[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

my dream scenario is september is an indian ocean pack with swahili and chola

it won’t happen but imagine if it did that would be so hype

I am fine with any other non-European civs... Although I have serious doubts on Africa since we already did that with Ethiopia. Granted we kinda know Vietnam will be a thing in January so I don't know which continent will have it's turn to shine.

my dream scenario is september is an indian ocean pack with swahili and chola

it won’t happen but imagine if it did that would be so hype

Fumo Liyongo and Sembiyan Mahadevi. :p

While I want more maritime civs, I also think that it would be kind of difficult to make the Swahili/Oman and Chola occupy different niches in the same expansion pack. Never say never though.

Could the Berbers get a camel UU? They had a camel archer in AoE II. That might make them sufficiently different from Mali...

Could the Berbers get a camel UU? They had a camel archer in AoE II. That might make them sufficiently different from Mali...
The Berbers are more famous for their horses, but yeah, a camel UU wouldn't be entirely inappropriate.

They could but I feel like they were more well known for their horsemanship, especially Numidia.
If anything I feel like Arabia should have gotten a camel UU again considering we had no idea there were going to be so many horse units in Africa/Middle East.

They could but I feel like they were more well known for their horsemanship, especially Numidia.
If anything I feel like Arabia should have gotten a camel UU again considering we had no idea there were going to be so many horse units in Africa/Middle East.

Or Mali, even.

In fact, I'm generally disappointed that even after four years of expansion content, the devs haven't really branched out much from the standard military UU formula. They've given some civs more than one UU, but they haven't given any civs anything along the lines of a medic UU, religious UU, or trader UU. Mali, for instance, would have been great with a trader UU.

I was reading last night that Yusef ibn Tashfin brought a contingent of camel cavalry to Iberia to help him resist the reconquista/purge the soft, indulgent Arabs from Andalusia.

I was really pulling for Yusuf before Morocco was effectively disconfirmed. I still think it would be overall easier to design a Berber-led Morocco than the Berbers alone, since there would be a stronger naval element as well as more convenient Arabic structures to pull from like the Kasbah or Medina Quarter.

I was really pulling for Yusuf before Morocco was effectively disconfirmed. I still think it would be overall easier to design a Berber-led Morocco than the Berbers alone, since there would be a stronger naval element as well as more convenient Arabic structures to pull from like the Kasbah or Medina Quarter.

Tashfin is my favorite Almavorid leader*. I was hoping for him in Civ V.

*The kind of statement you rarely hear outside of a Civ fan community.

Or Mali, even.

In fact, I'm generally disappointed that even after four years of expansion content, the devs haven't really branched out much from the standard military UU formula. They've given some civs more than one UU, but they haven't given any civs anything along the lines of a medic UU, religious UU, or trader UU. Mali, for instance, would have been great with a trader UU.
I'm pretty sure the only non combat UU we've gotten in Civ 6 is Bolivar's Comandante General, which is still combat related.

I prefer UU's to be combat related but I wouldn't mind other varieties as long as they have at least one UU used for combat. Like I think Eleanor with a traveling Troubador UU would have been great.

If they hadn't gone for the Mandekalu Cavalry again for Mali I would have preferred the Sofa for a UU. Initially they were the cavalry caretakers but then were used in the swampy and forested places where it was harder for the cavalry to use. They used bow and arrows tipped with poison or sometimes flaming arrows. I think they could have least got combat strength from being adjacent to cavalry units. Of course they would also be another unit that was originally taken as slaves similar to the Mamluk or Janissaries.

Tang was fully ethnically Chinese insofar as Chinese, in the northern states, was concerned. If you were to trace their ancestry, you would probably end up mixed between somewhere in the steppes and the Han homelands but if you were to use that distinction, then quite a lot of Chinese dynasties would very quickly end up foreign/invader/conqueror role.

Though speaking of people north of China, it would be pretty cool to have Jurchens/Manchu in Civ at some point. They've played a pretty big role throughout history and definitely qualify for even the oldest of Civ's requirements of a culture. They have an (endangered) language the leader could speak, they've created their own script. They've been a constant in Manchuria, have a looong history with Koreans (Jurchens - Koreans are kind of the same eternal duo as Monglians - Chinese).
Set up a good bunch of states: Goguryeo (probably a Koreanic state, but it definitely included and shaped these people), state of Balhae (another mixed Goguryo-Jurchen state, interacted with Tang, later Korean kingdoms as well as the Japanese of their time, all of whom wrote about the place), Jin dynasty (built the northern Great Wall, but Mongols had some unfinished business with the Jurchens right around this Genghis Khan fella'), Manchukuo (if you wanna count, keeping in mind there are still Manchukuoans living today) and of course the later Jin/Qing dynasty, which hopefully needs no introduction.
These guys also had a hand in the founding of the Joseon dynasty (you know, Sejong and stuff) as the dynasty's founder was, much like in the case of Tang, a Jurchen from the later days of Yuan and Goryeo (which itself was led by the Mongolian khan's cousins), and later when Qing came to power, all Joseon kings had to grow up with in the Jurchen (now Manchu) royal court, married at least one Jurchen princess and so on. As it happens, they were also the only people, until the US, to invade and occupy any portion of mainland Japan (yes, Jurchens did successfully occupy part of Kyuushu and had the imperial army drive them out).

They definitely have qualifications well beyond places like Cananda or one-hit wonders like the Huns as far as Civ is concerned and it would be nice, if highly unlikely, to see them represented as something other than some weird nobodies appearing out of thin air and taking over China, inventing the qipao and then getting by and large sinicised by the modern day. Plus points for at least once in history actually showing something related to Korean history that's not them being the tiny nobody between Japan and China (We got Silla and it was just repainted Joseon with a queen whose sole accomplishment is giving Tang the backdoor needed to succeed where Sui had failed).
But yeah, using Cixi as their leader would probably not work out well. :D

I mean my whole point it's there were lot of conquest dynasties in China (noted, "conquest dynasty" is an established academic term), and the sinicization process of these foreign rulers often happened very late. The Northern States or Northern Dynasties are generally considered as non-Chinese - or non-Han-Chinese specifically - by modern historians, both Chinese and Western historians alike. Tang was definitely more "Chinese" than them, but still less "Chinese" compared to dynasties such as Song and Ming. Anyway that's a serious topic in historical study of China, and I'm inclined to give a full-blown academic talk here.

Speaking of Jurchens, that's a really interesting choice in terms of representing more of the steppe people. The Jurchens are definitely a group that have an huge impact on Northeastern Asia throughout the history. Designwise, for instance, you can have a Jin leader with a civ ability that is a nod to Qing rule.

However, I would still like to insert some historical knowledge here - it is still unclear whether Manchus and Jurchens are the same, continued group of people. Chinese sources since Liao tend to refer all the ethnic groups outside the Great Wall and east of the Mongols as "Jurchens", like how European sources referred all the North African Muslims as "Moors".

I just want to point out that a lot of pre-modern steppe groups were very inhomogeneous and subject to debate, that's what we should aware when talking about possible civs. We do have Scythians, but IIRC not without people questioning about it.

Unlike Plaid and Zoom, MoorTires feels too deliberate to be totally random, so I am inclined to agree with speculation over the name

Plaid and Zoom aren't even random. They made sense as a hint that something was coming fast in the pre-announcement days. (Plaid is a reference to Plaid Speed from Spaceballs)

I was reading last night that Yusef ibn Tashfin brought a contingent of camel cavalry to Iberia to help him resist the reconquista/purge the soft, indulgent Arabs from Andalusia.

For camel cavalry, there was an interesting military use of camels: Zamburak, or camel-mounted self-propelled artillery.

It was heavily used by Timurid Empire, other Indian states, as well as Afsharid dynasty around 18 century; if we get a Timurid civ in the future, we can have this pre-modern camel tank as the UU.

Last edited:
For camel cavalry, there was an interesting military use of camels: Zamburak, or camel-mounted self-propelled artillery.

It was heavily used by Timurid Empire, other Indian states, as well as Afsharid dynasty around 18 century; if we get a Timurid civ in the future, we can have this pre-modern camel tank as the UU.

Timurids, coming out of nowhere. That's how they getchya. I wholly support a Timurid camel civ.

Speaking of Jurchens, that's a really interesting choice in terms of representing more of the steppe people. The Jurchens are definitely a group that have an huge impact on Northeastern Asia throughout the history. Designwise, for instance, you can have a Jin leader with a civ ability that is a nod to Qing rule.

Yeah, I'm not aware of anything militarily well-known employed by these people before the Qing bannermen.

However, I would still like to insert some historical knowledge here - it is still unclear whether Manchus and Jurchens are the same, continued group of people. Chinese sources since Liao tend to refer all the ethnic groups outside the Great Wall and east of the Mongols as "Jurchens", like how European sources referred all the North African Muslims as "Moors".

I just want to point out that a lot of pre-modern steppe groups were very inhomogeneous and subject to debate, that's what we should aware when talking about possible civs. We do have Scythians, but IIRC not without people questioning about it.

I do think the linguistic link between the Jurchen (from the inscriptions in Jurchen script and glosses as early as Jin dynasty) and Manchu languages isn't up to contention, though? Jin dynasty was even noted for having queue styled hair, IIRC. Like, sure, there's not much an ordinary Chinese could do to tell the Jurchen, Khitans and Mongolian people living in and around Manchuria apart, but given that the Japanese, Koreans, Chinese and even Mongolians (during Yuan rule) refer to them specifically at various points, I don't think it's in the same ballpark as the famed "Eastern Barbarians" and of course, there aren't any Turkic languages left in the area so whatever happened after Liao, they probably didn't stick around for long.

The Zamburak can also works for a Afghan/Pashto civilization, considering the Hotak-Durrani-Emirate of Afghanistan.

Afghans also have the advantege of be a way better know name that Timurids for the general public.

Top Bottom