[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Canada here is very close to parody.

At least you don't have Tim Horton's as your unique building. :D

Again I am seeing some power creep in the ice hockey rink being so much more powerful than the golf course. Scotland still has more useful science and production that I like though.

Ugh. No offense to any of our Canuck friends, however first impression is a boring, reductionist design, and an unnecessary Civ.

As a Canadian, I feel the same way. I'd much rather they not have included Canada in the game than include it like this.

it feels like this is a by the numbers fan service civ rather than one that occupies an interesting game design niche.

What fan service? This civ isn't designed to appeal to Canadians. A civ that would have appealed to Canadians would also have emphasized one or two things from our history that might have caused other players to say "Hey! Cool. I didn't know that about Canada."

using Canada's official anthem for its theme

Even the music department let us down. There were a dozen better ideas for the Canadian music theme on the O Canada thread.

It feels like they didn't really want to add Canada to the game, but someone told them they should, so they went for the most cliché options as uniques in protest.

You may be on to something here. At the very least, it looks like they decided not to spend any time on designing the Canadian civ. In the allocation of resources, I dare say they realized they needed to spend a lot of time making Canals work, trying to balance the Maori uniques, etc. So they cut corners and did the least possible with Canada.

Anyway, not every civ design is going to work. I'm just disappointed that Canada's first appearance in Civ looks like this, when it could have been so much more interesting. It will have a niche amongst players who find Deity difficult or don't want to deal with warfare.

Ok, this guy is old-dude hot. Then I looked at google images online and his younger pictures are VERY hot. Can Canada have an ability called "hot leaders"?!

I notice that. I mean, look at the current PM, and his father. :dunno:

What am really mad about is that they show the background of the civ's leader background as the teaser.:nono:

:rotfl:

France is way more stereotypical than Canada, actually. "zomg crafty evil french hogging all the culture" like that's not even how France *functioned*, at all. Or Spain being built around the Inquisition. OR GILGABRO???

I must say though, I find Canada's bonuses to just be so impressively lame to the point it circles back to downright hilarious. TUNDRA FARMS <3 NO SUPRISE WARS <3 MOUNTIES THAT MAKE NATIONAL PARKS <3 BEING BASED AROUND EMERGENCIES <3 Like... about half of these are barely even count as bonuses. <33333 The only outright good thing about them is the Ice Hockey Rink, which is a Golf Course on freakin' acid and that's probably going to yield them several sneaky culture victories, but otherwise.

As I’ve already said... they are hilarious.

The whole thing is hilarious. Having Canada in the game is hilarious. Having all the Canadian cliches is hilarious. Having Mounties as military units - with guns !?! - is hilarious. You can’t surprise war, they can’t surprise war is hilarious (I mean, fine, Canadians are lovely that don’t declare surprise war ... but why can’t anyone surprise war them? Er, does everyone else get extra movement when they surprise war Persia?) Ice Rinks - hilarious. Ice Rinks pumping out a gagillion culture is hilarious.

These guys are just... hilarious.

The only way this could get funnier is if they turned out to be another Civ that was better at Naval combat than England, Norway and Spain. ... Are we sure Mounties aren’t also Naval Units?

And yeah. France is cliche too. But Canada here is some serious Rocky and Bullwinkle Due South Maple Syrup level cliche hilarity.

Last edited:
After the last two this looks a very pedestrian civ design, not to mention one filled with the very stereotypes people seemed to be hoping it would avoid - ice hockey or mounties I could see as reasonable, especially mounties, but both seems to signal a lack of imagination. Though it's a great aesthetic touch that the Canadian Builder is a lumberjack.

The only thing that seems especially strong is the ability for a standard manufactured unit to create National Parks, completely circumventing the huge faith requirement - but most maps don't offer the opportunity to create very many NPs. The rest of the civ's focus on making bad tiles slightly less bad seems pretty mediocre, doesn't make any use of any of the expansion's mechanics, and makes them look underwhelming overall. I expect that even with the tundra bonuses you'll mostly want to expand away from tundra anyway.

Canada seems to be a showcase for why the fan-touted idea of an Inuit civ is just a bad idea - other people don't want these tiles for a reason and designing an entire civ around getting normal production out of a bad start is almost equivalent to having a civ with a normal start bias and no Civ abilities.

As I’ve already said... they are hilarious.

The whole thing is hilarious. Having Canada in the game is hilarious. Having all the Canadian cliches is hilarious. Having Mounties as military units - with guns !?! - is hilarious. You can’t surprise war, they can’t surprise war is hilarious (I mean, fine, Canadians are lovely that don’t declare surprise war ... but why can’t anyone surprise war them?

Pretty sure the only reason 'they can't surprise war' is in the design is because the designers couldn't find a way to represent "They can surprise war, but only if they say sorry".

I for one think this civ looks great. Haters gonna hate.
I'd love to agree with you, but can you elaborate on what you think looks great? I'm going to make a point to try and use them for diplomatic / cultural victories, but apart from going outside my wheelhouse, I don't know what they bring to the table.

So I think, from left to right, this is: Seaport, Hydroelectric Dam, Oil Power plant, Submarine and some industrial/modern era wonder with smokestacks.
that's not a wonder, that's a city project. I.E. one of the new engineering projects.
Remember: City projects also have that star-like background (like nukes and space race projects)

I'll also add that I'm a little concerned this is their answer to civs attacking city-states - "We'll give you a civ that doesn't!".

Australia (whose agenda is pro city liberation) should not be attacking city states. Poundmaker (whose agenda is pro-alliance) should not be attacking city states. Pericles (who gains from cs suzerainship) should not be attacking city states. Friggin Gandhi should not be attacking city states.

that's not a wonder, that's a city project. I.E. one of the new engineering projects.
Remember: City projects also have that star-like background (like nukes and space race projects)

That does make sense since wonders icons typically have a tiny model of the whole wonder in color and not a tiny portion in grayscale. And there should be a project to change the power plant to oil.

Top Bottom