AND2 and SVN Bug Reports - A New Dawn 2 ONLY

whats the point on playing a game in viewports? :undecide: ive used them once or twice,and the MAFs didnt go away...eventually

Viewports were created before graphics paging was added. The purpose of both is to hopefully reduce MAFs by reducing the amount of graphics that need to be loaded at any one time. Civ4's graphics engine is a "black box" for modding purposes and is also pretty inefficient, so these are workarounds. Viewports means you only have to load the graphics for what's visible in the viewport. Graphics paging swaps out what is loaded and what is not based on what's visible on screen.

Viewports were created before graphics paging was added. The purpose of both is to hopefully reduce MAFs by reducing the amount of graphics that need to be loaded at any one time. Civ4's graphics engine is a "black box" for modding purposes and is also pretty inefficient, so these are workarounds. Viewports means you only have to load the graphics for what's visible in the viewport. Graphics paging swaps out what is loaded and what is not based on what's visible on screen.
we kinda know that by now... :p any upcoming updates or bug fixes? any news?

Well, it was good while it lasted. The viewports got me further along than I've been in quite a while, but still getting MAFs by halfway through.

Well, it was good while it lasted. The viewports got me further along than I've been in quite a while, but still getting MAFs by halfway through.
people....stop trying to find solutions,or workarounds.someone has done something to the mode after a spesific rev.that has made it buggy and they cant figure out what it is...thats how i see it anyway.

CTD when load autosave or quicksave
I get a failure message window ingame, but the CTD after ist too fast so that I can't read it or make a screenshot.
Files are here https://workupload.com/file/dG7p2hLK
(Grapics Paging is enabled)

Attachments

• CTD.7z
    5.7 MB · Views: 212
CTD when load autosave or quicksave
I get a failure message window ingame, but the CTD after ist too fast so that I can't read it or make a screenshot.
Files are here https://workupload.com/file/dG7p2hLK
(Grapics Paging is enabled)

I get the CTD as well. The error messages that I read are "Load failed" (in the upper-right window) and "Failed to uncompress game data" (in the middle window).

Did you update during your game? There are a few things I can think of that might cause a game to permanently break.

I get the CTD as well. The error messages that I read are "Load failed" (in the upper-right window) and "Failed to uncompress game data" (in the middle window).

Did you update during your game? There are a few things I can think of that might cause a game to permanently break.
no, I made nothing. I made quicksave, exit game and restart it because I had an issue ingame; after click on an unit I could not click "next turn" while the active indicator still was on on any unit that I clicked a last. Was irregulary, hoped that a reload do fix it.

Had to load an autosave 3 turns before to continue the game w/o any issue (the autsav before also give CTD), .

Hi Everyone I hope you can help me. My game wont go beyong a certain point and it crashed in the sense that the turn wont complete and this is my save game please help me out ive invested so much time playing this !

Attachments

• Sejong AD-0316.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4.6 MB · Views: 236
Last edited:

it happened again. CTD, The regular save when exit game as well as the two autiosave before fail to load. e turns before I could continue.

Graphics Paging not working proper. I get often that the Vram usage goes far over 630 MB, just now up to 684 MB, and then CTD (while Ram usage is below 1700)
Means, the paging does not work correctly always. (In opposite it works fine in C2C, so its implementation here is buggy)

Graphics Paging not working proper. I get often that the Vram usage goes far over 630 MB, just now up to 684 MB, and then CTD (while Ram usage is below 1700)
Means, the paging does not work correctly always. (In opposite it works fine in C2C, so its implementation here is buggy)

Yes.. I strongly agree, graphic paging is not workin as it should. I was just about to post same..

It use to work, something about 20 revision ago broke it.

and another case: After load of save, 120 sec. the GPU exits just when there should come popup of a leader or city screen as work finished. Save attached.
sorry, wrong file, upload again the right one

Edit
I took autosav 1 before, 1st try I got warning of sunshadow random even.
2nd try I got no such warning, but revolution of a far away island I have.
However, 1 turns after, w/o warning, I got sunshadow event and after 1600 sec, after processed new autosav, the GPU exits while waiting to fiish then ext turn.
If I have seen right, the Vram related CTD happens if several popups come together and the Vram load is before the Paging processes to lower the uage right early before the additions usage of the random popups. Concurrent random events.

Attachments

• exit_GPU.jpg
    exit_GPU.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 151
  • exit_GPU.7z
    3.4 MB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Yes.. I strongly agree, graphic paging is not workin as it should. I was just about to post same..

It use to work, something about 20 revision ago broke it.

Graphic Paging has not been touched for ages, definitely not in the last 100 revisions and at the time the code was the same as in C2C. So I don't think that's the problem. I'm looking into it anyway, I'm experimenting with a new dll which should solve at least one infinite loop bug. Anyway I have not experienced MAFs and the few CTD I had in the last years didn't stop even if I used a new dll with code partially reverted before rev1065.

and another case: After load of save, 120 sec. the GPU exits just when there should come popup of a leader or city screen as work finished. Save attached.
sorry, wrong file, upload again the right one

Edit
I took autosav 1 before, 1st try I got warning of sunshadow random even.
2nd try I got no such warning, but revolution of a far away island I have.
However, 1 turns after, w/o warning, I got sunshadow event and after 1600 sec, after processed new autosav, the GPU exits while waiting to fiish then ext turn.
If I have seen right, the Vram related CTD happens if several popups come together and the Vram load is before the Paging processes to lower the uage right early before the additions usage of the random popups. Concurrent random events.

Game and mod are not designed for such big maps/games. I lowered the graphics settings and I have played on for around 10 turns without issues. Not a problem of Graphical Paging anyway, as nothing has been changed in the code since years.

Graphic Paging has not been touched for ages, definitely not in the last 100 revisions and at the time the code was the same as in C2C. So I don't think that's the problem. I'm looking into it anyway, I'm experimenting with a new dll which should solve at least one infinite loop bug. Anyway I have not experienced MAFs and the few CTD I had in the last years didn't stop even if I used a new dll with code partially reverted before rev1065.

Ok.. cant understand what cause these MAFs. Many players have same problem but parently not all.
I just tested yesterday latest C2C and their gigantic world map, no problem there but I cant play AND anymore with huge map without MAFs. And 20 revs ago I could..

Game and mod are not designed for such big maps/games..
Graphics Paging works with any map. In C2C also with the super giant UEM - Ultimate Earth Map, and the reslution is more than here.
Also, I remember that I could play the map fine, in RAND2, times ago.

Hoewer, there are also some other bugs related window popups and city screens and city table, which had not been there, past year..
As I see in performance monitor, the problem happens, if one or more popups (mostly by random events) come together just when the new page should be generated by Graphics Paging. The critical point is somewhere above 600MB Vram usage. If there comes no popup or other causing greater Vram load, the regular VRam may go up to 648MB before Graphics Paging gets activ and makes new page= lowering usage to something aroung 280 MB. But if there come several popups etc. before the processing point of Graphics Paging and rise the usage above that border (670-680MB) before Graphics Paging start processing, then it gives a CTD. Limit of the page is 640MB VRam technically (so far I see). (this is independent from Ram usage, as long as both together is less than 3.2 GB)

A workaround to prevent this issue is this: When I see that Vram usage goes up to 600, I click right at top of reaearch adviser or religion adviser, which is causing that the Vram usage does same as Graphics Paging, it goes down to 280-300 and I can continue and click next turn.

In C2C it works perfect. There the only limit is the 3GB Ram address limit (3.2 GB) of any XP program. No need to watch some other.

Edit
I'm not familar with the original code for the Graphis Paging, but if I understand it right, it looks for the current usage and, if touched a limit, it processes. If that point is set to high, or if first the pipeline for popups (by random events i,e,) has priority, then it is locig that it gives CTDs. The check for limit has to run any with priority before pipeline, and/or, check the limit set, maybe too late. (It should work at 600MB already, not later)

Not a problem of Graphical Paging anyway, as nothing has been changed in the code since years.
Maybe, but then some other, made later, is causing that it does not work correctly.
Take the old version (before 20?) and check what changes and additions had been done in between. Here some report it is since version 20.

(alternative question: how I get the last working version downloaded?)

Edit 2
just hat the case. load the sav, it worked fine with Vram usage below 400MB, then next turn, it poped up a revolution warning along with a dramatically rise of Vram usage from 400 to 602 MB, althought nothing other was shown than the revolution warning, hadn't moved or done any. There was no reason for loading 200MB Vram instantly at that point! If such happens while it is close to the 640 MB, then it gives CTD. (also, popup leaderheads rise Vram usage much more than the leaderhad has itself. Several leaderhaed popups in one line give same problem. If no leaderheads and no such warning of revolution with 200 MB additional usage, the Graphical Paging works fine at ~ 500 MB already, right before 600 inany case, if Imove overthe world.
Means, it is not the Graphic Paging, but some other that is blocking the process and loads irregular much Vram.

Last edited:
ok, found one reason, maybe it is the only:
Revolution warning message is always along with 200 MB or even more instant VRam loading, while the more red hand, the higher the loaded Vram.
There is no need that these little hands and the warning message popup use 200 MB Vram instantly (or even more).
Had it now several times and always it was same. See screenshots of two turns, before and after processing "next turn" and popup warning, watch the VRam usage
( before = 006 -> after = 007 and before = 008 -> after = 009)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 191
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 145
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 187
  • Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 178
Ok.. cant understand what cause these MAFs. Many players have same problem but parently not all.
I just tested yesterday latest C2C and their gigantic world map, no problem there but I cant play AND anymore with huge map without MAFs. And 20 revs ago I could..

I have run some stress test in the last days and I only got a hang (not a CTD) with a gigantic map. No problems at all playing with huge or giant maps until the very last turn, both wihh and without revolutions and barbarian civs. So really no idea what's happening. Just to make sure: do you get a CTD and a MAF error message? Or are you simply assuming it's a MAF? Thanks.

ok, found one reason, maybe it is the only:
Revolution warning message is always along with 200 MB or even more instant VRam loading, while the more red hand, the higher the loaded Vram.
There is no need that these little hands and the warning message popup use 200 MB Vram instantly (or even more).
Had it now several times and always it was same. See screenshots of two turns, before and after processing "next turn" and popup warning, watch the VRam usage
( before = 006 -> after = 007 and before = 008 -> after = 009)

Mmmm, I'll check that thing about revolutions although it looks strange to me. And I'll also check the graphical paging code in C2C: I think it has not been touched there either for ages so the code should be the same for AND2 and C2C, but you never know. Thanks.

Mmmm, I'll check that thing about revolutions although it looks strange to me. And I'll also check the graphical paging code in C2C: I think it has not been touched there either for ages so the code should be the same for AND2 and C2C, but you never know. Thanks.
to clarify: I say not it is a "MAF", as a "MAF" for me is when Ram allocation fails because limit of 3GB reached and a failure message related comes. This is not here in this case. No failure message and VRam usage problem only.
Here, in this case, the GPU stopps working, as I see in monitor log while it had max VRam load up to 681 MB. Most times it is along with a CTD, but sometimes no CTD but a GPU stop processing "only", means, the monitor still shows the (frozen) screen, keyboard and mouse are dead, need to use CTL-ALT-DEL to exit. (I'll post the monitor graph next time I'll have it again).
But all cases I now did watch yesterday are along with the revolution, either a warning or an other revolution message, and always along with great VRam load instantly.
As long as no revolution happens, the Graphics Paging working looks fine.
My "thump rule" now is; if current Vram usage + instant revolution additional Vram usage = more than 640 (or more than 656/672) => CTD as Graphics Paging ist not (can not right early) processing before the revolution, to reduce Vram so much, that the additional 200-280MB revolution Vram usage does not hit the 640 MB border.
The bug is hidden there where the reason for the extraordinary Vram usage is when revolution happens. There is no real need to load so much additional Vram instantly for these little additional graphic. What gets loaded? That's the devil.

Top Bottom