A Tryst with Destiny

So we're nearly 66,000 views and edging forward. At this rate we'll get to 74000+ at year's end. Now the way I am conceiving future stories, is that we're entering a new epoch in the history of India and soon we'll be developing the story in a somewhat different style. Even the gameplay will alter a bit, becoming a bit more detailed and more engaging. So stay tuned :) :thumbsup:

It was the last day of the last month of the year that the sun had set, yet another year had passed. It had been many years since Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni had returned to Pataliputra from his victorious campaign in the desert lands of the Kushanas. In those days he focussed himself to build and maintain the realm. In the twenty fifth year of his reign, the Gods had been generous to the Samrat, and gifted him an heir. As the years passed, the prince grew older, but with every passing year, the Samrat grew more and more disappointed. It was said that the Dowager Empress Lilawati had said to her brother, "the star of this dynasty is fading", when the Samrat would see the young adolescent Prince indulging in his vices, he could see the solemn warning realized. Though the prince's incompetence hurt the Samrat, it was not his only source of disappointment.

Mahamatya Abhaya had appointed Amatya Krishnasen, one of the best minds of the empire to serve in his stead as the minister of domestic affairs, with his help and the help of other ministers the emperor would administer the realm and build the empire of Magadh. When the Mahamatya left the ministry lost its greatest mind, one by one the other Amatyas retired and the ministry became empty. The time had come when a new cabinet was to be announced, but there was none in the realm who could qualify for the task. The Samrat was frustrated at every step, he was now faced with a great dilemma. The question of the future of the empire had given the emperor many sleepless nights, he would stay awake till late hours studying the scriptures of wise men from the past. Through this study and somber contemplation, Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni decided what must be done.

On the tenth day of winter, the emperor called upon Amatya Krishnasen to the throne room. The Amatya had been retired for over three years, and was more than content in carrying on his profession as a guru in the gurukul of Takshashila. He was weary of taking upon himself the task of administration once again, but there was no brahmin in the empire wiser in matters of administration. When the former minister walked into the throne room, he was greeted to an unexpected sight. The Samrat seated in the Lion Throne, walked down the steps of the throne and walked over to him to greet him personally, as would be expected from a close friend rather than an emperor.

"Krishnasen my friend ! How long has it been!" the Samrat said embracing Krishnasen, "It has been many years my friend. I can see that the years have not been kind to you."
"Hehe! No more than it has been to you. Time after all triumphs over all. Come, we have an important matter to discuss."
"Of course, what could be more important than future of the realm ?"
"And how could you know that I would talk about the realm ?"
"What else would an emperor discuss with a former minister ?"

The emperor smiled at that remark, Krishnasen had not lost his sharpness, though he lost his youthfulness. The emperor was no better, the once warrior like demeanor had given away to whithered skin and a hunched back. It was as if a great burden had forced the emperor to bend. The two walked to the palace garden, to a corner where Samrat Gautamiputra would often sit in contemplation. Under a great banyan tree the two sat to discuss the matter at hand.
"Krishnasen, I have but one last favor to ask you. Bharat needs your service."
"O Samrat, you know that I have renounced the life of a minister. I am content where I am in life. As a guru of the gurukul of Takshashila, I have had the golden opportunity to advance my knowledge and acquire wisdom from the same place that Guru Chanakya himself taught."
"If it could be another way, I would not have called you back to Magadh, yet I feel compelled to this."
"O Samrat! What urgency could compell you to seek my services ?"
The samrat took a sigh before beginning, "As you would well know. the governing rules of the ministry mandate a compulsory retirement every 35 years of service. At the end of which, a new ministry must be formed with new Amatyas. Every new Amatya is recruited from among the learned men of the realm, of these only those can join the ministry who can commit themselves to this task. For the last three years my search has been in vain, for there are none who could be said to be fit to become an Amatya for the empire. So it was that I have deduced the necessity for this task at hand."
"So it is that you have summoned me. So what is this task that you have in mind Samrat?"
the Samrat stood up and walked towards Krishnasen and stood in front of him to answer, "The task of establishing a new order."

Krishnasen raised his eyebrows, "A new order ? Such as what ?"
"A new order, such as that which was established after my ancestor, the first Satakarni emperor had seated himself on the throne. A new order, such as was established when Chanakya guided Chandragupt Maurya to establish the empire of Magadh. Such a new order is what I have in mind."
Krishnasen rose up, shaking his head. He had not anticipated that he would have to bear such a burden, nor that the Samrat would make such a bold move in the twilight of his reign. "Samrat, what great event has made you draw such a conclusion?"
"No great event has transpired. It is to prevent a great calamity that I am making this decision."
"O Samrat! What calamity could there be? The realm is stable and prosperous."
"It is for now, but will it remain so?" the emperor sighed and turned around to face the palace, "It has dawned on me that I may be perhaps the last star of the Satavahan dynasty. My sons spends his days and nights dabbling in drivel which he proclaims to be poetry. He intoxicates himself and pleasures himself around women. No task of administration is understood by him, nor is he conscious of his duty as an heir to the Lion throne. All our ministers have retired and the best among them have died."
"Ah yes.. Amatya Nityanand. It was a tragic loss to have lost such a wonderful mind. "
The samrat turned to face the Amatya, "Amatya Krishnasen, if I do not act now, this state of affairs will decay and then destroy the empire. We are at the cusp of the next great expansion. Chola Nadu and Brahmadesh may be brought into the realm. At this time, the realm needs capable minds more than ever. It is imperative that we change to the needs of the age."
"Then what is it that you propose Samrat ?"
"What I propose is a change in the ministerial system. In our last ministry, only your ministry and the ministry of finance functioned. All else had failed. My weary shoulders can no longer bear the burden of the military. My fool of a son cannot either, his younger brother shows some promise though, but he is yet too young to bear such a burden. Amatya ! We need a new ministry that is smaller, more effiicient with greater powers. Perhaps not even a ministry but a council administering through officers and taking upon themselves duties which the emperor would not."
"Such a council would be smaller, but also more efficient. Much work will need to be done to restructure our offices to suit this new establishment."
"For which I would need your help."

Krishnasen and Gautamiputra Satakarni looked at one another, their expressions mixed with doubt and determination. "Then we must set to work at once. It would seem destiny did not agree with my retirement. Why else would I be here once more ?"
The Samrat held Krishnasen by his shoulders, "Indeed it is my friend. With your help, I am confident of our future."

Much was said of the aging conqueror Gautamiputra Satakarni. The great monarch who destroyed the Kushan barbarians, the warrior king who emerged victorious against the enemies of Magadh, a man of culture and acumen whose skills with words matched his skills with the sword. He was a man larger than life and his legacy cast a shadow over his sons. At a time when the empire was basking in the glory of its victories, the emperor saw fit to announce the end of his time on the Lion Throne. The elder son, Vashishtaputra Satakarni, would by law of succession assume the throne of Magadh as its new samrat. Standing beside him, was the new Mahaamatya Krishnasen.

As law dictated, the emperor would sit in a diarchy with the heir apparent and rule the realm together. No sooner than the prince assumed his future role beside his father, that the realm faced its first challenge.

-----------------------------------------------

Spoiler :

On the first day of the month, the emperor would hold his court at the throne room of the grand palace of Pataliputra. Aside from courtiers and noblemen, there were emissaries from foreign kingdoms through whom the empire of Magadh conducted its dealings with these foreign nations. There was something different about this day, the air felt tense in the hall. The emissary from Qin sat displeased and anxious, a fact not lost on the emperor.

As the reigning emperor, Gautamiputra Satakarni sat in the mouth of the lion, and his son the heir apparent sat to the right of the throne, whilst the mahamatya sat to the left. The emperor began the days' proceedings with an announcement, "Mahamatya, begin the day's proceedings. Let those who have a matter of urgency come forth before all others." The Mahamatya unrolled the scroll in his hand and announced the first name on the scroll, "Samrat! The emissary of Qin seeks an audience for a matter most urgent."

It was unusual to expect a foreign emissary to arise to this call, but among the two dozen noblemen and emissaries, the emissary from Qin arose, "I wish to treat with the emperor for a matter most urgent." There was anger and urgency in his voice. The emperor was unperturbed but prince Vishishta became nervous, the emperor took note of this and he was not pleased. "State your matter emissary Huang."
"In the month of Spring, the year before, a marriage was announced by your highness, between the daughter of the lord of Vanga and the Han emperor's cousin, the lord of Wei. When the day of marriage came, the Lord of Vanga brought forth his guard and announced before the groom's entourage that the marriage will be called off !

Your highness, it was agreed when the bride and groom was engaged that the marriage will be held by Confucian rites and rituals, but when the day of the marriage arrive, the Lord of Vanga sent his guards to the entourage and announced that the marriage be called off stating, he would allow this marriage only if the rituals of the Hindu marriage are observed. The Han emperor himself has been insulted by this act yet your son, the Prince Vashishta, has announced that he would hold a grand ceremony in honor of the Lord of Vanga ! The Han emperor demands answers !"

Prince Vashishta looked hither tither nervously, he could sense his father seeing him looking displeased. The prince stood up trying his best to look firm, but his fears showed through. The truth of the matter was, that the prince had indeed made such an announcement, that led to the failure of the marriage. It was the result of an embarrassing mistake that the prince would try in vain to hide. In his best effort to show authority, he spoke as firmly as he could, "The empire of Magadh would not let its principles be compromised. It is a Hindu empire that must strive to protect the dharma of its citizens."

The reply only served to incense the emissary even more, the emperor could see that the entire matter would go awry if he did not intervene. The emperor then arose, "Let the emperor of Qin know there is no need to worry. For many generations we have known one another only as friends, I shall not be the monarch to ruin our relations for the sake of false pride. I will not allow a lord of the realm to sabotage the relation between our two empires. It is on my assurance, that there will be no celebration for this marriage."

The words of the emperor seemed to have calmed the emissary. The emissary bowed before the samrat, "I shall convey this news to our emperor your highness". Prince Vashishta gulped nervously, he knew his father would be incensed with him. As a first test of his ability, he knew that he had failed. The emperor was indeed disappointed, he realized then wisdom of his decision of appointing the Mahamatya. The night before, it was Mahamatya Krishnasen who had informed the emperor of the fallacy of the crown prince. It was with his knowledge that the emperor could intervene effectively and avert a diplomatic crisis.

--------------------------------------

Spoiler :

On the day when the emperor stepped down, he handed to his sons a message. Prince Vashishta had now become emperor and his brother ruled beside him in diarchy, as was the final wish of their father. Mahamatya Krishnasen was entrusted with delivering to the young monarchs their father's last testament.

At the king's chamber the two sons awaited the arrival of the Prime Minister. Krishnasen held a scroll in his hand that contained the last testament. The brothers looked anxiously at him, waiting for him to read out their father's last testament. "Samrat Vashishta, Kumar Pulumayi, before your father left for his journey to Kailash, he had left unto me this task, that I read to you his last testament." With that, Krishnasen unfolded the scroll and began reading.

"My Sons, as you will read this, I would have renounced any connection to worldly life. For long I have thought of the purpose of my existence, for why I had been born a warrior, for why I shed the blood of so many. I concluded after much thought that I must search deep within for an answer. For this I have decided to adopt sanyas and venture to mount kailash, there I shall spend the remainder of my days on this earth, from here on I shun all my worldly connections and pass on my duties unto you, my sons.

You inherit the empire of Magadh whose writ runs beyond even the boundaries of Bharata. From the deserts and barren hills of Gandhar and Parasika in the North West to the seas of the West and East, the vast fertile Ganga flowing from the vast Himalayas in the North to the Eastern sea on the coast of Vanga, this vast empire is now your inheritance, your responsibility. With great tact and skill, I and Mahamatya Krishnasen have presided over the reunion of the Chola kingdom with our illustrious empire. Now the boundaries of this empire touches the vast Southern ocean. I have to the best of my ability administered the province of Chola Nadu, now that duty must fall upon your shoulders.

Through war and struggle this empire has been forged and built to this time, when we look upon an age of peace. I warn you my sons, that this cannot be a time of complacency, for peace is never eternal nor unfailing. You must be vigilant to ensure the peace remains. The Army of Magadh and the garrisons of our cities are at your disposal. Mahamatya Krishnasen will assist you and guide you on every turn, he will aid you as he has aided me.

In the near future challenges will emerge that will test your skills as rulers. To the East, in the land of Brahmadesh you face the question of the Pyu kingdom. Your task here shall be to bring them in, as I have done with Chola Nadu. I have faith in you my sons, and I believe in the destiny of this land. Generations come and go, and each passing generation leaves behind a legacy to build on, make sure that when your sons and grandsons look to your deeds, they find pride in your works."

----------------------------------

Spoiler :

The life of the explorer is filled with adventure and wonder, but it is not an easy life to live. For the crew of the Chola exploration fleet, the days are filled with hardships of long journeys at sea. Then there are the perils, be it the treacheries of the ocean currents and winds or the intrigues of exotic tribes and nations. The sailors of the exploratory fleet have braved the troubles of distant shores and come out alive.

Since over a millennium, the rulers of Bharata have sent explorers to chart out distant lands, open new trade routes and meet new nations. With each endeavor the strength of the nation has only grown. For the past three centuries, several exploratory missions have been sent by the reigning Satavahan emperors. The latest of these expeditions being the great journey to the East. As with every journey, there will always be a day when it comes to an end. The day when the weary traveler feels relief as he comes to his destination. For the tired men of the Cholan expeditionary fleet, that day would come soon, for they had seen the coast of Brahmadesh to the East and it would not be long before they would return to the ports of Bharata.

It was the seventh day of sailing North along the coastline, the crew was getting restless to reach the port of Vanga. "At this rate we'll reach Vanga next year !" complained the crewman Vira,
"Its not so easy sailing against the currents. You should know that Vira !" Vana retorted,
"I know it full well. I don't need lessons from a green boy like you !"
"Ha ! Says the old goat complaining about the winds !"
"You take that back !" the incensed Vira replied, pacing angrily towards Vana.

Just as the two were about to start brawling, captain Punindra intervened, "You two cut it out !" he shouted. The captain had a fierce personality, and it was never a wise act to anger him. It came in use to keep his crewmen in line. He walked up to the two and looked into their eyes with raging anger, "My patience runs thin with you. Both of you. We are sailing against the currents to reach the port of Vanga, the coast of Brahmadesh lies to our East. At this time when our journey has nearly ended, you two decide to pick a fight! I won't stand for it !"

The two sailors bowed their heads and walked away from each other. "The two of you won't talk with each other for the remainder of the journey. Keep away from one another. If I hear another argument, I will have you two thrown over ! Is that clear !"
"Yes ... captain." Vana and Vira replied together.

Just as the captain had diffused the tension on the deck, the crewman Mridul shouted, "Captain! Boats come from the North !"
"What banner do they fly ?"
"The banner of Brahmadesh."
"They must be from the Pyu city states." Vana remarked,
"They are most certainly from the Pyu nation. Let's see what they want."

There were seven boats with five men on each of them. These were small boats with teams of rowers, primitive compared to the large seafaring galleys of the exploratory fleet. The leader of this fleet of boats held a yellow and white banner that bore the symbol of the Pyu state. Over the last ten years, the new city state emerged along the Mekong river. In the language of the Brahmadeshis this was the Ganga that flowed North to South through their nation.

The boatmen came up to the galley and disembarked, the leader went to treat with the captain. "We wish to talk with the captain of this fleet."
"I am the captain of this ship." Captain Punindra roared, "We are on our way to Vanga. Why do you stop us ?"
"I am Vijayasen, the leader of this patrol. These waters belong to the Pyu kingdom."
"By what right ?"
"By the declaration of the Pyu raja. You must turn away immediately."
"The seas to the West are not navigable. You would have me doom my men?"
"I don't know nor care for your men. We cannot allow you through these waters. If you proceed we will stop you."

There was tension in the air as the sailors poised to draw their weapons. The men boatmen prepared to draw their weapons in response. The Captain stood stoic and firm with his hands folded and stared at the leader. There was more than a hint of fear on his face. He could see the sailors had outnumbered his men, and he knew full well that the galley could destroy their little boats. "You can let this end in bloodshed or you can act wisely and let us pass." the Captain warned.

Vijayasen looked around and stepped back. Without saying anything else, the leader went back. He signaled his men in the party to leave and let the ship pass. The firmness of the captain made sure the day was passed without bloodshed, but incident was not viewed well. The Captain's message was passed through to the Emperor. The emperor declared before all the noblemen of the court of Pataliputra, "Ready the Army of Magadh. We shall bring an end to this insubordination."

--------------------------------------

Spoiler :

Four generations of sailors grew up calling the Western seas the "forbidden sea". It was a reputation that was borne of the dread of pirates. They sailed across the coasts of the Western sea from Avanti to Parasika and beyond, ravaging and plundering what they find. The pirates enrich themselves while the hapless people of the coasts suffer in poverty.

Seeing the plight of the villagers of the coast Emperor Gautamiputra Satakarni decreed that the pirate menace be ended. Immediately, the resources of Avantinagar were mobilized for building a war fleet to combat the pirates. Shipwrights worked day and night to build these ships, but to no avail. The pirates sailed in sturdy ships with rams and iron hulls. The shipwrights of Avantinagar did not have the knowledge to build ships that could match the strength of their foes. They were of a gentler stock, building ships for trade and fishing. At the end, it dawned on the Lankans and their Cholan allies who had the knowledge of warring at sea.

Seeing no option in sight, Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni called upon our Southern brethren to aid in this fight. The Raja of Lanka answered the call by sending the Lankan fleet to our aid. The sturdy war ships were manned by warriors skilled in fighting with sword and pike. Two hundred warships sailed North along the coasts of the Western sea patrolling these waters. The fleet patrolled the waters of the Western coast and as long as they held the coast no pirate could muster the courage to raid on our waters. Then came the day of the decisive battle for the Western sea.

The pirate lords of Sindhudesh united their fleets and faced the Lankan fleet in battle. Those who survived the battle still remember the carnage that ensued on the high seas. Mahinda was only twenty years old when the battle happened. He had never seen fighting in his life, till he saw the carnage on the sea. As the winds turned West, a dreaded sight arose on the western horizon. Mahinda could see the black flags and black sails of pirate ships. His eyes widened, his heart started racing, he felt excitement and fear at once. Excited at the thought of experiencing the glory of battle for the first time in his young life, but fear at facing the much dreaded enemy.

"Pirates in the West !" he exclaimed pointing to the ships on the horizon.
"Ready arms ! We prepare for battle!" the captain called out.
The men of the ship mobilized, the sailors turned their sail to ram into the enemy ships. The conch was blown signalling for other ships to mobilize for battle. One by one the fleet gathered their strength and sailed to meet the enemy in battle. Mahinda readied his sword and shield, "Are you ready ? Its time to draw some pirate blood!" he spoke enthusiastically to his friend, but Abhaya did not reply, leaving only a chuckle. His grandfather had spoken to him of war, from the days when he fought in the succession crisis in Magadh. He had never had a fondness for battle, quite unlike his friend.

The pirate fleet had over seventy ships, each as strong as two warships of the Lanka fleet. They were manned with teams of a hundred each, and everyone of them were marksmen. As the Lankan ships sailed closer, they could see the pirate ships maneuver. The archers on board were ordered to raise their weapons and fire at the enemy, just as the enemy prepared to fire upon them. A volley of arrows were exchanged, with the pirates firing twice as many as the Lankans. Hundreds could be heard screaming in agony and many others died. The captain was unperturbed, the oarsmen continued rowing, and the ships kept closing in on the enemy. More volleys were exchanged, but it became clear that the enemy held the advantage here. Mahinda could only hold his shield and hope he would not die from arrow fire. This was his induction to warfare, cowering against enemy arrows.

Eventually the Lankans closed in on the pirates. The warships rammed on the enemy and the sailors boarded on the enemy decks. Mahinda drew his sword and screamed as he descended upon the pirates with all the ferocity he could muster. Pirates attacked him left and right, but his training and ability with the sword had saved him. The sounds of wood and metal breaking and bashing filled the air with the sound of waves and the screams of dying men. Mahinda blinded himself to all else, but the enemy before him. Many pirates were killed by his sword, before the unexpected happened.

A loud violent groan of breaking wood followed a thunderous dashing sound as another pirate vessel crashed into Mahinda's ship. The shock of the attack threw him off balance and forced him to fall on the deck, then he could see a knife descend on him. At that moment Mahinda thought it was his end, he did not feel any glory, he felt only the grim truth of battle with blood splattered on him and fear engulfing his thoughts. The knife was deflected, Mahinda was saved. Abhaya saved him, only to be killed by a spear that mangled him through his back. "Abhaya!" he screamed in disbelief seeing his friend shriek and then fall to the ground.

That was Mahinda's tipping point when he showed his most ferocious form yet. The pirates, who could be so deadly with bow and arrow failed when it came to fighting one on one. Mahinda could not see the ground beneath him was breaking apart, the ship was about to sink and take him with it. That was his last thought as he lay clutching to a broken board floating on the sea, he could not remember what he had done that let him survive when all his friends had died. When he came too he did not see any pirate vessels for as far as the eye could see, only a sea filled with broken hulls and floating masts and the corpses of warriors and pirates alike. Then in the distance he saw the Lankan fleet floating and victorious.

Spoiler :

---------------------------------------

Spoiler :

The scene in Avantinagar was one of celebrations and joy. It was as if New Year was being celebrated once again. For the people of this troubled province, it was indeed a new beginning. The bountiful waters on the Western coast was finally open for Avantinagar's fishermen, the end of the pirates had ushered in a new period of growth and prosperity for the province.

The sacrifice of the brave Lankan sailors had secured the Western sea for people of this vast realm. It was a humbling truth, for the people of Avantinagar would know that they owe their prosperity to the sacrifice of a foreign people.

For seven days and seven nights, the people of Avanti celebrated their new found peace, but some voices raise caution. The elders warn, that the pirates from Sindhudesh would not sit idly, that more would come sooner or later, and they would seek to ravage the waters of the Western sea once more. For that day, we must prepare now !

------------------------------------------

For fifteen years the position of Mahamatya was held by Krishnasen. For these fifteen years, he administered the vast realm that was the Empire of Magadh, standing beside the two brother monarchs on the Lion throne, but just as day passes into night and seasons pass, every man must face that time when he would step down from his throne.

The two crowned Emperors of Magadh waited at their room, anxious and fearful of the future. Vashishtputra paced the room biting his thumbnail while his brother sat beside the bed with arms folded bearing a pensive look on his face. Pulumayi looked to his brother pacing to and fro and said, "The Amatya should not leave at this time."
Vashishtaputra turned to him and replied, "Mahamatya Krishnasen has made his choice. We must respect it."
"The realm needs him brother." Pulumayi said as he stood up, "We need him. You know this to be true. If it were not, you would not be pacing around this room with fear as you do now."
"It is true. I do fear for the future, both you and I have ruled under his shadow. His guidance has been there with us since our father left, but how much longer can we have him with us ? The Mahamatya is over eighty years old. Do not forget, that he only returned to our service on our father's pleading. We have no call to keep him with us."
"If it is so. Then he must appoint a successor."
"And so he shall!" the voice sounded from behind the curtains. It was Krishnasen who had entered with a scroll in his hand.

Pulumayi rose first and asked, "Mahamatya! Is it true what we hear ? Do you wish to retire?"
"That is true", Krishnasen replied, "I feel my time has come. I have served this realm since the time of your father's reign, but age has worn me down. The realm is in peace now, the pirates of the West have been thwarted, the North and South are united once more, and the boundaries beyond Gandhar are secure. Soon the Army of Magadh shall have thwarted the city states of Brahmadesh. We truly live in a time of peace. Samrat Vashishtaputra, Kumar Pulumayi, your reign is secure now. I feel my final duty has ended."
Samrat Vashishta spoke anxiously, "We need your guidance Mahamatya. I do not feel we are ready."
"Samrat, believe me when I say this. You are ready."
"But someone must take your place Mahamatya. Who have you appointed."

The Mahamatya smiled and handed the scroll in his hand to the anxious king, who unrolled it to find the name of the Mahamatya's candidate. "Jayantu ? Your son ?"
"Yes samrat. The only one to whom I have bequeathed by knowledge of arthashastra. I feel he will be capable in dispensing his duties."
The samrat was apprehensive, "But he is merely 21 years old."
"And how old was Chandragupt Maurya when destiny had chosen him as the Samrat of Bharata ?"
The question found no answer. Both rulers conceded on the wisdom of the Mahamatya's candidate and accepted the resignation.

The realm was indeed entering a time of peace and prosperity, but troubled lurked around the corner such that would test the ability of the new Mahamatya.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler :

"This is an outrage ! We will not stand for it !" the man shouted, "Those Northerners want to take our freedom away from us again ! Shame on you who consented to this !" it was a lone voice among a gathering of a hundred at the central square. The herald had just announced the result of the Chola Nadu plebiscite, where five out of six Dravidans had chosen to join in the Empire of Magadh. It was clear not every citizen of this kingdom would make this choice, it was not unusual for a dissenting voice to stand out from the crowd.

Ravanan was five decades old and sickly. He lived an impoverished life in the Cholan countryside, etching out a living from farming. This was not always true for his family, once they had been respectable warriors in the Cholan army. His ancestor fought against the Mauryan empire in the Great Southern War led by Sri Satakarni. His ancestor bore witness to the scouring of the crowned kingdoms of the South by the invading hordes of the North. Successive generations had grown with bitterness towards the North. So when he had heard that the plebiscite had been decided, and the people of Chola Nadu had willingly forsook their independence, he found it hard to accept.

Ravanan rushed through the crowd to the raised platform where the herald stood with the scroll in hand. He turned to the crowd, the people talked among themselves, they bore a content look on their face, "Who do these Northerners think they are, bargaining our freedom like a thing for sale ! Shame on you those who have voted for this ! Are you such fools as to believe their words ? Have you forgotten they had burned these lands !"
"Oh come down you old fool !" a young man called out from among the crowd,
"It happened hundreds of years ago ! Just get over it !"
Soon others in the crowd started yelling abuses at Ravanan, but a handful of people shoved themselves ahead. These half dozen men were supporters of Ravanan, they too had opposed joining the Empire of Magadh.
"What's wrong in what he's saying! He is right, this is just a Northern trick to decieve us again ! They want our gold and our ships!", Shivanand spoke out from among the dozen, but his words could not convince most of the men in teh crowd
"While the rest of Bharata develops we stay poor ! At least now there's a chance that the Empire will develop the South !"
"Oh why're we listening to these fools , let's throw them out of here !"
"Beat them! Beat them !"

Before long the argument turned violent, and the crowd forced out Ravanan and his supporters. Eventually they had to flee Kanchipuram beaten and bruised. At the gates, they sat huddled together. "Something must be done. We must organized ourselves", said Ravindran, "We must oppose this merger."
"They say, that many who were opposed to the union have already organized themselves." Ravanan replied,
"That's just hearsay ! If they were organized so well, then the Empire wouldn't be able to make this union at all!"
"And as luck would have it ! It is not hearsay after all."
"Who said that ?"

Under the great banyan tree at the gate of Kanchipuram, a shadowy figure emerged and walked towards the dozen men. He was young, and dressed modestly. A string across his body belied his brahmin caste. A red turban and dhoti completed his appearance. "Who among you is willing to kill and die for Chola Nadu ?"
One by one , the men in the group stood up. "And who are you to ask this ?"
"You may call me Meghdoot. I come from the Western village twenty leagues West from here. Now answer my question. Who among you, is willing to lay their lives for Chola Nadu's freedom. For those who are willing, I will bring you to the army of liberation."

Ravanan, Shivanand and the others looked at each other, they found it hard to believe the words of this stranger, but everyone knew in their hearts that they would be willing to kill for the freedom of their motherland. "I will go!" Ravanan stood up first, "But how do we know we can trust you."
Meghdoot looked at the men before him, "You are twelve, and I am alone. If anything, I should be afraid of you."

Reluctantly, they all agreed to follow this mysterious man. After walking through hills and along dirt roads, they finally came to the Eastern village. This village was infamous for being an abode of ghosts. Forty years ago, a mysterious illness had taken the lives of all those who lived in the village, it was said the water had been poisoned. No one knows why the village became deserted, all that is known, is that it lays here deserted now. Those who decided to remain in the village of their forefathers, reluctant to leave, died here and remained as ghosts. Whether or not there really were ghosts, whether or not this story was true, it was enough to keep away travelers. It was the perfect place to hide from prying eyes.

The group kept walking deep into the village, the huts and brick temples had been consumed by growing vines and invasive trees. Roots and branches tore through walls which once housed families. The only sound one could hear, was the eerie sound of forest creatures, but in the distance another sound could be heard sounding faint through the wind. "What is this misbegotten place you've brought us to?" one of the men asked, it was clear he no longer felt as eager to follow the stranger.
"Patience my friend. We are nearly there."

As the party kept walking through the remnants of the dirt road, the sounds of shouting men and clanging steel became clearer and clearer. They walked into a gate created by two arching trees intertwining with one another and then turned to a cave. "This better not be a trick Meghdoot !" Shivanand warned,
"I assure you, this is no trick." he said unsheathing his dagger and handing over to Shivanand, "But if you feel cheated, feel free to thrust this into my heart."
"That will not be needed" Ravanan replied, "Look there."

In the cave they could see the flickering lights of torches, the sound of men became louder. The curious men walked on and found no less than two hundred men training with arms being commanded by a leader. In the dim light of the torches, they could not recognize him, but as they came closer his face became clearer. "Keechaksen !" a startled Ravindran exclaimed. It was the disgraced nyayadheesh of Kanchipuram. It was not known what had come of him, but now it was known, at least to Ravindran and the men in the party.

The army that was training before them, was indeed an army of liberation. For a year now, Keechaksen and his cohorts were preparing for the day when Chola Nadu would be reunited with the Empire of Magadh. In his time as nyayadheesh, he conspired to usurp the administration of Kanchipuram, but he failed. The then Lankan Raja banished him thereafter, and nothing but rumors were heard of him after that.

"Senapati Keechaksen", Meghdoot bowed before him, "These men want to join our illustrious army."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler :

For twenty five years, the empire of Magadh remained at peace. The once youthful rulers had now aged, their restless minds had become sober. Mahamatya Krishnasen's successor had guided the emperors during this time, indeed it could even be said that he ruled for them. Samrat Gautamiputra had left two weak successors to the throne of Magadh, but he also left to them every tool to rule the empire effectively. All of Magadh's enemies had been thwarted, its administration strengthened and governance secured. There were only pirates and brigands left to challenge the empire.

The strongest of these foes were the pirate lords of Sindh, but their reign of terror was brought to an end by the brave sacrifice of the sailors of the Lankan fleet. With their end, it seemed like there would never be a threat to the realm, the emperor and his brother became indolent. The younger, married to a princess of Ujjain, thought of nothing but his new wife and child, while The elder became indolent. It was in this time, that shadowy forces worked unnoticed.

While the North was safe and secure, trouble brewed in the far South of the realm. Reports emerged of ravenous bands of warriors raiding the gold mines in the hills West of Chola Nadu. For long, the Mahamatya had warned about reports of secret armies training in the outlying hills near Kanchipuram, the emperor's reply then was as it is today, "Outlandish rumors! Nothing more. The realm is at peace and shall ever be in peace.", the Mahamatya could only shake his head.

Today, those very rumors have come true, and the gold mines of Kanchipuram are being raided and captured one by one. Like a plague, the army grew into a menace, but the army of Chola Nadu was ever ready to face this latest challenge. It fell upon the Mahamatya to deal with the menace.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler :

The fires seemed to burn more vividly at night. The militia army of Keechaksen had undertaken a strategy of unrestrained loot and destruction of the gold mining province of Kolar. He had ambitions which went far beyond simply protesting against accession, he intended to create a realm in his own image. The wealth needed for this ambitious project could only come from the gold of the South. From there, he would build a new Dravidian empire, the likes of which would challenge the Empire of Magadh.

Ravindran stood with his spear in hand, solemnly looking upon the flames billowing out of the cavern. In his mind, he could still hear the deathly shrieks of the miners trapped inside. "What is all this for?" he would ask himself, "Is this the cause for which we fought ? Is this liberation ?"
When he had joined this army, it was nothing more than a rabble of a handful of poorly armed and trained militia recruited from the villages of Chola Nadu. Now it had grown to a force of a thousand warriors, but there was something in that rabble of poorly trained troops that was missing in this army. This army, had no cause, no love for the nation, no hope for the future, its only purpose seemed to hoard gold and massacre innocents.

Ravindran was the last of the group of men who had joined from Kanchipuram. Over the fifteen years that he had been part of this insurgency, he witnessed first hand the souring of the vision of an independent Chola Nadu. 'I envy Ravanan' he thought to himself, 'he died before he could see this.' The man who had led them, was the first to perish. His frail body has failed his fiery mind before he reached his 60th birthday. By then the militia had already grown, Ravanan died with hope in his eyes, that his countrymen would one day be free, the old glory of the Chola kingdom would revive. 'Oh Ravanan you naive fool.'

The night was hot and humid, like most nights in the southern kingdoms. The men of the militia made merry with their loot, gorging themselves on women and mead. These men were mercenaries, recruited from among bandits and brigands, some among them were wayward pirates from the North West, they were the most ruthless of them all. Ravindran preferred to keep aloof from their company, tonight he was given the task of keeping watch on the hills to the North East. Scouts had reported that the spearmen from Chola Nadu had been mobilized on orders of the emperor of Magadh. Three thousand well trained armored troops were marching towards their camp, the thought of it had made Keechaksen paranoid, and the mercenaries more desperate. It was as though an imminent death loomed upon them, as inescapable and dark as the night itself. All in the army knew an ignominious end to this rebellion was awaiting them, none knew who would live and who would die, this night was perhaps their last moment to enjoy the pleasures of life, but for Ravindran, the defeat would serve a dual purpose. He would accept it as a just punishment for his part in the unjustified slaughter of innocents, and a liberation from servitude to this army of looters.

"It would be for the best", he said to himself as he sat at his watch, "Let this wretched life come to its wretched end". A few moments had passed, when the ominous sound rang through the darkness of the night. Mixed with the sound of crickets and bats, there was the sound of rustling trees, the fell wind and the thump of war drums. 'They have arrived', Ravindran took a deep breath as he braced himself, 'May the gods judge me fairly'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler :

The commander of the elephant division was abound with confidence when he declared before the emperor, "Do the people of Pugam even know how to draw swords ? Ha ! There won't even be a battle, it will be glorious slaughter ! I do not think that those primitives would be able to stand without wetting themselves at the sight of our might elephant hordes !"

The emperor and the court applauded the words of the commander. Soon enough, they would be tested as the horde of 200 war elephants made their way through the muddy hills East of Vanga, into the wild lands of Brahmadesh. Before them, lay the city state of Pugam. The King of Pugam was known to be a tempermental young man, at the age of 16 he had inherited more than he could be entrusted with. His grandfather had built for his people, the city state of Pugam, but he had not lived long to see the fruits of his work. Not one year had passed, that the visionary leader had met his death, the throne passed to his indecisive son who could not see the wisdom in treading lightly with the Empire of Magadh. His son, frustrated with the indecisiveness of his father, declared independence from the Empire of Magadh, and sought to build his own kingdom 'to rival that of Magadh itself!'.

Little did he know of the terrors he would unleash upon himself. Mahamatya Jatayu felt that there was wisdom in the path shown by his predecessors, that the course should be such as had been decided by Samrat Gautamiputra Satakarni. He had sought to keep to that plan and worked to restrain Samrat Pulumayi from taking any action which would be excessive. It was his decision to send only the elephant division to deal with the upstart kingdom in the East.

With the might of the elephant division poised at the borders of Brahmadesh, it would not be long before the petty nation would surrender or be destroyed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never a dull moment in Tryst!
Also happy birthday!

I hope this doesn't die Adhiraj, and I also hope I can come back not long from now. A tryst is the Flagship of S&T's renaissance remember? :D

Keep up your awesome work!

Its not dead I can assure you that, its simply dormant. I have half finished the next side story update featuring Mrityunjay :) . One of the reasons for that is that I've found a new addiction :p . Europa Universalis !

Same here. 1650 into my Ottoman game, and I've taken Egypt, began swallowing Tunis, have Mecca and Medina, and my territory in the Balkans is huge - it stretches all the way to the Southern half of Hungary. And I'm allied with France, so there's no European power that'll be able to mess with me.

Same here. 1650 into my Ottoman game, and I've taken Egypt, began swallowing Tunis, have Mecca and Medina, and my territory in the Balkans is huge - it stretches all the way to the Southern half of Hungary. And I'm allied with France, so there's no European power that'll be able to mess with me.

Wow.. I've been doing the exact same thing ! .. increasingly I've been feeling inspired to do an AAR with EU4 . The revolt mechanism is wonderful story material :D

William Sayer had been an immortal for over four centuries now, yet it was still difficult for him to fathom the contradiction. Time seemed to have lost all relevance before him, all that he had taken for granted seemed to whither to dust before him, yet here he continued to live unchanging. Cities rose and fell, rivers which seemed to flow eternal dried up, hills rose where there were once plains, and plains turned to desert, yet William remained young, even as the world became old.

William knew of only two other immortals in the world, the one who till some decades past was the chief guard of the Samrat and the other, who roamed the cities and villages of the Roman Empire. Nicholas had found his way beyond the boundaries of Bharata as far as William knew, where he was was anybody's guess. Some say he has formed a company of mercenaries serving under the governor of Syria, others talk of a skilled marksman in the land of Chin who matches Nicholas' description. William knew wherever he was, he would make something of himself, 'perhaps some day.. we will meet' he reminisced.

His mind then drifted to Rome, and his long lost friend. He walked to his closet where he had kept the last memory from that forsaken travail. The skull was a reminder of the lowest moment in his life, when William lost his courage. Centuries had passed since the events of that day yet, the immortal was cursed never to forget, “Does she remember too?”, he said to himself, wondering if the immortal still remembered it all. Of course, he knew she did, she remembered every detail of that sordid event, just as he did, for immortals are cursed to remember. “Immortality.. ha ! A fate worse than death”, he lamented. Perhaps he spoke too soon, for fate had a more sinister design for him.

Just as he was about to close the closet, a messenger came knocking on his door, “Arya Mrityunjay? The Samrat has summoned you. The emissaries are about to arrive.”
William turned around and broke from his reminiscing, his mind suddenly came back to the present, “I am on my way.”
William Sayer donned the identity of Mrityunjay, the immortal scribe of Magadh, it was less of a challenge for him to shift between these two identities, four centuries of being a scribe has trained him for it.

The Empire of Magadh had been at peace for many years now. At every fronts, the empire had triumphed over its enemies, the Kushan had been brutally vanquished with their capital reduced to a smouldering ruin, the pirates of the Sindh had been shown to their watery grave at the bottom of the Western sea, and today the petty upstarts of the Pyu nation had been forced to surrender to the Empire's forces. The Empire stands at the pinnacle of success and merchants and nobility from far away lands grace the Court of Pataliputra. Today, it was the merchant known in Rome only as the Queen of spices, who would grace the court of Pataliputra with her presence.

Mrityunjay had grown used to the routine, a foreign dignitary from the West would arrive, not knowing a word of sanskrit or pali or brahmi, Mrityunjay who was well versed with all three Indic languages and Latin would act as the translator. However, today's visitor would surprise everyone at court when she greeted the emperor with a 'namaskaram'. This dignitary had no trouble conversing fluently in sanskrit. Mrityunjay stood stunned, 'but .. she's a Roman..' he thought.

The Samrat though taken aback replied with a joyful laugh, “It would seem Arya Mrityunjay, that we would not be needing your services today. Our honoured guest is fluent with the Arya bhasha itself.”
Mrityunjay bowed, “As the Samrat so wishes”, his smirk hid his excitement towards this mysterious woman. This was a dignitary like no other, not merely for the fact that she could speak Indian languages with fluency, but also for the way she was dressed. It was not entirely unusual for Roman women to don a veil, however, she wore it in a style that he had never seen before, neither in this time nor from his study of history. The long silk scarf was wrapped snugly around the face and knotted into a tall turban. Her robes however, were distinctly Roman, but there was something still unusual about her. The tan of her skin was a shade too dark for a Roman, 'Who is this woman..' Mrityunjay asked himself, still wondering.

The woman addressed the Samrat again, “Samrat, it has come to my knowledge that the might of Magadh has prevailed over the pirates of the Western seas. Now the port of Avantinagar lies open for trade. I possess the largest trading fleet of the Roman Empire, if your grace would grant me this humble opportunity, I wish to engage in trade of spices with the merchants of your Emperor, for this I desire that I be granted an exclusive charter for trade of black pepper through the Western Seas. ”

The Samrat rubbed his chin thinking over the offer, he turned to the Mahamatya for advise, “What is your advice mahamatya ?”
“O Samrat, my advice would be to take the offer. Whilst many merchants come from Rome, they come through the land route, very few come over the seas. As things stand only a few merchants capable of conducting trade over the seas come to Avantinagar, but if we open the ports for the largest merchant in the West that would benefit both sides. However, if such a monopoly be granted, I would advice that it be only for a period of 20 years. After which trade should be open for all merchants from Rome.”
The Samrat nodded in agreement, “So be it. I shall accede to the merchant's request, but for only a period of 20 years from the date of this grant.” the samrat looked at the merchant, “Do you agree to this ?”

The merchant stood paused for a moment and then bowed in agreement, “Your grace is most generous, what can a humble merchant do but agree.”
“Then so be it ! Mahamatya, issue the edict. Let it be known throughout the Western provinces in the realm.”
“There is but one more request that I have your majesty.”
“Name it.”
“I wish to treat with your scribe, the Honourable Mrityunjay.”
“You have my leave. Arya Mrityunjay would be honoured by your visit.”
“Indeed I would be your majesty” Mrityunjay bowed.
“Indeed the honour is mine Arya Mrityunjay. Your reputation precedes you, even in Rome there is talk of the honourable immortal of Magadh.”

Mrityunjay looked forward to this meeting, but little did Mrityunjay realize what was waiting for him. There was something strangely familiar about this woman, her voice kindled memories of a long lost friend. For a moment, Mrityunjay was reminded of Arianne. It was not a happy memory, Mrityunjay tried hard to forget the memory of her and atone for his wrongs, but two centuries had passed and the memory of that fateful night would never leave him.

Each time he would remember it, a shiver went down his spine, he would question his being and feel a rush of guilt overwhelming him. He turned to the woman with a jerk, 'is it her!?' he thought for a moment, aghast at the possibility that the woman whom he had failed would come back in his life. He knew in his heart that Arianne lived, it would only a matter of time before the two immortals would come face to face.
“Is there a problem Arya Mrityunjay ? It would seem something is making you uncomfortable.”
“Er...no your excellency of course not. Please follow me this way to my manse..”
“You may address me as Arianne, Arya Mrityunjay.”
That startled him, that name was all too familiar to him, he turned and looked at her,
“As you wish... Arianne.”

The two walked into the manse of Mrityunjay, a stately two storied building constructed with the finest of timber from the forests of the Terai. The path leading up to the door was flanked by two Ashok trees and a small pond. The trees were in full bloom this season, it was believed to be a sign that a long held wish would be fulfilled.

“Welcome to my humble abode”, here Mrityunjay could become William Sayer again, it was a liberating feeling for him, to let off the mask that he had to wear in public, but not so in the presence of a dignitary.
Arianne took a keen look at the interiors as they walked into the study, scrolls were stacked along the walls in neat cupboards six feet high, and cushions were placed along a table where the immortal scribe of Magadh would make his works. “Not too humble I see. You seem to have done well for yourself.”, the lady remarked.
That made William chuckle, “Well.. I am the immortal scribe of the second largest empire in the world after all.” he gestured to the cushions, “Please do sit. I will have my servants servants bring you some refreshments.”
“That will not be necessary... Arya Mrityunjay. There is a matter of utmost importance that I must share with you.. alone.” she turned to her attendant, “Megara, please leave us in private.”

The attendant bowed and quietly walked outside. William grew nervous, his heart started pacing fast. He and Arianne sat facing each other on either side of his table. His breaths grew long and deliberate, the sign of a truly anxious man. Then, the woman surprised him, she started unwrapping her veil, when it revealed the face of the 'Queen of Spices' William could only stare stunned with his jaw hanging, “Arianne !..” he exclaimed in shock.
“Yes .. William. Arianne, the wife of your friend, Sebastian.”, there was anger in her voice, a quiet subtle anger that had been burning for 2 centuries.

Top Bottom