[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Corporations are hardly secret societies. The apocalypse stuff about meteor strikes is not something I would call a new "mechanic". I sure do hope we get something more than "try it once for the sake of novelty and then forget about it", but I do think that's gonna be it.

If we are getting Bermuda Traingles and casual Meteors wiping cities and Sorcerers casting down Meteors, it's not crazy that the Corporations might be tied to some Illuminati stuff, since most of these cospiration theories tie them with big corporations taking over the world. We already had some secret society stuff with ARC symbol and Espionage missions in Beyond Earth. I wouldn't be surprised If it added Economic Victory in style of becoming the grey eminence that creates Monopoly through which it controls the flow of world's lifeblood - MONAY.

I will say regarding the DLL, I love your content and mods and so while I definitely resonate with your disappointment, I do still hope YnAMP continues to be updated, I think for me and many other it is definitely the most used mod we have. Some of my favorite mods of yours actually didn't require the DLL much (For instance, I loved your Modern Civilizations mod) so hopefully you don't get too disheartened and can still find things to work on that interest you within the community :)
Problem is I need it, without it, all my other mods are useless for me. What should I do ? Work on something I don't like for free ? Ask for money ? nah, I've one job that's enough.

My motivation with civ6 modding was its great potential from the initial tools, but without the DLL planned it's now officially just a wasted potential.

I'm looking for someone with Lua knowledge to keep YnAMP updated, posted in the mod's thread and on Steam, pass the message around...

Secret societies could also mean rebels with an agenda, It's so boring that on the later eras "rebels" are just modern barbarians, secret societies could mean that you could spawn rebels that actually want to acomplish something, like an independent city, directly joining another empire, religious conversion, voting for certain resolutions or even forcing other civs to give you diplo points.

It would be nice to have partisans actually be useful.

The no DLL thing is the constant reminder that we are not exploring the game provided by friends. But that we are dealing with big business.

It is a BAD approach to business. Does more hurt than good. Paradox does give you both. Many DLCs, and FULL modding possibilities. Including AI.

I would have no problem with that if Firaxis could provide us good and challenging AI. Vox Populi etc. But if they do not want to let others (modders) provide it to us? They do not want to do others a dirty job for them? They should fix it in the first place! I don't need to buy new leaders! I want them to fix the game that I paid for much money already.

Mostly I'm just worried constant updates, instead of one big expansion, will continuously be breaking mods that I use.

Looking forward to the Maya, could care less about Gran Columbia.

Long time lurker, first time poster. Hi everyone.

Here's my take on the New Frontier Pass civs:

The AssemblingTyphoon leak mentioned six civs, Maya, Byzantium, Portugal, Assyria/Babylon, a Native American Civ, and Ethiopia.

Ethiopia and Maya are confirmed, and Gran Colombia is one of the two civs that wasn't in the leak. If the leak is correct, that leaves one mystery civ.

I like the idea of the packs being region-themed, but I think it might be to soon to tell. Let's assume that they are though as it makes for more interesting speculation.

Pack 1
2 civilizations - Maya & Gran Colombia
New City-States - Palenque replacement from the same region, six additional City-States. Honestly, if the packs are indeed region themed, I think the City-States will be an exception
New Resources - there is a new resource in the screenshots that kind of looks like maize.
New Natural Wonders - Paititi, the Fountain of Youth, Bermuda Triangle. I guess they're kinda connected to the same region?

Pack 2
1 civilization - Ethiopia
1 new district and 2 buildings - the 2 new buildings very likely belong to the new district. Since the game mode requires an expansion I assume it's related to Rise & Fall Mechanics. Maybe some kind of embassy district that uses governors in some capacity?

Pack 3 - Europe
2 civilizations - Byzantium, Portugal.
New World Wonders - Statue of Zeus could be one of them, Notre Dame could be another. Both frequently requested

Pack 4 - North America
1 new civilization - Native American Civ (Iroquois?)
Numerous new Great People - the word 'numerous' is very interesting. People often bring up the idea of a replacement for Great Prophets, maybe they're adding Great Theologians or something similar.
New City-States

Pack 5 - Asia
1 civilization - Babylon? Maybe the mystery civ is something more eastern like Vietnam.
1 new leader for (probably) a R&F civ - Could be Kublai Khan for China/Mongolia, very often requested/mentioned in the community simlar to Georgia and Gran Colombia

Pack 6
1 civilization - Either Babylon, or the mystery civ
New World Wonders - no clue.

This is great BIG news finally - thanks Firaxis - and thanks to all the fellow fanatics for keeping hope alive with your many posts on this wonderful subject > more civ content - yeah

Excited, but also a little nervous. The thing I want most (besides civs) is more generic units, like trebuchets and something between swordsmen and muskets. Is there currently no indication of that? Decent civ choices so far (Maya and Ethiopia were must haves, and if we have to have another colonial civ this was probably the one), but I'd probably just turn off apocalypse mode because it's way too fantasy for me, so I'm not yet seeing cause to prefer this over normal DLC or an expansion pack.

From the interview with Anton
'At this time we don’t have plans to release the DLL source code'
Then make plans! This is also immensely disappointing, and essentially singlehandedly confirms that this game will never exceed previous entries in the long term. Why should I invest in a $40 season pass if this is a prognosis for the game that you'd be happy with?

Sounds like the alt leader is for one of Mongolia, Korea, the Cree, the Dutch, Georgia, Mapuche, Scotland, or the Zulu.
My biggest hope is Kublai for Mongolia (and I would love for China as well).
Otherwise maybe Korea or Zulu.
I'd actually be fairly surprised if it wasn't Korea. Kublai would be great, but I'm not sure if they're keen on having more than one "Eleanor", and if they aren't doing that then it'd feel kind of sad. Seondeok, meanwhile, was definitely the most polarizing/controversial of the R&F leaders -- and while you could easily chalk this up to errant Internet toxicity, it still provides them with a specific reason to target them for an alt leader over other civs. It wouldn't be my first choice over the likes of Egypt or China, who could represent completely different eras (and practically civilizations), but it's surely a reason that the marketing team would consider.

This probably means people will be disappointed no matter what (probably Austria fans). I also can't really guess what the two Asian civs would be. Maybe Vietnam? What's the most reasonable choice for the other one?
There are a fair amount of choices for "easy" Asian civs/leaders. Aside from the above-mentioned Mongolia/China/Korea alts, I don't think it's out of the question for Siam to return from V, and there's still another easy "new" option in Burma. Or they could just combine it with whichever Mesopotamian civ gets added, although that'd be about as logical as combining Brazil and the Iroquois just because they happen to be on a connected landmass.

I'd like to imagine that one of the double-packs is Babylon/Assyria, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that. Expecting it'll probably be Babylon in Pack 6, so they can "finish off" with the last perfect-attendance civ. They did that in V with the Zulu, right?

--

In other words, things I'd like to see:
-Plans for the DLL
-New generic units for the "big gaps"
-The ability to actually have a game focused on the Ancient Era for once
-Modules that don't feel too farfetched (secret societies could be fine, but I don't expect much from a mode with Soothsayers as an offensive unit, funny as it is.)
-Probably further content down the line so I can have something to cling to when, invariably, one of the handful of civs I'm really hurting for still gets excluded to make room for every country in the EU, Wales, and Modern New Zealand

Reactions: j51
My prediction

Pack 1: Maya + Colombia
Pack 2: Ethiopia: Spy district / rework. Would explain France being reworked in this DLC
Pack 3: Gauls / Iceni? But the new map suggests a new TSL map in Middle East: Babylon/Assyria i think followed by two new native north american civs: Tlingit/Iroquois or Apache or Powhatan. Doubt it. Might as well be Venice/Genoa or Florence with a TSL map Meditterranean.
Pack 4: This screams Italy to me, as we see a bunch of new city states and (great people). Or it is Byzantium and we see a bunch of Italian new city states.
Pack 5: either Kublai Khan (China/Mongolia) / Vietnam or alt leader Netherlands/Portugal. Maybe a new district focused on colonization or on diseases. Could be Mughals / Kublai Khan as well.
Pack 6: Byzantium. I don't think pack 3 and 6 are in the same region (both new world wonders and maps). One is Asia related, and one is Europe related for sure. Might be the Gauls as well with Notre Dame in it.

Quite sure we will see the Notre Dame and diseases.

Last edited:
Gran Colombia will plug one major hole in the map. Good to see some representation for that corner of the world!

Also I literally took next week off with no plans in mind so now I'm like :D

AFAIK The Black Death originated in Mongolia. So my guess for Pack #5 is: Health District with two new buildings, Pleague mechanic, Mongolia alternative Leader, Asian Civ: many mentoined Vietnam, I'd guess Babylon, though it does not mentoin new CS, so maybe Assyria instead.

My very rough thoughts on how the leaders/Civs might take shape across the remaining 4 packs...

So, putting together the infamous post from AssemblingTyphoon together with the speculation we've been chewing over here (for months now!), we can reasonably expect: Babylon (outside chance of Assyria instead but let's stick with Babylon for now), Portugal, Byzantium. We should probably expect at least another Asian Civ, so I would say Vietnam is the most likely possibility, though there are other contenders.

This uses up 4 of the remaining 5 slots. The last slot is probably going to be one of: a Native American Civ, Italy/Venice, Austria, or another Asian or African Civ (listed in vague probability order).

It appears (though currently unconfirmed) that the packs are organised along regional lines. Additionally, we know the following things about the packs:

- Pack 3 is the only other one with two new Civs, so if our theory about the regional splitting is right, this is the only other region to be represented by 2 new Civs
- Pack 4 is the only other one to add new City-States, and of the new Civ contenders, only Portugal needs to remove a City-State from the base game
- Pack 5 will contain 1 leader that requires R&F, so the betting is it's an alt-leader for an R&F Civ, as well as a new Civ and leader

So here's my speculation, presented in the expectation of being proven wrong over the coming weeks and months:

Pack 3 - BYZANTIUM and BABYLON (Middle East/Central Asia)
I'd argue that Byzantium could go in the Middle East/central Asia category as well as Europe, as could Babylon.

Pack 4 - PORTUGAL (Europe)
This seems to make the most sense given the City-State observation above (credit to @AntSou for spotting this).

Pack 5 - VIETNAM and KUBLAI KHAN (new leader for Mongolia and possibly China - Asia) (again credit to the several posters who thought of this before I did)
I love the idea of another dual-Civ leader, but I actually think he'll just for Mongolia as otherwise R&F wouldn't be required.

Pack 6 - A NATIVE AMERICAN CIV OF YOUR CHOICE (North America) :lol:
I am shamelessly abdicating responsibility for this because frankly I don't know enough about Native American history to suggest a contender, though I hear Iroquois and Sioux the most. I think a plains Civ could be a nice choice.

I am one of the biggest Italy stans on here and I would love to see them, but I'm not quite sure if they fit here. Three Mediterranean cultures in one "expansion" might be something of a stretch, and I can't see how the Frontier Pack is going to omit Portugal or Byzantium :( but I would dearly, dearly love to see Italy, Venice, Genoa, Milan, Florence... heck, something to represent the enormous impact that renaissance Italy has had on Western culture and history.

Last edited:
AFAIK The Black Death originated in Mongolia. So my guess for Pack #5 is: Health District with two new buildings, Pleague mechanic, Mongolia alternative Leader, Asian Civ: many mentoined Vietnam, I'd guess Babylon, though it does not mentoin new CS, so maybe Assyria instead.

I believe when they say "Nex X", it does not consider replacements. a Replacement for the City State usually retains the ability it provides

In the event of the first DLC, we're technically getting seven new City States, but one of them is a reskinned Palenque.

If the new maps are real-world parts of world, then I'd also agree Pack #3 to be Africa or North Africa plus Middle East, fitting with Byzantium and Babylon. Then Pack #6 America and Native American Civ. That sounds plausible, too.

A few things I'm hoping for:
- New disasters as part of free update. Preferably wildfire and tsunami. Tsunamis are great for generating power in latter eras and wildfires destroy the availability of old forests;
- Old forests graphically distinguishable from new forests. Improved mechanics for old forests after conservation;
- One new generic governor and one new Civ with a unique governor;
- A reworked Ages system, with more creative options. The dark age policies are fine but the golden age bonuses and the normal age focuses are bland and repetitive;
- Increased amount of flood-able tiles dependent on Disaster intensity;
- Great People are drawn from an extended pool each game, like City-States, Luxuries and Natural Wonders. There's a fixed amount of each available per era, but you don't know which ones you're getting in each age, or in what order;
- New Luxuries attached to new Great People, Wonders and City-States;
- Improvements to Religion and Diplomacy as part of free update;
- Ability to build districts over strategic/luxury resources;
- Bridge districts with same rules as Golden Gate bridge. Extra gold for trade routes crossing bridges. Make Golden Gate bridge a two tile long bridge;
- Rubber. I want rubber.

I believe when they say "Nex X", it does not consider replacements. a Replacement for the City State usually retains the ability it provides

In the event of the first DLC, we're technically getting seven new City States, but one of them is a reskinned Palenque.

Yeah I wasn't sure with this. Palenque obvious replacement has 'new CS' mentoined, but they also get new district without mentoin so it's safe to assume 'new district' in the roadmap also always means brand new district rather than unique replacement. So it's confusing.

Pack 6 - A NATIVE AMERICAN CIV OF YOUR CHOICE (North America) :lol:
I am shamelessly abdicating responsibility for this because frankly I don't know enough about Native American history to suggest a contender, though I hear Iroquois and Sioux the most. I think a plains Civ could be a nice choice.

I am one of the biggest Italy stans on here and I would love to see them, but I'm not quite sure if they fit here. Three Mediterranean cultures in one "expansion" might be something of a stretch, and I can't see how the Frontier Pack is going to omit Portugal or Byzantium :( but I would dearly, dearly love to see Italy, Venice, Genoa, Milan, Florence... heck, something to represent the enormous impact that renaissance Italy has had on Western culture and history.
We need to be on the lookout and see if Bolonga gets renamed. :D
The Cree are partly a plains tribe, Poundmaker himself was a Plains Cree, so I don't think we need another.

I may as well sum up my thoughts:
  • Always happy to receive new civilisations and leaders. Starting off with the Maya is a great choice! I have my fingers crossed for the Hittites, the Byzantines, Portugal, Italy, and another Native North American representative.
  • It seems Firaxis are going to be delivering content that expands all aspects of the game, from new civs and city-states, to new buildings, districts, natural and world wonders, and even new mechanics. It's basically the equivalent of a 3rd expansion when looked at as one package, the only difference being there is no set theme and the new mechanics are toggleable (which I wish applied to the Loyalty and World Congress systems as they currently exist).
  • I'm on the fence when it comes to "fantasy" elements. On one hand, with the announcement of Humankind which seems to be taking a very historical approach, I'm almost pleased that Firaxis are exploring these more outlandish ideas. On the other hand, the "Soothsayer" unit might be pushing this idea a bit too far. Also, I don't know how Paititi can be considered "natural", and the Bermuda Triangle is literally just a particle effect over an area of water...
  • The "Persona Packs" seem like a complete and utter waste of development time in my opinion. I'd be fine with it if they merely changed up the leader's agendas and abilities, but why did they need new leader models too?! Am I not correct in understanding that leader models are the most expensive part of each civilisation to produce? Why couldn't we have gotten 2 entirely new leaders for existing civs instead? My hopes for a "Classic Leaders" pack seem to be extinguished.
  • Perhaps the best part of this announcement is the guarantee of new content for Civ VI for almost a whole year! And with a release schedule too!

Unpopular opinion: If we are going to get a new North American civ, I'd like to see something like... the Texas Republic, Deseret, or the Confederate States of America. Just out of sheer unconventionality.

I wouldn't say no to Hiawatha coming back and bringing his forest bonuses just in time for forest fires though...

Top Bottom