As a muslim, how do you take the anti islam comments posted on this forum?

Originally posted by The Yankee

I've found many a Muslim who respect and treat women as equals.

That is yet another generalization that sets back progress.
most of us do respect and treat women.

I've always advocated a cease to these hate-filled remarks and actions against Muslims, or anyone for that matter. In high school, there were a few people who started giving Muslims a hard time. In the months after the attack, I stood alongside many of the Muslim students I was proud to call friend, along with a few other non-Muslims to get the ignorant few to stand down from their blind attacks. After that, it waned and finally ceased.

Originally posted by Al Zan

most of us do respect and treat women.

Exactly. And most of them, when given the chance to speak, do not endorse the laws that demean women.

Originally posted by Pontiuth Pilate
a muslim atheist?

Why not, I'm a Jewish agnostic! ;)

I think his point was that it is possible to be culturally Islamic [or Arabic I guess is the better term, unless he's Bangladeshi or Turkish or something like that] while still refraining from believing in the particular god attached to that culture.

EDIT: Knowing that he's French, it's far more likely that he's North African, eh? ;) slipped my mind, sorry.

Yes I am North African, from Tunisia (that is why the Hannibal Barka), and I define myself as being a Muslim Atheist, culturally muslim, but I do not believe in Allah or any other God for that matter.

Originally posted by HannibalBarka

Yes I am North African, from Tunisia (that is why the Hannibal Barka), and I define myself as being a Muslim Atheist, culturally muslim, but I do not believe in Allah or any other God for that matter.

I find that an interesting point of view! I have never even thought of defining myself christian atheist, or culturally christian.

Originally posted by Stapel

I find that an interesting point of view! I have never even thought of defining myself christian atheist, or culturally christian.

Do you celebrate Chrismas, hide eggs for Passover, marry in a Church, won't change your WE days for Friday or Monday ?

Do you celebrate Chrismas, hide eggs for Passover, marry in a Church, won't change your WE days for Friday or Monday ?

Hehe, yes and no.... I do go to church to accompany my grandma with christmas. And yes, we do celebrate a overdone dinner at christmas. But that's about all. I have also celebrated a christmass dinner in february twice.

And no, never ever will I marry in a church. That sounds ridiculous to me.

About the WE days: yes of course that is here by christian culture! But that doesn't make me a cultural christian, I think!

About the WE days: yes of course that is here by christian culture! But that doesn't make me a cultural christian, I think!

Well, christianity has been here for so long that now it's difficult to separate culture from religion in some aspects. Many cultural behaviours come from christianity. Perhaps we need some new words to define this kind of things (christian atheist doesn't sound too good)

Originally posted by bobgote
Start? that's been going on the whole time i've been here :confused:
Yea but that against religoin in general, god in general, and the bible, not angainst Cristyanity as a religion; arguement against it here are arguing that christyanity has its facts of the univerce wrong, not that it is bad for society.

I'd say, like it or not. From a different worl-region perspective, you are West-European. And that includes Christian culture. That does not mean, you believe in god nor go to church, your just a product of a church-influenced culture, with it good and bad sides.

Originally posted by The Yankee
Exactly. And most of them, when given the chance to speak, do not endorse the laws that demean women.
Okay, let's try a couple of real-world examples: Iran, and Saudi Arabia.

Iran is, if memory serves, primarily Shi'a, whilst S.A. is mainly Sunnite. S.A. has numerous oppressive laws governing what women can and cannot do, as evidenced by the restrictions placed on US servicewomen stationed there: must wear burkas, must follow men, cannot drive or even sit in front seat of a vehicle, etc...

Do similar restrictions exist for women in Iran? I must confess that I do not have any information on the Shi'a branch of Islam.

Also, can someone remind us all of where it was that those teenage Muslim girls were forced to die of smoke inhalation rather than escape the burning school because they didn't have their burkas on?

Originally posted by Mopheo

In any case, I'm wondering how you feel about the constant criticisms of Islam in this forum

Islam like all religions has its faults. However there is a growing tendency amongst people to make Muslims, Arabs and Terrorists synonymous. Also people wish to blame Islam for the faults of the governments of Arab countries. These sentiments are just borne from sheer ignorance. If people would actually take the trouble to learn about each other then we would not be in the sorry state that we now find ourselves.

Everyone celebrates christmas, they've made it nothing to do with christianity now. Who's going to turn down presents and a holiday? And I'll take Friday and Monday as a day off :D

Originally posted by Souron
Yea but that against religoin in general, god in general, and the bible, not angainst Cristyanity as a religion; arguement against it here are arguing that christyanity has its facts of the univerce wrong, not that it is bad for society.
We must be on different forums :)

Originally posted by Peri
Islam like all religions has its faults. However there is a growing tendency amongst people to make Muslims, Arabs and Terrorists synonymous. Also people wish to blame Islam for the faults of the governments of Arab countries. These sentiments are just borne from sheer ignorance.
Seconded. this is what irritates me.

Originally posted by FearlessLeader2

Also, can someone remind us all of where it was that those teenage Muslim girls were forced to die of smoke inhalation rather than escape the burning school because they didn't have their burkas on?

Cheap shot. That was a major catastrophe in Saudi Arabia, and I believe it was, as was reported by the BBC, also severely criticized by Saudi media and authorities. It was in fact a major scandal, comparable to that of allowing security personel in a Discoteque in Chicago to use teargas when the nation was on a high terror alert. Granted that was not because they were Christians - but still it should have been prevented. I mean all kind of freakish things happen in all cultures.

Iran is, if memory serves, primarily Shi'a, whilst S.A. is mainly Sunnite. S.A. has numerous oppressive laws governing what women can and cannot do, as evidenced by the restrictions placed on US servicewomen stationed there: must wear burkas, must follow men, cannot drive or even sit in front seat of a vehicle, etc...

Do similar restrictions exist for women in Iran? I must confess that I do not have any information on the Shi'a branch of Islam.

I'm not arguing that. However, that's government sponsored. That isn't exactly the will of the people at work here. Every single Saudi and Iranian I've met would not enforce those laws if they were in power. Of course, the governments are the ones who have the guns. Just look at Iran. You have some protests in Teheran, but eventually, once the cameras get tired of looking at it, repression rears its ugly head.

Do not equate the sentiment of the people with a non-representative government.

OK, let try a couple of real-world examples: the Vatican, and the US.

I heard that in the Vatican, the Head of State can't be a woman, and must have a d*** between his legs, but he is not allowed to use it.

In the US, a gay cannont be addmitted into the army unless he hide his sexual orientation.

HannibalBArka-

Nice try but...

A) I'm not a Catholic, and despise the sect pretty much completely for its perversions of faith and decency,

and

B) My kingdom is no part of this earth's. I registered for the draft as a conscientious objector, which means I refuse to serve as a soldier for religious reasons.

In short, I put my money where my mouth is. (IE I practice what I preach.)

HannibalBArka-
Nice try but...

A) I'm not a Catholic, and despise the sect pretty much completely for its perversions of faith and decency,

so, from which sect are you ?

Fearlessleader2, are you trolling ? Because based on an older Israeli-Palestinian thread I read when I was a lurker, I seemed to remember you listing the reasons why you thought arabs were backward. Instead of going through it in a round-about and (not so) subtle manner why don't you just come out and say what you want to say and save everybody some time ?

That reasserts my assumption, that the people who bash islam are also bashing other christian-creeds, they deem wrong. Because their sect is the only true and chosen sect. Yeah, right. Pride.

Top Bottom