Alternative history challenge (with stories)

adhiraj.bose

Deity
The idea came up with a game I tried as the vikings in vanilla RFC, use the Scandinavians to conquer the the Southernmost and Northernmost territories of the world. From this I thought of making this story. I'll not be able to add pics right now, but will add in later parts. I plan on making one such alternative history challenge with a story for each of the civs in DOC. hope folks enjoy reading this :) . I bring to you ...

The Vikings :

Alternative history : Control all arctic and Tundra tiles and resources.

An empire of Ice .

(Part I) Humble beginnings :

Across the South lay rich lands of Europe, Towards the North lay the resources of the Tundra and full of wood, gems, iron and fur, Towards the East lay the Baltic sea and Towards the west lay an endless sea.. an impassable sea of worms. It was in the warmer South, overlooking Danish peninsula that the Viking people would settle. From here they would claim the seas, and conquer the world !

The age of the Viking would begin overshadowed by the Germanic tribes of Europe, who had laid claim to the cities of the romans.. or whatever was left of it . Europe seemed empty now, ripe for the taking. Our people started off as nothing but humble fisherfolk and farm folk. From our first land at Oslo we would spread North and East, searching for fertile shores to sustain and grow our populace. Our great lord, Ragner Lodbrok, blessed of the gods, would guide us through these humble beginnings. The winters of these lands are harsh, snow and ice covers the lands on which we walk. The Souths may offer respite, but these lands are but a few. Vikings live to grow, and we would not settle for misery.

One night, the great king Ragnar Lodbrok, saw in his vision, God Odin, the allfather and lord of Asgard, and to his side Thor Odinson. The gods came that night in his dream, besetting for him a quest for his people. They stood on ice as hard as rock, where Odin commanded Thor to strike his mighty hammer, Mjolnir. The ice which was as hard as rock shattered no better than brittle glass. From under it, sprouted gems, furs, fish and meat. The gods feasted and flung gems and food at Lord Ragnar, as the ice seemed to bleed, as if being with life. "The destiny of your people will be written by ice and blood. You Ragnar, must lead your people to the conquest of lands far and wide, covered with snow. There are rich lands to East and West across the endless sea, awaiting the Vikings for conquest and glory. Now GO !" With this a flash of light struck Ragnar from his slumber.

It was the 24th year of our settlement of Oslo. Tribes headed North and East had founded more fishing villages. To the North was Narvik overlooking the North seas and to the East was Hellsingford overlooking the Baltic sea. The chieftains from these two villages returned to Oslo to meet for the Viking council with Lord Ragnar. The chief of Narvik was unhappy with Ragnar, the chief of Helsingsford gave him full support.

"There is no fishing here, the winters are harsh, there is no land to farm, the seas are distant and the only fishing is beyond our reach ! For what reason have you sent our people to this harsh punishing land Ragnar ? What could lie in this harsh winter ?!" Ragnar thundered in anger "It is not I but the Gods who command ! In the conquest of all the great wintery North will the Viking find their glory ! We harvest the power of the ice and forge an empire with iron ! To your North lies great mines of Iron, And to your west Helsingsford lies Copper! We mine these and fashion blades." "For what my lord?" "For Conquest !" Thus with a final roar did Lord Ragnar Lodbrok signaled the ultimate destiny of the Vikings.

Use the PrtScn button ("Print Screen") of your keybord to take pictures.

Go to civ 4 Stories and Tales and post that stuff! It would be great! I am an S and T regular, as well as a few other people on the DoC forum. I am right now running two DoC stories on S and T, so you should check that out!

Posted on a thread a few weeks ago:

Objective: Help the Central Powers/Axis/Prussia in a World War

As America, I pissed off England by making all her allies trade embargo against her. The reason? I needed to weaken them in order to build Graceland and Wembley before them. It was quite the race! There was no way I could produce the wonders as fast as them, as I was straining just to research the technology to begin! I tried sending a spy to sabotage their production of them in India (I had known the position from my huge investment in espionage), but France had recently taken Vietnam and refused to open borders with me. Eventually I mustered enough enough money to make the huge payment to rush the wonders with thousands of gold a turn before they finished. England was on my heels though, I needed to go more steps ahead of them to avoid this type of strain on my economy and resources. They were blocking me in my most advantageous passages.

When the World War broke out, I stayed neutral but gave Austria, Turkey and Germany my techs so they could weaken Russia, France, England, and Persia. I figured helping the fire grow would cause a huge disruption to the leading nations so I could pull ahead. I picked the Central nations since I wanted the more scientific and wonder orientated nations destroyed, and instability from the inside-out is more effective. (I also had that grudge against England, and France wouldn't open borders with me). Later I did the same with Japan so they could weaken Russia, England, France, and China. I sent oil to Germany, and quickly got the oil in Alaska to fund to Japan.

Eventually, the time came where I had to step in or risk losing my investment. I had grown close to Germany and Austria, seeing them as my brother nations; I even renamed cities to more German sounding names. At this point I was the tech leader with tanks, destroyers and planes while the rest of the world was barely getting to infantry. Originally, I wanted to sail into Russia and collapse them and move back to finish with France and England, but I ran into some obstacles.

England had defeated Turkey and vassalized them. This put Austria in a bad position, and meant that England would now focus more on the west. Furthermore, my declaration of war on France brought in Argentina and Colombia against me. First, I had to deal with the nuisance at home. However, this brought me closer to Brazil, although they still wouldn't sign an alliance with me. I gave them technology to survive from the very strong Argentina which expanded all the way up to the tip of Equador.

I massed bombers and destroyers in order to weaken the Caribbean and Colombia while defending Panama. One by one I destroyed every Caribbean city, while keeping Trinidad for the strategic closeness to South America. Meanwhile, I was sending in small amounts of infantry into France and Poland in order to distract France and Russia from doing serious damage to my German allies. On the Japanese side, Japan was mauling away at British colonies, French Indochina, and Manchuria. They managed to take Beijing.

After landing in Venezuela with tanks, I took Caracas and got Colombia to vassalize me. However, Argentina had been massing in Suriname! Half my nation was producing units just to hold on to Venezuela in lights of Argentina's tricky strategy.

Finally Russia collapsed half of their nation, losing their cities in Asia. This was the time to focus on bringing an imperial nation down now. I had bombers stationed in Frankfurt, and landed a large army near Paris. I took Paris, and burned Bordeox and Brest to the ground. France vassalized me, and from here on the rest of the world is checkmated. I can simply airlift, since France has colonies in nearly every foreign continent where I need to fight. I have one regiment moving south through the Andes, another chipping away at Suriname, another moving in to end Russia, and another trying to collapse China for Japan. The year is 1945.

Germany and Austria, at this point from so much strain, are shaky when it comes to stability. However, Japan is doing fantastic with very solid stability just like me. Austria has become a vassal of Germany, and Germany and Japan are teching just as fast as me due to my vast empire. The future looks shiny.

Germany focused on capturing African and Asian colonies during the war, while defending Europe. They took Norway and Denmark, and killed Poland. Austria move into south Italy and Libya, and took Ukraine and Istanbul. Austria was very vulnerable. Japan was a bear the whole time, and never needed my help past my techs.

As clarification, although Japan and Germany have become fascist, the United States is still a free democracy. The People have just chosen to accept superiority and imperialism, and pro-German sentiment.
•I renamed my leader Fritz Kuhn.
New York --> Manhattan
Los Angelas --> Anaheim
Santa Fe --> Fredericksburg
New Orleans --> New Strasbourg
Sioux Falls --> Bismark

Can I ask you how you managed to focus so much on espionage while still researching the techs? Because if you mean the slider, then you obviously shouldn't be doing that, and if you mean by building espionage buildings, building research would have helped you more in the short term.

See the two AARs in my signature.

The world can look so different when it diverges so early.
I still have to finish the Phoenicia one one of these days.

See the two AARs in my signature.

The world can look so different when it diverges so early.
I still have to finish the Phoenicia one one of these days.

Please do! It is really awesome!

Top Bottom