• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

City State Elimination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 12
Carthage = 7 (6+1)
It's a great bonus, but if you lose the suzerainship you have a bunch of unused traders. So you really have to throw envoys on this CS.
They were not in every game but if they were and you throw envoys on this CS -> you will win, no matter what difficulty
Geneva = 4
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 15 (18-3) not the best
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 13

Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 12
Carthage = 7 + 1 = 8 (I'll try to keep them alive. All these require ample use of envoys and I've never had an issue keeping Carthage. I would put 20 envoys there if that's what it takes)
Geneva = 4 - 3 = 1 (15% science is mediocre compared to most of these and it can get interrupted at any time)
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 15
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 13

Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 12
Carthage = 9 (8 + 1) Trade routes are incredibly powerful, and this nearly doubles your potential for them.
Geneva = 1
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 12 (15 - 3) The list has gotten short enough that its getting to be time for the amenity CS to disappear, and this is the weakest.
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 13

Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 9 (12-3) nice, but not top 5
Carthage = 9
Geneva = 1
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 14 (13+1) perhaps best bonus of all

Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 9
Carthage = 9
Geneva = 0 (1-3) - ELIMINATED - not as good as the remaining.
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 15 (14+1) love the gold and Amenities.

Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 9-3 = 6 Seldom build wonders
Carthage = 9
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 15+1 = 16 Also love the gold and Amenities.

Auckland = 16
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 6
Carthage = 9 - 3 = 6 Takes too many envoys to keep and then watch another civ rolf stomp them.
Kumasi = 15
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 16 + 1 = 17 I like the amenities.

Auckland = 16-3= 13 (The only time they ever show up for me is when I have almost no coastal cities.)
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 6
Carthage = 6
Kumasi = 15 + 1= 16 (Always get amazing trade routes!)
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 17

Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 6
Carthage = 6+1=7 (this one actually gets most upvotes so far because people who know how to use it know it is the biggest game changer, but unfortunately it probably won't last due to the nature of elimination game. People come up with reasons like AI love it which I don't think is true. Let me give it one more point so it lasts a bit longer)
Kumasi = 16 -3=13 (people downvote Carthage because they consider extra 10+ routes not that valuable, but give this one upvotes? And its benefit only applies to trade routes to CS so not very flexible.... Well, I am a bit confused)
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 17

Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 6
Carthage = 4 (7-3) I don't think this should go next, though I prefer Brussels personally. I'm down voting it because if people up voting it and claim it is worth putting 20 envoys into one single CS, they are overreacting, and if not, I think they should seriously reconsider this.
Kumasi = 14 (13+1) Putting the best CS closer to #1. It's more of a hidden thing how good this one is. I guess not everyone has tried to get the full potential of this one. Give it a try! If you down vote it, fine, but give it a try next time you see it.
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 17

Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 6 +1 = 7 I like building wonders and this is good for that.
Carthage = 4 - 3 = 1 many other ways to get traders. I don't like having to sink all my envoys into them to keep it.
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 17

Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 7+1=8 - I love building wonders, so production boost for them is always welcomed.
Carthage = 1-3=-2 (ELIMINATED) - It's militaristic, the worst CS type. You must waste one district place for its bonus. When you lose suzerainity, you have a bunch of useless Encampments and traders you can't use, so you have to waste envoys you can otherwise send to the Brussels, Stockholm, Zanzibar, Muscat, etc. etc. to keep it, because it's the only CS of the remaining for which the suzerainity lose may be crucial. It's good, but the others are better.
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 17

Last edited:
Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 8-3 = 5 - Extra trade routes in a city will dwarf a 15% bonus to wonder production...too bad the CS that gives you extra TR's is out.
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11
Zanzibar = 17+1=18 - Nice amenity bonus, and it's a commercial CS

You guys are seriously underrating military CS. They are not the worst bonus - you know they apply to builders and settlers right? Unit production is valuable especially in the early game. Science is the easiest to get and least impactful bonus IMO unless you are going SV every time which I think explains some of this voting. Encampments are not a 'waste of a district slot' just because you don't like them.

Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 5 - 3 = 2 (Yeah Brussels is better than Carthage - that makes total sense. Eyes roll into the back of my skull. You do realize that you can probably build wonders faster with the extra trade routes from Carthage than with this bonus right?)
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 12
Stockholm = 11 + 1 = 12 (Probably the best science CS and I always like having extra GPP)
Zanzibar = 18

Last edited:
Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Brussels = 2-3=0 And Brussels is eliminated! Should have gone before Carthage...
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = (12+1)=13 Commercial Hubs giving me more amenities is a decent ability.
Stockholm = 12
Zanzibar = 18

Will Zanzibar win? I wonder....

{Updated Scores}

Auckland = 13
Buenos Aires = 13
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 13
Stockholm = 12
Zanzibar = 18

I abstain.
Well done everyone to this point -- I had to look these up to see what they do and I like them all and can make solid arguments for and against each of then. I'd lean towards Buenos Airesand Zanzibar being the best and Auckland after that, but all of these can be quite useful. I am rather shocked at Carthage leaving early and still love me some Valletta, but I can understand why people don't built encampments or go for religion would downgrade those.

Auckland = 14 (13+1) best of the 2 remaining Production CS.
Buenos Aires = 13
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 13
Stockholm = 9 (12-3) at this point its just personal choice. I don't go Science CS unless I need to catch up.
Zanzibar = 18

Auckland = 15
Buenos Aires = 13
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 11 (10+1) It's a trade CS and you always have tons of commercial hubs
Stockholm = 6 (9-3) I'm not into the GPP bonus, plus they are scientific
Zanzibar = 18

Auckland = 15
Buenos Aires = 13
Kumasi = 14
Muscat = 11
Stockholm = 6-3 = 3 Like the extra science but don't care about GPP