Branch "Yields" - Base Setup: Yields, Professions, Buildings, Experts, ... [IMPLEMENTED]

(Cloth) Clothes: YIELD_EVERYDAY_CLOTHES, YIELD_FESTIVE_CLOTHES

Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764)

Jeanne-Antoinette Poisson was born Dec 29, 1721 in Paris. Her parents were the merchant Francois Poisson and Louise-Madeleine de la Motte, although it is believed that her biological father is the rich tax collector Le Normant de Tournehem, Louise's lover. When Francois Poisson was involved in a scandalizing affair of debts and fraud and was obliged to leave the country to avoid imprisonment, Tournehem became her guardian. Early in life, Jeanne came into contact with the intellectual society, visiting Parisian Salons where she was considered well-read and clever for her young age. Coincidentally, 'Reignette', 'Little Queen', became her nickname. Jeanne caught the eye of king Louis XV, le Bien-Aimé, while he was hunting near her family's estate. Interested by her appearance he invited Jeanne in 1745 to a masque ball at Versailles. Afterwards, he began a relationship with her. She was mistress of a king. She was made 'Marquise de Pompadour'.

As the favourite of the king, Madame de Pompadour was the inofficial queen and soon took the lead in matters of fashion. As her star rose at court, she became a fashion trendsetter. Her very Rococo, very detailed and flouncy dresses were captured on canvas by several artists. Madame de Pompadour seemed to like pastel shades and bows very much, both were very fashionable in this age. Whatever she wore was copied and she proved to have an extraordinary taste in dress, art and decoration.
Madame de Pompadour obviously was a very charming woman, attractive both of body and mind. Her beauty had secured her place at the king's side, her intelligence made it last. She managed to make herself pleasing to the queen, she had powerful protectors among politicians and noblemen and she knew how to handle the king. In the year 1752 she was made a duchess. Not longer the bedmate of Louis, she now was his close friend and confidante, diplomatic, played a great role in politics and arts due to networking skills.

upload_2022-5-27_8-52-47.jpeg

Possible Goat and Pig breeding

Robert Bakewell

Robert Bakewell, (1725-1795), agriculturist who revolutionized sheep and cattle breeding in England by methodical selection, inbreeding and culling. Bakewell made his farm famous as a model of scientific management, and many of his methods are still commonly practiced today.
As a young man, Bakewell traveled throughout England and Europe to learn agricultural techniques and then returned to his father’s 178-hectare (440-acre) farm at Dishley to serve as his apprentice. Upon his father’s death in 1760, he inherited the family farm and began to innovate breeding techniques. Unlike his contemporaries, he separated his male and female livestock to prevent random breeding. He developed an “in-and-in” method in which desirable traits were exaggerated by inbreeding and individuals with undesireable traits were culled (removed) from the breeding populations. He also pioneered the large-scale use of letting animals for stud.Bakewell was one of the first farmers to breed both sheep and cattle for meat instead of primarily for wool or work. He developed the Leicestershire longhorn cattle, which were good meat producers but poor suppliers of milk and were later supplanted by the shorthorns bred by his apprentice Charles Colling. Bakewell also developed the Leicester sheep, a barrel-shaped animal that produced long coarse wool and also provided a good yield of high-quality fatty meat, though these sheep eventually lost their popularity because of changes in taste in meat.

John Adam Dagyr
?-1806

Welsh/American shoemaker known as "the father of American shoemaking." Dagyr was the first to operate a shoe shop set up like a factory, with several workers each specializing in one particular task. This approach helped to make higher-quality shoes at a more rapid pace, reducing costs significantly. Previously, shoemakers passed their trade down to children or apprentices, a much less efficient process. Early settlers to this country brought over supplies of strong, serviceable footwear of good bark tanned leather. Each man of John Endicott's company, which settled in Salem in 1628, was one of the best equipped colonial companies with four pair of boots. The new country was rough and even the stoutest shoes quickly wore out on the rocks of its paths and the stone and stubble of its fields. New supplies were had from England on the second arriving ship. But the total supply footwear in the new and growing country soon proved insufficient to the needs of the people and they demanded that shoemakers come from Europe and make shoes for them.
Lynn, first known as Saugus, was named in honor of King's Lynn in Norfolk County, England. Very early the town began to swing toward industrialism. One of the first settlers was a tanner, and his establishment laid the foundation of a related industry that was to make Lynn famous throughout the industrial world. Two highly skilled shoemakers, Philip Kirtland and Edmund Bridges, settled near the tannery in 1635 and began to fashion shoes that compared favorably with those produced elsewhere. By the beginning of the eighteenth century almost every house had its 'back-yard' shop, supplying most of the footgear for Boston. John Adam Dagyr (1750), a Welsh shoemaker, set up a new method of manufacturing setting a high standard of workmanship which lasted for many years after his death.

NO IMAGE AVAILABLE (ugh)

For olives use
Nicolás de Ribera, El Viejo (Olvera, Spain, 1487 – Lima, 1563) was a Spanish conquistador, one of the “Thirteen of Fame”, first mayor of Lima. Lima which would become the capital of Nueva Castilla, the Viceroyalty of Peru and the Republic of Peru. Based upon King Charles I of Spain 1523 proclaimed "Procedures for the creation of cities in the New World" Nicolás with the help of Diego de Agüero, traced the lots and the location of the Plaza Mayor, giving it the shape of a large chessboard. As of the Thirteen of Fame, he was deeded in a land grant in what became later became known as San Isidro district. In 1560, Antonio de Rivera, brought some olive seedlings from Spain, but only a few survived. He planted an olive grove in De Ribera's estate, and over time it flourished, and became known as the Bosque del Olivar. By the 1700s, there were over 2,000 olive trees in the Bosque.

I've been following this thread and just wanted to mention a couple of things:

Nobody seems to have mentioned that kautschuk is translated as rubber in English. Also, I don't want to go into the specifics, but I can 100% guarantee that colonists were not producing canola oil.

So for English I suggest: Rubber (translated from Kautschuk) and revert to Rapeseed oil (instead of Canola oil).

I've been following this thread and just wanted to mention a couple of things:

Nobody seems to have mentioned that kautschuk is translated as rubber in English. Also, I don't want to go into the specifics, but I can 100% guarantee that colonists were not producing canola oil.

So for English I suggest: Rubber (translated from Kautschuk) and revert to Rapeseed oil (instead of Canola oil).

I agree rubber is the right word. Sometimes in English “caoutchouc” is used when the meaning is specifically unvulcanized rubber. It's absorbed into English from French, clearly a homonym for the German word.

Rapeseed is trickier. It goes back to Latin, rapum for turnip, and comes into Middle English, again from the French. It's part of the Norman conquest aristocracy vocabulary. One traditional example is that “cow” is an old English word because that's who raises the cattle, and “beef” is French because that's who gets to eat them.

Alexander Pope writes “The Rape of the Lock” about stealing a hair clipping. At the time rape meant theft, and the virtue that was stolen was the property of the husband or father.

I guess my point is that words have connotations as well as denotations in every language. Meanings and emotional resonance change over time. I appreciate the need to be authentic and immersive but sometimes the impact of a word overwhelms the artistic intent.

That's a factor in why the food industry changed the name. Keeping that name meant farmers had trouble selling the stuff. Canola's been on supermarket shelves here for decades. My cousin grows it. It's a word people know.

Perhaps many of you disagree with me and, if so, of course I'll go along with the consensus. My main concern is that historical purity may make our game less accessible.

Rapeseed is trickier. It goes back to Latin, rapum for turnip, and comes into Middle English, again from the French. It's part of the Norman conquest aristocracy vocabulary. One traditional example is that “cow” is an old English word because that's who raises the cattle, and “beef” is French because that's who gets to eat them.

Alexander Pope writes “The Rape of the Lock” about stealing a hair clipping. At the time rape meant theft, and the virtue that was stolen was the property of the husband or father.

I guess my point is that words have connotations as well as denotations in every language. Meanings and emotional resonance change over time. I appreciate the need to be authentic and immersive but sometimes the impact of a word overwhelms the artistic intent.

That's a factor in why the food industry changed the name. Keeping that name meant farmers had trouble selling the stuff. Canola's been on supermarket shelves here for decades. My cousin grows it. It's a word people know.

Perhaps many of you disagree with me and, if so, of course I'll go along with the consensus. My main concern is that historical purity may make our game less accessible.

I disagree. Sure, we would not go as far as using 16th century english in all games english files, but changing names that were used for centuries because they became unpleasant words is a rather new tendency that smells of "1984" and Newspeek. Censoring the language won´t do a thing to actually prevent or make better anything for actual victims of the crime, especially in something that is so unrelated to it like plant oil. Especially if then people won´t go as far as to actually censor the language the full way and delete the "Therapist" and any other mention of unpleasant things in everything.

Someone who would prefer to rename plants because their names sound similar to a crime would not be touching a game like Colonization in the first place with a 10 foot pole because it contains slavery and "glorifies colonialism" where nowadays it became a shtick to tear down statues of Columbus and anyone involved in colonizing.

Canola is ++ungood.

I agree rubber is the right word. Sometimes in English “caoutchouc” is used when the meaning is specifically unvulcanized rubber. It's absorbed into English from French, clearly a homonym for the German word.

Actually, Canola is not a word most people in the UK would be familiar with. UK supermarket shelves have Rapeseed oil.

The following article was published in the UK in 2012:

The rise of rapeseed oil | Food | The Guardian

"...the Romans probably introduced rapeseed to this country. But its popularity waned until the Middle Ages, when people worked out that it was a good "break" crop to keep weeds down and improve the soil. During the industrial revolution the oil was used to lubricate steam engines, but although people fed the plant to animals for centuries, it was rarely eaten by humans. The old strains were horribly bitter and contained high levels of something called erucic acid, which is toxic, especially for young children. In 1956, the American FDA banned rapeseed from the human food chain altogether.

In the 1970s, farmers developed strains of rapeseed with low and, in the American parlance, "generally recognized as safe" levels of erucic acid. They also found ways to treat it and remove the unpalatable bitterness. Many of these innovations arose in Canada, which has a good climate for growing rapeseed, and in 1978 the splendidly named Western Canadian Oilseed Crushers Association registered a product called "canola", a somewhat Draperish portmanteau of "Canadian Oil, Low Acid".

Doggedly marketed in an environment where traditional fats such as butter were on the wane, canola became very popular in North America. The European Community (as was) offered large subsidies to farmers growing rapeseed through the 1980s. In the UK, where its name rather works against it, commodity rapeseed oil is usually sold as vegetable oil."

So Canola oil is more than just a name change. It is very different to the oil produced centuries ago.

Hello Ray & all modders!

First: WOW! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

For a long time I haven't a look on CIV again... and know - realy great work! I hope you can realize all the ideas!

I am not shure if this is the right place for additional ideas - if not: I'm sorry... :eek:

by the way of ideas - I also have some which maybe could be interesting (I hope, I haven't overseen them):

AGAVE [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave] -> MEZCAL [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mezcal] produced via destillery as additional option to rum and -> PULQUE [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulque] as additional option to beer

also maybe someone need WHISKY by using corn in a destillery??? :love:

LAPACHO [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapacho} -> LAPACHO-TEA (maybe also Coca-Tea by fermentation; additional HEALTH bonus for both?!); Coffe and cacao produced by roasting?!

and what about NUTMEGs?! [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myristica_fragrans] as Indigo eg also is not realy based in America, nutmegs have been one of the most importend spices of colonial time...

CARMINE [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmine // https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal] -> RED COLOR for different things and together with indigo used for NATIONAL-FLAGS & UNIFORMS

CROCODIL-LEATHER by hunter -> luxury stuff for trading & governeurs and others...

by the way: the confectionery (also one of my ideas) is great - I need chocolate :crazyeye:

###

another Idea:

paper-mill -> producing paper from wood as basic for newspapers and so on...

I also have some additional ideas, but they are for other things (

okey... this are my 5 cent...

the Dino

Ok, I have picked up working on branch "Yields" again.
(But my progress will be a bit slow - just a bit here and there.)

This evening after work I have implemented 2 new Founding Fathers for new Yields:
(At the weekend I might be able to do a bit more, but I need to see how it works out.)

Eusebio Francisco Kino: Olives, Olive Oil
Humphrey Gilbert: Rape, Rape Oil

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Here is the next Founding Father in work:
(Still working on the graphic a bit.)

Robert Bakewell
(suggested by @Red velvet :thumbsup:)

I will use him as FF for Sheep breeding and Cattle breeding.
(Pretty strange that so many years nobody noticed that there was no FF for that. :think:)

Attachments

• Robert_Bakewell_image_GIMP.jpg.png
    Robert_Bakewell_image_GIMP.jpg.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 21
W00t! We desperately need more yields to stress the multithreaded job assigner;)
Once I have fully finished the Trade Goods I have implemented now I think I should be happy for a while. :D

I have basically doubled the amount of Yields and Professions of WTP in this release, which should be enough to make economy management pretty challenging. :faint:
(Especially since I want to try to implement actual gamplay into all these different Yields considering Domestic vs. Europe vs. Africa vs. Port Royal.)

But well, who knows, maybe we will actually one day feel that 96 Trade Goods + 10 immaterial Yields is really not enough. :think:
(Thinking that Vanilla had 16 Trade Goods and 4 immaterial Yields only ... well I guess I did not overexagerate, right?)

When I look at the "mightyness" of this screen with all these Trade Goods and then envision all the gameplay I can build with it,
I really cannot imagine going to a "pre-Yields" branch to play it anymore - missing all the potential these new Yields, Professions, ... offer.

This is the base for the economy system of the mod which I want to play in the future - allowing me to build my giant colonial trade empire ! :cowboy:

Last edited:
Personally, I think what you are doing looks incredible.

Is there any logic to the yield placement that I am missing? In the current version it helps that yields derived from others are grouped below eg cigars below tobacco.

Is there any logic to the yield placement that I am missing?
Not yet, other than similar goods being pretty close to each other.
(But I have some ideas how to structure those 3 rows.)

There was a long time when I was not sure with how many Yields and how many rows I would end up with.
But now I am pretty sure that it will stay 3 rows and that I will not add any more Yields (... at least for now).

However I still need to prioritize general implementation of game content first.
(e.g. Founding Fathers, game mechanics of new economy, ...)

In the current version it helps that yields derived from others are grouped below eg cigars below tobacco.
I know, I had spent a lot of effort to get a logical structure in those 2 rows.
I will try to do the same with the new 3 rows - but first this branch needs to be fully playable and balanced.

Last edited:
Humphrey Gilbert: Rape, Rape Oil

You probably saw the discussion I was having with Kendon and ConjurerDragon about rapeseed and canola. Although Rape is not incorrect, it is probably best in English to go with Rapeseed/Rapeseed planter and Rapeseed Oil.

Last edited:
You probably saw the discussion I was having with Kendon and ConjurerDragon about rapeseed and canola. Although Rape is not incorrect, it is probably best in English to go with Rapeseed/Rapeseed planter and Rapeseed Oil.
As I said like 10 times already:
In my development branches I just implement basic texts and will let @Kendon correct my English for the final release.
(Whatever he decides to use for the English texts is fine for me because I know he does a great job with atmospheric English texts.)

So do not get too fuzzy about my wording or my translations because it is just "work in progress". ;)

Last edited:
Now all Livestocks have according FFs. :)

Robert Bakewell: Cattle and Sheep (new in "Yields")
Sir Thomas de La Warr: Chicken and Geese (new in "Yields")
Sir Thomas Gates: Goats and Pigs (new in "Yields")
John August Sutter: Horses (old)

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0003.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    206.1 KB · Views: 16
So ok, now I am completely done with all the Founding Fathers for the new Yields. :bump:

I have added 3 more compared to the posts above and otherwise reused existing FFs.
(I reused FFs which I considered a bit weak and needed a small buff - but of course I also tried to match immersively.)

New FFs:
William Strachey:
Pig Skin, Cattle Hides, Pig Skin Leather, Cattle Hide Leather
Sir John Harvey: Goat Hide Skins, Goat Hide Boots, Padded Leather Coats
James Baker, Dr.: Vanilla Pods, Vanilla, Chocolate

Spoiler :

I have added as well some images below of adjusted ones, but I could not add all in one post - 3 or 4 are missing.
(But you should more or less get an idea how these adjustments worked - they were quite minor.)

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0007.JPG
    390.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG