Ank09 - DI1 Redux - 3CC AW

Ankka

Deity
So, as my SG board started to get clean with some SG's ending and Ank08 looking like it will suffer a miserable death even though in a good point, it has come time to start this game.

Sir Bugsy also confirmed that he was interested in this, so time was surely ready.

This is actually a rematch for DI1, a 3CC AW game, and Ank06, a 3CC Conquest - game.

Game stats:

Difficulty: Regent
Civilization: China
Map size: Standard
Land form: Pangaea
Barbarians: Roaming
Other map settings: Random
Civ version: Play the World 1.27f
Variant: Always War, 3 City Challenge.

Roster: [Full]
Sir Bugsy
SesnOfWthr - replaced by grs
Bede
Cuivienen - replaced by andvruss
Ankka

So, let the discussion begin! :)

I think we need to think about an AW scenario, a la DI1.

Civs - I think we need to be scientific, although a good case could be made for the Chinese (mil & indust) with the rider. The Ottoman UU might be a bit late.

I think either Persia or the Ottomans, as well as China, would be the best choices.

Persia sure is good in the beginning, but will the GA and UU be too early for the AI, will they get to pikes too fast?

Are there no scientific civs with a knight replacement? Gah... Propably the Russians/Otto's would have theirs too late...

Tag.

Will offer some thought when I get out of work.

Some thoughts:

I'd really prefer the Otto's if we could keep up in tech. However, if we're facing rifles things get difficult fast.

China seems like a good UU, but their traits are partially wasted. The only thing that helps us is quicker promotions.

Persia just seems too early of a UU to really exploit the advantage well.

I guess if I were to order the three, I'd say Persia, China, Ottoman, in that order. Although it's close enough that I don't feel really strongly about any.

In DI1 we played as Japan. The Samurai induced GA was very nicely timed. For that reason the Chinese have a point in their favor and the Persians get one deducted. We did eventually get to cavalry and infantry, never did get to tanks. I think a late Sipahi induced GA would be great as well. I would say:

1. Ottomans
2. Chinese
3. Persians

I also think the Otto's and Chinese are a good choice... how about Arabia, then? They'll also have the knight UU. So will Mongolia.

Personally I think the Otto's might be a good choice, with the knight UU civs second... And the Sipahi is awesome on attack. Beats even rifles easily, like a semi - tank.

So, what do you guys say? Otto's or some civ with a knight UU, like China or Mongolia?

Confirm.

Three city AWM, huh?

Industrious is a great trait for that, so is Militaristic.

That fits China, doesn't it?

Suggestion: set barbarians to raging. We won't be expanding beyond three cities and that just might slow down the other nations just a leetle, and barbarian camps make great training grounds for a militaristic nation and are worth 25g a hit.

Bede said:
Confirm.

Three city AWM, huh?

Industrious is a great trait for that, so is Militaristic.

That fits China, doesn't it?

Suggestion: set barbarians to raging. We won't be expanding beyond three cities and that just might slow down the other nations just a leetle, and barbarian camps make great training grounds for a militaristic nation and are worth 25g a hit.
Well, this can be regent too, it's up to you guys. ;)

And also, China is a very good suggestion.

The civ vote is:

Ottoman 1 (Bugsy)
China 2 (Ankka, Bede)
Persia 1 (Sesn)

Need vote from Cuivienen.

Barbs to raging... ok, but might cause some problem when almost the whole world shall eventually be empty...

We played the original 3CC AW in regent and lost histographically in 2050 and then eliminated the winners by 2078 AD. I was looking to replay that game and suggested it to Ankka.

On civs - Arabia is religious and we will only use that once. Mongols are expansionist another trait we'll never use.

Raging barbs just gives us one more enemy.

I would vote Persia, but I'd rather not force a tie. China is fine, too.

On barbs -- they'll be nice at Raging once we clear a large area around our cities, but until then they'll just be a pain.

So the votes would look like this, I suppose:

Ottoman 1 (Bugsy)
China 3 (Ankka, Bede, Cuivienen)
Persia 1 (Sesn)

I guess that makes it China. All fine with this? :)

On Bugsy's request for not raging barbs, it will be the default, roaming.

Are you saying that we should do this on Regent, Bugs? Might be clever... :hmm: What do you others think? Regent or Monarch ( :eek: )?

I hope it's ok to all to play this on PTW.

I wasn't requesting it, I was just pointing it out.

The original game was played at regent. It got pretty hairy at times. Figure you greatly handicapped the human team by restricting us to only three cities. The concept hasn't been won on regent. If we win on regent, then we can step it up to monarch and become the grumpy youth of 3CC AW.

Ok... Regent it is. If it's too easy we'll go higher and higher, until we reach Sid. ;)

So, is everything settled? Would you like to create the game, Bugsy, or should I post some starts? Or are we trying out the first we get? Might be a little suicidal, I guess...

Edit: How much land do we want? 60% , 70% or 80% water? I think 70% would perhaps be the nicest..

70% is fine. Or you may want to just go random on everything but land mass type => Panagea.

We will need to be near the coast, with one coastal city, just in case there are off-shore islands.

I'm sure we are near enough to the shore, usually civs are. Even on a pangaea.

You could try some starts with those settings and we can choose the best ones. Ok? :)

Top Bottom