Champions of Mystara - Preview Thread

Post #1 explains about that.;)

Yes, work on this mod is still happening!:)

Here's a reduced-size, no sound version of the intro movie I created for the mod. It's an .flc file in a .zip folder. Once extracted it can be played on Quicktime Viewer.

I'm currently still adding units to the mod. This is definitely the most time consuming part of the mod. I'm making ok work on it, but I'm going on vacation in less than two weeks and work will stop of course, until I get back.

All of the scenes in the intro video are stills I created in Poser based on pics in various D&D rulebooks or gazetteers. After the title the two scenes (of Thar and of the fighter fighting a dragon) are animated slightly. As they destroyed the memory on my computer (especially the one of Thar which took about 20 minutes per frame to render) they're not as long or detailed as I would like. Actually, they both were longer but had to be editted to keep only the best part of the animation. It took too much render time and real life time to fix and rerender. Anyways, enough blabber, I hope that it will add a nice touch to the mod when it's finally done.

Attachments

• MystaraIntroVid.zip
    5.2 MB · Views: 72
Thanks guys.:)

Unfortunately when it was converted to a .bik file it gets kind of pixelated, and particularly when it's stretched to a larger monitor size like I have on my new computer, but I'm happy enough with it. I already have a final version with music. Trying to edit the music to the video took quite a while.

Haven't updated this thread in a long while...

I'm still adding units, but as it can get kind of tiring sorting through them all, different versions for different civs and races, upgrades, civilopedia and pediaicon info, etc., I thought I'd take a momentary diversion to make a new wonder splash background for my mod.

Please let me know which you think looks better. They're not final, as you can see. They still need adjusting slightly to fit perfectly, but at least this will give you an example.

Attachments

• WoodWonder.jpg
    WoodWonder.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 114
  • MarbleWonder.jpg
    MarbleWonder.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 131
I am sorry, G, you know I`m your biggest fan, but that dragon just looks so funny :lol:

Like some mischeivous monkey. The concept is great, but I think it would be better if you give him a more honourable pose.

I would suggest something like this:

And to answer your question I like the 2nd one better.

:undecide: Not sure I can agree with you, Stormy. I've looked at it many times and it doesn't look silly to me. I want the dragon to be interacting with the box by climbing on it and to me it looks ok. I don't see all dragons as noble, but rather like humans some are noble <-- read uptight, some mischievious or playful. To me this is a young dragon climbing on a box...

If others say it looks silly I might change the pose...

But for a starter Stormrage, you'll have to repost that picture. I only see a little white box with a red 'x' in it.

Anyways, two people prefer the second image, and one the first. Please keep voicing opinions, and thanks to Stormrage, Virote_Considon, and Yoda Power for your replies.:)

...to make things more confusing, I kinda like the first one myself. :)

Thanks for voicing your opinions, kairob and againsttheflow.:)

I agree with the contrast of the second one, but I prefer the texture of the first one.

I think what I'll do is create both, but use the marble one in the mod, and leave the wooden one in the folder as an extra. Hopefully I'll remember to include a note on how to change it for anyone interested when I post the mod. If not, I guess it'll just be a little Easter Egg in the mod.

kairob,
I'll be including the shadow in the final version. Got lazy with the preview.:)

I redid the pose and look of the dragon a little, cause it was bugging me what Stormrage said about it looking funny.:cringe:

Here's a quick, temporary redo of the dragons pose.

Please let me know what you think. In fact now, looking at the other one does look a little silly to me.:crazyeye:

Attachments

• MarbleRedo.jpg
    MarbleRedo.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 74
Transparency in the wing is a nice touch. :thumbsup:

I'm glad you like it better, Stormrage.

againsttheflow,

The transparency actually was a little problematic with the final display, so I had to not bother trying to make it transparent.

I finished off the Wonder Box and got back to adding units. Here's what the in-game preview looks like:

Attachments

• InGameWonder.jpg
    InGameWonder.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 120
It looks wonderful! They were all looking good anyway. The contrast is less stark if the wonder picture is of this bead instead of the Lighthouse; the yellow blends in a bit better - maybe yellow instead of grey marble would have done the trick as well.
But is it just me or does that one dangling foot looking a bit funny? If it was me I think I think I would get rid of that.
But it's really great looking stuff!

Thanks, Optional.

The dangling foot is really easy to erase, but I probably won't make any alterations to this graphic until I'm sorting out all the final graphics after the mod is basically finished, as the mod is very, very overdue. :mischief:

On that note, I should be done adding units hopefully by about the second week of January, give or take a couple of weeks for how busy the holidays turn out. Then I'll be starting to finalize the resources, which hopefully won't take too long. It'll be nice once all the units are finished... such a long, arduous chore. Come to think of it, after I'm done adding all the units, I have to sort through about 100 Sandris units I've downloaded lately and replace some graphics. There goes another week or two into units.:crazyeye:

Top Bottom