Bible talk

I do admire people who are able to hold verses in their heads. They leak out of mine along with dates and proper nouns. I find it hard, at any rate.

Spoiler Lenten stretch goals :

Oh, that is just the most beautifully designed hymn!

Do you have a good singing voice, Farm Boy? I do not.

Last edited:
Not really. Particularly not in allergy season.

I do like the song.

Is this the final generation? Will the world end finally? Am I going home?
Stay tuned, Joij. I will actually address that (after my fashion) shortly.

Last edited:
The priest and Levite may have passed by on the other side for many reasons. Not the least of which could be that it would cost them time and money and no one would be around to see their good deed. What would have been the point?
i'm not sure what you're getting by. following the context of your former post on the homeless you often ignore, if this is a defense for the inaction of the priest and levite in the face of suffering, it's an incredibly poor one. so i wonder
- time and money are not really factors when it comes to christian virtue.
- noone seeing their good deed is what makes this read weird within the perspective of christianity, making me think this is not a defense.
- the point is virtue and love in itself under god's watch.

there's actual reasons they could pass by within the context, particularly the question of expectations of reciprocity within your tribe that i outlined before in the thread, but coming from this -
Gori's formulation works, best, if you adhere to the admonition to walk by the Spirit and not the flesh. Because we cannot help everyone and wouldn't know where to start or when to stop.
which i think is your stance? seems like a defense, and your defense is wholly unchristian. i definitely share the perspective that we can't help everyone and that we shouldn't burden ourselves with guilt as vicious people - but as an atheist, i'm also not spiritually obligated to by my covenant to god. because you know, i don't believe in him. you do, and supposedly thinks this is a moral standard, no? so your appeals to time, money and... fame... is very strange

He was just testing us: could we supply the Biblical quote that answered a question posed in feigned ignorance.

He know full well why the priest and Levite were expected to help even though it seemed no one else was present to observe their actions.

You may not have to. You did in that post.

(It was fine, by the way. I don't mind a pop quiz.)

(Especially one I can ace as easily as that one.)

He was just testing us: could we supply the Biblical quote that answered a question posed in feigned ignorance.

He know full well why the priest and Levite were expected to help even though it seemed no one else was present to observe their actions.
alrighty

Oh, that is just the most beautifully designed hymn!

Do you have a good singing voice, Farm Boy? I do not.

Set to "Sloane", I think, same as "Be Thou My Vision". I was very disappointed that our service last week on St. Patrick's day didn't incorporate any Irish hymns like "Be Thou".

I do admire people who are able to hold verses in their heads. They leak out of mine along with dates and proper nouns. I find it hard, at any rate.

Some of us grew up in traditions that promoted Bible memorization: I was a member of a Bible quiz team for several years in middle school.

One page back. I was just joking.

Ok, so Larry died and was buried. One of your own. Couldn't speak of God around him without evoking a stream of profanity that was so raw it was more like a physical assault than verbal. Larry was the sort of guy that everyone liked, had a natural charisma and was well respected in his business dealings. If one goes by the secular theory of the scales of judgement Larry mighty have graded out, surely if you suggested otherwise he would have cursed seven generations of your family. I don't know, maybe he made his peace with God, surely now he has received his reward. Grace to you Larry, and peace.

And one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us. But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation? And we indeed justly; for we receive the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.

Thanks for the sermon. Heard it a thousand times. The question remains - so what?

When the conservative right behaves monstrously and cites God while doing so, this notion becomes hard to believe. Those guys are going to heaven?

Donald Trump's Trying to Sell Bibles​

Donald Trump is peddling a new version of a Bible published by Grammy-winning country singer-songwriter Lee Greenwood.

In a three-minute, 15-second Holy Week message posted Tuesday on his Truth Social account, the former president and presumptive 2024 Republican nominee wrote "Let's Make America Pray Again" and accompanied his message with a video touting a "God Bless the USA Bible," which costs $59.99.
https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trumps-trying-sell-bibles-1883722

Around 1:20 he claims the Bible is his favorite book:

Here's how somebody talks convincingly about the Bible being his favorite book:

Top Bottom