Challenge: A Billion of People!

In my Dutch game I conquered Germany from the off, needed a production base to pump out gold while I colonised the world. Even though I stuck to traditional areas like South Africa, Australia and South America my Expansion stability stayed around -200<-300, all I can say is constantly golden age until you have spare cities to liberate. The fact you cannot collapse saved my bacon, although cities can still declare independence during a golden age it only happened to my new empty one-island cities. Again, thank God for dikes!

As England, my approach to ecomony was to spawn a Great Spy and steal the entire French treasury ASAP. My first Great Person was indeed a Spy and infiltrating Paris I was able to steal a total of just over 7000g over a total of four missions (at -50% discount). That, coupled with Spinal Minaret and lots of Christian Temples and Monasteries has enabled me to run at 100% Science for the entire game so far. Currently in around 1650AD I already have Infantry (Assembly Line) and the important one for this challenge - Biology.

So it seems that
1. Larger cities (>size 30) account for much more population than the number would indicate (compared to usual city size like 20)
3. You need a lot of them (15+)

This is the key point actually. There's no value to be gained in cramping cities, a couple of bigger (size 30+) cities result in much larger population points than a bunch of size 20-ish cities.

Very lucky in this game. Tech: Animal husbandary - writing - (popped masonry!) wheel - math - GS bulb alphabet ->trade with others... -> Oracle bulb construction -> Calendar -> aesthetics - literature - (GE bulb part of metal casting) -> currency ->theology - code of laws - (popped compass!) -> CS and Divine Right(turn 181) ->paper -> philosophy -> machinary -> education -> printing press -> constitution -> (vassalize Germany and trade for feudalism) -> gunpowder -> optics -> astronomy ......

City founding order: Beijing(1E) - Pyongyang -> Hangzhou -> Bang Makok (for stone and ivory) -> Hanoi -> conquer Kyouto and Edo -> Guangzhou -> Luoyang. And look, which is my tenth city?!

Built every wonder except stonehenge, pyramids, statue of Zeus.

By the way, Daqin is what Chinese in about Han dynasty called Rome as a country, not Roma's city name.

IMO Best city is France on the Uranium, with a full BFC I got it to hit 42 (IIRC that's 150 Million!)

This challenge is sick. The most important tech in end game is FASCISM.

It could be earlier 3-4 turns, for Rome respawned, and my vassal Germans captured it before me.

I founded 4 religions and delayed scientific method (liberalism for assembly line). Will it be quicker if I research medicine line first? Also, I switched to environmentalism after Cristo Redentor, and that's like 30 turns later.

Maybe we need Sushi first, not industry.

This challenge is sick. The most important tech in end game is FASCISM.

It could be earlier 3-4 turns, for Rome respawned, and my vassal Germans captured it before me.

I founded 4 religions and delayed scientific method (liberalism for assembly line). Will it be quicker if I research medicine line first? Also, I switched to environmentalism after Cristo Redentor, and that's like 30 turns later.

Maybe we need Sushi first, not industry.

By the way, the civics are: Police State-Nationhood-Emancipation-Environmentalism-Free religion - Occupation.

One more picture of Mediterranean area.

Same year as Youtien!

I won Domination victory in about 1812, but interestingly by 1823 I was just under the area threshold for Domination again.

Founded Durban as first colony for the Gold happiness and also to make early contact with Mali (Divine Right = Spinal Minaret).

Key strategy was to steal lots of :gold: from France, and later Mali to support 100% Science economy with much more than 10 cities. First Great Person was a Great Spy, the infiltration of which into France allowed for 4 espionage missions to steal a total of over 7000:gold:.

Sushi Co. was supplying +13:food: to all of my cities (apart from the very newest ones).

No major wars, apart from annihilation of the Aztecs upon sight. Germany was an early voluntary vassal because lost Riga to independence and then France captured it. Very late, Germany got it back in a Conference. Inca also voluntarily vassalised, as did Mali and Khmer.

Over the last 8-10 turns, my population rose from 600,000,000 to 1,000,000,000. I had 10 cities of size 29 or greater by the end.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Yeah, police state is a must for domination and conquest type games (of which this is a variant).
Nice city there, Banjarmasin--food, production and commerce are all great, with a little river and plenty of hills. If only there wasn't a jungle there I would found it all the time.

Same year as Youtien!

I won Domination victory in about 1812, but interestingly by 1823 I was just under the area threshold for Domination again.

Founded Durban as first colony for the Gold happiness and also to make early contact with Mali (Divine Right = Spinal Minaret).

Key strategy was to steal lots of :gold: from France, and later Mali to support 100% Science economy with much more than 10 cities. First Great Person was a Great Spy, the infiltration of which into France allowed for 4 espionage missions to steal a total of over 7000:gold:.

Sushi Co. was supplying +13:food: to all of my cities (apart from the very newest ones).

No major wars, apart from annihilation of the Aztecs upon sight. Germany was an early voluntary vassal because lost Riga to independence and then France captured it. Very late, Germany got it back in a Conference. Inca also voluntarily vassalised, as did Mali and Khmer.

Over the last 8-10 turns, my population rose from 600,000,000 to 1,000,000,000. I had 10 cities of size 29 or greater by the end.

How did you tech? I think I can do way better next time.

There's a way to look how the population counts...... simply move mouse cursor to city name in city map screen. Pop 1 = 1000, 30 = about 50M. So we only have to get 20 mega cities, and get rice and seafood via conquest / trade / colonize.

How did you tech? I think I can do way better next time.

I think I could do faster also. I did not optimize the location of cities in South America and I didn't get to colonise the Montevideo area before Spain.

I chose Jayakarta and Brunei city (on the NE corner of Borneo) rather than one city over this area. Jayarkarta can get to a bigger population than your city on Borneo can because of one extra Banana resource on Jakarta.

I teched to avoid Sci Meth for a while, to keep my advantage from Christian Monasteries with Spinal/Sankore for as long as possible. This may not have been optimal, because Biology is so much more important than anything else. I think I got Biology in about 1650AD.

Other than Biology, the key techs are those that unlock the stability buildings (Security Bureaus and Intelligence Agencies). After that though, research can essentially be turned off, unless you feel like fighting a war along the road to 1 billion people and want some new technology units.

I think I could do faster also. I did not optimize the location of cities in South America and I didn't get to colonise the Montevideo area before Spain.

I chose Jayakarta and Brunei city (on the NE corner of Borneo) rather than one city over this area. Jayarkarta can get to a bigger population than your city on Borneo can because of one extra Banana resource on Jakarta.

I teched to avoid Sci Meth for a while, to keep my advantage from Christian Monasteries with Spinal/Sankore for as long as possible. This may not have been optimal, because Biology is so much more important than anything else. I think I got Biology in about 1650AD.

Other than Biology, the key techs are those that unlock the stability buildings (Security Bureaus and Intelligence Agencies). After that though, research can essentially be turned off, unless you feel like fighting a war along the road to 1 billion people and want some new technology units.

IIRC Genetics gives 3:health:

Interesting stuff!:D I am currently doing this as Vikings and my city placement differs pretty much from the usual spots. Hopefully I can report back soon.

Getting a billion souls with Vikings was more difficult than I imagined; mainly because they aren't that good at teching and that they don't get the extra buildings when founding colonies. Their stability isn't that good either, however, I suffered only one respawn when france respawned because of Spain's stability issues (they had Marseille). My tactic was to get the juicy city spots in Europe, so controlling the core of four civs didn't help either.

I founded Umea, proved to be a great city, as the capital, since Vikings don't get free workers in the beginning. Other cities that I founded early were Kalmar (can grow to 36 without corporations, supermarket), Dublin (33), Oslo and Reval (38). After dutch spawned I took Fredrikstad (35) from them, at first I planned to settle it, but it would've flipped to the Dutch. Then I signed peace with them and attacked France next, took Paris (41). Then something interesting happened as the barbs took London, thus I quickly signed peace with France and took London (30) from the barbs.

Spoiler :

A while after that France declared war on me, so I razed Bordeaux and they collapsed. Soon after England collapsed and I razed Plymouth and took Inverness. After that I razed Amsterdam. Meanwhile Germany had grown strong, but unstable too due to their endless war with Russia, so they collapsed. Me and Russia conquered the remains: I took Anielowka (can reach 38 without corporations, supermarket), Wien (33) and Frankfurt, while Russia took Berlin and Brest-Litowsk, however, my culture was so dominant that they both flipped to me and I disbanded them. Then I just founded my colonies, that's it. Oh, and I think that Roskilde (44) was founded on the biggest possible city site that the RFC can offer. In the end Ottomans and Spain (my biggest fish/clam importers) collapsed, but I estimated that Roskilde can grow 51, which is about 300million people, without breaking a sweat.

Note: all the numbers in brackets represent the size that the city can grow without corporations or supermarket, great merchant.

My Empire:

Spoiler :

Roskilde:

Spoiler :

I always thought Roskilde was the largest city (wichita to the Americans), however I'm starting to believe that Chennai, on the cows in South-East India can even surpass it

Where in files is hidden population of cities?

Code:
//return (((long)(pow((float)getPopulation(), 2.8f))) * 1000); //Rhye
return (((long)(pow((float)getPopulation(), 3.2f))) * 1000); //Rhye

So it's (pop^3.2)*1000 and it's not dependent on technology. So it's possible to do a chart, like:
1pop=1000
5pop=172000
10pop=1584000
20pop=14564000
30pop=53307000
40pop=133841000
45pop=195110000
50pop=273340000

Tlönitte;9656049 said:
I always thought Roskilde was the largest city (wichita to the Americans), however I'm starting to believe that Chennai, on the cows in South-East India can even surpass it

It can't even get close.

Top Bottom