Branch "Yields" - Base Setup: Yields, Professions, Buildings, Experts, ... [IMPLEMENTED]

So ok, next small package done. :)

Wool --1-> Wool Cloth + (Indigo / Bloodwood / Cochineal) --2-> Coloured Wool Cloth --3-> Everyday Clothes
Cotton --1-> Cloth + (Indigo / Bloodwood / Cochineal) --2-> Coloured Cloth --3-> Festive Clothes

I purposely tried to keep production step 3 simple, so AI might have a chance.
(Step 2 where it as to combine 2 Yields might alread pose a challenge, although it now has more choice for colouring Yields.)

By the way:
AI does not consider Coloured Cloth / Coloured Wool Cloth "final" anymore.
It considers them as input Yields to be consumed.

By the way 2:
Everyday Clothes / Festive Clothes are supposed to be a "End Game Yield" considering production.
("Mid Game Yield" considering Domestic Market.)

1) Early game: Your Domestic Market will hardly demand it.
2) Mid game: Your Domestic Market will demand it and you may import for making citizens happy and getting some additional cash.
3) End game: You produce enough of it to satisfy Domestic Market and also export to Europe due to not being able to sell all of it in Colonies.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 378
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:
Now also the Confectioner Professions are done. :)

Vanilla Pods --> (Dried) Vanilla
Cocoa (Dried) + Sugar --> Chocolate

The Master Confectioner Unit also got a bit of an Art overhaul.
(I did not really like his original style.)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 369
Here is a screenshot of another good one:
Leather Padder (Goat Hide Boots)

Sorry for not posting everything, but I am tired now.
Creating massive amounts of XML in the evening after work is a bit exhausting ... :crazyeye:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 369
So ok, first the good news:
The Professions - the last missing piece of base config - are done now as well. :woohoo:
Team members can now take a look and start helping if they want. (e.g. with translations)

Then the "not so good news":
There is still massive amounts of work ahead.
Especially considering balancing, the real work has now just started.
(That is actually much more work than some may expect.)

----

Also I want to add e.g. a few new Founding Fathers and Events.
After that the actual implementation of the "Economy Overhaul" will start.

Last edited:
Just so you guys can see how City Sreen currently looks like considering buildings.

All Buildings / Production Chains have been fully intergrated, nothing is missing anymore.
(Basically I needed to do that as "proof" of concept, that I get everything fitted in that screen.)
Spoiler :

There is now also a Graveyard, because I still had an empty spot to fill ... :)
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 348
  • Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0004.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
It's good that you've put the graveyard near the fortifications. More convenient.
Actually that was kind of my idea when placing it. :)
I imagined the Graveyard to be "outside" the town itself.

I am now working on the Founding Fathers for the New Yields.

This may include:
  • Balancing changes of existing Founding Fathers
  • Adding completely new Founding Fathers
----------

For some Yields I have already found good FFs.
(In most cases I rebalaced weak FFs and also gave them a Yield Bonus.)

Spoiler :

• YIELD_YERBA_LEAVES, YERBA_TEA ---> taken care of
  • YIELD_PADDED_FURNITURE,YIELD_DOWNS ---> taken care of
  • YIELD_FLAX ---> taken care of
  • YIELD_LOGWOOD ---> taken care of
  • YIELD_COCHINEAL ---> taken care of
  • YIELD_COLOURED_WOOL_CLOTH ---> taken care of
  • YIELD_FRUITS, YIELD_HOOCH --> taken care of
  • YIELD_GOAT_HIDE_BOOTS --> taken care of
  • YIELD_WILD_FEATHERS --> taken care of
  • YIELD_MAPLE_SIRUP --> taken care of
  • YIELD_HARDWOOD --> taken care of
  • YIELD_CASSAVA --> taken care of
  • YIELD_RICE --> taken care of
  • YIELD_PEAT --> taken care of
  • YIELD_PEANUTS, YIELD_ROASTED_PEANUTS --> taken care of

For these Yields I am currently still searching for a suitable FF.
(It may be an existing one or a new one.)
  • YIELD_COAL, --> a historical person related to "Coal" ???
  • YIELD_PIGS, YIELD_CHICKEN, YIELD_GEESE --> a historical person related to Pig Breeding or Poultry ???
  • YIELD_HIDES, YIELD_PIG_SKIN, YIELD_GOAT_HIDES --> a historical person related to "Slaughering" ???
  • YIELD_LEATHER, YIELD_PIG_LEATHER, YIELD_PADDED_LEATHER_COATS --> a historical person related to Leather Trade ???
  • YIELD_OLIVES, YIELD_RAPE, YIELD_OLIVE_OIL, YIELD_RAPE_OIL --> a historical person related to "Plant Oil" ???
  • YIELD_VANILLA_PODS, YIELD_VANILLA, YIELD_CHOCOLATE --> a historical person related to South America ???

For Hides/pig hides/goat hides FF maybe you could use the
Alexander Craig - he was a saddle maker who lived in colonial virginia in Williamsburg.

In this link I found a photo of what appears to be an old colonial house owned by Alexander Craig, which is now a tourist spot. https://www.flickr.com/photos/neopsychedelia/2270984450/in/photostream/

In these two links there are two articles that talk about leather production in the colonial era, maybe to extract more information about FF options. I tried to read, but as the texts are quite large and I'm not a native English speaker, I found it difficult to extract more information from these documents, although they seem to me that they can be useful to find these FF's.
If anyone here on the forum can help with this, I would appreciate it, to find the article faster, use the search tool with the terms "Alexander Craig" and "Governor Harvey". I think the FFs that are still missing for these new yelds are hides, leather and canola/olive oil.

https://research.colonialwilliamsbu...oc=ResearchReports\RR0107.xml&highlight=#n104

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/58293/58293-h/58293-h.htm

From these same two articles I think that for the FF of leather/pig leather/padded leather coats maybe you could use the
Governor Harvey - he was also from Virginia and complained about the lack of leather shoes in colonial virginia, and tried to install shoe manufacturers and tanneries in addition to preventing the export of leather or deer hide to supply the local market.

Ray, for the canola/olive oil FF, I tried searching a few days ago but couldn't find it, are there any more yelds that still need some FF suggestions?

... are there any more yelds that still need some FF suggestions?
Yes there are, but I need to check my concept systematically. :)
Also I want to try to check existing FFs again if something may match.

Give me some time to check what I already have. :thumbsup:
Then I will also know what I still need and where I need help searching.

Edit:
A quick check of my concept spreadsheets showed that I still need FFs for these:
  • Cattle Leather: YIELD_HIDES, YIELD_LEATHER
  • Pig Leather: YIELD_PIG_SKINS, YIELD_PIG_LEATHER
  • Leather Clothes: YIELD_GOAT_HIDES, YIELD_GOAT_HIDE_BOOTS, YIELD_PADDED_LEATHER_COATS
  • (Cloth) Clothes: YIELD_EVERYDAY_CLOTHES, YIELD_FESTIVE_CLOTHES
  • Confectionery: YIELD_CHOCOLATE, YIELD_VANILLA_PODS, YIELD_VANILLA
  • Worker Equipment: YIELD_HOUSEHOLD GOODS, YIELD_FIELD_WORKER_TOOLS
  • Pottery: YIELD_CLAY, YIELD_POTTERY
  • Kautschuk: YIELD_KAUTSCHUK
All the rest of the new stuff I have already found Founding Fathers for.

-----

Problem is simply that I cannot work at all of these at once - so there is no need to hurry. :)
So even if people find FFs, I would still have to create their 2D graphics and implement them.

-----

By the way:
Names of historically fitting persons alone are not enough.
I need really good quality images to create the 2D FF picture.
(Otherwise the name alone is useless.)

Last edited:
I have now also started working on some of the new Improvements. :)
(I have a bit of time this morning to try out some things.)

Here are e.g. the new Improvements for Breeding Chicken / Geese / Pigs.

I hope you like it - it is the best I could come up with after long searching.
(I found both graphics in Realism Invictus mod and modified / improved a bit.)

Breeding Pen:
(Level 1 Improvement.)
Spoiler :

Large Breeding Pen:
(Level 2 Improvement.)
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Pen_Image.JPG
    Pen_Image.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 284
  • Breeding_Pen.rar
    78.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Large_Breeding_Pen.rar
    100.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Large_Pen_Improved.JPG
    Large_Pen_Improved.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Ok, here you see the Breeding Pen and Large Breeding Pen implemented.

Breeding Pen is the Improvement for Chicken, Geese, Pigs and Goats. (Marshland, Wetland, Shrubland, Taiga)
Ranches will stay the Improvement for Cattle, Horses and Sheep. (Grassland, Savannah, Plains, Prairie)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 264
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 261
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 251
... mayby I find a solution when I look at the files again.
@Kathy
Do you think you might take a look at this again until the end of the week? :please:
I just mention it so it is not forgotten and I might take that "todo" off my list.
Sorry for annoying.

I don't know. If it was an easy problem where I know the solution, it would be easy to say yes, but it isn't. So I will have to see, when to do it.

If it was an easy problem where I know the solution, it would be easy to say yes, but it isn't.
I do not expect any promises that it will be solved until this weekend, I just ask if you might take another look until then. :)
I am just trying to keep an overview and ensure that things are not forgotten. Knowing the status really helps.

If your solution attempts do not work and you run out of ideas, simply let me know please. :thumbsup:
As long as I know, everything is ok and I can try to find other solutions. (e.g. find other buildings)

Last edited:
I can't even tell you, if I will have a look. Having a look on a problem I know is much more likely then having a look on something I cannot say what to do. First think I can assume how much time it will need and if it is worth doing it, the latter I cannot assume and so it depents on my mood if I want to take time for it or not.

... so it depents on my mood if I want to take time for it or not.
I fully understand. I am a modder myself. :)

... having a look on something I cannot say what to do.
Let me try to ask other graphical modders, maybe they already know a solution. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
With the help of @Walter Hawkwood we could now fix the "Confectioner Buildings". :woohoo:
Also thanks again to @Kathy for investing time and effort trying. :hug:

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 254
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 250
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 253
Yes there are, but I need to check my concept systematically. :)
Also I want to try to check existing FFs again if something may match.

Give me some time to check what I already have. :thumbsup:
Then I will also know what I still need and where I need help searching.

Edit:
A quick check of my concept spreadsheets showed that I still need FFs for these:
  • Pigs and Goats: YIELD_PIGS, YIELD_GOATS
  • Cattle Leather: YIELD_HIDES, YIELD_LEATHER
  • Pig Leather: YIELD_PIG_SKINS, YIELD_PIG_LEATHER
  • Leather Clothes: YIELD_GOAT_HIDES, YIELD_GOAT_HIDE_BOOTS, YIELD_PADDED_LEATHER_COATS
  • (Cloth) Clothes: YIELD_EVERYDAY_CLOTHES, YIELD_FESTIVE_CLOTHES
  • Confectionery: YIELD_CHOCOLATE, YIELD_VANILLA_PODS, YIELD_VANILLA
  • Worker Equipment: YIELD_HOUSEHOLD GOODS, YIELD_FIELD_WORKER_TOOLS
  • Pottery: YIELD_CLAY, YIELD_POTTERY
  • Kautschuk: YIELD_KAUTSCHUK
All the rest of the new stuff I have already found Founding Fathers for.

Edit:
Those I already found FFs.
(They are almost ready. Already have graphics, just need to implement.)

• Olives: YIELD_OLIVES, YIELD_OLIVE_OIL ---> Eusebio Franciso Kino
  • Canola: YIELD_RAPE, YIELD_RAPE_OIL ---> Humphrey Gilbert
  • Poultry: YIELD_CHICKEN, YIELD_GEESE ---> William Strachey
-----

Problem is simply that I cannot work at all of these at once - so there is no need to hurry. :)
So even if people find FFs, I would still have to create their 2D graphics and implement them.

-----

By the way:
Names of historically fitting persons alone are not enough.
I need really good quality images to create the 2D FF picture.
(Otherwise the name alone is useless.)

For the Field tools I suggest the following

Jethro Tull (1674-1741 was an English agriculturist from Berkshire who helped to bring about the British Agricultural Revolution of the 18th century. He perfected a horse-drawn seed drill in 1701 as a way to plant more efficiently. Prior to his invention, sowing seeds was done by hand, by scattering them on the ground or placing them in the ground individually. It was the first agricultural machine with moving parts. He later developed a horse-drawn hoe to weed and aerate soil between rows. In 1731, the inventor and farmer published "The New Horse Houghing Husbandry: Or, an Essay on the Principles of Tillage and Vegetation." While it contained several theories that were later proved to be incorrect, Tull pushed farming to become a bit more rooted in science.

Later in life he started a heavy metal band

upload_2022-5-27_7-48-55.jpeg

For Confectionary

Dr. James Baker (1739-1825)

In 1764, Dr. James Baker provided the financial backing for to a penniless Irish immigrant John Hannon to begin grinding and making chocolate in a grist & saw mill powered by the Neponset River just outside Boston. This was the first chocolate mill in the british colonies, prior to 1765 chocolate making in the colonies was still done in small batches for home consumption and sold within a few miles to nearby merchants and apothecaries. The brand's original name was "Hannon's Best Chocolate".The business prospered. In 1777, Hannon advertised his product with a money-back satisfaction guarantee. However, in 1779, Hannon set out for the West Indies to purchase cocoa beans. He never reached his destination and was presumed to be lost at sea. The name of the product was changed in 1780 after Hannon’s wife, Elizabeth Gore Hannon, sold her husband’s share of the company to Baker in 1780, after Hannon never returned. Original versions of the brand were not prepared for baking, and before 1865, the company purveyed three grades of drinking chocolate, which were “Best Chocolate”, “Common Chocolate” and “Inferior Chocolate”. The inferior grade was mostly sold to West Indian and American slaves.

Kautschuk

Francois Fresneau de la Gataudiere

François Fresneau (29 September 1703 – 25 June 1770) was a French engineer, explorer, botanist and scientist. He is credited for having written the first scientific paper on rubber. He was born at Marennes in 1703 and went to Paris at the age of 23 to study under the royal mathematician Chevalier. In 1732 he was sent to Cayenne to design the fortifications and determine the natural resources of the colony. Within 15 years he had constructed the fort and barracks, a canal, locks, and jetty, and a new layout for the town. He also never ceased hunting for plants of potential interest to the Jardin du Roi. It was he who located Hevea, which had evaded la Condamine despite his best efforts. Soon after making this discovery, ill health forced his return to France, where in 1748 he was decorated with the Croix de Chevalier de l'Ordre de Saint-Louis. His report on natural rubber was presented to the Académie des Sciences by la Condamine on 26 February 1751.

Not satisfied simply with having discovered natural rubber, he devoted the next 26 years to searching for a method to dissolve and liquefy the resin for fabrication into objects, and he found the answer – turpentine – in theory, if not in practice. Nostalgic for French Guiana, he approached the government about starting a colony on the Approuague River, but his project was shelved until well after the French had lost their North American possessions, by which time Fresneau had died at his retreat in Gataudière.

Top Bottom