Civ3 1.29f Bugs Report Thread

"You are joking right? Your PC doesn't even meet the recommendations, not to mention it is close to a "stone age" computer system relatively speaking.
No offense but I would really feel silly posting a complaint like this one. I mean considering you have a computer that barely runs windows. Maybe you might want to reconsider your statement?

My company is NeoTech Solutions we build custom gaming computers here in Las Vegas for 5 years now. We offer AMD systems with 3 different levels low, mid and high end systems. If not me you really need do some shopping for new PC before complaining again. DO you complain about other games when they run like crap too? Civ2 is a good one to run on that old system "

Well said. Your chip might be a canadate for overclocking but there isn't to much else you could do for it, more ram would require a larger swap file and at it's (apparent) age and slow spin rate it wouldn't be worth it.
I just started a job and found that they had 12-700mh pent. processors and related equipment laying arround!! Cluster computer anyone?

possibly it is due to the map, not the size but the resources etc.. sometimes if too many cities grow very large this can increase the speed.

I also noticed in earlier ages tech would move so fast making the units obsolete too quick... I got around this by increasing tech cost during earlier times.. takes a few games but eventually you can fine tune it pretty good..

just curious, anyone see a map utilization tool for determining tech rate? or some sort of formula?

teturkhan,

Would you be willing to post what you have the techs at(approximately) to limit our learning curve.

Also what size map due you use.. I have the same problem with practically any map that is very large 200x200+

I havent seen or heard of any formulas for tech as of yet..

As for the extra computer chips send them my way I know we could use them in something????? :D

Mark

I almost finished my WWII scenario, and wanted to playtest it, but everytime the scenario gets to configurating scenario it crashes. i don't know what I did wrong, so can someone please take a look at it and see what the problem is?

Some issues I've noticed playing the 1.29f patch. Clean install of Civ3, never modded, running on a P2-350, Win98, DirectX 8.1a, Voodoo3 card with 3rd party drivers, AudioPCI 64V soundcard, 192 megs ram.

1. Game is quite stable considering the age of my hardware, it only crashes once every 15-20 hours of gameplay. But my last crash I went to reload from autosave and the game wouldn't load. Turns out every autosave file was at 0 bytes. Autosave was working earlier during this same game, and has been working ever since on new games, no clue why this happened.

2. Diplomacy screen shows I can make a trade deal with a civ, upon entering diplomatic negotiations no possible trade deal is shown.

3. A trade item (like Dyes) can show as 0 free to trade in the diplomacy screen and yet you can select on it and trade dyes. In this case the 0 is the incorrect part, as I knew I had free Dyes to trade (which is why I tried it even though it said 0).

4. There is a bug with some diplomatic negotiations with the computer (I've noticed it with peace negotiations). What happens is that you get a deal that is almost acceptable (or even acceptable) then you add something to it on -your- side and the status jumps to 'would probably be insulted'. I read a few posts back that this is the computer being uncertain about GPT offers from the player, well, this happens with -any- offer: tech, cities, lump sums of cash, it doesn't matter. Here is a specific example: I'm going for a peace treaty with England, their side has Peace Treaty and 2 of their cities on it, my side has Peace Treaty. The deal will probably be accepted. I then add 500 gold to my side (not GPT, cash), and the deal is rejected as insulting. Adding anything at all to my side, in fact, results in the deal being considered insulting. This is a repeatable issue, every peace treaty I negotiate always displays this behaviour.

5. I was in a war as a democracy and war weariness started causing unhappiness in about 10 of my cities. Got the popups, choose 'give them some entertainment'. Next turn, 2 of the cities were in continued riots. Did some checking, it seems that the 'give them some entertainment' function doesn't work if more than one new entertainer is needed. So this function is currently unreliable under war weariness (normal city growth can't produce 2 unhappiness in a turn as far as I know of, so either war weariness can or those cities grew by 1 -and- hit war weariness in the same turn).

6. Got a divide by zero error once when trying to bring up the Histogram screen, only seen this once, didn't show up again when I reloaded from autosave.

7. Not sure whether this is a bug or lack of a feature, but thought I'd mention it: when your workers clean up a pollution square that previously had workers on it, those workers aren't reassigned. Which means every single time you clean up pollution you have to open up the relevant city screen and manually reassign the workers. Considering the vast number of times you have to do this over the course of a game when you have even a middlin' number of cities this is pretty annoying. Whenever pollution is cleaned up inside a city's radius the computer should automatically check to see if a citizen should be reassigned to work there.

8. This one isn't a bug, but since I haven't complained about culture flipping, editor diplomacy, or modding I figure I'm due this one little indulgence: I'd like an option setting in Preferences for 'always reassign entertainers that are no longer needed'. It's irritating and inefficient to constantly have to check each and every city you have in order to manually reassign entertainers after war weariness (or any other unhappiness factor) wears off. I mentioned imping this as a Preference, because even though I can't think of a reason for doing so there might be people who want to have more entertainers assigned than needed at a given time (possibly as a preemptive strike against soon-to-be-occurring unhappiness).

This last is mostly just a comment: the AIs do still seem a little too friendly when it comes to trading with each other (this is on Regent difficulty), but they definitely aren't just giving away things left and right. The top AI civs all have the same techs 99% of the time (i.e. they trade everything with each other on a constant basis), but the 1 or 2 trailing AI civs won't tend to have all of them, which indicates that the AIs are asking -something- for their trades. Since this can be adjusted by the user it shouldn't be a big deal.

Combat resolution is horrible in this game, my God, did you cut and paste in the combat resolution code from Colonization? :lol: I've got to try what one person mentioned and doubling (or even tripling) the unit hitpoints, maybe that way the constant statistical aberrations I see can be weeded out (and yes, I see them both for and against me, the AI gets screwed/benefited as well). If I never see a unit with an 80% chance of victory lose 5 times in a row again (theoretically a .03% chance of happening) it will be fine with me. :)

Kudos to the Firaxis team for doing so much patch work on this game, I appreciate it. And the game is -much- better for that work, too. So once again, thanks for the continuing effort to make this game better and better.

Vorlin: Regarding the trading bug:

The AI was modified in one of the first patches to never trade a city. It will give you cities for peace if it is losing the war, but if you try to give something other than peace in return, the AI will refuse. Same for if you try to trade away your city, i think. You can give it away, but you can't trade it away.

I thought this might be the problem, as I'd read in other places that some people used to use city trading to exploit an AI weakness. But surely they can come up with something better than this, as it is a good portion of potential trading interactions have ludicrous results (i.e. the more you give the less they want it).

I don't think a game's internal logic should be tossed out the window just because of a few twink exploiters. Let them ruin their own fun, but when Firaxis codes this kind of stuff in response they are ruining -my- fun. If a logical in-game solution can't be coded in then I'd rather the exploit be left in place.

I think did something and all the windows just disappeared. No Infobox, no nothing. What did I do wrong?

And btw, the picture I attached is unedited. That's all that I see on my screen with no cuts. I just left-clicked on one of my army stacks for the mouse-placeholder.

Oh and for the admins (or the admins of vBulletin for that matter) the attachment goes away when you click the 'Preview Reply' option. Is that 'fix-able'?

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 333
Anyone else notice that if you create a map, place barbarian camps on an empty island, no matter how large of land you have you will never experience any barbarian uprisings? Is this a bug or was it done on purpose? Seems like a bug to me. I was trying to create a scenario when I discoverd this. Thanks. :cry:

John, I was browsing the keyboard shortcuts earlier today and it says that the Delete key hides the interface, try pressing that key again and see if your interface pops back up, you might have hit it earlier by mistake.

I know this is very nit-picky, and I know it's really not a 1.29 bug, but there's a grammer mistake in the Civlopedia thingie that's going to drive me batty and I hope they amend SOMEHOW. :( :cry:

I was playing today and found this-

"Copernicus's Observatory".

:crazyeye:

1. Game is quite stable considering the age of my hardware, it only crashes once every 15-20 hours of gameplay. But my last crash I went to reload from autosave and the game wouldn't load. Turns out every autosave file was at 0 bytes. Autosave was working earlier during this same game, and has been working ever since on new games, no clue why this happened.

I usually don't read much in Civ 3 threads, since I don't have Civ 3 installed right now. But i can tell you why this happened. When the game crashed, the files were not properly closed. The File Allocation Table was probably not updated either. You are actually risking corruption of other files on your hard drive if you don't run check for errors (Right click the drive ---> Properties ---> Tools ----> Check for Errors ).

@everyone: If Civ 3 is crashing (or any game, nay... any program), you need to check for file system errors & corruption on a regular basis. Correct the errors. You can (and eventually will) have seemingly totally unrelated problems with your computer otherwise.... you might be cursing some photo imaging program 2 weeks from now, when the real cause was from a crash or reboot playing Civ 3, for instance. I did not realize how unstable Civ 3 was (is).... no wonder so many people have been having problems defragging & other stuff (judging by complaints in Computer Talk Forum) :eek: .

Soooooo...... ya'll just remember to take the time to check & correct disk errors after each crash, and the rest of you system may well be more stable.

Note to self: Guess I need to read the Civ 3 section, hehe. ;)

@Becka: You will like this then... you've probably seen the "NT" acronym before. It means "New Technology", and MS gave that title to their newly written Operating System about 10 years ago (Windows NT, which was renamed Windows2000, then Windows XP, and will be renamed again in about 2004/5). Knowing what the acronym is, here is what MS oftens says at their official sites & in literature (keep in mind they are only the richest corporation in the world):

"NT Technology"

Which of course is "New Technology Technology" :lol:

Too bad a double dose of technology, NT^2 (NT squared), is not able to trap application errors better, such as those generated by Civ 3 at times.

:)

Civ 3 locks up when an fighter defends agaist me attacking thier city.

There are others who have this same problem, the only way to get out is to cntrl alt dlt, I totally reinstalled civ 3 and the saved game still had this same problem.

Everything else seems perfect, I dont know if this has to do with the new patch because I just started playing the game after months of owning it.

Help would be really nice because i cant play this game if this is going to happen, bombers seems too important a unit not to use

BTW im using the newest patch. I have no problems with any games, and I have alot!

Like I said i have seen numerous posts about this exact same problem, so it must be a bug in the game code. this needs to be fixed

Originally posted by WarISgood
Civ 3 locks up when an fighter defends agaist me attacking thier city.

I experienced the lock-up when a jet fighter defended against an AI bomber attack on the edge of my border. I also had to Ctrl-Alt-Del. Fortunately, I had saved just before the turn started, but reloading the turn again resulted in the same problem.

My only solution was to take all of my jet fighters off of Air Superiority for the turn and let the AI have a free round of bombing my territory.

Other items which may or may not be contributing factors
--my city was surrounded by another AI
--I had multiple jet fighters (3) set to Air Superiority. I have not seen this error with regular fighters
--I had an airport in the city
--the error seemed to occur more commonly when the tile being bombed was at the edge of my city radius, particularly if the tile was wedged between another AI's cultural borders.
--the sound effect for the bomber would occur, followed by the interception, but the animation for the bomber and the interception never showed, which I suspect is closely tied to the actual problem. I can't remember whether or not the sound for the "terrain improvements destroyed" happend (I think it did), but the corresponding text message never appeared.

I wish I had kept the saved game that this happened on so I could do a little more investigating as to other possible contributing factors.

Perhaps someone who has this in a saved game can submit to Firaxis for debugging?

I will try to verify this problem that everyone is experiencing. Maybe we can get Firaxis Attention to get on a new patch ASAP? I am not far away from the Modern era just into industrial. There seems to be some strange quirk still in the game since the last patch.

Becka:
NOT "there's a grammer mistake :
BUT "there is a grammatical error"
or a mistake in grammar
Copernicus' observatory caught this while observantly observing
;)

Originally posted by pills
Something that hasn't been posted about that I've noticed since I installed 1.29f. In every game I've played, the techs are going *much* faster. I know there were complaints about the speed of tech tree on the lower levels, but this is a little nuts. I'm playing a huge map with 8 opponents on Warlord. I'm in 750 AD, building Theory of Evolution and researching Atomic Theory. Egypt and France are right behind me in techs, and the others are at the end of the Middle Ages for the most part.

Anyone else notice the speed up?

I usually play Warlord, sometimes Regent, and since I installed the patch, I just can't keep up on techs. Twice I've been miles ahead on points, but lost the space race. So I shut off "allow space race" victory just to keep myself in the game, but I don't call that a solution. I am not playing with accelerated production. Great Library gets me caught up, but not for long. I trade and try to buy techs as long as I can, but at some point I run out of stuff to trade and stay a frustrating step or two behind the AIs in tech and great wonder building. Ugh. I'm really thinking about getting rid of this patch.

Top Bottom