Brexit Thread VI - The Knockout Phase ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if they just sorted Brexit out people could go back to voting for parties they actually want running the country in the way they would like, rather than the only ones who seem to want to honour the referendum result.

Who'd have thought that the biggest political decision for forty years would be difficult to enact, especially when literally everyone has a different idea on how to go about it or what to expect?

Hey, i am split between wanting Boris to go to jail, and expecting the backlash.

Personally I'm hoping hes convicted, but wins on appeal at the ECHR. He'd hate that. Sadly it would probably take years (Yes, I know the ECHR isn't part of the EU but the Brexiteers still hate it).

(Yes, I know the ECHR isn't part of the EU but the Brexiteers still hate it).

Well, of course. The likes of Rees-Mogg, Mordaunt and Raab want a race to the bottom for trade and employment regulations (amongst others) and pesky things such as human rights just get in the way,

Personally I'm hoping hes convicted, but wins on appeal at the ECHR. He'd hate that. Sadly it would probably take years (Yes, I know the ECHR isn't part of the EU but the Brexiteers still hate it).

Well, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Recall how the ECJ supposedly also was independent of the Eu ^_^
I see no reason to think that the ECHR would be political if the case is not really having much to do with the Eu's future itself. But if it does, i wouldn't expect them to be very different from the ECJ.

Such courts do better when the verdict doesn't tie to the governments that stand to gain or lose by it. Another example is how the Hague (the court, not the William) handled the Milosevic trial.

TBF, though, there isn't going to be a normal (or as normal as it was) british politics situation unless the brexit issue is concluded one way or another...

Last edited by a moderator:
TBF, though, there isn't going to be a normal (or as normal as it was) british politics situation unless the brexit issue is concluded one way or another...

Assuming FPTP does not disappear anytime soon.
Asuming that somehow the Brexit issue is history

How about long term future British politics to be between the two big opposing parties the LibDems and Labour ?

And if that would be a true nightmare for the Tories...
How about that the only way the Tories can escape is by holding a referendum before any elections....

Assuming FPTP does not disappear anytime soon.
Asuming that somehow the Brexit issue is history

How about long term future British politics to be between the two big opposing parties the LibDems and Labour ?

The liberal democrats will never be a major party. This is Britain - they are about as stuck to past traits/"tradition" as you can get. It is a country where the royal family is even popular with a part of the working class.
After brexit is decided upon (in whatever way) the libdems will be back to their usual numbers.

The liberal democrats will never be a major party. This is Britain - they are about as stuck to past traits/"tradition" as you can get. It is a country where the royal family is even popular with a part of the working class.
After brexit is decided upon (in whatever way) the libdems will be back to their usual numbers.

The Tories behave very un-British at the moment.
The aura of them being winners is shattered, and people do like to vote for winners. For now that is Farage and the LibDems eating away voters from them.
The longer the Tories are in limbo, formally in charge of government for 3 years to go.. and facing another 3 years in limbo, not able to govern anything but "caretaking"... the longer they get damaged.
There is no Brexit way forward that will really help them:
* some deal and they are under attack of Farage and with Revoke it will be hell.
* a clean no-deal and then no Parliament majority to govern... Labour and the LibDems will demolish them.
Both no perspective at all... but postponing the inevitable is damaging as well.

Who'd have thought that the biggest political decision for forty years would be difficult to enact, especially when literally everyone has a different idea on how to go about it or what to expect?

There's "difficult to enact" and then there's "committed to remain".

I don't think the Tories would accept the LD are more traditionalist than them.

There's "difficult to enact" and then there's "committed to remain".

Well, opposition parties are hardly required to help implement Government policies and, as the Prime Minister pointed out on more than one occasion, if hard-line Brexiters had actually voted for the Withdrawal Agreement, we'd have left the EU by now.

I don't think the Tories would accept the LD are more traditionalist than them.

I meant that Britain itself is very traditionalist ;)
LibDem were usually a hipster party (at least for the last 10 years or so)

The aura of them being winners is shattered, and people do like to vote for winners. For now that is Farage and the LibDems eating away voters from them.
The longer the Tories are in limbo, formally in charge of government for 3 years to go.. and facing another 3 years in limbo, not able to govern anything but "caretaking"... the longer they get damaged.
* some deal and they are under attack of Farage and with Revoke it will be hell.
* a clean no-deal and then no Parliament majority to govern... Labour and the LibDems will demolish them.
Both no perspective at all... but postponing the inevitable is damaging as well.

Farage's party isn't likely to stick around either, after brexit is concluded.

Farage's party isn't likely to stick around either, after brexit is concluded.

True. Tories would be more concerned about losing support to the LD than to Farage's party, those can be gone for good. And I'm saying would because so many are moving there that there is a real chance the party will close shop, those who would worry are doing it!

This means that the Brexit Party is not likely to scare the current government into moving on with brexit. Odds are the next tory PM will be another May. More delaying tactics, the situation will continue to deteriorate.... I'm putting the odds of a PM Farage higher than a PM Boris, really. Some gray figure gets put up for PM now, and there will be hell to pay in the next general election.

You seriously think that Farage's latest lot will get enough seats to form a stable government??

True. Tories would be more concerned about losing support to the LD than to Farage's party, those can be gone for good. And I'm saying would because so many are moving there that there is a real chance the party will close shop, those who would worry are doing it!

This means that the Brexit Party is not likely to scare the current government into moving on with brexit. Odds are the next tory PM will be another May. More delaying tactics, the situation will continue to deteriorate.... I'm putting the odds of a PM Farage higher than a PM Boris, really. Some gray figure gets put up for PM now, and there will be hell to pay in the next general election.
There are enough brexit tory MP's to get a hard brexiteer to the final 2, and then the tory membership get to choose. There is every chance the next PM will be closer to Farage than May.

There are enough brexit tory MP's to get a hard brexiteer to the final 2, and then the tory membership get to choose. There is every chance the next PM will be closer to Farage than May.

I'm not so sure. I don't bet, but if I did I might bet on Rory Stewart cast in the role of "outsider", but really playing the role May did. I just don't know how big is the push behind him, but I won't underestimate these things. Macron got pushed in France didn't he, a banker of all things in these times of neoliberal failure and unpopularity.

If he's pushed successfully you're up for one year of more of the same.

Well I don't regard "no deal is better than a bad deal" as inherently a threat, it is a to me a default position,
although no doubt it is possible to say it in a threatening way; otherwise I agree with your comment.
Well, this is part of how The conservative leadership has been running the country. They have been tryign to appease,a t the same time, too many interests that conflict with each other to the point of being mutually exclusive.
Taking back control but somehow making a deal i.e. accepting conditions, being nationalistic but opening the country up, helping business but at the same time helping the workers exploited but the same business, leaving the EU but not really, etc. etc. etc.
You cannot lie to everyone all the time.
Why un-British? Maybe they are doing it with less panache than they usually do, but Britain blundering through history is not much more than usual. Take the Afghan Wars, among many others, as an example.
You seriously think that Farage's latest lot will get enough seats to form a stable* government??
*strong and

What is that Raab (spelling?) guy supposed to be about?

Raab wants to privatise schools, is the one who hadn't realised Dover was so important to our trade (whilst Brexit secretary no less!) and has claimed that he would bypass Parliament in crashing out with no deal. At the moment, he presents an even greater danger to the Tories and to the UK than Boris does.

You seriously think that Farage's latest lot will get enough seats to form a stable government??

They don' need to form a stable government to get what they want.

I agree that the tory membership will probably choose a hard brexiteer. I'm just not sure they will be given the choice.

Raab wants to privatise schools, is the one who hadn't realised Dover was so important to our trade (whilst Brexit secretary no less!) and has claimed that he would bypass Parliament in crashing out with no deal. At the moment, he presents an even greater danger to the Tories and to the UK than Boris does.

Any shortlist of the possible tory leaders?

Is it just:
Boris, (Gove?), Leadsom, Raab, Hammond and that Tony Blair-like lifestyle politician who iirc was foreign minister at some point?
Don't tell me that Rudd is electable; she barely got re-elected as an mp.
Also, is David Davis dead now? I thought he was supposed to be popular with tories as a next leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom