Inca 29
Iroquois 2
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 20
Persia 20
Roman Empire 3
Siam 19

I'm removing the votes from post 746, after searching the thread there seems to be a consensus that votes only count when reasons are provided, as in post 473 "Mod comment: I think it's OK to require reasons for votes. This is in the discussion part of the forums, so just voting without a reason is spam. At least this way, by applying peer pressure to include reasons you're furthering the discussion instead of making us card spammers."

My vote goes for Ethiopia again .. I love running a 3 or 4 city tall empire and raze the cities of opposing civs around me, only puppeting wonder-capitals.

Babylon gets my down vote, never liked this civ much, one-trick pony civ? Research writing, build academy and watch as you develop a decent science advantage, then I suppose people have learned tricks to exploit faster great scientists but I prefer great Engineers over great scientists for more wonders. Walls of babylon and bowmen seem really dull and things which I might build but which aren't going to particularly alter my game in any way. Maybe if those walls were made extremely strong, that would be a nice buff, as it stands anecdotally I've seen my gf play as Babylon on hotseat being rushed and she had the walls of babylon in babylon and i saw no significant difference take place on the rate at which that city defence degraded by attacks or the strength of the attacks it responded with.

They often look like barbarians to me. Maybe it's because when I look at my screen at an angle, the color de-saturate a little, but there have been quite a few instances of me almost attacking someone because I thought their warrior was a barb.

Maybe a bit of this taking place? "Some 10 million American men—fully 7 percent of the male population—either cannot distinguish red from green, or see red and green differently from most people. This is the commonest form of color blindness" or just difference in monitors. On my screen it is extremely challenging to differentiate between barbs and Ethiopia, but my gf states she sees them very distinctly from one another, so maybe I have a mild form of colour blindness for green.

Arabia 24
Babylon 27
Carthage 19
China 25
England 8 (-2)
Ethiopia 11
Inca 29
Iroquois 2
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 20
Persia 21 (+1)
Roman Empire 3
Siam 19

Another potshot at england, the very effective longbows are coming a bit late and the UA doesn't have enough value in most situations.
Persia, trying an immortal culture victory with them atm and I just trashed the huns with my extra movement during GA.

Yes there is, if you use the new Sandstorm map under advanced options.

Eh, I don't like to choose options that favor me. The game is too easy when I do that. The normal maps don't have such an option.

Apparently, it's possible to create a mod that would replace some grass tiles with marsh for only The Netherlands. But, a Firaxis guy said that he'd be surprised if anyone other than him knew enough about the map system to make it happen. :(

Arabia 24
Babylon 27
Carthage 19
China 25
England 8
Ethiopia 11
Inca 29
Iroquois 0
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 3
Siam 19

Iroquois: I don't like zombies. These guys were dead and unable to receive votes for a time. I know that posts without comments aren't counted, but Iroquois was dead for too long to bring it back. So, I'm rekilling the zombie!

Persia: G&K has only a few civilizations with an UA focused on Culture. France is obvious (+2 Culture per city), but the others are more clever. I like Siam's bonus (double Culture from city-states), but I like Persia's even more. Golden Ages are an interesting mechanic. Persia's Culture bonus is strong, but not passive. You might have to somewhat alter the way you'd normally play to take advantage of the UA. These are the best kinds of bonuses. The Immortal is nice, too.

These guys were dead and unable to receive votes for a time.

Those votes would have cut both ways. I delayed on fixing the tally and twice submitted for someone who could confirm those were the rules to do it, no one did, I meant to get around to it last night but fell asleep.

I think a rule is only as good as it is applied to everyone, I've also noticed some accounts which look suspiciously 'new' on here posting, but whatever. I'm probably in the minority in that I keep hoping my favourite civ will be booted out as much as I like them and vote for them, simply because I probably wouldn't enjoy a civ as much if I knew that they were either considered top 3 powerful or top 3 popular.

Arabia 24
Babylon 27
Carthage 19
China 25
England 8
Ethiopia 11
Inca 30
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 20
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

As expressed before, Incans are the best, most well rounded civ. UU on the weak end, but the UI and UA more than make up for it.

Rome is great, but they bore me when I play them. UA is good for slower speeds I think. UU's are great for early game but fizz out after Physics.

Arabia 24
Babylon 27
Carthage 19
China 25
England 8
Ethiopia 9
Inca 30
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

Ethiopia seems too situational, in that leveraging the most out of them is dependent on being small and being attacked. I would much rather not get into that situation in the first place. The Netherlands, as I believe I stated previously, are really useful with their early game bonus. It opens up all sorts of directions to have disposable gold close to the beginning.

Arabia 24
Babylon 25 (-2)
Carthage 19
China 25
England 9 (+1)
Ethiopia 9
Inca 30
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

Wow, this list is a lot shorter after me going away for the weekend. hahaha.

England shouldn't be so low on the points. In vanilla they sucked, but post G&K, they are a MAJOR threat. Both their UUs are amazing now (and Ship of the Line's work well with England's UA). Plus a free early spy? Count me in.

Babylon is overly reliant on their UA.

Arabia 24
Babylon 25 - 2 = 23
Carthage 19
China 25
England 9 + 1 = 10
Ethiopia 9
Inca 30
Korea 28
Maya 17
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

Babylon: Bowmans are now obselete with CBs, so they are quite useless, I think. Also, everytime I play with them as an AI they always get conquered. They never expand.

England: I think longbows are one of the best UUs.

Arabia 24
Babylon 23
Carthage 19
China 25
England 10
Ethiopia 9
Inca 31
Korea 28
Maya 15
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

It might just be their start bias, but I never seem to have an enjoyable game with the Maya. Odd, because their UA looks great on paper and their UB is awesome.

Inca are just the best, hands down. Hills start bias means lots of production, the terrace farm means lots of food - they can have a decent sized empire consisting largely of industrial powerhouse cities, which I think is by far the most enjoyable way to play.

Honorable mention to Carthage, as I really enjoy their playstyle.

Arabia 24
Babylon 23
Carthage 17
China 25
England 10
Ethiopia 9
Inca 31
Korea 28
Maya 16
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

carthage as usual do not understand how they went so far
maya .... honnestly who never played and win with them ;) ICS FTW ;)

Arabia 24
Babylon 23
Carthage 17
China 25
England 10
Ethiopia 10
Inca 31
Korea 26
Maya 16
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 1
Siam 19

Ethiopia : His UB is incredible. I always got powerful games with this civ. Snowballing is easier.

Korea : His UU doesn't impress me. His UA isn't bad but just appears to be powerful a bit late. So early on this civ is pretty average. And early on it's important to get an edge somewhere. You can be a lot hurt before you can really leverage this civ.

Arabia 24
Babylon 23
Carthage 17
China 25
England 10
Ethiopia 10
Inca 31
Korea 26 24
Maya 16
Netherlands 21
Persia 22
Roman Empire 2
Siam 19

The longest lived and greatest empire in human history deserves not to be eliminated so soon! They still have one of the best UAs in the game, and Legions and Ballistae can pull you through the entire middle ages with little trouble, opening up interesting tech paths!

Korea is boring. It takes almost no effort at all to maintain tech parity, even on very high difficulties.

Maybe a bit of this taking place? "Some 10 million American men—fully 7 percent of the male population—either cannot distinguish red from green, or see red and green differently from most people. This is the commonest form of color blindness" or just difference in monitors. On my screen it is extremely challenging to differentiate between barbs and Ethiopia, but my gf states she sees them very distinctly from one another, so maybe I have a mild form of colour blindness for green.

Well, I'm Canadian, so your research doesn't apply to me, and I have a hard time with the colour differentiation, so it's a fact and your girlfriend is just playing you. :lol:

Arabia 24
Babylon 23
Carthage 17
China 25
England 10
Ethiopia 11
Inca 31
Korea 24
Maya 16
Netherlands 21
Persia 20
Roman Empire 2
Siam 19

ETHIOPIA: Ras Tafari is a badass, as well as a smart leader ahead of his time. It's funny that he will go for Christianity though. I know the Ethiopian Orthodox church is ancient, but I always think of Falashas = Judaism, and Rastas = pseudo-Judaism.

PERSIA: I tried a game with them again last night just for kicks (actually, I got them in a Random start), and quit after 6 turns. I started with marches (again, with a desert to the north. Huzzah. They may not have a start bias, but I ALWAYS get marshes with them.

Arabia 24
Babylon 23
Carthage 17
China 25
England 10
Ethiopia 11
Inca 31
Korea 25 (+1)
Maya 16
Netherlands 21
Persia 20
Roman Empire 0 (-2)
Siam 19

I can't say I have any negatives on this list of civs - they all got something good to offer... okay, bye bye Roma Amigos

But the Koreans have me suckered in for their Turdleships and medieval rocket artillery. Fun set of units, 'em!:D

i dont think you can just upvote something. you need to include a downvote for every upvote.

i dont think you can just upvote something. you need to include a downvote for every upvote.

Hmm...

Oh well, poor Romans.:(

You really think people made new accounts to boost up their favorite civ? If thats true.... I don't even know how to describe how sad that is.

Extremely special brand of sad, 'tis is. On par with stalking accounts and whatnot.

Top Bottom