1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ V retail WON'T be in a box

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tylerryan79, Jun 30, 2010.

1. TheMystic

TheMystic Chieftain

Unfortunately manuals these days often get so trimmed that publishers are even chopping out the credits pages from them. Of course it reduces cost, and also allows publishers to claim that they're being more "green" due to using less paper. It just feels weird when you open up a game now only to see 6-10 pages of technical information than anything truly about the game itself.

I suppose some manuals were a bit excessive back in the day, but damn were they fun to read during off-time or before bed. I still have all my old PC games from the 80s and 90s, and some had manuals that reached as many as 150-200 pages. Considering how much information some of them provided, there were times I even felt as if I were getting a $10-15 book along with my game especially when it came to sims.

I think I'll always prefer the bulky manuals of old, and even though you can get just about any game digitally now I still buy physical copies of everything. Collector's Editions usually offer at least a fancy art book, so I buy those up like hotcakes. I'm currently trying to inspire Elizabeth at 2K to get behind at least a Civilization V Collector's Edition, assuming one is not already planned. I feel that Civ V is significant enough in the series to warrant one.

2. Matty R

Matty R Veteran Newbie

Oh. I didn't realise that. I thought it was ONLY going to be available as a Steam download. I'll read through the threads again. Thanks. :)

3. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Chieftain

what else would you read manual for but to understand the special abilities or classes, or gameplay mechanics?

4. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

But the civilopedia in Civ4 doesn't actually do that in an adequate way: mechanics are not described, some concepts are, but some like wonder obsoletion are completely false as described, other are lacking. There is no how to get started part either. The concepts section in BtS was fine, the original one is not.

5. StStutter

StStutter Chieftain

Oh wait... I meant everyone including the producer. It is in my opinion a system that has yet to be honed but will become much more efficient for everyone involved once it matures.

And I highly doubt the manual was the tipping factor between stealing and not.

6. Schuesseled

Schuesseled Chieftain

You might not get ontp massive details, but it teaches you how to play, and although there is no getting started bit, thats what the tutorial/advisors are for.

7. h4ppy

h4ppy You sir, pineapple?

That might be cute but some of us occasionally wipe our hard drives, switch computers or whatever and don't want to have to rebuy everything. The lack of manual is indicative of the negative effects this trend has had on those of us intelligent enough to have the same opinions as I do on purchasing computer games.

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Right, some are quite entertaining and fun to read.
    e.g. the Arcanum manual, which had a big section about the world it plays in, that was nice :cool:.

Am i allowed to cry "simplification"?

And beating deity is about details...

You don't have to rebuy anything.
    Just download the steam client, log in, and download your games again.

9. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

Box comes with a piece of paper that says

Check gamefaqs

10. aMoralAtheist

aMoralAtheist Chieftain

I read the manual during a long poop. Seriously.

11. Dig-Doug

Dig-Doug Savant of Sutpidity

It sounds like you and I were both raised on the old school idea that books were keepsakes. I have them from then also and enjoy looking through them occasionally "just because".

I guess the younger generation just have grown up without the wonderful read of books since everything is "online" or "updated" from the word GO!:crazyeye:

Aahhh... Memories

DD

12. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Not all of us youngers disregard books, I read 10 000+ pages a year (I:love:library)

13. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Chieftain

Nothing quite like a book, just isn't the same reading off a computer screen, doesn't have that nice book smell either :p, but this is for entertainment purposes, a manual, no one likes a manual, boring technical stuff no one should read anyway, PFD is fine for that, and Civipedia is all thats needed instead of an old big manual. If you say the civopedia in cIV wasn't good enough for your likes, then you need to suggest that they make the civpedia bigger and better in ciV.

Infact I have a suggestion on an idea for a civopedia. I guess ill go post it :p.

14. deanej

deanej Chieftain

I always read the manual. Not all of us like to lean the game by guessing and failing; in fact, I think those people are crazy.

15. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

Keep in mind that we are discussing a video game. It's hypocrisy to bash people who use computers when you're on the internet.

16. TheMystic

TheMystic Chieftain

Haha actually I was just going through some old games a week or two ago, and revisited the manuals for Master of Orion II, Wing Commander, Ancient Art of War in the Skies, Outpost, Red Baron, and Aces of the Pacific. :)

There was just something special about getting that extra content back then. It allowed you to take the game away from the computer in a way, and try to master it when you just didn't have time to play. For me, game manuals offered a lot of bedtime reading, and of course I wouldn't play a game in the first place without reading through at least once.

I remember when I was maybe five or six searching around outside for spider silk, ginseng, mandrake root, etc. because of the Ultima IV spellbook. I actually thought if I found the reagents I could cast spells in real life.

17. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

Yes but *back then* you had to read the manual to learn what was the 5th word on page 27 so that you could satisfy the DRM of the game :p

CS

18. Dig-Doug

Dig-Doug Savant of Sutpidity

Who's Bashing anyone?!? It was a simple comment about reading something from online -vs- a book. If you take offense to that it's your fault not mine!:rolleyes:

Yes I use computers too, but a manual just has an allure for me like no other book can just because it does contain info on a subject that gives at least some understanding to the game. The older voluminous books from ages past were great in that most contained back story as well. I happen to grow up during the age of books(for me).

That golden age is past. oh well, I move on... and so should you...:D

DD

Yup them days were the best!!!

Unfortunately they are gone I fear and companies just don't have the gumption to go back to them to costly I suppose in this economy.

"Wing Commander III" in the movie real was fantastic for it's time and the "7th Guest" was mesmerizing to say the least since it was the best use of CD technology at the time, which was a brand new tech then.

Back to reality Doug!:D

DD

19. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Police Squad!

as long as there's a pdf file on the dvd i couldnt care less about a printed manual.

20. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

If you want to piss into the wind be my guest. There are literally thousands that don't care for everyone that complains about this stuff. I'm really glad that they are still making PC games at all.

If they keep making quality PC games and the only thing I have to complain about is digital distribution and a lack of fat manuals I'll consider myself lucky. You'll be lucky if Civ6 isn't OnLive exclusive or something at this rate.

It's not 1999 and it will never be 1999 again. Let it go.