Civ3 1.29f Bugs Report Thread

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this problem. I also experienced it in the previous version of the editor. Sometimes, one of the tabs will just disappear. I just have to close the dialog box and open it again, and it comes back, but I can't seem to duplicate it right now to get a screenshot. anyone else seen this?

I am playing my first full game since installing the new patch and i have never seen this problem before.

Huge map, which i rarely play on. Archipelago, max land. 7 AI opponents. Presently 1300's ad and late middle ages. World is not fully colonized yet. Been at war with India since 620 AD.

On the AI's move, it will move units into my territory. On my turn, the unit is no longer there.

Several times, India sent a single war elephant into my territory. Once it was a longbowman. When it was my turn, the unit was not there. After the problem was noticed, India once sent a settler/spearman combo into my territory and it was there on my turn.

Also, right after signing a ROP with France, and allying with the rest of the world against America, a lone french worker entered my territory but was not there on my turn.

Anyone else have this problem or any clues as to what it may be?

I think there is a memory leak in the Civ3 Editor or terrible memory inefficiencies in either window 98SE and/or the Civ3 Editor. I'm assuming both because at certain points, the system runs out of memory (I have 256MB) and even when I close other programs (Opera, Excel), it doesn't solve the problem unless I close the editor.

Civ III has caused an error and will close!!
I got this error during a game last night. I had just newlly installed the 1.29 patch and wanted to try adding a new unit. I added the peltast unit but called it Javelin. The problem doesn't seem to be with the new unit (I can build this unit ok and fight with it etc.) it's every time I try to enter diplomatic negotiations with Egypt the game crashes!! I've never had this occur before the new patch (in many, many hours of game play). The error is repeatable everytime whether you right-click an Egyptian unit or go to the Foreign Adviser screen and double click Cleo and even after they contact and I agree to speak to them. I can contact all the other civs ok. The only work around I can see is to eradicate the Egyptians (that wouldn't be nice, would it?).
I will post the sav file if anyone would care to look at it.

Originally posted by Archimedes
Civ III has caused an error and will close!!
I got this error during a game last night. I had just newlly installed the 1.29 patch and wanted to try adding a new unit. I added the peltast unit but called it Javelin. The problem doesn't seem to be with the new unit (I can build this unit ok and fight with it etc.) it's every time I try to enter diplomatic negotiations with Egypt the game crashes!! I've never had this occur before the new patch (in many, many hours of game play). The error is repeatable everytime whether you right-click an Egyptian unit or go to the Foreign Adviser screen and double click Cleo and even after they contact and I agree to speak to them. I can contact all the other civs ok. The only work around I can see is to eradicate the Egyptians (that wouldn't be nice, would it?).
I will post the sav file if anyone would care to look at it.

I am curious did you completely remove Civ3 from system before installing the latest patch? Go into folder and remove manually any files left behind. I normally go into the registry and remove all reference to Infogrames Interactive and Civ3. Remove old patches too, they all install in their own place. This way you can be assured of a clean install.
I assume you placed all the proper information in the Pedicons.txt file? I have not experienced any crashes or strange events since I installed the new patch. I had one crash to the desktop for some unknown reason but I reloaded the game without a problem. I still have some complaints but no major bugs or crashes, so I am very curious. :cool: ;)

Originally posted by Desert Fox

I am curious did you completely remove Civ3 from system before installing the latest patch? Go into folder and remove manually any files left behind. I normally go into the registry and remove all reference to Infogrames Interactive and Civ3. Remove old patches too, they all install in their own place. This way you can be assured of a clean install.
I assume you placed all the proper information in the Pedicons.txt file? I have not experienced any crashes or strange events since I installed the new patch. I had one crash to the desktop for some unknown reason but I reloaded the game without a problem. I still have some complaints but no major bugs or crashes, so I am very curious. :cool: ;)

I didn't do a clean install tho' that might be a good idea. I'll try doing clean install tonight and see - thanks..

Originally posted by kingjoshi
I think there is a memory leak in the Civ3 Editor or terrible memory inefficiencies in either window 98SE and/or the Civ3 Editor. I'm assuming both because at certain points, the system runs out of memory (I have 256MB) and even when I close other programs (Opera, Excel), it doesn't solve the problem unless I close the editor.

I've noticed that too (I had file swapping off in the mem manager). It'll error out on closing (I guess looking for the swap file?). But, after running the game 12+ times (15?), it does cause Win98SE to do funny things...

Does anyone have this problem? I have called the Editor and tried to place units and towns, but there is no icon for either choice in the task-bar!! Just a greyed outline where they should be. What's missing?

Patch 1.29 is the straw that broke the camel's(my computer's) back. I have been playing on an oooollld computer (Pentium 200 MHz, 4 GHz Hard drive, 64 MB RAM) since I bought the game the day it came out. This is the first patch I have installed, and now the game is slllooooowwwww. It takes 5 seconds for a unit to go from square one to square two. Oh well, there were many other reasons for me to get a new comp., but this one has done me in. Thanks Firaxis.

Originally posted by phishphanatic
Patch 1.29 is the straw that broke the camel's(my computer's) back. I have been playing on an oooollld computer (Pentium 200 MHz, 4 GHz Hard drive, 64 MB RAM) since I bought the game the day it came out. This is the first patch I have installed, and now the game is slllooooowwwww. It takes 5 seconds for a unit to go from square one to square two. Oh well, there were many other reasons for me to get a new comp., but this one has done me in. Thanks Firaxis.

You are joking right? Your PC doesn't even meet the recommendations, not to mention it is close to a "stone age" computer system relatively speaking.
No offense but I would really feel silly posting a complaint like this one. I mean considering you have a computer that barely runs windows. :) Maybe you might want to reconsider your statement?

My company is NeoTech Solutions we build custom gaming computers here in Las Vegas for 5 years now. We offer AMD systems with 3 different levels low, mid and high end systems. If not me you really need do some shopping for new PC before complaining again. DO you complain about other games when they run like crap too? Civ2 is a good one to run on that old system :). :lol: ;)

Actually you can speed it up a little..

1. Close out all other programs
go to Cnet and get a FREE program called

END IT ALL

that program will help you close out all uncessary programs..

2. Get another program by the name of

Memturbo[/B}...

this aint free by you can try it out to see if it works.. THis programs frees up your ram when you need it.. Don't run it in the game but before and after and you will have a better experience

3. Hold the shift key down when your opponents are moving.. That will put them into fast mode and may also help..

4. No--In case you were wondering, I dont have a slow machine, I use a 1.6 Athlon, a PII350, a Amdk-2-333, and they all work... of course the athlon is the best but I use both of those programs listed above diligently..

Mark

Originally posted by Desert Fox

Cheers Desert Fox. I did a clean-up of my PC over the weekend and freshly installed Civ3 and the 1.29 patch. Everything seems fine now - I've not had a prob entering the diplo screen with any Civ including Egypt.

Something that hasn't been posted about that I've noticed since I installed 1.29f. In every game I've played, the techs are going *much* faster. I know there were complaints about the speed of tech tree on the lower levels, but this is a little nuts. I'm playing a huge map with 8 opponents on Warlord. I'm in 750 AD, building Theory of Evolution and researching Atomic Theory. Egypt and France are right behind me in techs, and the others are at the end of the Middle Ages for the most part.

Anyone else notice the speed up?

Originally posted by pills
Something that hasn't been posted about that I've noticed since I installed 1.29f. In every game I've played, the techs are going *much* faster. I know there were complaints about the speed of tech tree on the lower levels, but this is a little nuts. I'm playing a huge map with 8 opponents on Warlord. I'm in 750 AD, building Theory of Evolution and researching Atomic Theory. Egypt and France are right behind me in techs, and the others are at the end of the Middle Ages for the most part.

Yes I noticed it big time on my large worlds. I play on 200x200 maps I jack up the tech rate to around 430-450, change the general settings from 40 turns to 50. I set the AI to Monarch level to this gives them a little advantage when player plays Regent or Monarch that is. Even with the 160x160 map I would increase the tech rate to a slightly higher number. IMHO anyways :p

I think I found a bug with giving/receiving gold per turn, whenever I add money in that way in diplomacy, or request it, the AI will not want to make a deal. So if I am close to a deal, and I decide to make it even nicer by adding 1 gold per turn the AI immediately says it doesn't want to accept such a deal.

Meneer,

They'll reject such Gold Per Turn deals if they don't trust you will be able to hold up your end of the bargain, have broken other such deals, or various other reasons I'm not postive of.

" I'm assuming both because at certain points, the system runs out of memory (I have 256MB) and even when I close other programs (Opera, Excel), it doesn't solve the problem unless I close the editor."

Closing programs doesn't always free up your ram, there are programs to help with that.

Originally posted by pills

Are you using Accelerated Production? Many using it have said they have noticed this as well.

Top Bottom