[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Eh I'd rather they take an in-between approach. Have a Germanic "base" civ structure, and then add elements to create variants of it (like slightly more differentiated alternate leaders) for, say, Prussia/Teutons, the HRE, modern Germany, etc. Think the idea of clone fighters in fighting games.

You could have many more specific civs that everyone wants for less work, and also be able to show off how they are historically connected like having some shared elements between Rome and Byzantium, or a Greece-Macedon-Persia-Timurids-Mughals continuum.

Alternatively, they could "combine" elements to create civs with substantial historical overlap, say combining aspects of France and Germany for the Franks, or Byzantium and Russia for Kievan Rus', or Mughals, Maurya, and Chola for India.
I still think alternate leaders is the best choice for most of these and I'd much rather them focus on giving us more alternate leaders for alternate ways to play a single civilization in Civ VII, though not at the cost of number of Civs.
My idea is for each alternate leaders to at least each come with a separate unique unit or unique infrastructure with the standard unique unit and unique infrastructure for the civ.
For example: England can come with Longbowmen and a Royal Navy Dockyard. When you choose Elizabeth to lead you can get a "Globe Theater/Elizabethan Theater" unique building. If Victoria is leader she gets Redcoats instead.
Harun Al Rashid for Arabia can get a House of Wisdom UB while Saladin could get Mamluk UU on top of other unique components.

I'm pretty sure that's not how the last DLC is intended to be interpreted...unless I missed recent news?
It's a new leader and new civ but yeah it's pretty much guaranteed the new leader is going with the new civ.

Last edited:
I still think alternate leaders is the best choice for most of these and I'd much rather them focus on giving us more alternate leaders for alternate ways to play a single civilization in Civ VII, though not at the cost of number of Civs.
My idea is for each alternate leaders to at least each come with a separate unique unit or unique infrastructure with the standard unique unit and unique infrastructure for the civ.
For example: England can come with Longbowmen and a Royal Navy Dockyard. When you choose Elizabeth to lead you can get a "Globe Theater/Elizabethan Theater" unique building. If Victoria is leader she gets Redcoats instead.
Harun Al Rashid for Arabia can get a House of Wisdom UB while Saladin could get Mamluk UU on top of other unique components.

You're leaning more toward the "alt leader" side of that spectrum but I think you see what I'm getting at.

And honestly I'm not sure how much my idea would work because you can't really give an old English heptarchy civ the Royal Navy Dockyard. I'm just trying to reconcile why we devote so many resources to "offshoot" civs like Scotland, Nubia, Byzantium, Macedon, Canada...while simultaneously ignoring very large regions like the Maghreb, the Guinea coast, the Swahili coast, Pashtunstan, etc. I know that Civ is concerned with "empires," but there are still some very empire-rich regions (not to mention culture/flavor rich) that somehow never make it in Civ.

I think most of the musical themes are solid enough that they could be recycled for several civs (perhaps with a few exceptions). As can unique architecture/palaces. So that's something that cuts off development resources. But I guess under my model we are looking at, maybe, a common unique ability, or in some limited circumstances a common unique infrastructure or more rarely a unique unit...everything else would still need to be a wholly new asset. Except, as I observed, in the case of "hybrid" civs like the Franks or Timurids/Macedon which could maybe get away with pulling a few more assets together from different civs.

It's a new leader and new civ but yeah it's pretty much guaranteed the new leader is going with the new civ.

Yeah, I'm convinced it will be a new leader for a new civ.
The suggestion of OnePurpose made me laugh (in the good way) as it would be interesting to see the reaction of the people having Phillip II as King/leader of the most anticipated Portuguese Civ hahaha!
I personally prefer Portuguese leader + Portugal Civ (Yes, Phillip II was Portuguese too, but it is not the same).

And who knows! I always advocated for an alter persona for Philip. I think it could bring much to the game.
As I said in the post to turn Spain into an explorer Civ if Portugal never make it, a Phillip persona based on exploration and other on religious conquest could be dope!

But thinking it now, it could be leader to Portugal and Spain too, so it would be like 4 new leaders + Portuguese leader:

1) Conqueror Phillip + Spain civ bonuses
2) Explorer Phillip + Spain Civ bonuses
3) Conqueror Phillip + Portugal civ bonuses
2) Explorer Phillip + Portugal Civ bonuses
5) Portuguese Leader + Portugal bonuses

And following your suggestion about leaders, Conquistadors could go with Philip as a leader. Leaving space for Portugal having an unique Nao UU and Spain a Galleon UU.

Whoever the last leader is, I highly doubt he or she would lead two civilizations or be an alt.

1 new* Civ, lead by the last leader. That's it.

* New as in "new to to Civ 6". Not necessarily as in "new to the franchise".

Whoever the last leader is, I highly doubt he or she would lead two civilizations or be an alt.

1 new* Civ, lead by the last leader. That's it.

* New as in "new to to Civ 6". Not necessarily as in "new to the franchise".

It will hardly be a thing, I was just dreaming.
In any case, alternatives leaders could still be a thing.
I mean I remember that alt Roosevelt and alt Catherine were part of NFP but were not in the "roadmap" (if I’m not mistaken).
So technically they could still add more personas and be part of the "more content" (not taking the slot for new leaders, so to say).

Like in the example, it could be Portugal Civ + Portuguese civs + Personas

Yeah, I'm convinced it will be a new leader for a new civ.
The suggestion of OnePurpose made me laugh (in the good way) as it would be interesting to see the reaction of the people having Phillip II as King/leader of the most anticipated Portuguese Civ hahaha!
I personally prefer Portuguese leader + Portugal Civ (Yes, Phillip II was Portuguese too, but it is not the same).

And who knows! I always advocated for an alter persona for Philip. I think it could bring much to the game.
As I said in the post to turn Spain into an explorer Civ if Portugal never make it, a Phillip persona based on exploration and other on religious conquest could be dope!

But thinking it now, it could be leader to Portugal and Spain too, so it would be like 4 new leaders + Portuguese leader:

1) Conqueror Phillip + Spain civ bonuses
2) Explorer Phillip + Spain Civ bonuses
3) Conqueror Phillip + Portugal civ bonuses
2) Explorer Phillip + Portugal Civ bonuses
5) Portuguese Leader + Portugal bonuses

And following your suggestion about leaders, Conquistadors could go with Philip as a leader. Leaving space for Portugal having an unique Nao UU and Spain a Galleon UU.
Honestly if they went that route Maria I leading both Portugal and Brazil would make more sense, even though I still doubt that will happen, instead of adding Phillip already in the game to Portugal.

Honestly if they went that route Maria I leading both Portugal and Brazil would make more sense, even though I still doubt that will happen, instead of adding Phillip already in the game to Portugal.

The good thing is that they could do both!

Maria for Portugal/Brazil
Philip for Portugal/Spain

The thing of Philip having a "persona" is the possibility to make him an explorer leader. I don't know enough about Maria I to say if she would fit the role, but the good thing is that Phillip could in worst case scenario (and very well).

A persona with a UU "conquistador unit" and bonuses tied with discoveries of Natural wonders and continents (like Simbad, but far more limited) could fit both Spain and Portugal. If Portugal has bonuses tied to exploration or making intercontinental cities, of course (Even better if it has a nao or caravel Unique for them).

I know I'm dreaming, but I really think it could be very synergetic (even more than Genghis khan.)

I'm certain it will be one civ with a leader for that civ. The "new civ and new leader" nomenclature has been used in the marketing materials before for that very typical arrangement.

And personally, I'm rather excited about the possibility of Luisa de Guzman for Portugal that someone mentioned a while back. I'm not entirely certain what her LUA would be, but she was integral in reestablishing Portuguese independence from Spain.

I'm certain it will be one civ with a leader for that civ. The "new civ and new leader" nomenclature has been used in the marketing materials before for that very typical arrangement.

And personally, I'm rather excited about the possibility of Luisa de Guzman for Portugal that someone mentioned a while back. I'm not entirely certain what her LUA would be, but she was integral in reestablishing Portuguese independence from Spain.

Maybe they could re-use the animations that could have been planned for a supposed Isabella in the leaked photos when the base game was going to be released. Though I do wish they released Isabella of Castile as an alt leader for Spain. I think Charles V could also work as an alternate leader for both Spain and Germany. King Alfonso X of Castile is also an interesting option for a medieval Spanish leader in a future game.

Gain 100% production in all cities and +2 movement for all units for the next 10 turns after declaring a Reconquest War. :mischief:

I'm not placing any bets on the last leader being for two civs.

Looking at previous expansions, they followed a formula:
  • 8 entirely new civs with new leaders
  • 1 alternate leader

This can be applied to Rise and Fall (Chandragupta as the alt) and Gathering Storm (Eleanor as the alt). And while the NFP differentiates itself from other DLCs by being released over an entire year, it has followed every other convention of the previous expansions, so I see no reason for it to diffrentiate itself here.

As far as I can tell, the NFP will follow the same formula:
  • We have our 8 new civs (Mayans, Gran Columbia, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Gaul, Babylon, Vietnam, ???)
  • We have our alt leader (Kublai "Lip Gloss" Khan)

• 1 alternate leader

This can be applied to Rise and Fall (Chandragupta as the alt) and Gathering Storm (Eleanor as the alt). And while the NFP differentiates itself from other DLCs by being released over an entire year, it has followed every other convention of the previous expansions, so I see no reason for it to diffrentiate itself here.

• We have our 8 new civs (Mayans, Gran Columbia, Ethiopia, Byzantium, Gaul, Babylon, Vietnam, ???)
I agree.
Though if we do get Maria I for Portugal I can see myself modding her in as an alt leader of Brazil so I don't get Pedro II for Brazil every time they are in the game. :mischief:

• 1 alternate leader

I think you are right... but! to reach any port during the storm, we can say that "Philips personas" would not count as new leader. Just a traditional leader that has the opportunity to lead another civ that had yet to come and was always intended that way :shifty: (too stretched? :p )

After all, his greeting quote is literally "We are Philip, king of Spain and Portugal" so they don't have to change it at all!

I think you are right... but! to reach any port during the storm, we can say that "Philips personas" would not count as new leader. Just a traditional leader that has the opportunity to lead another civ that had yet to come and was always intended that way :shifty: (too stretched? :p )

After all, his greeting quote is literally "We are Philip, king of Spain and Portugal" so they don't have to change it at all!
In that case maybe Alexander can be the new leader for Egypt that everyone wanted considering he calls himself the Pharaoh in his greeting. :mischief:

In that case maybe Alexander can be the new leader for Egypt that everyone wanted considering he calls himself the Pharaoh in his greeting. :mischief:
"We understand you're upset about the leader of Egypt being a Hellene. So we're offering you an alternate leader of Egypt...who is also a Hellene, didn't even speak Egyptian, and really only stuck around long enough to conquer the place before moving on!" :mischief: I guess while we're at it he can be the post-Achaemenid shah we've been asking for, too. :p

I want to also note that since we almost universally prefer brand new civs to alt leaders, especially considering the hardest part about making a civ is the leader's animations, if there are any further expansions to civ6, I personally wish alt leaders will lead 2 civs, one new, one old. (This is the reason why I want to see Maria I leading both Portugal and Brazil). Seriously, after seeing how well designed Vietnam is as a civ, the announcement of Kublai just killed my mood. The best part of China under Qin was to rush wonders, now I have this boring ability of Kublai trying to leverage another boring and underwhelming civ ability.

I don't think we need new alt leaders at all, if they focus on trying to have leaders for both a new and an old civ that is needlessly restrictive. Like if they add a new civ to the game, I'd rather they prioritise making a good leader choice, not choosing a leader who can also be used for another civilization.

Love Luisa's hair. If she's in leading Portugal, I hope she has the little puppy in her portrait with her. Obviously the most important part in designing a Portugal civ no debates about that
Kristina's hair could be used as a reference point for Luisa's hair. I'd happily accept her because I really don't want my Henry the Navigator idea to be put to waste.

Top Bottom