1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask A Bulgarian

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Tolina, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Chieftain

As far as you can tell, what does the future in Bulgaria look like? ..and why is that?

What should Bulgarians do to improve the situation?
    What should Europeans/EU do to improve the situation?

2. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Makedonia?

3. Tolina

Tolina trust the pillars with your s e c r e t s

The future of Bulgaria sure ain't clear and nice. Let's see the latest headlines:

"15 dead after flooding in Varna. Turnovo and Dobrich flooded"
    "More than 1 billion euros embezzled from Cooperative Commerce Bank"

And, of course, there's the now one year protest, and the bizarre invention that could come out solely from Bulgaria - a "counterprotest".

Sadly, there are no political saviours (save from the Bulgarian Jesus, Nikolai Barekov, compared to whom, Jesus is an underachiever - he never ressurected two times, now did he), and I'm quite sure that even if someone unknown appears, he too would be corrupted.

Europe can't really do much; for what I've seen is that they're either threatening us with the stick ("You did WHAT WITH THE CUCUMBERS?!") or giving us the carrot ("There, there. Good euroslave. Have this agricultural subsidy"). They've never actually treated us as an equal.

It's quite difficult to steal from our own history, but I'm quite sure we'll eventually find a way.

4. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Interesting. They remind me a bit of the hoodoos in the Badlands near Drumheller, Alberta.

5. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

That's very HELLO of you.

6. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Like any other Balkan country, Bulgaria also "is bordering its own self" ;)

7. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

What exactly is the relationship with Turkey? I'm still wondering about that Entropa portrayal.

8. Earthman

Earthman Chieftain

Have you heard about the recent "Vistulagate" tape scandal in Poland? Among other things secret tapes recorded Poland's Foreign Minister Radoslav Sikorski complaining that Poles are actually not nationalistic enough:

Now post some funny things from Bulgarian tape affairs.

I like reading about tape scandals, both American and Eastern European ones. :)

Any recent political tape scandals in Bulgaria?

9. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

What?! You are still in Bulgaria? What do you mean bit too early? I dont stay much in Czechia since I was 18...

10. Earthman

Earthman Chieftain

Slav ship will transport you across the Atlantic to your fellow white Slavs.

They need a lot of white Slavs there since 1865.

11. Yeekim

Yeekim Warlord

What is your favorite brand of rakia?

12. Earthman

Earthman Chieftain

13. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

Do you think Bulgarians should build a copy of El Cristo Ridento in Sofia?

14. Tolina

Currently, the normal Balkan relations - we have our reasons to hate them, so do they, however, in the name of international cooperation, we don't actually hate each other.

Although, there was a certain communist government which tried to rename everyone who has typical Turkish names like Mohammed or Ali to more.. Bulgarian names, like Ivan and Dimitrov. Needless to say, it backfired and thousands of Turks went on a "great vacation".

Perhaps because I'm not old enough for that, and I haven't fully finished my education in EXTINGUISHED BULGARIAN UNIVERSITIES.

Tape scandals in Bulgaria are kind of lame and boring in comparison - oh noes, our General(like many things, he's not actually a general, except in ribbon-cutting, of course) Boiko Borisov is using governmental influence to cover his buddies under an umbrella! Funny how things work, but to take down said government, not a tape scandal was what broke the glorious government and created a political crisis which there's no end to it is..

Greedy and incompetent electrical companies. Seriously.

Any rakia fermented from an actual fruit, meaning - peach, grapes... etc etc. No stupid things like "tomato" or "shoes".

Our project for candidacy for 'European Europe Culture City of Europe' is Skopje 2020, which would be actually Sofia 2014, so it's not like we're plagiarising or something.

15. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

For a nationalist Bulgarian, who would they believe Constantinople belongs to?

In your opinion, what does the average Bulgarian look like? (pics are fine too)

What is the most delicious vegetarian Bulgarian dish, in your opinion?

What is your opinion of Tsar Simeon II (or however he is called these days)? What do most Bulgarians think?

What's the most stereotypically Bulgarian thing you do?

16. Tolina

You mean Istanbul? It belongs to Bulgaria - we almost besieged it twice.

Well, there's tikvenik. It's basically like banitsa, except replace the cheese and eggs with nuts and pumpkin. It's tasty.

In the earlier days of 2000s, Tsar Simeon II did come to Bulgaria as king-liberator-from-all-the-evil-things. Like all governments after 1989, he did basically nothing and he was only remarkable for being the child of Boris III.

Wait until the very deadline to do things, and when something horrible happens in some other part of Bulgaria (like the floods in Varna and Dobrich), repeat fervently "Thiswon'thappentomethiswon'thappentome".

17. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

What's the situation with the Romani there? Don't they make up like 10% of the population?

18. Tahuti

Tahuti Writing Deity

I think you are confusing them with Pomaks, who are Bulgarian Muslims.

19. Goodfella

Goodfella Showing results for

Nah, if you'd asked me, I would have had no idea what a Polmak was. I checked and Romania are only 5% it seems so I must have been thinking of Hungary or Romania.

20. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

It doesn't really read that well though, that you are so ignorant of this :/
    Btw, it is 'Pomaks', not 'Polmaks' :rolleyes: Pomaks are makedonians from the river Po valley, in Italy. Pls read up :(