1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Yep, check the video, it literally disappears out of existence, no ruins or anything.

Yeah, it's quite shady as people buy it with the expectation of mechanic making it in (corporations/disease/etc), only to find out it was never planned. Almost like a lootbox approach with those final packs.

2. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Ah, I see one of the game modes requires *either* expansion, so maybe you're right. I suppose that would have to be the Netherlands, Korea, or Mongolia then?

Netherlands could go with Portugal and say "Western Europe trade/colonization" as a focus. Korea or Mongolia could go with Vietnam and say "Sinosphere/East Asia".

Still seems strange to name it "New Frontier" and not have JFK anywhere in there. New FrontierS would be the more likely name, I'd think.

3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

But their writing (Linear A, and its probable descendant Eteo-Cretan) is still not deciphered and I don't want Minos/Pasiphae/etc to speak in ancient Greek. There's evidence their language wasn't Indo-European. The "Labyrinth" is actually their Palaces (Knossos). They would probably get a unique naval unit instead of the Minotaur. :D

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Republic of San Montuoso

Republic of San Montuoso Prince

It’s all fun and good and, to be honest, I’m OVERHYPED about this (and the new DLC system seems promising), but let’s be serious one moment about all the speculations, and more precisely about this image:

A lot of people are saying that it is a Mayan observatory, meaning that the Mayan UI is a replacement for the campus. Yes, I mean, it can be that. But is it? I think not. Let us decompose this picture, will us?

What I see in this building is red marble, and you CAN’T objectively object it (if you do, you’re a liar, and that’s a fact). The dome over it is also completely distinctive. It says, it screams Basilica. It’s a Basilica, hence a replacement for the Holy Site district. So, here’s the first clue: one of the unique civilization (and shortly released) will be a civilization religion-focused. So, maybe, a Basicila with red marble, is it Byzantium?

Wrong.

The other clue is this other picture:

It seems like the famous Soothsayer we all talk so much about. Byzantium are not really good about soothsaying, because if they were, they wouldn’t have been plundered by some 90 years old blind merchant and would have survived the Ottomans (because, as everyone knows, the biggest weakness of the Ottoman Empire were soothsayers; I know it because I read it on a Wikipedia page I edited so).

So, who might that be? Well, take a look about the soothsayers: if you squint enough, the vehicle-thingy has like two snakes coming out of it. Maybe… dragons? A Scandinavian civ? Don’t be silly, they didn’t had soothsayers, they had lawspeakers. So, which other civilization might it be? Well, it has to be a civilization that has something to do with snakes. In the sense of a civilization that has a very peculiar myth that a holy man just throw the snakes out of the island with the help of a holy salmon? Saint Patrick, anyone?

We have another clue that I drag in it without any basis or relation with the other, but it's not that that will stops me. We’re here to speculate after all. And this clue is: secret societies. “But”, will you say in your bewildering naïveté, “secret societies are tied to Ethiopia!”. And you’re RIGHT. But what are Ethiopian famous for, besides proving once again that Italian are the laughing stock of modern era European powers? Christianity. And which other people were known for their love of Christianity? Ireland.

And thus, will all this clues – clues that I won’t put side to side because you might see that the reasoning stands on nothing but my wild imagination – we have the undeniable and absolute proof that Ireland, led by Saint Patrick, will be one of the new civilizations.

Another victory for logic. Yeah.

5. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I know, but that's why I said it would work in a Mythology spinoff. :p
    Anyway I'll leave it at that since we are talking about Civ 6.

It's a Maya campus replacement.

6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

New Frontier has a bunch of possible double meanings. Don't know which ones apply:

- The fact that it's a new approach that Firaxis is taking in regards to content. A new frontier for the series itself;
    - JFK;
    - Colonisation;
    - American western expansion;
    - Future Tech and Space exploration.

Jeppetto and MagGlb like this.
  7. returnofbabylon

returnofbabylon Chieftain

Nice to finally have some clarity on what's happening. Overall, I'd say I'm disappointed.

Persona Packs seem like a complete waste of time. As that's the only bonus content from buying the pass and the discount is trivial, I'll probably wait until they're all released and maybe a final patch comes out to fix whatever bugs get introduced before purchasing. But perhaps the current bugs staying in the game for 8 months just has me in a sour mood on that front.

It looks like we're going to get a third expansions' worth of leaders, but not a third expansions' worth of content, and it'll also take an additional year. My most desired feature, an economic victory, also seems dead in the water, though I suppose we'll see. Gran Colombia/fantasy features are pretty meh additions from my perspective, though I'll have to buy the package eventually to get Maya.

It's hard for me to imagine that a third expansion wouldn't have resulted in a better end product. Oh well. Glad to see the rest of the community is so excited :thumbsup:

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it's just because they've never done anything like this before.

Jeppetto, Inawordyes, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  9. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I don't think he was being serious about his speculation...:p

10. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon King

Yes, he did if you read the context.
    First of all, they do not want third expansion, because they think more mechanics could overwhelm the game and bring balance issues. It is a design philosophy. You rather don't change your core philosophy overnight. That's why they decided to make this DLC Pass.
    Second of all developing is a long term process. They are investing their resources in a Season DLC now. If they are not planing third expansion now, there is no chance it will be done in two years.
    DLC Pass is a test planned for this year. If its revenue would be surprisingly good maybe they would decide to milk the game one more year with a second season. They will know the answer until the summer. Then they can decide either this or start working on Civ VII. There is no room for a third expansion.

11. Connor_CivFan

Connor_CivFan Chieftain

If my theory about Modes being mechanics is true then we will almost certainly be getting an expansions worht of new content.

12. Spaceturtle

Spaceturtle Chieftain

I agree with Firaxis... Civ 6 doesn't need more systems and mechanics. It's already quite bloated, and more mechanics would only overcomplicate things and make everything more tedious. People here and on other forums insist on "diseases", but I don't think they would be that interesting (and they would be kind of inappropiate right now, lol).

I've never expected a 3rd expansion, so this is a welcome "cherry on top".

I agree on the complaints about the late game, but I don't think that can be fixed just by adding more stuff. It's just the way the game is. Hopefully it will be fixed in a Civilization 7 that will be really revolutionary for the series (Humankind, Old World and Paradox's games are tough competition and Civ will have to reinvent itself)

I would LOVE if one of the new updates includes a complete reimagining of the world congress though. It's still one of the most disappointing and boring features of the game for me.

Also, random narrative events could be cool... and seem like something that could fit in the scope of this updates (a man can dream...)

Anyway, this 6 new modes being modular addons to the base game instead of scenarios sounds really promising. It might really spice up the game.

Guandao, Haig, Hawke9 and 1 other person like this.
  13. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

People are saying that's the soothsayer- is that confirmed? My first thought was that was secret society related, rather than the soothsayer which I thought was associated with the apocalypse.

14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Actually, there is considerable speculation now that 'Minos' wasn't a name as all, but a title: The Minos of Crete. They can ignore that, of course, and go with the Mythology whole hog. The biggest difference among the Minoans, 'Harappans' (Indus Valley Civilization), and Olmecs is that at least a Minoan Crete civilization can have something resembling a real City List - the Greeks simply 're-used' a lot of originally-Minoan place names, whereas the other two civs have left us almost no clues as to their original city names. I am still waiting to see how Humankind with its Harappan and Olmec Factions will get around this . . .

First thing that sprang to mind when looking at all the new stff in the screenshots: the apparent (Gran) Columbia 'Hacienda/Hazienda Unique Improvement means (to me) that a Modern Mexico Mod Civ could be cobbled together from Spare Parts without too much trouble by even the most clumsy Modder.

Next thing, having just finished reading a couple of older books on T. Roosevelt and the Pre-WWI Turn of the 19th/20th centuries, is which of several directions they can go with a Remodeled TR:
    Peacemaker. He virtually forced Japan and Russia to the bargaining table to end their war in 1905 - 06: Would be interesting to see a Leader who can force a negotiated end to a war in which he is NOT a participant!
    Colonialist/Expansionist. TR was pretty bellicose before he got into the White House Hot Seat, advocating major naval arms increases, foreign colonies (including seizing Cuba as an adjunct to the Panama Canal) - could result in a very 'bellicose' USA Civ under him
    Reformer - TR hammered the 'Trusts' (monopoly capitalists) of his Era, could, in contrast to the other two, be an 'inward' Leader focused on Economics and 'Amenities' (Social Reform = Happiness in the citizenry).

Guandao and TahamiTsunami like this.
  15. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

If it was, then I'd expect it to be at least somewhat Blue, not Brown. Remember their philosophy of having the districts be easily readable. Brown is Industrial Zones, while Blue is Campus. Maybe they just haven't finished a Blue tiling on the roofs or something...

I would expect that to be called New Frontiers with an S then.

16. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

New Frontier sound like a new limitation to me, a new limit you should not cross to prevent you running into the wild wild DLL territory of civ4 and civ5 modding.

Meluhhan and Elhoim like this.
  17. Bechhold

Bechhold King

I have to say the Soothsayer Unit sounds dumb as ****. Hopefully it can be turned off/disabled.

Pistol90 likes this.
  18. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

They've described the game modes, which it seems to come from, as modular and optional.

19. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

If it works like in Endless Legend, it is the regions which have names, and the city is automatically named the same as the region. Works in EL because fantasy names work for all the factions, but would be a bit strange in a historical game. However, they could still use similar-culture names near each other, and use the same system as EL. Besides, if I found a city like Athens and then become the Aztecs and found Tenochtitlan next door, isn't that already just as strange?

Peacemaker could be cool, though his agenda already sorta does that as-is. Colonialist is possible, though his ability actually encourages that already. Reformer would work well with some economics-focused mechanics, which I suppose could come with the "Secret Societies" stuff, though the Persona pack is not supposed to be linked to the Ethiopia pack, just released simultaneously, afaik. Hmm...

20. Jkchart

Jkchart King

Ethiopia is in fact confirmed as per what we've seen. It's the second DLC pack.

EDIT: Lol now I see the part about Ireland. I don't entirely buy it, but I would dig it.