1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ World Registration

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by greshick, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

You better PM me, 'cause you lost me at "kraken". WTF are you talking about?

Also, would you be so kind as to post this info in the news column? I'm really tired of looking at Jon's face.

2. GKling

GKling Chieftain

My guess is the DLC trend will continue here as well. How many 'Facebook Credits' (which you can purchase online at Facebook) will it cost to rush that Swordsman you need?

At least in CivFB if you get bored you can spend those Credits on a new cow in Farmville instead. :sad:

3. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I was intrigued when I saw something in my newsfeed about this, but lost all faith immediately. It sounds like Civ World is going to be similar to those craptastic "nation sim" games. I hate those "games" as every time its just one group that dominates the game and ensures they can grind everyone else under their heel so only they have fun. And then there is the attitude problem with people who are clearly trying to compensate for something.

Plus I really have no interest in playing games with other people using my facebook account.

But hey, maybe they will still manage to make a really neat game.

4. ImperialGuard

ImperialGuard Prince

I read recently that "CityVille" (the next incantation of "Farmville") set some kind of record for quickest and most participants.

Gotta think the next incantation of "Cityville" will be "WorldVille" (or something like that...)

Sid/Firaxis/2K better hurry up and get their game on Facebook !!

Hey maybe with some luck the creators of "Cityville" will create a PC Civ game :lol:

5. 2K Elizabeth

2K Elizabeth <span style="font-weight:bold; text-decoration: un

That's cool - I get a bunch of my news from sites like these, too - but the official sites will usually have the news first being, you know, the official sites. ;)

We're here now, though - we like to hang out here when we have the time to do so.

6. markusbeutel

markusbeutel NiGHTS

By "the official channels where they exploded this morning" do you mean the 2K Games discussion forum where there have been a grand total of 60 views and 0 replies to this news?"

I cannot imagine.

7. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Discuss the content of Sid's letter, CivWorld, etc. This is not the place to debate whether or not this news was posted in the right place. It is now posted on our front page as well.

8. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

First CivRev, now CivWorld. I can't hardly wait to see what's next. :rolleyes:

9. Ceoladir

Ceoladir Come Fly With Me

Civ iPhone or iPad? That is always the next step. ;)

Legit:

I will definitely try this once it comes out of beta or whatever it is in, it looks good, I just don't have the time right now to do it. :(

10. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Civ Rev can be played on an iPhone, and Civ5 can be played on an iPad.

11. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

The full-screen I Win button, remember?

12. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Seriously, the next step will be micro-DLCs (all the rage in Japan). The base game will be free but extra content will be .25, .50. .99 cents.

But remember when hardcore PC gamers used to be the market? Now it's the non-gaming masses.

13. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

I have zero interest in this.

Just thought I'd share that. :D

14. greshick

greshick Chieftain

I will keep everyone updated as to when we get in to the alpha. It should be a lot of fun for those coming along for the ride.

15. Mathalamus

Mathalamus Emperor of Mathalia

i don't like the idea of having to have friends just to play the game. i have no more interest in that game.

16. skallben

skallben Diplomat

Have anyone actually considered that this might be a gateway for millions to catch on interest in Civilization series?
    I won't play games on FB ever and I do not want a "simpler" Civ but I don't think game devs have some kind of moral obligation to create "intelligent" games. It is nice when they do but they also need to run a company successfully. If people have fun playing this, good for them. I trust devs like Firaxis and Obsidian continue to create more "mature" games. Peace.

17. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I'm pretty sure this is exactly why Sid and Firaxis are making it, create a free game for facebook to draw more fans. And possibly from what I've seen about Sid its also a chance to do a different project.

I'm not going to play it but getting more people interested in the series is a good thing.

18. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

From what I remember, that was the explicitly stated goal. To make Civ games more accesible to a wider audience, with the flow on effect on increasing popularity for the core games. So even if you aren't going to be playing it yourself, it's a good thing to support for that reason.

19. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

:lol::lol:

Rarely laughed so much reading a reply. :goodjob:

About the game... well, I'll follow The_J's example and hold my peace.

If there were planning to accomplish this by doing a Facebook game, why did they have to try it out on Civ 5?

If all they wanna do is a bunch of dum... ops, erm... "more accessible" games then it makes no sense to make so much games, one is suficient.

It would make more sense to me if before the launch of Civilization Revolutions, a more accessible game of Civilization, they launched this simple Facebook game to get people addicted and then release Civilization 5 after Civ Rev with more complex mechanisms, a title for people who played the über simple Civ World, the accessible and strategic Civilization Revolutions and now wants to be challenged by complexity. Instead we get 3 simple games. Weird.

20. Jenarie

Jenarie Prince

Cityville is way better than Farmville and even more addicting. I find myself checking in when I wake up then again as soon as I get home from work and then again before I go to bed... it's only been out a few weeks (seems like only 2 but thinking must be more than that!?) but it's FUN and it's nice to have a game you can play in 5-10 minute segments.

On this board I'm a bit ashamed to admit to playing Facebook games but really Cityville is great and if you have a Facebook account and ever liked Simcity or similar then try it. I do Farmville once a day but I tend to skip several days quite often.

As to the paying... they do have citycash or whatever they call it as does farmville and all the games but most games give you some each time you level for free and I've never been tempted to pay any real money. You can do anything in the game without the cash it just takes longer. I'm assuming Civ will work the same way - if it doesn't I'll immediately stop playing.

I will be signing up for the Civ Alpha if I can get a group of friends to play. But considering Facebook is real names I want real people I know not people from a message board to team up with.