conquest.

The swordsmen were overeager to join battle, now more than ever. The day before the assault of the swordsmen the samrat and the commander confronted one another. In that confrontation of words, the samrat's authority prevailed but he knew there was no way to tame this wild horse. The commander defied his authority and marched his men to the walls of Afrasiyab, the samrat knew but did nothing.

After the carnage, both sides lost thousands of men, but unlike the Kushans, the Army of Magadh had several thousands more to expend. After he returned to his tent, he called upon the commanders of every division and created a plan for final assault. The walls of Afrasiyab had been damaged in the course of the attack by the swordsmen, now the war elephants should make quick work of it, they would lead the charge on the walls as living rams. Then the kamboja horsemen and remaining armored infantry would move in under the cover of fire from the archer divisions. In this way, the samrat planned to overwhelm the enemy, but of the swordsman commander Sushrut he had a plan. "Commander Sushrut, tomorrow you shall get a chance at martyrdom."

Spoiler :

The battle began in dawn, even as the enemy was still licking their wounds. The citizens of Afrasiyab awoke to the horrifying sounds of iron armored elephants announcing their coming with the sounds of conch shells and the clanging of their armor and the thunder of their steps.

The hapless defenders struggled to stem the advance of the war elephants, but all in vain. This shock force or armored beasts was lead by none other than the samrat himself ! He rode his massive beast which rode on before all others, swinging his flail from its trunk, "Akramaaan!"(attack!) he commanded pointing to the large battered gates of Afrasiyab. Volley after volley of arrows were launched upon the invading soldiers, who responded with volleys of their own from atop their elephant fortresses, before long the war elephants broke through the gates and entered the city. The assault was going according to plan.

After the elephants came the horsemen, and after the horsemen came the infantry. One after the other, the attacks on the defenders were relentless. What the samrat had not contemplated however, was the stubbornness of the defenders or their desperation. The attackers entered Afrasiyab with minimal resistance at the walls or towers, but when they entered the thoroughfares of the city, is when they met with a rude shock.

The defenders had turned every house into a fort, every street corner into a death trap. They emerged from hidden doors, or barrels, out of the darkness with weapons in hand and pounced on the unsuspecting attackers. Afrasiyab had to be won street by street and house by house. In this gritty urban fighting, the mighty war elephants and versatile kamboja horsemen were next to useless. As dawn turned to day, and the sun began scorching the earth below, Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni sought his final solution.

"Samrat, we are losing men and gaining no headway. The routes to the palace are blocked. The enemy is conducting a most dishonorable fight, what are we to do ?" the commander of Kambojas asked.
"Commander, you forget, there is no honor in warfare. One does not win a battle with rats by chasing after each one of them. We win by destroying their hiding places."
The samrat looked from the top of his war elephant and saw the city before him. "We burn it down."
The kamboja commander smiled, "As you command samrat !" he turned around his steed and commanded his men to burn down every house and every building in the city. The fighting would continue for five more hours.

The last of the Kushans held out around the palace of Afrasiyab. Here Vima Taktu guarded his city and his family with his life. Within the palace walls there lay his two queens and daughter. The younger queen was pregnant with the future crown prince of the empire. This was the treasure that the emperor truly cared for, notwithstanding the 106 maunds of looted gold in the vaults of the palace.

Through the burning city, a hundred thousand soldiers descended like the plague upon the last citadel of the Kushans. Here the last five hundred defenders fought to the last to hold out against the army of Magadh. "Kill them all ! Spare no one !" the samrat thundered among the desolation he had caused. The thick smoke and bright flames blocked out the sun around them, enveloping Afrasiyab in a burning orgy.

Among the ruin, the men fought bravely but in vain. As the smoke cleared, Samrat Satakarni riding atop his war elephant, saw before him an ashvak warrior in royal armor. The two warriors looked at each other at the distance while the smoke cleared, and a scene of warfare and fighting ensued around them. Then they rode against one another, warrior against warrior. The horse was as frightened and maddened as the elephant, they charged with every ferocity in their bodies neighing and trumpetting as they charged against one another.

Samrat Satakarni took his spear and aimed to throw it at emperor Vima, while emperor Vima positioned his spear as if to joust. Both ended up flinging their weapons at one another, just at the moment the elephant raised as did the horse, their weapons were flung at one another. Destiny took hold, as Samrat Satakarni's spear pierced through emperor Vima's armor and went through his heart, while Vima's spear only grazed through the samrat's armor at his left shoulder blade.

The last Kushan emperor lay dead at the hands of Samrat Satakarni and his realm burned to ashes. What Samrat Satakarni would do next, would live on in infamy. The soldiers broke through the gates of the palace, and indulged in an orgy of looting. Not a soul was spared innocent and armed alike, not a stone was left unturned not an inch of that fair palace lay unmolested. When they at last secured the royal family, Samrat Satakarni came before them to pass judgment. "I took an army of a hundred thousand across vicious desert sands braving the hellish heat of Tocharia. Would I leave my victory incomplete, by letting Kushan scum live ?" he pointed to the womb of the younger queen. "In accordance with the laws of Magadh, a royal lineage cannot be extinguished by force. The laws of Magadh, do not apply to barbarians." he ordered his men, "Kill every last one of them, and don't leave the womb."

It's going great! I'm liking this Samrat!

Although it's a shame that the level of detail of your story is far deeper then the mod's complexity. If it was RAND, C2C, or RI, then this mechanic of joining troops together instead of fighting alone would make a difference in the gameplay. Right now its presence lies just in the story, not the game.

Aaannd we killed an unborn baby :p .

But yeah I like the sound of what you said Spirictum, I'll definitely give it a shot and see how that mod operates. Perhaps I'll think of a story around it, but later. At least after Chalukyan legacy ends.

An end to war

Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni had led the army of Magadh to a spectacular victory. It was a victory won over the wonton slaughter and immiserization of innocents. An entire nation was laid waste by the army of Magadh. Bharata had shown that it could wage war, not simply to defend its borders but to impose its writ over distant lands with the same ferocity and barbarity as its enemies. The emperor was now burdened with the task of leading ninety thousand battle weary soldiers across desert wastes and the scorched soil of Tocharistan.

It would not be an easy task. The army was strained for resources and the treasury was being drained to supply the needs of the army in a hostile distant foreign land, but the homeland beckoned. Urgent tasks had to be tended to, the samrat who had distinguished himself in war would now have to prove his worth in peace. The reforms initiated by Raja Abhaya had yet to be completed, pirates still harrowed the western coastline, the last phase of the transfer of troops to Lanka was still left to be fulfilled.

The samrat left the command of the army on its return to the able hands of his general and left for Pataliputra with a company of horsemen. For centuries pirate lords from Sindh have been reaving the coastland of Avanti keeping the region backward. Samrat Gautamiputra swore to drive them away from the sea, however, the empire did not have a war fleet. The only war fleet in the seas around the Southern and Western seas belonged to the kingdom of Lanka.

Spoiler :

Upon his arrival to Pataliputra he sent an emissary pleading with Raja Chulabhaya to transfer ships of the war fleet of Lanka to fight the Pirates. Raja Chulabhaya evaluated the situation before announcing his decision, "So the emperor of Magadh wants Lanka's help in fighting the pirates of Sindh. Lanka had aided the empire in its crisis of succession with her ships and men. Now he wants us to help with fighting these pirates." he rubbed his chin as he contemplated the request. The king was not blind to the larger picture however, the pirates struck far and wide and they struck with impunity. If the menace was not defeated on the coasts of Avanti, how long before they advance to Lanka ? What would he do then.

The raja concluded, "If the emperor wishes to fight the pirate menace, then Lanka would more than gladly participate. I offer him a fleet of 200 warships for the effort, but I shall do so only once the transfer of soldiers from Magadh has been completed." Thus, the second treaty of mutual defense was signed between Lanka and Magadh. It would be many more years before the treaty would come into effect, but the ground was prepared for the fight against the predatory pirates.

Spoiler :

Five years had passed since the emperor resettled himself to Pataliputra. The treaty had now come into force, the transfer of troops was final and completed with the galley fleet under Lankan control. As raja Chulabhaya had promised, two hundred warships were given over to the command of the Senapati of Magadh. Since the Kushan war, that position was held by none other than the samrat himself. Annexed to this position, was the position of the Navadhyaksh, the commander of the navy who was tasked with commanding the war fleet that had come to Magadh's control. Navadhyaksh Samudrasen was tasked with the expulsion of pirates from the coast of Avanti, a task he was most prompt in setting himself to.

Spoiler :

With these affairs under control, the samrat would now turn to the completion of reforms for each of the provinces of the empire. A hundred years had passed since the announcement of the moratorium on forced labor by Samrat Hala Satavahan. The old guilds and labor camps would now have to be reopened for the execution of future projects.

For many years Pataliputra had been suffering under the weight of diseases brought about by migration and exponential growth of the population. The people of the city and its surrounding villages regularly suffered from illnesses. One of the chief causes of which was the unsanitary and disorganized means of storing food. There was no central granary in Pataliputra, it was a most embarrassing omission of past rulers of this land that the center of Bharat would be allowed to wallow in such misery, but no longer. The samrat mobilized the resources of the province of Magadh for the expedient construction of a vast central granary that would house the produce of the Ganga.

Spoiler :

It was a cruel act for the greater good. All those who suffered from diseases such as dysentery and cholera were driven to work on the great granary. Many were worked to death while those that survived were expelled from the city. This was the cost of making Pataliputra healthy and ensuring her citizens would be well fed for future times. The people were not pleased by this policy, yet most were reluctant to blame the Samrat. He was a war hero, the protector of bharatvarsh, how could he do something so evil ? It had to be the foreigner king who fled his duty, Raja Chulabhaya who was blamed for this. It did not however, augur well for relations between Magadh and Lanka.

In time, the wounds healed, and Pataliputra re-emerged. The city grew more rapidly than before on the flow of immigrants. After the granary the samrat established a small step well which would be expanded over the years under his reign.

In the thirtieth year of the samrat's reign, the empire was reaching heights of prosperity not seen before. Scientific progress and cultural progress marked this time as cities and provinces were improved. Hard measures had been taken, but the fruits of the sacrifice had started to show. The reforms left unfinished by the previous Samrat, had been completed under Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni. On the thirtieth year, the year 111 of the Vikram Samvat, the empire saw the great trade road re-open while a new war elephant division was ready to be added to the strength of the Army of Magadh. The division would be ready for battle in five year's time.

Spoiler :

Whilst going over his administrative duties two reports were brought before the Samrat, both from the ministry for explorations. One report spoke of the affairs in the west and the other of the East, the emissary in Europa was now based in the Yavan homelands where he ended his perilous journey from Byzantion whilst in the East the exploratory fleet reported the founding of a new city in Brahmadesh.

Spoiler :

The samrat pushed these two reports aside for now. There will be another time to delve into the matters of distant shores. His singular focus was fixed on the affairs of the empire, in particular overseeing the completion of various projects and of the reforms that had been initiated during his reign. But even more importantly, the emperor had been working towards a grand plan to reunify the lands of Bharat under the central rule of Magadh and swore to achieve this 'without any suffering to the people of the South.'

Five more years passed, Samrat Gautamiputra had now ruled over the empire of Magadh for 35 years. The old ministers would now have to retire, but the samrat himself would still seat the lion throne. He took stock of the state of the empire on this day.

Spoiler :

The empire of Magadh, together with its protectorates, now held the august position of being the second most culturally advanced nation in the world. Only the Tang empire outshone it.

Spoiler :

Even so, it was the faith and culture of Buddhism that won over the hearts and mind of the Chin. In time, the ties of faith would bind that nation to Bharat.

On the economic front, the empire prospered adding 4 maunds of gold as surplus to the treasury every five years. The treasury of Magadh itself, boasted no less than 292 maunds of gold in reserve. A singular currency system was emerging and replacing barter and the archaic coinage systems in many towns and cities. Pataliputra's economy was now entirely gripped by the single state currency. Samrat Gautamiputra was satisfied, as we re his subjects with his rule, but there was still miles to go till the journey's end.

From the reports of the emissary to Europa -

Many a tale have been told, of the great Yavanas of yore. Yet, when I passed into what was once, the greatest city in the known world, all I saw was wonton barbarism and fear. There were sights that could humble one's soul. Byzantion is but a grand ruin that has fallen to uncivil people. Bandits bicker and fight for the control of this once great metropolis. The Great Lighthouse still stands, but in darkness watching with solemn sorrow at the fate of its people.

When I received the order to explore into Anatolia, I had to first recruit a party of Roman scouts as only they knew of a safe road to the troubled province. There had been news of civil war in the Eastern provinces of the empire, in Misr, in Anatolia, in Syria. The yahudis of Jerusalem had revolted and all their kin in the neighboring kingdoms and along the province of Syria had joined in revolt.

Whilst the revolt raged on, the empire was besieged by other perils from the North. In a vast and barbarian land known as Sarmatia, horsemen not unlike our Kushan foes, raided the northern lands of the empire. Some of them raided as far South as the Yavana lands. It was for these reasons, o samrat, that the journey to Anatolia was a most perilous one.

With great difficulty, I succeeded in finding a group of travelers who wanted to visit kin in the province of Dacia. I must confess, that I did not join this party through the most honest of means. My journey would take me into the troubled land of Thrace East of Dacia.

The journey through the rustic lands of Dacia was uneventful, but within the party, there was always the looming fear of barbarians. I was told by a fellow traveller of another band of travelers who were raided and looted by Sarmatian horsemen. They complain of the lack of security, that even the mightiest empire in the world has failed to secure for her citizens safe journeying. On this I can say with some pride that our own empire has been far more successful in securing the lives of its own citizens.

Dacia and Thrace took a week's journey from the Yavan homeland. I parted ways with the party once it was clear that I would journey to Thrace. It was a hostile land and the people of the province felt bitterly against anyone coming from the territories of Roma. I did not have an easy entry, but I was determined to move on, it was the command of the sovereign to explore Anatolia and I had but to obey. So it was, that I found myself across the borders of Thrace and resting in a small village. In my life I have seen many nightmares, but never did I feel one waking. I do not know, O samrat, how I can describe what I saw. I can only hope that I would never have to endure such sights.

There was not a soul in the village who did not live in fear. The self-styled king who sat in Byzantion would send terror platoons to these villages, where the impoverished villagers would give their all or face the sword. I alone know, how I evaded their prying eyes. The people in the village could well define suffering. There was no sleep in their eyes, only sorrow filled expressions, their bodies scrawny and some had their bones showing. It was a heartening sight. Yet the vile king does not feel shame in imposing ever newer burdens upon their shoulders.

There were no women in this village, save those who were only infant. Once a girl child reaches her tenth year, she is cursed to a life of servitude in the halls of Byzantion. I lingered for half a week in this village, only to learn that the straits between Anatolia and Thrace was blocked by the King who would not allow any traveler through. I dared to venture North to perhaps find a way around Sarmatia but to no avail.

My determination was lost, as I traveled through the sea of suffering that had once been the richest land in the world. I ventured back to the Yavan lands on my own and wrote this report to you.

In service,

Dattatreyak

Emissary to Roma

Spoiler :

To all citizens of Chola Nadu, Chakravartin samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni, issues this edict giving unto all the right to voice their say in the matter, to determine the future of Chola Nadu.

1) To remain within the Southern protectorate as an independent nation.

2) To join the empire of Magadh as an autonomous colony.

[Voting shall be open till next Saturday]

Join the Empire

I hope Magadh can make Chola Nadu prosper like never before. It has been a good time managing that province, but it's time for Lanka to let Chola Nadu go back to Magadh.

Join the Empire

Remain independent

Top Bottom