• Yes

Votes: 79 53.0%
  • No

Votes: 55 36.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 15 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you saying the Saudi people should be gratefull that the US keeps their kleptocratic dictatorial monarchy in place?

A monarchy that buys companies and incredible mansions in the US and Europe with Western Oil dollars while leaving the country they are supposed to lead in a backward state?

Just trying to get something clear here.

Personally I am gratefull for what the US did in World War 2 and after that with the Marchall funding programme. Of course doing this was also in the US interest to keep the commies out of Europe, but still I think it is something to be gratefull about. Im also gratefull the US is around to fight terrorism and scare countries like North Korea. If that was up to Europe the world would be much worse of IMHO.

Phlegmak said:
You know what? I bought Christ Illusion because of your recommendation. I'm thoroughly disappointed. I also bought God Hates Us All at the same time. God Hates Us All is much better, but both God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion are mostly the same. Reign In Blood will probably forever be Slayer's magnum opus. Slayer should try to expand their sound into something new. There are more strings on the guitar than the deepest 3.

Whoa! I have the power of commanding people! :woohoo:
You should be grateful I didn't tell you to kill yourself. :evil:

I'm surprised how one can like God Hates Us All and hate Christ Illusion at the same time since, well, you said it yourself, the latter is a musical continuation of the former. But to each his own, I suppose.

Phlegmak said:
Slayer should try to expand their sound into something new.

That makes no sense at all. None whatsoever. Go increase your medication. Or better, listen to some Christ Illusion. :p

/Thread jack over.

Panda said:
Whoa! I have the power of commanding people! :woohoo:
You should be grateful I didn't tell you to kill yourself. :evil:

I'm surprised how one can like God Hates Us All and hate Christ Illusion at the same time since, well, you said it yourself, the latter is a musical continuation of the former. But to each his own, I suppose.
You misunderstand. I don't hate Christ Illusion. Just disappointed. EDIT: Especially since you said it was so good. You built it up and then the music wasn't as good as you said. You have yourself to blame! :p

AceChilla said:
Are you saying the Saudi people should be gratefull that the US keeps their kleptocratic dictatorial monarchy in place?

A monarchy that buys companies and incredible mansions in the US and Europe with Western Oil dollars while leaving the country they are supposed to lead in a backward state?

Just trying to get something clear here.

Personally I am gratefull for what the US did in World War 2 and after that with the Marchall funding programme. Of course doing this was also in the US interest to keep the commies out of Europe, but still I think it is something to be gratefull about. Im also gratefull the US is around to fight terrorism and scare countries like North Korea. If that was up to Europe the world would be much worse of IMHO.
A Dutch person! Please respond in my thread about Dutch labor practices.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=190516

Hitti-Litti said:
No.

We wouldn't be conquered by Nazi-Germany in WWII even if Americans wouldn't have landed to Normandy, coz Finland was a little amount of time on Germany's side AND we remained independent in war against Soviet Union.

Eh? Without the support of the United States, the war would be many, many times more difficult for the Allies, and I doubt they could have won. Don't be silly, Finland is not all that matters. If WWII had been lost, everything from France to Russia would be occupied by totalitarian governments.

You have a lot to thank the United States for, and if you think that just because we got in a war you didn't like you can forget all we've done for Europe, you decieve yourself. Seriously, I think everyone needs to be at least grateful to the United States, even if they don't support their present actions.

warpus said:
I'm grateful that America is running the world instead of China, India, or Russia..
I am not.
And my only reason for being "grateful" for "America" is its great cultural contribution.

I think the US is a great place. Both my wife and I are really happy with our move in California, and we plan on staying here a long time.
However, grateful? I do not think so. If I am grateful for the US, then why should I not be grateful for the countries that shaped the US, and then for the countries that shaped the countries that shaped the US, and so on until I'm grateful for all the world?

puglover said:
You have a lot to thank the United States for, and if you think that just because we got in a war you didn't like you can forget all we've done for Europe, you decieve yourself. Seriously, I think everyone needs to be at least grateful to the United States, even if they don't support their present actions.

Just because I'm curious, would you, as an US citizen, be grateful for France because "you have a lot to thank France for as far as the creation of the US is concerned, and if you think that just because we did not get in a war you liked you can forget all we've done for the US, you deceive yourself? Seriously, I think everyone in the US needs to be at least grateful to France, even if they don't support its present actions."

America not perfect, I can see that total sure. World better for America, yes it is true.:goodjob:

Masquerouge said:
Just because I'm curious, would you, as an US citizen, be grateful for France because "you have a lot to thank France for as far as the creation of the US is concerned, and if you think that just because we did not get in a war you liked you can forget all we've done for the US, you deceive yourself? Seriously, I think everyone in the US needs to be at least grateful to France, even if they don't support its present actions."

Yeah, I'm grateful for what France has done for us. Your point?

I disagree with France's current policies, but I am very grateful for all they've done in World War I, and I think Americans should respect that.

Phlegmak said:
World War 1? Don't you mean the American Revolution? The Statue of Liberty?

I was mentioning a more recent example, but sure, I'm grateful for all that Europe has helped America with.

puglover said:
Yeah, I'm grateful for what France has done for us. Your point?

My point was that a lot of people that are asking that the world should be grateful for the US and complain about US bashing are often not very grateful for France and do not hesitate to bash France. You apparently do not have these double standards and I'll remember that.

puglover said:
I disagree with France's current policies, but I am very grateful for all they've done in World War I, and I think Americans should respect that.

I was really thinking about the Revolutionary Wars.

I'm grateful for America in the general sense that many things I approve of are from there (such as one of my passports ;)), but it has a tendency to produce uniquely nasty things, and I have a suspicion that many of the good things would have developed in other nations.

I'm grateful for some things American people have done, but not for America. The same applies to most countries.

puglover said:
Eh? Without the support of the United States, the war would be many, many times more difficult for the Allies, and I doubt they could have won. Don't be silly, Finland is not all that matters. If WWII had been lost, everything from France to Russia would be occupied by totalitarian governments.

Like I said, we were at least for a little time on Germany's side. That would have given us at least a small amount of time of peace. And Russia pwned Nazi ass pretty badly. I'm not saying that Allies would have won the war even without US support, but I'm saying that it wouldn't have been impossible.

Finland isn't all that matters, I agree. I just thought what the things would have looked by Finland. Maybe if Allies would have lost to Germany, they would have conquered Finland too.

Nobody knows for sure.

I think the original question is flawed. To say "grateful" implies someone or something you'd have gratitude toward. So, as pointed out by a few, you might more correctly say gratitude "to" America.

But, since America is not a person or any kind of singular entity that you can address, how does one express this gratitude?

I also don't like the implication that some Americans expect the rest of the world to fellate the US because of the past, positive things its done. True charity is not done w/ the expectation of a reward. And, if a reward is expected (ie loyalty in times of war, economic quid pro quo, whatever), then you can hardly expect gratitude as well, since our goals for doing it were self-motivated.

As an American, I'm glad I live here. I'm glad I was born here. I love the history of my country. And I think that what the US aspires to is awesome. Sadly, we'll violate those aspirations at the drop of a hat.

warpus said:
So you'd prefer to have China or Russia run the world?

I'd prefer a world run by consensus of all nations.

Top Bottom