1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Colbert Rips the "Religious" Hypocrites

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Berzerker, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

They were brought to him for him to pray for them (that was the motivation of the people bringing the children). The story later says he laid hands on them but is silent on whether he prayed for him. This has been pointed out about half a dozen times already, so I guess we have reached the proverbial endpoint of expecting intellectual honesty.

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

That's over six times it's been explained. I don't think it should be explained again

3. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

Again, laying on of hands IS praying for them....which I have pointed out at least half a dozen times as well. Surely you remember this from your youth going to church with your dad.

If one is able to comprehend that he is talking primarily about hypocrisy not prayer, then he isnt a hypocrite. At least I read it that way and dont see anything hypocritical at all about it. But then again, I am a christian. /shrug.

But as I mentioned, I really need to be listening to Proverbs right now...

4. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

The only laying on hands that was proposed would justify North Carolina's 300 foot rule being invoked.

5. Imperialmajesty

Imperialmajesty Emperor

Yes... that is very sad. Not that the unintelligent care about a person's religious belief's or lack of, but that the intelligent and the educated actually consider Atheism a game breaker. Maybe not a majority, but most certainly a substantial number which most definitely gives me pause.

I am an Atheist, and believe that religion is a tool that has outlived its time. However, I also believe in judging people based on there merit and capabilities. I would not hesitate to vote for the qualified Christian or Muslim over the unqualified Atheist, and vice versa. It is sad, and it is partial evidence of the poverty of religion, that it teaches man, in its more dogmatic forms, to judge others as being unworthy of trust based on a 2,000 year old document.

Men should be judged on there content, and not on there religion or lack thereof.

6. Imperialmajesty

Imperialmajesty Emperor

What are your views on The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. One in the same? Three distinct entities?

7. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

No it isn't or the author wouldn't have said the children were brought to Jesus for the laying of hands AND prayer.

Oh yeah, did you ever establish which street or synagogue this allegedly happened?

8. MobBoss

You actually had the nerve to show back up in this thread?

Really?

What part did you not comprehend about their being different TYPES of prayer?

A hint for you. The Greeks/Hebrews had different words for different types of prayer.....you may want to study up on it sometime. Just because its a different word, doesnt mean it isnt also a form of prayer. http://executableoutlines.com/top/layhands.htm

Hopeless. :(

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

When are you gonna use that Strongs to back up your argument? I already looked in my Strongs, it doesn't say Jesus prayed over the kids. The word for pray in 19:13 does not appear in 19:15. Is that why you keep citing Strongs without quoting Strongs?

of course, hmm... What is yer point Mobby?

Doing what? Quoting the relevant verse? Matt 19:13 doesn't tell us what Jesus did, Matt 19:15 does that.

When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

see?

Are we all dishonest for disagreeing with your "interpretation"? I'm quoting the passage that tells us what Jesus did, you keep ignoring that passage...

Proverbs tells you to call people dishonest and run away?

I started the thread, you jumped in to call it a silly debate... Well, you certainly made that come true.

The word "prayer" is not used in the passage describing what Jesus did...

wrt the edit, were you planning on quoting from your link or are we supposed to find your proof for you?

10. MobBoss

Again, to lay hands upon someone is to pray for them by blessing them, or even pray for healing for them. If you cant admit that then there is no reason for us to continue.

Try reading it, perhaps you will get what I am referring to.

No, your're dishonest for quoting scripture out of context like you did earlier when you specifically left the part out containing the word 'prayer'.

Yes, it is. I have highlighted it over and over and over again.

This is fruitless.....not going to reply to you anymore as its just stupid to continue to belabour the point with you. You dont even comprehend that there are many forms of prayer - you didnt even understand that blessing food before a meal is prayer. Given that, I am simply not going to respond to this silliness any further. You want to continue chasing your tail over the issue go ahead. But I have given mulitple links and proof here to prove my point.

11. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

The word for "pray" does not appear in Matt 19:15 and the author of Matt 19:13 says the children were brought to Jesus for 2 reasons, not 1 - Laying hands AND prayer, Jesus laid hands but did not pray and then he left. Thats what the Bible says. Why aint you using your Strongs?

No thanks, not interested in chasing down passages you think apply to me

Where did I quote the passage out of context? I posted Matt 19:13-15 back on page 6 when you were claiming Jesus prayed over the children.

see? And I see you're still assuming all this happened in a synagogue or street.

Where did I say there's only 1 form of prayer? And I didn't say anything about blessing food, I said giving thanks aint the same thing as prayer and you disagreed.
    Now, where did you "highlight" what Jesus actually did? You keep ignoring what he did and you keep repeating Matt 19:13 as proof Jesus prayed over the children when that passage doesn't tell us anything about what Jesus did. And quote your links, it aint my job to find your proof.

Tell me Mobby, if you are in your room and about to pray, does Jesus want you to go into the street and pray instead of your room?

12. QuieteMon

QuieteMon Chieftain

The left wing extremist are hyprocrits. They talk tollernce but if you don't agree with them it's okay to vility and make fun and critisize them.

13. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: QuieteMon, if you're going to bump an old thread, please post something substantive. There's a stick on Off Topic's front page that you should read.

Closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.