1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I think it would be neat for a UU to have terrain based stealth. Like the Vietcong could have stealth in rainforest. Iroquois unique Musketman could have stealth in Woods. A Moorish cavalry unit or an Apache archer unit could have stealth in the desert.

8housesofelixir and Txomin like this.
  2. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir King

Kampung is among the very few UIs that give 1 full housing and a lot of foods easily. (Compare: Outback Station and Polder only give 0.5 housing; Hacienda give 1 housing but it has a lower food output; Stepwell have more housing but only +2 food maximum before modern techs; Polder have good adjacency bonuses but it is hard to have a Polder triangle; only Outback Station and Mekewap can beat Kampung in food due to adjacency bonuses, and Mekewap is one of the best UI.)

Sure, Indonesia will spread out more on a lot of small islands; but these island cities can easily have a 10+ population long before the introduction of Seastead, so I would consider them as tall.

3. Txomin

Txomin Warlord

Stealth in desert would be a really fun ability. Can't cut those down!

4. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

Would an Argentine civ make sense?

Cooleatack likes this.
  5. Birch617

Birch617 Chieftain

6. Eagle Pursuit

It would be a good cultural civ. And one of the few options from the Americas with a female leader.

7. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

If you’re talking about Eva Peron it might be too controversial due to the fact that her husband, Juan Peron, helped German officers flee, and made an ideology many Argentines say ruined the country.

sweetbrown89 and Cooleatack like this.
  8. Eagle Pursuit

I didn't say it was a good option.

Jkchart, 8housesofelixir and AaronTBD like this.
  9. Birch617

Birch617 Chieftain

I mean i think if Argentina gets in the game its very probable that she leads them, Bolivar already fills that South American libertador role for a leader, and at least Eva did some good things on her own, especially for south american suffrage,

10. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

True I guess it's just her husband's fault, not hers.

11. Txomin

Txomin Warlord

Argentina is certainly a likely choice for a South American civ in the future I feel it's likely to show up in civ7. Honestly I was surprised Gran Colombia was chosen over them, though I do like Gran Colombia.

12. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

Their UU would probably be a Gaucho, but I don't know what their UI would be.

13. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Tango Salon as a late game cultural building.

I agree that they most likely will not show up for Civ 6 but possibly for Civ 7.

14. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Same as Gran Colombia - a Hacienda.

Argentina won't happen until Civ 7 (where they'll definitely happen)

8housesofelixir likes this.
  15. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

Yeah you guys might be right

16. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

As @Alexander's Hetaroi said, Tango Salon/Tanguería would make more sense as a unique building for Argentina, especially because it represents a very iconic aspect in culture's Argentina.

Anyway, I think Argentina would be more appropriate if the game had a migration mechanism, which may be in Civ7.

17. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

A Madagascar civ would be nice to see in civ 6 I don't know too much of it though.

18. Eagle Pursuit

Another female leader candidate there, Ranavelona. Although, she had some troubling violence against her own people, iirc.

Xandinho and Thenewwwguy like this.
  19. Thenewwwguy

Thenewwwguy Emperor

to be fair, so did Menelik, Basil II, Theo Roosevelt, Wilfred Laurier and even Gandhi

20. Andrew Johnson [FXS]

Andrew Johnson [FXS] Chieftain

A couple things (also re: "Vietcong"). Do note that I am writing to you as a Southeast Asian historian, not as a representative of Firaxis.

Firstly, be careful with your "double-faced" term there. Nationalist histories have a way of representing their neighbors. In Finnish history (full disclosure: minun isä on suomalainen), the Russians are always aggressive and corrupt and the Swedes are always foolish and pompous, whereas in Swedish history, the Finns are witches and in Russian history the Finns are crazy knife-wielding maniacs. Similarly in Thai history the Burmese are violent and the Khmer are sneaky. AND similarly in Chinese histories the Vietnamese are sneaky. But these are attempts to make stock characters in a story that nations want to tell themselves about how great they are. From the other (Finn, Khmer, Vietnamese) perspective, just because you don't want to be a part of your neighbor's empire doesn't make you sneaky (as the Finns, Khmer, and Vietnamese would tell you). And, of course, from the everyday person's perspective, it doesn't fully matter. So take with a grain of salt this perspective on Vietnamese history from Chinese sources.

About the movement south when the Vietnamese ran over Champa and Khmer people who were there and "incorporated" them into their empire, here, too, it's complicated. Vietnamese is a Khmer-related (distantly, very very distantly) language, and in the northwestern mountains of Vietnam we have the origin points for all the Tai languages. So Kinh (ethnic Vietnamese) are certainly deeply embedded in Southeast Asia, from one perspective, and lived alongside Khmer, Tai, Cham (Tampuan, etc) neighbors for millennia. Taking in your neighbors' culture is unavoidable, even if you're stomping them at the same time.

Secondly, on a larger note re: this discussion, "Vietcong" refers to Communist rebels within South Vietnam who fought against the US-backed South Vietnamese forces. Let's not conflate it with all Vietnamese resisters to the French (or the Viet Minh), or with the Northern Vietnamese Army. They were obviously very close with the NVA, but were not the NVA.

Third, yes, we drew upon some Southeast Asian ideas of statecraft to influence the policies in order to move away from a heavily European card deck. But - as I've said a lot - don't read a lot into it! There's also some Russian references in there!

Finally -- there's some cool stuff coming. I'm really excited about how NFP is developing and I hope that you will be, too.

*sends an envoy to Antananarivo*

Jkchart, Haig, Meluhhan and 14 others like this.