Ask a Vegetarian/Vegan

cybrxkhan

Asian Xwedodah
As requested, I'm starting a thread for anybody who has questions for vegetarians, vegans, lacto-vegetarians, ovo-lacto-vegetarians, ovo-vegetarians, fruitarianism, pescetarianism, pollotarianism, pollo-pollotarianism, and any other variety of vegetarian or vegan.

In this thread, I'll define a vegetarian as someone who excludes animal products/meat (or certain types of animal products/meat) from their diet. Vegans, on the other hand, exclude animal products altogether. If you have a different definition you think is better, feel free to ask.

As a side note, like in most threads, please don't turn this thread into a mindless debate. This is for Questions and Answers, and perhaps a little discussion of vegetarianism and veganism in general, but please nothing too heated.

I know there's a number of vegetarians and vegans on CFC, so if you're one, feel free to answer questions as well! Please tell me if you are one, and I'll list you below for easy reference.

Anyhow, below are vegetarians and vegans (and the varieties of such we consider ourselves to be) who can answer questions on this thread, for everybody's convenience:

- cybrxkhan (ovo-lacto vegetarian)
- vyapti (vegan)
- Kennigit (ovo-lacto vegetarian)
- Gorakshanat

Now ask away! Carnivores, omnivores, and herbivores all welcome to post their questions!
:banana:

EDIT:

For reference, I have been a vegetarian since I was in my mother's womb. My mom ate vegetarian when she was pregnant with me, and I've been vegetarian since birth. It's a different experience than others who became vegetarian or vegan later in their lives.

What do you think of kangatarianism?

What do you think of kangatarianism?

I never heard of that before, so I just looked it up Wikipedia. Anyhow, if it's an animal carcass, I'm not going to eat it. However, people are free to eat whatever they want; I'm not stopping them.

Would you be willing to eat insects?

No. I don't eat animal carcasses.

I heard they're a really good source of protein, though.

What meats do you miss?

Whats the extent of your vegetarianism? I know some people still eat eggs and drink milk and all that.

Where do you get your proteins and stuff? I know eating beans and tofu can't be a good substitute.

(the combination of pulses and grains can fill all the protein needs, I believe. So, rice and lentils?)

Are you a vegetarian on the grounds of environmental concern, ethical opposition to the suffering caused, taste, religion, something else??

How do you feel about things without a central nervous system like, say, oysters? Should they be considered differently to animals which clearly feel pain?

What meats do you miss?

Whats the extent of your vegetarianism? I know some people still eat eggs and drink milk and all that.

Where do you get your proteins and stuff? I know eating beans and tofu can't be a good substitute.

I don't miss any meat, because I was born vegetarian. I've been vegetarian since I was in the womb, since my mom ate vegetarian when she was pregnant with me. I've never really desired meat since then.

I'm an ovo-lacto-vegetarianism, apparently. That means I can eat dairy and egg products. However, I usually don't eat dairy for other health reasons unrelated to my vegetarianism. Ultimately, I don't eat any animal carcasses, but I'm willing to eat animal products.

Beans and tofu are reasonable substitutes for protein, actually, so far as I know. I also eat imitation meat (or fake meat, whatever you call it). I've also taken supplements throughout my life (though not as much right now), although I don't know how much these have helped me. All in all, though, my protein and iron levels are pretty good for a healthy person, as well as everyone else in my immediate family (who are also vegetarian). As you can probably guess, it is important for vegetarians and vegans to make sure they get a good supply of protein and iron, since many who try don't really know how to do it, and they suffer.

(the combination of pulses and grains can fill all the protein needs, I believe. So, rice and lentils?)

Are you a vegetarian on the grounds of environmental concern, ethical opposition to the suffering caused, taste, religion, something else??

How do you feel about things without a central nervous system like, say, oysters? Should they be considered differently to animals which clearly feel pain?

Why don't you eat animal carcasses?

It is more or less for all of these reasons. Originally it was for religious and ethical reasons, as my parents taught me while I was growing up (we're all Buddhist). At this point, however, I'm also doing it for environmental reasons, and also because I'm so used to it I really can't see it any other way.

As for things without a central nervous system, I'll still count them as things I don't want to eat. I know some people won't, and that's fine, but for me, as long as it's an animal, I won't eat it. I'm a bit iffy on sponges, though.

Do you get offended when people claim that vegetarianism is a choice you make?

If you were stuck on an island, and there were no plants to eat, just meat, would you eat the meat, or stay completely dedicated to your principles?

If you were stuck on an island, and there were no plants to eat, just meat, would you eat the meat, or stay completely dedicated to your principles?

...what does the meat eat?

I'm not sure I understand your question. Isn't it a choice... anyways? I mean I chose and still choose (and will probably continue to choose) to be a vegetarian.

I'll eat the meat. I'll feel terrible about it, and if I were a more devout Buddhist I'd probably feel really, really terrible about it, but otherwise I'd eat it if I had no choice. Maybe I say a couple prayers and repent or something, but I think looking at it in the long term if I survive I can probably do more good than starve myself to death.

On the other hand, some other vegetarians I know - particularly my brother - would refuse to eat the meat.

...what does the meat eat?

It's a pretty common hypothetical thrown at vegetarians and vegans to see how fanatical we are about our eating habits.

What are some good vegetarian dishes?

It's hard for me to say, since I've been vegetarian for so long it's natural for me to just cook normally using no meat. You can easily substitute imitation meat for real meat these days, given that there's imitation meat for... pretty much anything, if you know where to look for it.

As for vegetarian dishes, those that I like in particular:

- French Fries (as long as it doesn't have lard or animal fat or something)
- Kung Pao Tofu
- Pho (using imitation beef)
- Chili (using imitation ground beef)
- Tofurky (I know some people hate it, though)

And so on... I dunno if this really answers your question, since to me it's sort of like asking me what are my favorite foods. My suggestion, again, is that nowadays you can easily substitute imitation meat for real meat - and these days the imitation meat is done pretty well, oftentimes non-vegetarians wouldn't even notice the difference (at least from my experience).

I offered to join this tread in part because there are so many reasons for being vegan/vegetarian and in part to keep up with the questions. I have been vegan for three or four years, vegetarian for longer. My wife and kids are a mix of vegan, vegetarian and omnivore

I originally went vegetarian for health reasons. I went vegan because my diet had become massively cheese-centric (and I have no willpower). My reasons for staying vegan mostly revolve around animal agriculture. I am appalled at the abuse of power practiced by large Ag-related corporations like Monsanto and Tyson, especially since it has such an adverse affect on such national issues as nutrition & obesity, environmental degradation and corporate/political abuse. I refuse, in every way I can, to support big agribusiness. To a lesser degree, I subscribe to the doctrine of 'do no harm' and I'm glad I don't contribute to systematic atrocities to pigs, cows, chickens, etc.

Would you be willing to eat insects?

I've never had a desire to eat bugs.

What meats do you miss?

I don't miss any meat. I used to put half a dozen slices of bacon on a double cheeseburger. Now I can't stand the smell of bacon. I can usually tell the moment I've bitten into a piece of meat (such as a mistake in a fast-food burrito) and it's not a pleasant experience.

On the other hand, I don't eat dairy...and cheese is delicious. It always will be and I will always miss it.

I don't eat any animal products. I don't eat fish, chicken broth, gelatin, or anything derived from an animal. Bread has dough conditioners that can be animal based or vegetable based. I do the best I can to avoid the animal based, but it's really hard. If it's got milk, butter, or whey, though, I don't eat it.

A piece of meat is almost purely protein and fat. A lean cut may be 90% protein. In the vegetable kingdom, the best you get is about 1/3 protein. Beans are an important nutrient. In fact, everyone should be eating beans. They are an important protein & fiber source and are loaded with other important nutrients. In addition, many vegetables, such as broccoli and asparagus are high in protein. Grains usually have 7% to 10% protein and whole grains are an important source of fiber. Nuts are important too. Really, the only food that doesn't have much protein is fruit.

When I was working out daily, I tracked my nutrition meticulously. On 1800 calories, I got plenty of protein and way more fiber and most nutrients than a typical omnivore diet.

Yes. See above.

My largest motivation is not animal suffering. But, the environmental impact of most fishing & sea harvesting are substantial. I do try my best not to harm other animals. I wouldn't peel off a mussel at the beach for any trivial reason, including ingestion.

It is a choice. Generally speaking, I don't get offended at other peoples' diets or their views on my diet ... so long as they aren't aggressive.

If I were stuck on a desert island, I'd realize that Gilligan is a red shirt and devour him whole.

What are some good vegetarian dishes?

The variety in my diet expanded greatly once I stopped cooking with meat. When I went vegan, I started a food blog of my journey. There's probably a couple hundred examples of good vegan food. Our Veggie Kitchen

1) Fish sauce? Oyster sauce?

Nope.

2) What do you feel about killing animals for other purposes? For instances, dye (eg cochineal), leather, silk, etc

It's impossible to avoid animal products completely, but I do my best to avoid them. I use vegan toothpaste & deodorant. I wear a cheap canvas belt and converse shoes. My work shoes are leather because my vegan choices are 3x the price. I'm sure there's leather in my car. Vaccines and medicine often have animals in them, although I do take vegetarian sourced vitamin D and Omega 3.

This is more for vegans than vegetarians, but what is a vegan's primary source of B12?

Unless a vegan graises on unwashed grains & leaves (that's where cow get B-12), they need to take a supplement or shot. Since I don't have teammates willing to give me a B-12 shot, I take a pill.

for reference these people either were/are/aspire to be vegetarian or vegan of some kind (list of cfc veggie user group), but a lot more post in threads like these than joined that user group.
Spoiler :
Blake4000
CivOtaku
civplayah
cybrxkhan
Gorakshanat
grandad1982
Huayna Capac357
Kennigit
Linkman226
metatron
Narz
Nerowannabe
Traitorfish
vyapti
Yared

anyways for me, I just really really hate plants and want to eat as much of them as possible myself (lacto ovo).

real reasoning (from a previous poll thread on "why" people would be a vegetarian):
If you want a reason to be a vegetarian, go to wikipedia. Not all of us are "animals are people". Simple efficiency of input: output shows like, beef production is 50:1, and animals in the US consume ~70% of soy and corn crops and similar amounts of water.

Some can do it for health reasons. Some can do it because some foods taste better vegetarian (ie. I like plenty of dishes more w/ tofu than w/ meat). If someone doesn't like the taste of meat, then hey, it's a choice.

For me it'd be a mix of enviromental, health, taste. For instance, I never actually really liked bacon or pork or regular non-fried chicken all too much, so being a lacto-ovo isn't "giving up" any taste for me. Maybe burgers, but I pretty much burgers via fast food, and fast food isn't exactly healthy or good to have very often in the first place.

Why do you think people make such a big deal over what other people eat?

Top Bottom