Ask a religious Jew

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civ2, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

No problemo...
    You dont like war? I wonder what your Civ games looks like. :lol:
    But seriously. It wasnt my intention to start an argument but rather to get to know the level on which you understand spirituality as such.
    See, in my view the truth as described by different religions is quite correct or you can say that truth can be realized in different ways but it is essentially the same truth. So what I want to ask you is: Do you think that your religion is the ONLY correct one or do you think that it is the one best for you?
    Thanks.
    I subscribe to this very much. But I see it the way that one has to Realize the Truth/God first, then one can try to Reveal it and ultimately Manifest it in Earths atmosphere. It is through the aspiring individual and limited consciousness which like a drop merges with the ocean and becomes ocean itself- the unlimited/infinite.
    How do you see that yourself?
    Could you give me brief introduction to it? What is your personal experience with it?

2. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Heathcliff
    LINK1
    Spoiler :

LINK2
    Spoiler :

Gorak
    1. You'd be surprised. :lol:
    I'm NEVER a warmonger.
    NEVER.
    Well, I lose quite often due to this, but I'm too LAZY to micromanage also my ARMIES anyways... :lol:
    As of serious stuff:
    I'm sorry for possibly offending anyone, but I'm sure, that Judaism is not only the "right" one, but also the "first" one, cause (according to Torah) the very FIRST man, Adam, already knew G-d.
    As of "fit for someone", Judaism (for Jews) has an "offshoot", called Noahidism - for the entire humanity.
    So, according to Judaism, you don't have to be Jewish, to serve the "Jewish" G-d.
    (Oh, and there's only ONE G-d, the "Jewish" part is about OUR relations towards Him, not G-d Himself.)
    2. I hope, it was useful. :D
    3. I'm not disagreeing with your point, actually.
    WE do have to do OURS, and then G-d will do His. :D
    4. Chabad (the most notable Chassidic movement of today and yesterday AND tomorrow)
    Tanya (the main book of Chabad Chassidism; beware of its primary target being JEWS)
    It's hard to make it a nutshell, but generally, Chassidism is the way to understand:
    a. The entire universe and even the spiritual worlds, all were created for the Human.
    b. What is the Human's role in the Creation.
    c. Why there are two types of Humans - Jews and non-Jews.
    d. What are the roles for each of them.
    e. How each Human action is reflected in the entire Creation, including the most spiritual worlds.
    f. What we know about G-d.
    g. What we can know about G-d.
    h. How we should understand, that we can't know anything about G-d; yet we must strive to understand what we CAN.
    ETC... ETC... ETC...

3. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Who would you consider to be the first Jew?

4. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

I´m not quite sure how these links relate to the question

The proper answer is that the Jewish concept of the Messiah is quite different from the Christian one, although the latter is derived from the first. The simplest answer is that in Judaic terms Jesus doesn´t qualify for being the Messiah.

All I could find here (and I wonder why you do not link to actual sources) is that 3 cities need to be conquered. I still do not see how it relates, especially to solving the ´Palestinian problem´. As is all of ´Godgiven´ Israel is already under Jewish control. Without any divine intervention I might add.

5. civ2

civ2 Emperor

timtofly
    Abraham of course - the question is kinda weird...
    Adam wasn't "Jewish", if you're talking about that. :lol:
    Though he spoke with the "same" G-d as Abraham, Moses and all true prophets.
    Like I said above, before and everywhere - there's only ONE G-d.

JEELEN
    Thanks.
    My LINK2 was about how Jewish Law says pretty much the same thing. :D
    (Though, Maimonides adds, that regardless of how wrong it is in the narrow sense, but it still led to people KNOWING the concept of Moshiach, except they err on WHO he is. But when the real one comes, most people won't be TOO surprised. :D)
    What's "actual sources"?
    Also, I've posted some maps somewhere on this thread, from wiki, with a MUCH bigger Israel, like twice in all directions.
    So, what we have now, is but a fraction of the future country.
    And I wouldn't call THAT "total control", sorry...

6. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

Would you agree that in western countries, Jews make Hannukah more important than it is (proportionally to other Jewish holidays) just to be "with" the Christians?

Like Christians do Christmas presents, so some Jewish people are making Hannukah a bigger deal than it was meant to be just to have an "equivalent" to their Christian neighbors? I mean, I do take it that Jewish people exchange presents and such on Hannukah, no?

What I'm saying that if it wasn't for the Christians having a holiday at roughly the same time of year, Hannukah would be much less of a "deal". No?

7. timtofly

timtofly One Day

Why is it weird? If it is Abraham, are all his descendants Jews?

8. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Oldschooler
    Yes AND no.
    As of presents, the real "presents" holiday is Purim, though it's rather about foods, than inedible gifts.
    There is one custom for Chanukkah, that is most probably not much connected with your question:
    On the fifth day, children usually receive some small money ("Chanukkah gelt/money").
    The reason is different though - to teach children about GIVING, they're supposed to give some of it to charity.
    I'd say, that "getting without giving", is not much of a Jewish way of thinking, thus we don't emphasize "presents" for birthdays or holidays.
    Not that we couldn't give something to our children or friends - but the key idea is to teach about SHARING, not plain RECEIVING.
    Now, back to Chanukkah.
    The tendency of "drawing attention" in recent times is twofold, as usual.
    The negative part is to draw attention of those unfortunates, that think like your question "why don't we have something similar".
    But the positive part is emphasizing the miracle of LIGHT, both in physical and spiritual meanings.
    So, while the "technical" reasons might be to "get attention of the wandering ones", the spiritual reason is LIGHT.
    And we know, that darkness is but an absence of light, - bring in more light, and darkness disappears immediately. :D

timtofly
    Funny, but no.
    (Ishmael wasn't, and Isaac's son Esau is a serious question. Though, there is a view, that Esau WAS like an apostate Jew anyways.)
    Until the Sinai revelation, being "Jewish" was not inheritable for 100%, unlike afterwards (born to a Jewish mother - Jewish forever; proper convert - according to some/most opinions, Jewish forever).
    Thus:
    Not all Abraham's descendants are Jews (Arabs an "Romans"/Europeans aren't).
    Not all Jews are Abraham's descendants (converts can be as black/yellow/red/white, as you want).

9. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Is it written somewhere in your holy book, or is it just unanimously decided that not writing god's name in full is a sign of respect for him? If it is not written down, one could also argue that not writing god's name in full is a sign of disrespect, after all...

What do you think about other religions claiming the same? After all, all of the Abrahamitic religions - correct me if I am wrong - claim that the first man, Adam, knew their god.

Do you see Christianity and Islam as a split-off of Judaism, or as other beliefs?

10. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

This is a racy question to ask, but as a Jew what do you think of Iranians? And especially, Iranian Americans.

I ask this because my dad is from Iran. Would you consider Iranians to be an "enemy" of the Jews?

edit: Another question I have regarding the whole Iranian thing.

My iranian family bombards me with Pro-persian propaganda, and I find it hard to separate fact from fiction as a result. I've ever heard that the Persian ruler Cyrus the Great was the only gentile to be crowned something (I forget exactly what) by Jewish people.

I've never heard an actual Jew say this though, so I tend to not believe it. Is it true?

11. civ2

civ2 Emperor

strijder
    I know, it's written somewhere, but can't find a link there (and I don't remember, where exactly).
    Not the first time I encounter this "name-writing" question, though.
    As of other religions:
    Did you miss what I said, that there is only ONE G-d, and He's not "Jewish" or "Muslim" or "anything".
    Those epithets are only regarding how those groups VIEW/DESCRIBE/RELATE to Him, not about WHO G-d is.
    I'm not sure, what's the difference between "split-off" and "other".
    Especially, since we clearly talk about the SAME G-d, just we view Him differently.
    Let's say, a father of three kids: 5, 15 and 25 year olds, is viewed by them totally differently - but is he three persons? Off course, not. Same here.

Oldschooler
    I think, no NATION should be blamed for stupidities of its INDIVIDUALS. :D
    EDIT:
    See Joecoolyo's post down there. :D

12. Gigaz

Gigaz civoholic

Will you answer questions about judaism on sabbat or is that work?

13. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I'm not a very religious Jew, but I will comment that this question is ridiculous and I'm sure you recognize that.

Just because there are geopolitical tensions between the sole Iranian country and the sole Jewish country does not translate to being tensions between the two peoples. Other than the politics, there is nothing that would label us or cause us to be "enemies", and I mean nothing.

14. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Gigaz
    Unfortunately, no electricity on Sabbath. :lol:
    Except, I'm in Europe now, so my times are different than, say, in USA.
    So, I might end up writing on YOUR Sabbath, not MINE. :lol:

15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Don't mean to troll but that article re : circumcision is terrible, ignorant & stupid.

Babies aren't "selfish" as much as they don't know any better. Research shows that when you try to use force/violence/coercion to "discipline" a baby you make the later child more insecure, manipulative & needy. Religious types would do well to educate themselves about child development & the study of personality before spouting off nonsense. The author hasn't done well to "defend" the practice at all. A baby isn't a Jew (in the religious) sense. A less insecure punitive God would want his disciplines to consciously choose.

Not trolling. Just critiquing.

16. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

But what about religions which believe in more than one god? It is hard to think that that is still the same god, as there is more than one god in , for example, Hinduism.

I regard Orthodoxy, Catholicism, Protestantism and Mormonism as split-offs of Christianity, for example. Do you regard the three Abrahamitic religions as versions of the same religion, or three different religions?

17. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Narz
    No prob.
    Doesn't mean, I can't counter it. :lol:
    LINK1
    Spoiler :
    Sorry for posting WHOLE articles, but I think they're relevant in whole. :D

LINK2
    Spoiler :

strijder
    The question was specifically about Christianity and Islam - in THOSE, we talk about the SAME G-d.
    In others, we just don't.
    And I was thinking about "sects", when I asked about the difference between split-off and different.
    Hinduism is not a "split-off", cause it has different "starting premises", while Islam has the same, just the "resulting data" differs.
    Abrahamic religions are like Opera, IE and Firefox; while Hinduism would be already Skype or Word.
    Looks similar, but works differently and has different goals.

18. caketastydelish

caketastydelish Deity

I only brought this up because of something my dad (who is Iranian) told me.

He told me when he was in college (this was in the 70's), in America, he dated a Jewish girl for some time and some Jewish guys gave him some trouble about it, and even told the girl "why are you with an enemy"

I'm just trying to see if "iranians are enemies" is a common Jewish belief (no offense), or if it is few and far between.

Based on what you're saying though, I'm guessing the answer is no. And that makes me happy. The few Jews I've actually talked to have been rather open minded people. It's just the emphasis is on few so I don't really know how the Jewish community at large feels about Iranians.

19. civ2

civ2 Emperor

Oldschooler
    How did Jews feel about Germans in, say, 1950???
    All they could think of, was Hitler and his atrocities.
    Do you get my point?
    HINT: :nuke:

20. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Why aren't half of Jacob's children considered to be bastards conceived in sin?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.