1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I've come to accept that Civ6's Sumer/Gilgamesh design is irreparable. I just hope they get better treatment in Civ8--because I want the Assyrians back for Civ7 thank you. In the base game would be nice. :mischief:

2. Guynemer

Guynemer King

I was thinking about other imperial Roman leaders and how they could differentiate from the usual War And Infrastructure focus. Like, Vespasian could be focused on gold and wonders. Marcus Aurelius could have a cultural focus. Constantine could have a religion and war focus (basically similar design that we got with Basil).

If we want a Republican Rome leader, Cicero wouldn't be a terrible choice, though he is also from the aforementioned tire fire era. Cincinnatus seems an obvious choice as well. Scipio Africanus.

Meluhhan, 8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I would love Cincinnatus. You declare war on him and he rolls his eyes and says he'll kick you're butt if Rome requires it, but it better be done by planting season.

Kimiimaro, 8housesofelixir and Zaarin like this.
  4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

If Civ 7, or another season pass, gets to about 60 civs how about all 3 of them (Assyria, Babylon and Sumer)? :mischief:

5. Zaarin

Can we add the Hittites and Elam while we're at it? :mischief:

Inawordyes, Meluhhan and Xandinho like this.
  6. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

This can happen.
    Babylon is a staple.
    Assyria is very likely to return in Civ7.
    Sumer may occupy the third slot, but I would say that Hittites is also likely.

Zaarin likes this.
  7. Birch617

Birch617 Warlord

I would love if that happen; and Hitties of course

Zaarin and pokiehl like this.
  8. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

Elam is probably one of the most underappreciated Mesopotamian Bronze-Age powers. It lasted for a really long time, too.

Zaarin likes this.
  9. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

Hittites and Hurrian would be great too!

Meluhhan and Zaarin like this.
  10. SirMediocrity

SirMediocrity Warlord

...Hittites, Elam, Mitanni, Medes, Nairi, Akkad, Saba, Lydia, Yamhad, Arzawa... :p

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Zaarin likes this.
  11. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

There are Mod Roman alternate leaders for Hadrian, Caesar and Marcus Aurelius already, so there is at least an opportunity to check out the Imperial Alternatives.

For Republican Rome, be careful about going for leaders that are almost entirely military like Marius or Scipio Africanus: compared to the potential for the Republic, they can wind up pretty one-sided unless the Civ itself has attributes that complement the strictly military.
    Aside from Cincinnatus, some good choices could be:
    Lucius Junius Brutus - the 'official' First Consul of Rome
    Tiberius Gracchus and/or Gaius Gracchus - the "Gracchii Brothers" were the great reformers of the republic, even though the conservative oligarchy managed to assassinate the one and drive the other to suicide. We could have both of them as a Trung-type pair or a very Republican Roman pair of Consuls.
    Lucius Cornelius Sulla the winner of the first Roman Civil War and the antithesis of the Gracchi who reaffirmed the primacy of the Senate and the Senatorial class.

Marius would be better as a Great General: his military reforms virtually defined the Republican and Imperial Roman Army for the next quarter of a millenium if not longer. I would be tempted to make him a General who, when retired, automatically Upgraded every Melee unit within his radius, which would show something of his actual historical effect.

Meluhhan and Josephias like this.
  12. Lonecat Nekophrodite

Lonecat Nekophrodite Emperor

^ What about Cincinatus. a man whom his name became an American settlement in Ohio valley almost two millena later.

13. Zaarin

Yes! I'm very much not joking about Elam. Of all the Mesopotamian and para-Mesopotamian civs outside the Big Three I think it has the strongest arguments for inclusion--not only its longevity but also its success in resisting Babylo-Assyrian cultural (and military) hegemony to a much greater extent than most civilizations of the region--and I've wanted to see it in game for a long time.

I'll take one of each. :mischief:

14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Lucuis Quinctius Cincinnatus ("Lucius the Curly-Haired") was suggested by others, but I'm not so sure. His most famous 'attribute' is voluntarily giving up supreme power when an emergency was over, which is why he's considered an example of 'civic virtue' and got a city named after him. However, the 'emergencies' he reacted to were mostly Internal: plebians demanding that the Roman Laws be written down so that they could not be prosecuted at the whim of the patricians, or to put down civil unrest within Rome. His one reaction to an 'external' threat is now considered by many historians to be probably spurious - added to his narrative by later Romans to maintain his reputation as an example of virtue rather than as an example of a murderous reactionary tool of his own class.
    His name is well enough known that Firaxis would probably still consider him, but I suggest that his Unique might be that he can swap out Social Policy cards at will rather than wait for a specific turn, representing the fact that he took power as a Dictator essentially superceding the usual restrictions of Roman Law in his actions.

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Let's not torture @bite.

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, bite and 4 others like this.
  16. Zaarin

There's plenty of room if you zoom in close enough. :p

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, bite and 5 others like this.
  17. sweetbrown89

sweetbrown89 Chieftain

I think we all need to step back and look at the pattern of how all Civs from Civ V have been carried forward in one of 3 ways

1: Direct Representation
    - Vanilla: America, England, Egypt, Japan, China, Aztecs, France, Brazil, Germany, Spain, India, Greece, Arabia
    - DLC: Poland, Persia, Indonesia
    - Rise & Fall: Korea, Netherlands, Mongolia, Zulu
    - Gathering Storm: Inca, Sweden, Ottomans
    - New Frontier: Maya, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Babylon

2: Slant Representation (similar or historically close civilization substitutes)
    - Vanilla: Scythia for Huns, Norway for Denmark, Sumeria for Assyria
    - Gathering Storm: Hungary for Austria, Mäori for Polynesia, Mali for Songhai, Phoenicia for Carthage
    - New Frontier: Gaul for Celts — and if the leak is true, Vietnam for Siam

3: City-State Representation: Fez for Morocco, Lisbon for Portugal, Venice...for Venice

So this comes to the last slant representations for North America: Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) and Shoshone, it could be a tossup as to who the Cree slant represent, giving hope to the final DLC being SW North America for the Shoshone. Or crushing all hope and making Portugal the last DLC and replacing Lisbon City-State with one representing either the Haudenosaunee or the Shoshone (depending on what Firaxis considers the slant representation of the Cree.)

The new Civs are from previously unaccounted for geographic “diasporas” (using the term loosely) and do not particularly follow a pattern other than being an odd number.
    - Vanilla: Kongo
    - DLC: Australia, Nubia, Khmer
    - Rise & Fall: Georgia, Scotland, Mapuche
    - Gathering Storm: Canada
    - New Frontier: Gran Colombia

This leads me to assume that there will be no more new Civ regions as of Babylon leaks.

18. AaronTBD

AaronTBD Warlord

I feel the Khmer are more like Siam than Vietnam will be

why was this liked so much?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Hawke9, Kimiimaro, Kjimmet and 9 others like this.
  19. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Sumeria by design is basically a Gilgamesh civ, which is something new instead of a substitute, IMHO.

I would argue Khmer for Siam.

I would also argue Scotland as a, eh, earlier Celt - I don't think FXS had the idea of a Gaul civ when designing R&F; I don't think they have planned ahead that long.

Besides those I generally agree.

20. Alexander's Hetaroi

I'm starting to think that maybe Nubia could be considered a second Northern African civ alongside Egypt, which would mean it is sort of a Morocco replacement, though not from the Maghreb like everyone is, or would be, anticipating.

Considering Assyria was in Civ 5, and Sumeria wasn't, I would say it looks like it will be a replacement.

Zaarin likes this.