1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, May 11, 2020.

1. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Watch Henry the Navigator show up anyway as a Great Explorer, unique type of Great Admiral, for Portugal anyway. :mischief:

Kimiimaro, raen, God of Kings and 4 others like this.
  2. untitledjuan

untitledjuan Warlord

But wouldn't it be a problem that Luisa de Guzmán is Spanish and not Portuguese? Would she speak in-game a mix of Spanish and Portuguese. Even though I think Catherine de' Medici is cool, I still would have rather preferred a completely French leader (such as Louis XIV or even Joan of Arc) over someone who isn't ethnically French.

3. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

I don't see how more restrictive than it already is when they try to pick an alt leader purposefully for him/her to lead two existing civs. Nobody prefers alt leaders to brand new civs, but if there are new contents to come, brace yourself for at least 1 alt leader in the pack, so the question on whether or not we like one more alt leader bears barely any relevance.

4. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

I mean I never said it was more restrictive than that. I'm arguing they should stop bothering with alt leaders for multiple civs altogether- possible only doing that when a leader they have already decided on fits 2 civs, but not going out of their way to achieve that. You say I need to 'brace' myself for 1 alt leader each pack (perhaps that is an inevitability, I wouldn't know), but I do not see the harm in me expressing my disinterest in that, maybe someone in Firaxis will read these forums and notice people expressing preferences on this. I know this particular thread is significantly about speculation, but I don't see why I can't talk about what I think they should do as well.

Also regarding future content packs, what is the general feeling here on whether there will be more as opposed to focus starting to shift onto the next game in the series?

Zaarin likes this.
  5. Leucarum

Leucarum Emperor

The season comment in the last update video does make me suspect they probably will do more... If they said that and then didn't it would be quite a let down. Presumably NFP was a financial success?

6. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I personally don't think we'll see more, nor do I want to see more unless it's of considerably higher quality.

FinalDoomsday likes this.
  7. Alexander's Hetaroi

I feel like they left it open ended the way they worded it, not confirming or denying anything else after the April update.

8. Shibooyeah

Shibooyeah Chieftain

give me a civ with an ability to do a city project that generates diplomatic favor not having to rely on emergencies or whatever

9. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

Every civ can do Carbon Recapture project which generates +30 favor per completion. Of course the cultural civs will be more good at that.

In addition, America, Sweden, and Canada all have the ability to generate a small amount of favor by their own - America by Wildcard slots, Sweden by recruit GP, Canada by tourism.

10. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

What exactly does "going out of their way" mean in this situation? A leader can either lead multiple civs or they cannot.
    Literally no one is trying to stop you from stating what you want, you have a keyboard, a pc and internet connection, it is a free world, you do whatever you want with it. The thing is you're not the first person to state that alt leaders are generally more unfavorably received compared to brand new civs, and I am trying to suggest a leeway to compensate both sides of the argument: having a new civ/new leader while at the same making that leader an alt leader of an existing civ. Simply saying "I don't want an alt leader thus they shouldn't bother with it," one, adds nothing new to the conversation, we all dislike alt leaders, you're not the unique one here, just simply read the comments on Kublai Khan's thread, and two, instead of coming up with an idea that may make people on both sides of the argument a bit happier, you suggested an impossibility as if Firaxis would admit they waste the potential of a new feature and abandon it altogether. We all have things we want and things we don't want, making extreme suggestions like "I want to get rid of things I don't want" just simply doesn't cut it, especially when that decision affects more than just one person.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  11. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

She's the best female option. And that way of thinking it's silly. Specially in her case considering she was literally the first Queen of Portugal (and pushed hard to be so)

12. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

I don't believe anyone in Portugal cares that she's Spanish, nor do I think that is a problem in terms of Civ 6 portrayal. Just because a Leader isn't ethnically the same as their people doesn't mean they can't lead them. Kublai Khan in Civ 6 is an example of that.

j51 and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  13. GenyaArikado

I just cringe everytime someone pulls the "THEY'RE NOT A REAL X NATIONALITY"

14. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

She was not the first queen of Portugal though.

So by your own admission, you think Victoria ruling India would be appropriate, since nationality or culture doesn't matter, only de facto rule?

Perhaps your own position has problems which you didn't consider thoroughly because you're too focused on auto-dismissing criticism.

I'm fine with Luisa, but saying nationality doesn't matter in an iteration which heavily weighs on the side of portraying different cultures isn't necessarily an uncontentious position.

15. GenyaArikado

She was the first queen of modern Portugal, the badass Portugal. Afaik

And not it's not a matter of "ONLY DEJURE RULERS". But disqualifing someone just because they were born abroad/with a diff culture like people love to do here with Cleo/Cath is cringeworthy

Meluhhan likes this.
  16. raen

raen Coat of Arms

17. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

It didn't have the Illustrious Generation, though. Modern Portugal, while it may have been a substantive empire, it just doesn't compare with the Age of Discovery.

AntSou, Kjimmet, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  18. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'd prefer a native Egyptian pharaoh (they only have 2,000 years of pharaohs to choose from including a good handful of female pharaohs and queens-regent), but if they're going to choose a Ptolemy for Egypt...I wish they'd have the guts to portray her like a Ptolemy. Give her a peplos and a himation and an elaborate curly updo--not this fantasy Egyptian stuff that was more inspired by Elizabeth Taylor than anything actually worn in Egypt at any period.

19. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Emperor

I know that it was called a "season pass" in line with the DLC release formats of other games, but the fact that they are still calling it a "season," even as it wraps up, makes me think they aren't done. "Season" still implies something cyclic or repeating. They could have called it the end of the pass instead, but they didn't (although, this would not be the first time we observed imprecise marketing language).

Again, I don't think this necessarily means that if we get a second season, it will be to the same scale as the first. It might just be a few alternate leaders. It might be some city-state packs. It might be a handful of civs and/or game modes. We really have no idea (although I hold that nearly every game mode could very easily be expanded on in a second season).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    j51 and Alexander's Hetaroi like this.
  20. Alexander's Hetaroi

I don't think it's an automatic disqualification, considering even Victoria and Catherine the Great weren't born in England or Russia, but at the same time it would be nice if they did come with a native ruler of the civilization they are leading. That being said I don't mind Cleo as leader, and she technically was born Egyptian even if her ethnicity was Macedonian/Greek.

Although it would be crazy after all this time waiting for Portugal to have them come with a leader who primarily speaks Spanish, making Pedro the only native born Portuguese speaker. :lol:

AntSou, Kjimmet, j51 and 3 others like this.