CFC Family Histories

Not easy to find much info on family lines here due to many people (including myself) being descended in great part from Greeks in the coast of Asia Minor, or eastern Thrace/Constantinople, Pontic, etc. At least two of my grandparents are from there, one from the Smyrna area. Another grandparent apparently was local (Thessalonike).
Don't know about the fourth, cause he died when he was 30, from untreated appendicitis (i think it happened in the end of the WW2 occupation, or during the civil war). His untimely death sealed the rather twisted fate of my father, an infant at the time.

Not as much as you might think! Germans made up something like 5% of the population of the Southern back-country in the 18th century, they just tended to Anglicise their names over time, so it doesn't always show up very clearly in later records. An 18th century date would be about right; German immigrants post-1790 tended to head straight through to the Northwest and tended to retain their surnames more clearly.

Interesting. We don't spell it with an ß anymore, so I suppose it has been Anglicized. I did find one site that traced us back to medieval France, claiming our name was once "LeGros" before they went Huguenot and fled from the Catholics to Germany, changing it to "Groß." But that website claimed Simon Gross was born in 1711 Philadelphia, whereas I have a passenger bill that claims he arrived from Germany in 1741. Apparently he was born in Baden, but I can't find any primary sources for that. If I had the money I'd pay for one of those genealogy sites and get digging in earnest. Hopefully I'd find something of substance, rather than just birth and death records.

Not really sure about my Mom's side, aside from that they are pretty dang Catholic.

Great great granddad was a preacher who came from Ireland on my Dad's side. My grandmothers relatives on Dad's side are all Mennonites from Iowa.

Mom's side of the family left Ireland and settled on the coast of Canada's Maritimes back in the Famine days. Eventually some of them ended up in the US. Family tradition is that Sen Joe McCarthy was a cousin of my grandmother. Dad's side of the family has been in Maine for a couple centuries now. Some officer from the War of 1812 settled there, and the family has been there ever since.

What a nice thread.

Both sides of my family have a long history in North America.

Father's side: French and Irish. My grandfather's family moved from France (Nantes) to Canada in the early 1700s. When the British took Canada at the end of the French and Indian War, they moved to Louisiana and ended up in Thibodeaux LA. I have a very complete family tree on his family going back to the early 1700s. In 1910 he (my grandfather) completed college and moved to where the sugar cane action was: Hawaii. He ran a sugar plantation on the Big Island until 1940. He married an Irish woman who had moved to Hawaii from Arizona to look for secretarial work. She raised their three kids and was the first person to sell chocolate covered macadamia nuts to tourists in the late 1940s. My grandfather was developing the one of the first macadamia nut farms on the island. Their middle child was my father who became an ophthalmologist at Johns Hopkins in Baltimore, where I was born. My father was in WW2 and served as a doctor on an LST off Normandy on D-Day.

Mother's side: English and Scottish. My mother's father's family arrived in Virginia in the early 1600s and worked their way west over the years until my grandfather was born in Illinois in the late 1800s. He served as a medical officer in both wars. He was a general surgeon in Chicago for all of his adult life. Among other things, he bequeathed us home movies of Cubs games from the 1930s taken from his first base seats. He married his Scottish bride and they had 4 kids; my mom was the first. My grandmother was a Guthrie with roots in the MacGregor clan. My mom earned a Masters degree, but never worked.

My dad died at 54 in 1972; my mom is going strong at 97 with her second husband who just turned 98.

It's pretty nice hearing all of these. Interesting seeing how we all ended up and how some of our past histories may have influenced the way posters here think.

To expand on my earlier comment, I know very, very vaguely that on my mother's side, my maternal grandfather's family migrated from north to central Vietnam several centuries back. Though never stated outright I'm pretty certain they were landowners. My grandfather was the fifth of twenty children, and worked in his (older?) brother's company (I think it had to do with oil) while still in Vietnam. He seems to have had some training in art/literature and was an amateur poet. I don't know much about the rest of his family, but they do appear to be a very huge clan, and a lot of them for some reason have this eerily similar, stereotypical Korean look. There are apparently relatives in Germany, Canada, Australia, Britain, France. My mom said I have some cute cousins in France but I never met them. Anyways, the clan is so big that according to my dad there were little kids who were my mother's granduncles (in hierarchical terms).

My maternal grandmother's story is a bit more interesting - her father was a Western-educated doctor, but died from typhoid in his 40s (I think... something). Since my grandmother was the most tomboyish of her three sisters, she was forced to drop out from school at age 14 and become the "man" of the house, doing handyman sort of things and working. Somehow she ended up going into a foreign exchange student program and attended the University of Michigan in the 50s, and later became principal of an international school. When she fled here she worked for IMF (I think). My grandma's oldest sister married the guy who would become the last South Vietnamese ambassador to America, incidentally, which leads me to believe that my gradmother's side must've been high up enough in society somehow. Either that or my grandaunt was really hot when she was around my age. :dunno:

My maternal grandmother I don't know a lot about. I'm assuming they were a traditional upper-middle class family. I know two of her sisters married the same guy.

My paternal grandfather came from an old landowning, scholar-gentry family in north Vietnam. Strangely, most people with my surname tend to be Chinese migrants from the 19th century at earliest, but according to my father the earliest records of that side of the family he is aware of comes from the 17th century, when a father-son pair in the family were highly esteemed mandarins. I don't think it's improbable that my direct patrilineal line may have had Chinese origins, however - political refugees running from various conflicts in China was common enough - but there's nothing to prove or disprove it at this point.

My great-grandfather, at any point, did the good ol' polygamy thing and had up to four wives (apparently he could've had more wives since he was a charming (and rich) fellow but he didn't want to deal with it). My grandfather was the eldest child of the fourth wife, which meant he was very low in the family hierarchy. He went through the famines that followed the Japanese occupation, and apparently though our family was supposedly upper-class landowners we had barely enough food for ourselves during that time. Anyways, he graduated with a degree in literature, and from what vague information I know had some sort of government job involving rice distribution in the 50s, and he was known for his generosity and virtue. Eventually, he ended up with a very high rank in the South Vietnamese government - something akin to the spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Oddly, he and the family were not particularly financially well-off and lived relatively humbly for someone of high rank - I suspect this might be because my grandfather had to single-handedly support himself and ~20 other family members, including his children, siblings and their families, some random cousins, and my grandmother's relatives. A story my dad always told me was when he was little, there was a time when they could only afford to buy one egg a month that was shared among everyone living with my grandfather. Though that may or may not have been exaggeration, the fact that a relatively high ranking member of the government was living on scraps is very indicative of the problems South Vietnam had at the time. Additionally, I guess while he was pretty high ranking he wasn't the cream of the crop, ie the people like the Prime Minister who probably actually had a lot of the wealth. Ultimately upper-middle class at this point, from what I gather.

Anyways, in 1970 my grandfather was later moved to a different post, as spokesperson and/or chief advisor to the South Vietnamese ambassador to Japan, which meant that he, along with most of the 15-20 or so relatives living with him, moved to Japan (except my oldest uncle, who joined the South Vietnamese army and became an officer). I suspect this was either a demotion due to the regime changes and political instability, and/or my grandfather was seeing the writing on the wall and wanted to get the family out of South Vietnam ASAP. If it was the latter, his decision was certainly wise - he was able to get pretty much all of the family from Japan to America in several stages, which is how my dad ended up in the States a few years before the first wave of Vietnamese refugees came.

My grandfather obviously could not return to Vietnam once it was certain the communists would win, since as a high ranking government official, and one who was descended from upper-class landowners, they wouldn't give him an easy time. So he fled in ~'75 with the remaining parts of the family to America. He seems to have suffered from some sort of depression for a number of years, according to my dad, often getting drunk on beer and getting really sad about my oldest uncle who was imprisoned by the communists (my grandfather and my oldest uncle apparently had some sort of falling out, though they appear to have later reconciled once my uncle escaped to America). Anyways, he appears to have gotten back on his feet by the time I was born and when he died he was considered a well-respected member of the diaspora community here in the states.

Anyways, all that aside, pretty much almost everyone on my paternal side that I know of has worked in the government at some point of their lives (if you include military, teaching, etc. as government). Also, I think my grandfather, thanks to his position, had a rather different perspective on the war and the world in general compared to a lot of Vietnamese refugees - even other 1st wave refugees that tended to be more well-educated and "Western" than later waves - which explained why even though he voted Republican like a lot of Vietnamese because they were seen as the ones fighting the commies, he hated their guts. He thought Bush Jr. was the most terrible President of his lifetime, and he still voted for him. He seems to have passed this onto his children, at any rate, which is why we're mainly center-left/liberal, really atypical for older Vietnamese. Heck, my dad occasionally is borderline far-left sometimes (by American standards). Though, of course, we all still prefer S. Vietnam to the commies if we were given the choice.

tl;dr: Upper-class/upper-middle class Vietnamese bureaucrats turned upper-middle/middle class Asian-Americans bureaucrats.

american rednecks and hillbillies

actually not quite, I believe it was my paternal great great grandfather (4 generation ago; maybe 5) that went from France through Louisiana/New Orleans.

maternal side some generic mix of English/German heritage that wound its way to middle-eastern U.S.

Some of my relatives have drawn up some pretty thorough pedigrees, but I don't remember most of the details.

On my mother's father's side we were mostly Northern English peasants, but there were some a few gentry among them. They can trade our descent to individuals who fought on both sides of the Battle of Hastings, but not to any great lords. The first of them to come to America were colonists who settled in Virginia in 1588. Some fought in the American Revolution and were at Valley Forge under George Washington. After the war they got land grants in what is now Alabama. They often moved back and forth between Georgia and Alabama, but didn't move around much in other states. They had plantations and some slaves for a time, but lost them before the Civil War. They had so many children that their lands were soon divided into small family farms. I think there were even a few radical abolitionists among them, but they were still very much Southerners who supported the right of the states to secede even though they did not think it was a good idea.

My mother's mother's family was of mostly German ancestry. They kept their Plantation and slaves longer. They lived in one of the Northern Alabama counties which chose to succeed from the state of Alabama in order to remain loyal to the Union instead of the Confederacy. If I recall correctly though, the patriarch of the family at the time served as an army surgeon for the Confederacy nonetheless. His wife was supposedly a "Cherokee Princess," and had a reputation of being a cruel woman.

My maternal grandmother got pregnant out of wedlock and had a shotgun wedding. Her husband ran away and abandoned her before my aunt was born though. My grandfather fell in love with her and crossed half the country to track him down, demanding that he either return to take responsibility for his wife and daughter or (preferably) sign the papers to divorce her and give up any parental rights so that he could marry her and adopt my aunt. He chose the latter. (My grandfather always showed favoritism towards his adopted daughter over their 5 biological children, perhaps because he thought my grandmother was out of his league and would never had married him if she did not need a provider for her little girl.)

My grandfather was a very large and strong man, but due to a vision problem was not eligible for military service during World War II. He worked for the Post Office instead, until the White Feather Campaign shamed him into spending all his savings on eye surgery so he could enlist. He was sent to serve in North Africa and Italy as a Military Police officer. He fought in a couple battles against Mussolini's troops, but mostly just broke up fights between drunk and disorderly soldiers on his own side. (He was the 4th of 10 children, but basically became the head of the family when his father died. The oldest brother was a weak and not well functioning functioning alcoholic. The second son was a fighter pilot who was shot down by the Japanese and presumed dead, but actually managed to survive alone on a small uncharted island in the Pacific for a couple years before being rescued. He was never really he same after that.) He returned after the war, got a business degree on the GI Bill, and continued a career at the Post Office. He was at various times a local post master general and the head of the postal worker's union. He was simultaneously employed by the Pinkertons, which makes me suspect that his union involvement was mostly meant to undermine the union. He served briefly as the chauffeur to Martin Luther King Junior, actually hired to dig up dirt with which to blackmail him. He did not find anything incriminating though, and respected MLK enough that he both quit the job and warned MLK about others working to undermine him. When Vice President Hubert Humphries visited him and wanted a photo op with the union leaders, he refused the VP's hand a tried to run away; the secret service took this as a threat, and it took four of them to tackle him to the ground. (That side of the family have been Republicans all the way back to the Reconstruction Era, even when the Klan made that a dangerous choice.) This grand father was a very religious man, a deacon in his Southern Baptist Church and a founder of a ministry which focused on evangelizing in prisons and homeless shelters. He supposedly led well over 100k to Christ personally, and his organization close to half a million. (I'm really not a fan of his fire and brimstone tactics though, and doubt the value of such fear based conversions.)

Both of my father's parents are descended from the same officer in the Continental Army during the American Revolution, who was a first cousin of Francis Scott Key (the author of the poem that became the US national anthem).

My father's father's side was mostly Norman gentry. Our surname may indicate that we came from a certain town in Cornwall, or possibly in Brittany. The first in the direct paternal line to come to America did so shortly after being knighted by King George I. His descendants intermarried with the families of several royal governors (most notably that of Lord Baltimore, the Proprietary Governor of Maryland) and were generally very loyal to the Crown. The American Revolution made it dangerous for them to remain on this continent, so they moved back to England for a couple generations. This line of the family returned to the US in around 1840, when former captain of a merchant ship decided to settle down and start a plantation in the middle of Georgia. (A town built up around his homestead and continues to bear our family name. He introduced a popular cultivar of watermelon to the US, and is still celebrated for it in an annual festival in that town. I still have some relatives in that area, and part of his plantation remains as my second cousin's family farm.) I believe that his son also served as a Confederate Army Surgeon.

My father's mother's family was also mostly of German ancestry. They were the wealthiest branch (root?) of my family at the time of the Civil War. We know the most about the Confederate Army Surgeon in that part of the family, as we still have a copy of the diary he kept from the years 1663 to 1668. He was younger than me at the time, but owned two plantations in Alabama (one near Selma and the other near Mobile) and about 350 slaves. He chose to spend the first half of the war in the North, completing medical school at the University of Pennsylvania. He then came home and promptly got married and fathered my great grandfather, which excused him from military service for another year. When he finally joined the Confederate Army he was commissioned at a medical officer at a fort close enough to one of his homes that he could still spend every night there with his family. (He also had plenty of time to spend at his Freemason Lodge, where he rose quickly through the ranks.) During the last few months of the war he was transferred to the Army of the Tennessee under General Joseph E. Johnston.

(The journals never acknowledge that the war ended. The closest it comes is expressing thanks that his commanders let him take a horse a sidearm home with him, and complaining about how former slaves are wandering the countryside in search of lost relatives rather than doing any useful work. The day that Lee surrendered to Grant is the only date which he notes was completely uneventful. On the day of Lincoln's assassination he goes on for several pages about how technology has changed warfare, and muses that in a hundred years time he expects armies to be completely replaced by flying machines and missiles that can level cities from thousands of miles away.)

My paternal grandfather was a very mild mannered and intelligent man. He started school late but was allowed to skip some grades, and managed to finish all his college work before his 19th birthday. (His birthday fell between his final final exam and his graduation ceremony.) His degree was in what we would now call industrial engineering at the school now called Auburn University. His first job out of college was teaching math at a local high school, the school from which my grandmother had just graduated a few months before. Hearing of a new attractive young teacher (only 4 months older than her), she returned to her alma mater and pretended to still be a student in order to sit in on his class for several weeks. After refusing to take the midterm, she revealed her true purpose and perused him relentlessly. Shortly after her father died, she got pregnant and he married her. (That might not have been the best move for him, as she was really abusive and would beat him whenever he tried to stop her from whipping their children.) He was a Captain in World War II, working for the Army Air Corps in a logistical support capacity. He was responsible for the construction and operation of airfields in North Africa. (His little brother was a fighter pilot who flew missions out of those same airfields.) He never saw combat, but did once witness five of his friends die when their jeep hit a landmine. (He was supposed to be in that jeep, but was running late so they left without him.) After the war, he worked for decades as a purchasing manager for a major department store before retiring.

My father got a football scholarship to a military college, but decided after the first quarter that he did not have a chance as a professional athlete and would rather quit the sport to focus on academics at a more affordable school (where he could live with his parents for free and get a summer job that paid more than the tuition and fees). He graduated with a bachelors degree in accounting from Georgia State University, and became a CPA at the youngest possible age. He worked for a few banks for a time, and consulted (not on the programing side) in the design of some of the first tax software. Before selling it to get the funds to purchase his ownership share in his accounting firm, he also ran a side business breeding Arabian show horses. He had two sons with his first wife, before their marriage fell apart mostly due to his heavy drinking. After she remarried (to a Methodist minister), he became a born again christian a Teetotaler.

My mother started a degree in early childhood education, but had a serious health scare during her junior year which made her loose her work scholarship so she had to drop out before finishing the degree. She ended up working for the phone company until she got pregnant with my sister, and thenceforth being a stay at home mom.

My father's younger brother married by mother's older sister (the one who was actually a half-sister) when my mother was 13 years old. My father was 27 and recently married. They first saw each other at the wedding but did not interact or think much of it. My mother did make friends with his wife there though. My parents did not take any interest in each other until she was 27, when her car broke down at their siblings' Christmas party and he gave her a ride home.

Having said all I said about not really knowing much of my family history, family members currently are known to reside in parts of: Belarus, all throughout Poland, near Dortmund Germany, in/near London England, New Jersey, Cleveland, Mississauga (Toronto "suburb"), Ottawa, and London Ont. Canada.

Those are the ones we know about. Like I said there are people with our last name living in Chicago and Toronto - but we don't know who they are. Most of the other relatives we know about (the locations I just listed) do not share our family name.

I don't know anything else about my family history. On my dad's side I might be able to find out more. On my mum's side there will be problems, as her father is unknown. A couple of years ago she did try to find out about him, but that went nowhere.

When you say you don't know anything else about your family history, what have you told us so far?

What does your father do for a living, for example? And did you never meet any of your grandparents?

And what about these religious fundamentalists you're involved with? Are they Plymouth Brethren? And why?

Still, ignore me if you prefer. I don't mind.

When you say you don't know anything else about your family history, what have you told us so far?

What does your father do for a living, for example? And did you never meet any of your grandparents?

And what about these religious fundamentalists you're involved with? Are they Plymouth Brethren? And why?

Still, ignore me if you prefer. I don't mind.

What I've said so far is what's quoted in the first post.

My dad is retired. I've met my granddad on my dad's side many years ago. He died back in I think 1996. I've met my grandmother on my mum's side a couple of times in the years, she died a some years ago. Her relationship with my mum was bad.

For the group I'm involved with, I know more about their family history than mine, as it's something they often tell me. One fact I think they've said once is that they claim descent from Charles Dickens.

What I've said so far is what's quoted in the first post.
Oh, right. Sorry about that. I've had a busy day, and I'm plainly losing it.

No idea about my grandfathers.
My paternal grandmother couldn't tell us too much, because she was deaf. Which makes it a wonder that I'm here, because she went deaf before WW II.
My maternal grandmother was born shortly before WW II, but only once told something about dead bodies while on the way to school, and nothing about the family going further back.
My grandmother's 3rd husband was at the eastern front with the cavalry, but he never talked about the war, only about how they fled home at the end. Was a firm socialist voter though.
One of my grand-grandfathers was selected for breeding by the Nazis, my mother still has the documents somewhere.

And that's all about it.
Don't feel the need to do any further research :dunno:.

Both my mom's parents came over from Germany, dirt poor, ended up with a hotel in Lake Elsinore, California. Family legend says her father is a descendant of the Hapsburgs, but I don't believe it. She later went to UCLA when it was still weird for women to attend college.

My dad's relatives came from all over, mainly English, some German, and a dab of Lakota and Cherokee. One great-whatever-grandfather was a prisoner-of-war in Andersonville during the American Civil War and survived. My favorite ancestor is Parson Weems, who made up the story about George Washington and the Cherry Tree. You have to respect a parson who'd become famous for telling a lie about telling the truth. :crazyeye:

Both my mom's parents came over from Germany, dirt poor, ended up with a hotel in Lake Elsinore, California. Family legend says her father is a descendant of the Hapsburgs, but I don't believe it. She later went to UCLA when it was still weird for women to attend college.

She probably is somewhere down the line. If you're of German origin and you go far enough back everybody is related to everybody. It's just a question of how meaningful is it saying you're related to Charlemagne or the Habsburgs when you're talking, say 10th or 11th cousins.

One of my grand-grandfathers was selected for breeding by the Nazis, my mother still has the documents somewhere.

What does it actually mean? What can be possibly written in that document? :eek:

Top Bottom