another hof spacerace start

One thing that worked out really nice when I "refocused" on TGL: It allowed me to quickly cut off elephants from Darius. He did get one built tho.

1 AD

19 cities. My last Darius city has 11 forest preserves in its future for the N.Epic/N.Park combo.

616 beakers (-244 gold)

I have 26 workers...with almost nothing left to do. I've pre-chopped everything on the map.

I researched Nationalism, Liberalism (free: Const) and I'm on Printing Press.
(traded for free techs: Philo, Literature, compass, machinery, feudalism, music)

I fixed my Liz problem and we are still tolerating each other and have OB. I had to burn a couple precious techs on Mansa to get him to dislike Liz, and then to get him to declare war on her. That should keep her busy until I finish with Isabella.

When the Taj completes in about 8 turns, I will switch to Nationhood/Rep/Caste/Pacifism. I will draft 18 muskets in the 5 turns I'm forced to stay in Nationhood. I'll switch back to Bureaucracy after the 5 turn waiting period. The main goal of the golden age is to get great people for the next 2 golden ages and get a GE and GM for the corporations.

Save file...

Attachments

• Snaaty AD-0001.CivBeyondSwordSave
    178.3 KB · Views: 195
375 AD

Once I get back into Bureaucracy,
I reach 1000+ beakers/turn at only -100 gold
I'm flying thru Chemistry, Sci Method, and Biology.

I'm about to take the Isabella cities that I like and leave her on some crappy islands. Question: should I take her as a vassal? I usually play with vassals off. It would be nice to be able to demand her iron once I have mining Inc. I also might need to pass thru her borders. She does add to my land count tho. Hmm...

Getting early Nat Park with lots of forest preserves is interesting idea on this map. We get Sci Meth really early here means we can get forest preserves really soon. OTOH until you get at least forge, city will run 11 citizens, which is not bad with Representation anyway.

I wonder why don't you settle city 3S from capital. Can work 2 bananas and some cottages for capital, while cost you nothing in maintenance.

Are you saving forests to chop SS parts?

I have 26 workers...with almost nothing left to do.

There's always a lot to do!

A lot of farms for rapid early growth with pre-improvements to workshops for example.
Same thing for windmills over mines, watermills, etc.

You'll want to have some buffer population to whip the larger more beneficial buildings since you're teching pretty fast.

Getting early Nat Park with lots of forest preserves is interesting idea on this map. We get Sci Meth really early here means we can get forest preserves really soon. OTOH until you get at least forge, city will run 11 citizens, which is not bad with Representation anyway.

I wonder why don't you settle city 3S from capital. Can work 2 bananas and some cottages for capital, while cost you nothing in maintenance.

Are you saving forests to chop SS parts?

I probably should have settled there. I was just letting the AI settle for me and never got around to it. I'm trying to play kinda fast.

Yes, I'd like to save some forests for SS parts.

There's always a lot to do!

A lot of farms for rapid early growth with pre-improvements to workshops for example.
Same thing for windmills over mines, watermills, etc.

You'll want to have some buffer population to whip the larger more beneficial buildings since you're teching pretty fast.

Yea, I'm mostly joking about the workers, although I did kill one just because. :lol:
I've never been much of a farmer. Maybe this is a tip I should take to heart an try to use it more. I don't like farms until after Biology and then I really don't like them after sushi. I also don't like working a farm during a golden age. That doesn't leave much time to work a farm. I basically use them to irrigate resources.

Farms are transitional improvements most of the time (unless you are whipping). Their only purpose is to let you grow to desired size faster.

The era you're in atm is ideal for farms imo. Getting late to cottage and workshops still suck (and as you said, bad in Golden Age). Plus, you're getting close to Biology.

@ wastin:

dont take a vassal, it will only drag you down towards the dom limit (your idiot vassal settling a city and tripping you over)

-> what i plan to do:

let a very backwards ai live on an island with 1 city, gift him some mainland cities untill he builds a colony (-> vassal), kill said ai on the island and you will have an almost "clean" and very backwards ai on the mainland with only -2 for declaring once and lots of +for liberating cities close to his mainland capital

i will update the 1 AD comparison this WE. already very curious about your 500 AD save (you are having around 4000 beakers on me at 1 AD already, but i´m cautiously optimistic that i might come closer around 500 AD because of the reli combo kicking in and the additional techtrading i might be able to do)

let a very backwards ai live on an island with 1 city, gift him some mainland cities untill he builds a colony (-> vassal), kill said ai on the island and you will have an almost "clean" and very backwards ai on the mainland with only -2 for declaring once and lots of +for liberating cities close to his mainland capital

Wow I don't think I would ever think of that, very clever. I think this could be applied to other situations as well. Thanks ;)

So you postpone sushi till you get Kremlin and may be Iron Works?

I try not postpone sushi for anything. I do take the detour to communism so I can build the kremlin before I get sushi. I don't worry about steel/IW. If I have to research steel, it would only be if I'm waiting for the AI to get me a free tech like corporation.

@ Wastin : what is your target date for Sushi? I assume you'll Lib Medicine right?

Sushi is looking like it will come in during the later 600's AD.

I wish I could go back and double up my army just after Oxford. I've now set a target (for future games) to complete wars and be near domination by turn 130 so that all cities are out of revolt by 140. Unfortunately, in my game, I'm not gonna get the last captured city until 150. This is my first "real" normal speed space race played in this style, so I didn't know when sushi would come in.

That is extremely slow. On marathon, I target Sushi soon after turn 310 (around 300 BC) and I get Mining Inc around turn 330 (1 AD is turn 350).
Any idea why there is so much disparity between the dates? More city capture gold? Or is marathon more suited to getting a huge number of cities early?

Sushi is looking like it will come in during the later 600's AD.

I wish I could go back and double up my army just after Oxford. I've now set a target (for future games) to complete wars and be near domination by turn 130 so that all cities are out of revolt by 140. Unfortunately, in my game, I'm not gonna get the last captured city until 150. This is my first "real" normal speed space race played in this style, so I didn't know when sushi would come in.

we are using this game for "training purpose", so i would really like to encourage you to go back and retry if you think you can do better at a certain point

-> the ideal goal would be to find an optimal strategy, so reloading (as long as you mention when and why) is really recommended in this special case:)

@ yester:

there are 2 reasons actually:

1. gamespeed doesnt scale linear on marathon
2. walking around takes less time because unit speed doesnt adapt to gamespeed (warring, workers, everything goes faster because of faster moves)

Any idea why there is so much disparity between the dates? More city capture gold? Or is marathon more suited to getting a huge number of cities early?

I think it comes down to the fact that your army essentially moves and heals 3 times faster, so you can get to 50 cities by 1AD if you want to. There are dozens and dozens of small advantages to marathon, but there is one other huge one. For some reason, they chose to only double the cost of units instead of triple. So an executive is only 200 hammers. Execs are 100 on normal speed. Military units are also cheap this way.

we are using this game for "training purpose", so i would really like to encourage you to go back and retry if you think you can do better at a certain point

-> the ideal goal would be to find an optimal strategy, so reloading (as long as you mention when and why) is really recommended in this special case:)

I understand.
However, I'd rather just play an entirely different game with the new strategy I picked up instead of re-play this one. There are some non-ideal things on this map. It's not Deity. Stone/marble is not convenient. Forests are a bit sparse. Islands: not mixed in. Why? Etc.
The mainland is sorta small. One of the reasons I didn't build that 2nd army and take cities faster was that I thought I'd have to leave 2-3 AI alone because of the domination limit. However, this map allows you to kill all but one and still not reach domination. Since I played kinda fast, I didn't calculate how much land I could take properly.

And finally, I might like to set a HoF record score with my next game.

@ wastin:

no problem, the time you were already able to invest is great.

on to my game:

i reached mining 640 AD, as first corporation (one gm was needed for a trade mission to keep research up) - research is slowly aproaching 2000 beakers, noney a bit over -200 gold/turn at 100% research

i will post a more detailled update once i find the time, maybe after sushi is in as second corp

an important question:

how do you keep up research once you started spreading your first corps and want to start on the second one (meaning, having finished spreading your first corps AND now reached the second one)

-> i got mining 640 AD and could have sushi 780 AD, but i dont really see how i can pay for this while keeping research at 100%

-> do you delay the second corps or do you use GM missions (i already used one GM mission for the first corps, but could delay the next GA for another GM missions ... ... i have a "spare" GM). the delay of the next GA would be 4 turns, OR i could delay sushi for 2 turns and get the free GS from physics first...

an ideas, tips, experience?

Top Bottom