Colbert Rips the "Religious" Hypocrites

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of translations omit effeminate, and some say "male prostitutes" instead. The Vulgate says "Molles," which is literally soft.

Metrosexual doesn't necessarily mean effeminate. It is really just a stupid way of saying urbane. Manliness and crudeness need not be associated.

The metrosexuals will go into the same hellfire as the homosexuals.

But being metrosexual is not necessarily being effeminate. So are you going to say that David Beckham is effeminate, considering he is often cited at the poster boy for metrosexuals? I don't think so. Plus that term is just an invention to make it sound cool.

@Form, I would say that they way how the Greek word is used, it is referring to men who are 'soft', i.e. not acting like men, but trying to be like the opposite sex. That is how I would interpret that verse.

But being metrosexual is not necessarily being effeminate. So are you going to say that David Beckham is effeminate, considering he is often cited at the poster boy for metrosexuals? I don't think so. Plus that term is just an invention to make it sound cool.

A metrosexual is by definition a man who has embraced customs and attitudes once deemed the province of women. Absolutely a matter of effeminacy.

It always scares me when mortal man has the audacity to say "you're not a Christian" or "you are a Christian". What say we leave that judgement up to God, eh? I think we've had enough deaths on this planet because mankind likes to make the call.

Funny, I only hear that argument when its Repubs and conservatives butchering the religion of Jesus. What about "I am a Christian"? It all starts with that...

Well known that Evangelicals are heretics who don't know much about Christianity.

Oh please.....:rolleyes:

I predict another 'I know more than you do about christianity, even though your a christian' thread. Silly.

Oh please.....:rolleyes:

It's quite true. It's more akin to gnosticism in its individualism. Its anti-intellectualism is fundamentally perverse, as well. So is prosperity theology and the lack of social teachings.

Leaving the bible out for laymen to study leads to heresy because laymen tend to not be able to comprehend complex theological issues.

It's quite true. It's more akin to gnosticism in its individualism.

No bill...its not.

Least of all simply because you say it is.

But by all means continue your silly ad homs, so I can continue to roll my eyes.

:rolleyes:

No bill...its not.

Least of all simply because you say it is.

But by all means continue your silly ad homs, so I can continue to roll my eyes.

:rolleyes:

Yes, it is.

You can always repent.

Bill3000 said:
Leaving the bible out for laymen to study leads to heresy because laymen tend to not be able to comprehend complex theological issues.

Catholic much? My avatar has a nice message for Catholic Kings at any rate ;).

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

Matthew 6:5-7

Bolded because I found those parts very interesting. :D

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words."

Matthew 6:5-7

Bolded because I found those parts very interesting. :D

Do you realize that Jesus also prayed in public as well though?

Have you taken the moment to wonder why he would say what you quote and then also pray in public?

Hmmmm?

Wow...so you read it in a book so it must be true.

How quaint. :rolleyes:

If you're offended by someone saying that your religious sect is false and dangerous due to its spiritual elitism leading to an obsessive focus on individual salvation, then you should probably stay out of any religious discussion. You're clearly not strong-minded enough to withstand and defend against a religious polemic. It says much about your lack of faith.

Mobboss said:
Do you realize that Jesus also prayed in public as well though?

Have you taken the moment to wonder why he would say what you quote and then also pray in public?

Hmmmm?
Sorry mobby, but a direct command from Jesus overrides any particular action that he did. If you want to emulate Jesus, become a monk.

If you're offended by someone saying that your religious sect is false and dangerous due to its spiritual elitism leading to an obsessive focus on individual salvation, then you should probably stay out of any religious discussion.

Here is a thought. Why dont you try something new...like being polite instead of labeling someones entire faith 'false and dangerous'.

You ad homs are quite as sweeping as they are stupid. Learn some manners.

You're clearly not strong-minded enough to withstand and defend against a religious polemic. It says much about your lack of faith.

It has nothing to do with being strong-minded. Indeed, if you had an single ounce of self-worth and self-respect you wouldnt feel the overwhelming need to insult others simply to make yourself feel superior. Me pointing out how idiotic your constant insults and ad homs towards others that dont believe as you do is simply pointing out the flaws in your own personality...not mine.

Sorry mobby, but a direct command from Jesus overrides any particular action that he did. If you want to emulate Jesus, become a monk.

Wrong again, Bill.

Wow...so you read it in a book so it must be true.

How quaint. :rolleyes:
Yeah. Who reads a book anymore? Just listen to Brother Dobson or Brother Haggard.

Besides, books have been a source of perversion since at least the drafting of Ezekial 23:20.

Here is a thought. Why dont you try something new...like being polite instead of labeling someones entire faith 'false and dangerous'.

You ad homs are quite as sweeping as they are stupid. Learn some manners.
What I am doing are not ad hominems. An ad hominem would be if I responded to an argument by attacking the source of the claim. I'm not replying to an argument, merely stating a fact - that evangelicalism is heresy. And one that has fundamentally damaged the good character of Christianity within the United States.

It has nothing to do with being strong-minded. Indeed, if you had an single ounce of self-worth and self-respect you wouldnt feel the overwhelming need to insult others simply to make yourself feel superior. Me pointing out how idiotic your constant insults and ad homs towards others that dont believe as you do is simply pointing out the flaws in your own personality...not mine.
If you want to refute my claims, go ahead, but it would take more than ridiculing the argument to do so, or attacking my character.

Wrong again, Bill.
Aw, the cognitive dissonance is soooo cuuuute. :love:

What I am doing are not ad hominems. An ad hominem would be if I responded to an argument by attacking the source of the claim. I'm not replying to an argument, merely stating a fact - that evangelicalism is heresy. And one that has fundamentally damaged the good character of Christianity within the United States.

Yes, Bill, you are touting a sweeping ad hom against all evangelicals in the United States....one that isnt even true to be honest....and again, simply because you consider the claim to be 'factual' doesnt mean your right, let alone give you the right to be insulting about it.

If you want to refute my claims, go ahead, but it would take more than ridiculing the argument to do so.

Says the young man ridiculing my mind a post or so ago. :rolleyes: Well, gee, you have a whole single book on your side and all, I dunno....

I have said it before....you have a whole lot to learn in life Bill. A whole lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom