[NFP] Civilization VI: Possible New Civilizations Thread

On the issue of Celtic representation, I would have vastly preferred medieval Ireland and modern Belgium over blob Gauls and British Scotland. Oh well, maybe in Civ7...
Gauls aren't a blob, but I agree about preferring Medieval Ireland over Scotland. However, I really, really, really don't need more than a Belgium city-state (plus they're totally irrelevant in talking about Celts; Belgians are Romance-speakers, whether French or Walloon, plus some Dutch and German speakers--there have been dozens of population and culture shifts since the already dubiously Celtic Belgae).

Then I remember they put Maria Theresa as a leader for Germany in Civilization II, at a time where they couldn't figure out the difference between the Frankish Empire and the Holy Roman Empire, the Holy Roman Empire and Germany, and Germany and Austria. So, fair enough! Even we went from the Franks to the Hungarian: what a journey! It is not even as dumb as putting the Iroquois and the Sioux in the same line

as far as leaders leading a civ they aren’t directly the leader of, Maria Theresa leading Germany is pretty minor

I think most of us wouldn’t be theoretically opposed to her being a leader of Germany in this game since germany in civ 6 is pretty much just the HRE, which included and was led by Hapsburg Austria for 400+ years

On the issue of Celtic representation, I would have vastly preferred medieval Ireland and modern Belgium over blob Gauls and British Scotland. Oh well, maybe in Civ7...
1. Historically Belgium is a 200 years old franco-Dutch blob ;) I have nothing against Belgium but what Gauls have to do with them? Isn't better to say "I want Belgium and Ireland." It is always funny when people try some logical gymnastics to prove that Civs they want deserve more than the others. ;)
2. Medieval Scotland apart from their origins and ancestry is not Celtic and does not represent Celtic culture the same way modern Italy is distinct from Roman Empire.

Last edited:
I have nothing against Belgium but what Gauls have to do with them?

Medieval Scotland apart from their origins and ancestry is not Celtic and does not represent Celtic culture

My point exactly. In Civ6, the "Celtic" representatives are Belgian Gauls (comeplete with La Brabançonne motif in the theme) and Germanic Scots. Instead, I'd rather have one true Celtic representative (Ireland), instead of zero. And Belgium can be its own thing and not some weird hybrid or Modern European and Ancient Gaulish.

It is always funny when people try some logical gymnastics to prove that Civs they want deserve more than the others.

I agree entirely. :coffee:

I would like to see Ireland over Scotland too But clasical era Celts are different from both medieval and later Ireland and Scotland. In general continental Celts are different group from the "british" ones. The one blob argument about the Celts I agree is they were put into one very british oriented basket in previous Civ games.

1. Historically Belgium is a 200 years old franco-Dutch blob ;) I have nothing against Belgium but what Gauls have to do with them? Isn't better to say "I want Belgium and Ireland." It is always funny when people try some logical gymnastics to prove that Civs they want deserve more than the others. .

Ambiorix ranked 6th on the list of The Greatest Belgians. That's your Gallic connection with Belgium.

Belgium, if ever set to appear, should appear either as a Medieval Era Mercantile Trade Power (in which case it's better to just name the Civ "Flanders" and retain Brussels as a City state as it is geographically located outside of Flanders), a renaissance Cultural Influence Power (not too fond of that because it's just the Dutch except with nunnaries instead of polders. lol. Italy would do this way, way better anyway) or their Industrial Era Great Power side.

Those are the 2cents from the guy who actually lives in Belgium x0x0.

The release date of Civilization VI is in 2016, while his Portugal / Assyria assignement on his resumé was made between 2011 and 2013. It doesn't work.

Portugal and Assyria were in Civilization V, in the Brave New World expansion, which happens to have a release date in 2013. It is more likely that he worked on Portugal and Assyria for Civilization V.

Does it mean they are thinking about a new Pass, and even put some work to look if it feasible?

@AntSou: It is quite possible. Even sure! I have to search for translation for most of the word used in the picture, because I didn't understand them. My bad! But I don't understand why the Portugal / Assyria part was underline. Can someone explain it to me? I thought he thought Anton worked for Portugal / Assyria for Civilization VI.

Last edited:
The release date of Civilization VI is in 2016, while his Portugal / Assyria assignement on his resumé was made between 2011 and 2013. It doesn't work.

Portugal and Assyria were in Civilization V, in the Brave New World expansion, which happens to have a release date in 2013. It is more likely that he worked on Portugal and Assyria for Civilization V.

I think you misunderstood the post.

I'm just pointing out that the lead designer for New Frontier Pass just happens to be the same person who designed Portugal and Assyria for Brave New World.

I'm pretty sure what @AntSou meant was that since Anton designed Assyria and Portugal in Civ 5, and he headed the NFP, there is probably a chance that Portugal is the last Civilization in the NFP. It's all assumptions, though.

If our speculation with the leftover trade route ability from the files turned out to be true, I suppose that anything else we could possibly still find there would be as certain of a clue as anything can be. Has anybody tried compiling a list of unused content and things like that (like Genoa, or Kublai's ability before it was announced)?

If our speculation with the leftover trade route ability from the files turned out to be true, I suppose that anything else we could possibly still find there would be as certain of a clue as anything can be. Has anybody tried compiling a list of unused content and things like that (like Genoa, or Kublai's ability before it was announced)?

Seeing how quickly members like Infixo and Laurana tend to find those, I'd think if there were any left someone would have mentioned it by now.

It's only a couple more weeks of waiting anyway.

Seeing how quickly members like Infixo and Laurana tend to find those, I'd think if there were any left someone would have mentioned it by now.

It's only a couple more weeks of waiting anyway.
One more week, you mean.

One more week, you mean.

If we're lucky we get a tweet this Friday saying to turn on our notifications for next week.

But January DLC arrived on the 28th, and February's update on the 25th. So I think the 25th of March is a more likely date.

Edit: Nvm, you're right! They should reveal one week before release.

Haudenosaunee should be led by Jikonsase.

Civilization Ability:

???

Civilization receives no population loss from wildfires. All districts placed on Woods, or Jungle, do not remove either feature. Woods and Jungle tiles expend all movement points of enemy units. Units ignore terrain cost for Woods and Jungle, and receive +4 Combat Strength in those tiles. Improved Camp resources provide an additional +1 Food, +2 Gold and Culture bomb adjacent tiles.

Leader Ability: Mother of Nations

+10 HP recovered per turn in Haudenosaunee territory for units belonging to any Alliance with this Civilization. Alliances provide +2 of their respective yields City-States, of which you, or an allied player, are Suzerain, cannot have Envoys sent to them by players you are at war with.

Unique Building: Longhouse

Unique improvement, available only to the Haudenosaunee. Available at the Writing technology. +1 Culture. +1 Housing per adjacent district. +1 Production per adjacent Woods, or Jungle tile. Provides +1 Food, +1 Culture and +1 Amenity to each adjacent worked Lake tile. May only be built on Woods, Jungle, or adjacent to another district, or Lake tile. Cannot be adjacent to another Longhouse.

Unique Unit: Kanien'kehá (Mohawk Warrior)

Class: Melee
Movement: 2

Available at Construction. 44 Combat Strength. +7 Combat Strength in Woods or Jungle, and ignore fortification bonuses from enemy units on those tiles. Defeated enemy units grant Culture equal to their Combat Strength, as well as Population +33% growth to the nearest Haudenosaunee city.

T1 Bias: Forest, Furs, Deer, Honey.
T2 Bias: River, Lakes
T3 Bias: Jungle

Pipedream, but as someone who is Mohawk that's what I would like to see.

Iroquois wasn't done any justice whatsoever in V honestly lol

Last edited:
Ambiorix ranked 6th on the list of The Greatest Belgians. That's your Gallic connection with Belgium.

Belgium, if ever set to appear, should appear either as a Medieval Era Mercantile Trade Power (in which case it's better to just name the Civ "Flanders" and retain Brussels as a City state as it is geographically located outside of Flanders), a renaissance Cultural Influence Power (not too fond of that because it's just the Dutch except with nunnaries instead of polders. lol. Italy would do this way, way better anyway) or their Industrial Era Great Power side.

Those are the 2cents from the guy who actually lives in Belgium x0x0.
But Belgium doesn't exist in the Medieval Era and if you want Civ based on medieval Flandres it should be called Flandres. Modern Belgium was established in 1830 and anything called Belgium in Civilization should refer to this period in my opinion. XIX Century was the time when modern National-States were born. Either from scratch (like Belgium or somehow Germany) or based on existing ones (France). Many historical figures were incorporated into new "Nations" and its legacy. Belgium is no exception. Vercingetorix and Gaul history was incorporated by French, Celtic heritage by Scots and Irish (Although some countries didn't exist on a map, there was a strong national movement that was born there that time), etc. This is rather a consequence of XIX Century politics than a real historical connection. ;) Same way fascist Italy in XXth Century claimed to be a continuation of Roman Empire.

So here's a curious bit of information I found:

I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'...

PORTUGAL CONFIRM!

Now, the real question is: what's the UU, UI, UA, and leader? I'm guessing the UU will probably be another caravel stand-in, as it should be. UI and UA will likely be focused around trade routes again. Personally, I they should always be portrayed as a naval and commerce powerhouse, but maybe they'll switch it up and give them a diplomatic focus this time? I'd prefer Sebastian but I'm quite certain they'll get a woman leader so NFP has 3 total like R&F and GS, perhaps Maria II.

Or I could be totally wrong and Ashurbanipal comes back to take everyone's books for himself.

Top Bottom