1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Okay I guess I will grant this as another replacement.

2. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I didn't think about the Barbary Corsair.
    I agree that Mali and Nubia might not impact a Berber/Numidia civ at all but I think conceptually they decided Morocco would definitely at least feel closer to Mali.
    Nubia was more on the fact that they are another North Africa civ that's not Egypt.

Well considering Nintendo is Japanese, I am assuming felt the need to put Japan in the SNES version of the game in order to release it. The Zulu I guess were the most expendable and I guess it was just Egypt for Africa, unless you played the PC version where the Zulu were in it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020
  3. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

well, the hapsburgs did basically run the HRE for 300 years

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  4. Yubnub

Yubnub Chieftain

Some thoughts focused around existing city-states, apologies if someone has already posted something similar. For the record, I'm simply gauging the likelihood of a city-state become a civilization and not their worthiness.

City-states with unique improvements:

Armagh (Ireland)*
    Caguana (Taino)
    Cahokia (Mississippian)
    Granada (Spain)*
    La Venta (Olmec)
    Nazca
    Rapa Nui

City-states with unique improvements have never been "upgraded" to civilization status.

City-states that replaced city-states which became full-fledged civilizations:

Bandar Brunei (Brunei)
    Antioch (Byzantine)*
    Babylon
    Bologna (Italy)*
    Mexico City (Mexico)
    Ngazaragmu (Kanem-Bornu)
    Mitla (Zapotec)

These city states have never been upgraded either.

City-states with a unique unit:

Lahore (Punjab)

The only city-state with a unique unit, but it seems unlikely to become a civilization.

City-states with general buffs have been upgraded to civilization status in the past, and their effects have been passed down to their replacement.
    I've organized them into different categories.

City-states that are unlikely to become civilizations:

Antananarivo (Madagascar)
    Auckland (New Zealand)
    Cardiff (Wales)
    Geneva (Swizterland)
    Hong Kong
    Hunza
    Jerusalem (Israel)
    Kandy (Sri Lanka)
    Mohenjo-Daro
    Muscat (Oman)
    Nan Madol
    Preslav (Bulgaria)
    Singapore
    Taruga (Nigeria/Nok)
    Valleta (Malta)
    Vatican City
    Vilnius (Lithuania)
    Yerevan (Armenia)
    Zanzibar (Tanzania)

These city-states are generally either actual city-states, or part of a smaller, but important, culture. Oh, and Israel. This isn't to say that one can't make an argument for the inclusion of a Madagascar or Armenia civ, for example, but it seems unlikely to me.

City-states which have been part of civilizations in past civ titles:

Fez (Morocco)
    Hattusa (Hittite)
    Lisbon (Portugal)

These city-states are very likely to become civilizations. Portugal has been been in Civ since 3 and is almost guaranteed to be in at some point. Morocco was introduced in 5 and has not been "replaced" by another civ in some way like other civs have. Hattusa is a Fertile Crescent/Mesopotamian civ and it is highly likely that another one of this type of civ is likely to make it in the NF pass.

City-states which have not been civilizations in past titles, but which are significant enough that there is a, albeit small, possibility to become civilizations.

Akkad (Akkadian)
    Brussels (Belgium)
    Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Kumasi (Ghana/Ashanti)

Akkad (or Hattusa) is more likely to fill the role of Fertile Crescent/Mesopotamian civ than Babylon.
    Gran Colombia has likely filled the role of modern Latin American Civ over Argentina.
    Ethiopia has likely filled the role of a sub-Saharan African civ over Ghana/Ashanti.
    Lisbon is more likely to fill the roll of a Western European civ than Brussels.

*Armagh is in Northern Ireland; if there is an Irish civ, it would not be so strange to keep it as a city-state. Similarly, Antioch has been part of the Byzantine city list, but it can coexist alongside a Byzantine civ just like Granada with Spain, or a theoretical Italian civ and Bologna.

TLDR: Of the existing city-states, Lisbon (Portugal) is likely to be upgraded to civ status. Fez (Morocco) has a good chance as well. Either Hattusa (Hittite) or Akkad are more likely to be upgraded than Babylon.

Meluhhan, conorbebe, Xandinho and 3 others like this.
  5. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

you ignored the babylon city state in returning city states

6. Alexander's Hetaroi

The way Granada is designed, by granting the suzerain bonus to building an Alcazar improvement, I would say it is supposed to represent Al Andalus or the Emirate of Granada, considering it was on Spain's city list at launch then removed later.

I still think Armagh would be an Irish city since Northern Ireland has only existed for 99 years and was part of united Ireland for much longer.
    Plus it's the ecclesiastical capital of Ireland and legendary home of St. Patrick. Who's more Irish than St. Patrick? :mischief:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  7. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

St. Patrick was Romano-British. :mischief:

8. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

I would place Antananarivo/Madagascar, Preslav/Bulgaria and Hunza/Muisca in the category of significant enough to become civilization (perhaps not in NFP, but in a future round of passes or editions of the game). I think they are more likely than Belgium.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  9. Alexander's Hetaroi

His Irish home when he made it to Ireland is what I mean. :p

Thenewwwguy likes this.
  10. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I find it odd that everyone keeps classifying Antioch as representing Byzantium. It feels more Seleucid to me.

I would classify Muscat (Oman)/Zanziber (Kilwa) and Preslav (Bulgaria) as being reasonably probable given how large and enduring their empires were in regions that aren't culturally represented very well. I would also throw out Yerevan (Armenia) as being a dark horse option over Assyria, and Antananarivo (Madagascar) as possibly being included over Oman/Swahili/Kilwa. Outside of those I would agree that the rest are quite unlikely.

I wouldn't necessarily say that city-states which were previously civs are "likely" to get in, besides Lisbon (Portugal). Both Hattusa (Hittites) and Babylon co-occupy a lot of space with the Ottomans and Sumeria, and the comfortable Mesopotamian option appears to be Assyria. And while Morocco does stand out as one of the only civs from V which has not been "replaced" by another civ (such as Austria (Hungary), Denmark (Norway), Celts (Scotland), Huns (Scythia), Carthage (Phoenicia), Songhai (Mali), Siam (Khmer), Polynesia (Maori), etc.), the Fez city-state combined with the Moroccan flag on the diplo vic screen suggests that Morocco will not return itself, but would be replaced by a Berber/Numidia civ.

I generally agree with your conclusions, even though they are somewhat cherry-picked to exclude options like Oman and Bulgaria, and favor quite odd selections like Belgium and Argentina. If we are just looking at city-states, Akkadia and Hattusa are more likely than Babylon, but none are as likely as Assyria. Gran Colombia serves an almost identical niche as Argentina would, and was generally the stronger option; no Argentina. And Belgium is no more likely to happen than Ireland, Switzerland, or Finland, so of course Lisbon is more likely.

Given that there are two pockets of potential Sub-Saharan civs, along the Guinea and Swahili coasts, I don't think Ethiopia's inclusion means anything. Especially since Ethiopia is practically a staple at this point and doesn't really need to compete for "new" slots.

11. Alexander's Hetaroi

I don't know if they are going to plan on the Muisca getting in after we just got the city-state in NFP. Though I guess I agree that it still would be more likely than Belgium. :)

It's probably because Antioch was on the Byzantine city list in 4 and 5. I can still see Antioch staying if the Byzantines get in or replaced if they have another city in mind that can fit the bonus which is easy enough to do.

Jkchart, Xandinho and PhoenicianGold like this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

When I think of civs that could benefit from a second leader, the Zulu certainly top that list. :p Maybe we can finally ditch Shaka in Civ7, but if we do I kind of hope we ditch the Zulu altogether. Meanwhile, the one-trickiest of one-trick Dom civs would get zero benefit from an alternate leader; of all the R&F civs, I consider only the Mapuche less likely to a get a second leader (the Cree are about on par with the Zulu in the sense that they have other good candidates but don't really have a compelling reason to get one).

Thenewwwguy and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  13. mitsho

mitsho Deity

From the Patch thread, we‘ve got a Hint for the next civs. Or not, I don‘t know, but it doesn‘t seem to have been posted here... :)

conorbebe likes this.
  14. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

Is that actually a hint lol? I doubt we are getting the Vikings, Celts, Sioux, or Babylon.

(Although I would not have minded if we had skipped the Cree and brought the Sioux back...)

15. mitsho

mitsho Deity

It‘s probably only an easter egg, but it could be... :lol:

I just like the speculation here...

16. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

We already have Vikings with Hardrada.

And Gaul, Babylon and/or a Native American tribe such as the Sioux are all certainly still possible.

SMcM and conorbebe like this.
  17. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

It could be a hint for Babylon, but I don't think it is.

I appreciate that they found a way to give us a Plains tribe without being another horse raider civ so I'm pleased to have the Cree rather than the Lakhota or Sioux or whatever they chose to call the civ.

18. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

In the Ethiopia patch notes discussion, someone has pointed out a read me referencing Vietnam and Kublai (as an example, so there's nothing definitive). Which is probably my biggest hope for a possible pack, and would make me ecstatic.

19. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

This is much more of a hint than the relics of the void, IMHO.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

And a person on the next page shows the readme for the Ethiopia pack that says Ethiopia and Menelik.

Hawke9 and conorbebe like this.