Colonialist Legacies’ Inuit for VP

Igloo is a caravansary because that’s where the yields per X tundra tiles worked ability is. I liked the tech level, and Inuit would build a caravansary in every tundra city anyways. Caravansary’s do NOT boost snow, however, so that was yet another reason to replace the caravansary with a building that encompasses Inuits’ playstyle fully.

GPs just don’t have a unit combat class. They don’t need one normally because no traits/wonders give promotions to them (except Inuit), and they don’t need a combat AI. Diplomats have 4-5 different buildings and wonders that assign them promotions, so they need a combat class.

the unatattik promotion also gives +25% defense, so you can effectively use them as melee units that don’t take return damage. The unatattik promotion combines very well with Gatling/machine guns’ covering fire promotion, so i found they were worth upgrading and keeping.

edit: I balance around continents

Yeah, I imagine they're fine normally. Just useless in my situation; I primarily need to defend against ships.

Welp. Looks like I was wrong.

Spoiler :

My favorite bit of this game is that Carthage and I remained friends throughout while trading the #1 and #2 spots back and forth.

EDIT: Additional screenshots. I ended up first in techs at some point? No idea when that happened; I was behind in science for 95% of the game, and Germany had already built the Apollo Project.

Also, major shoutout to Civilized Jewelers and the +220% Great Person Rate it was giving me. This game really was a fantastic medley of things that worked together.

Spoiler :

EDIT2: Also a shout-out to the Good Boy Squad, my 4 lv 6 Qamutiiks who remained in their base form to the end of the game.

Last edited:
Update online which fixes the qamutiik restart bug and the improvement lua bug

I really, strongly feel that the Qamutiiks need to be divorced from Horses somehow. I've been running starts for an hour and a half or so now with both Communitu_79 and Tectonics, and the Inuits simply do not end up with horses. This makes the otherwise-wonderful UU completely dead after the Ancient Era, which is really upsetting when you can end up with two level 6s just by circumnavigating the northern border.

I think a large part of the reason this happens is the InuitRelocation script, assuming I understand it correctly. It seems to relocate the Inuits after the game has already placed them, which means that resource allocation happens around a location the Inuits are no longer physically in. Using Strategic Balance combined with IGE would seem to confirm my understand of the situation; revealing the map and then using IGE's "Bring Camera Home" feature centers me on a spot other than where my Settler is, and that spot always contains the resources that Strategic Balance is intended to allocate, whereas my settler's location has none of it.

I love the doggoes, but as I mentioned in the last game's write-up, they were worse than useless once they were done exploring. I literally had four of them from the start of the game all the way up to the end, and at no point did I have an opportunity to get horses to upgrade them.

You aren't complaining about the dogs; the dogs don't use horses. Problem solved.

You're complaining that I don't somehow give the dogs some permanent special ability that allows them to upgrade into skirmishers and beyond without the strategics that skirmishers need. I'm not going to do that. You compared this to what Blue Ghost did with the Assyrian Iron Chariot, but Iron Chariots still require horses once they upgrade into knights, so that doesn't solve the problem.

Qamutiiks are Inuits' unique unit; the entire skirmisher line is not. Without the no strategics requirement on their UU, you wouldn't have gotten a single mounted ranged unit all game. Would we be having this conversation if Qamutiiks replaced the pathfinder instead? Your situation of being locked onto an entire tundra continent is not typical of every game; you can settle out of tundra and snag some horse resources in plains or grassland. No one has a gun to your head to stay in the tundra.

Last edited:
I'm actually attempting to give feedback that the UU is completely dead after the Ancient Era in a large number of cases. I even went out of my way to spend a decent chunk of time confirming that it wasn't simply my map settings; and I'm not even able to correct it with Strategic Balance, because the relocation forces them somewhere other than where the map thought they were going to be.

I realize that the Iron Chariots are different from what I was asking for. They were simply the best example I could think of to represent what I was trying to communicate, so that I could give a suggestion of a possible way to fix what I perceived to be an issue instead of simply complaining. That is, something that allowed them to be upgraded without the need of horses, but weakened them unless you had them. It sounded to me like a decent compromise that would allow the tundra-based Inuits to have their awesome sled dog UU, without forcing them completely into obsolescence when their terrain of choice denied them the needed resource. It also seemed to gel well with the concept of hardy people subsisting on less, and let your head-canon say the dogs were still around. I apologize if I didn't communicate that clearly.

Their UU is era locked, same as every other civs'. I see no issue with that. If you don't have the resources needed to upgrade them then you do the same thing as any other civ and delete them.

Arabia has a mounted archer UU with no strategic requirement too. Their desert start bias also puts them outside the spawning terrain for horses. The issue of going from a unit that doesn't require strategics to one that does is a fairly common one. You can trade for horses, ally a CS, or you can settle a risky spot to claim some. Failing that, there's policies that will give you free horses.
That is, something that allowed them to be upgraded without the need of horses, but weakened them unless you had them.
So you want me to create a unique promotion that frees skirmishers/heavy skirmishers/cuirassier/cavalry from strategic requirements, because the chariot UU unit didn't need them? That's not going to happen. As I said, the Qamutiik is the Inuit's UU; the entire mounted archer line is not.

Fair enough.

So you want me to create a unique promotion that frees skirmishers/heavy skirmishers/cuirassier/cavalry from strategic requirements, because the chariot UU unit didn't need them? That's not going to happen. As I said, the Qamutiik is the Inuit's UU; the entire mounted archer line is not.

That was entirely a throwaway suggestion; the main point was to suggest something, so I that wasn't just complaining at you. The Pathfinder-replacement also sounds perfectly fine; I didn't bother discussing it because that would have been the most obvious place to put them from the beginning, and presumably you didn't want them there since you went to the trouble of having the original Pathfinder deleted and replaced with the doggoes.

In the original mod, the unatattik was a scout replacement. I changed that so the mod wouldn’t have all of Inuit’s uniques unlocked in ancient. 4UC adding a different scout replacement seemed hokey.

the Trystero Inuit mod I took the qamutiik from had them as a chariot replacement. I think the ranged promotion line and makes the unit more exciting. Also improving from a sledge to a guy on foot was weird.

I think the biggest problem the Qamutiik has is when the find an ancient village that "upgrades" them. This often happens before you even discover horses, to say nothing of the fact that you rarely find horses near your starting location, making them very vulnerable to barbarians due to their inability to heal.

EDIT: Maybe give them the Shoshone promotion, but it is lost on upgrade? I can't think of any other way to avoid "upgrading" them other than not going for ancient ruins, which sort of defeats the purpose of the unit.

Does this mod currently work with the current beta version? I use mods a lot and they either work fine or completely broken. Though this is a modmod so... who knows! I remember playing the old inuit mod years back and playing with inuit in old C2C Civ 4 (unjustly removed :( ) so I am excited to play VP inuit.

I keep my mods up to date (almost) without fail for the latest beta. This version should be much more stable than the original CL Inuit, due to optimization from using the CBP’s code.

you shouldn’t have any troubles playing them, but if you do, please post back your bugs, so I can smoosh them for you.

So I had the Inuit show up as a random civ in my game. I eliminated them immediately, and encountered a problem:

Spoiler :

I would put that near 'showstopper' status myself; I would also suggest that if the border claim of the Inuksuk can't be executed "properly," for lack of a better word and meaning no offense, that it might be better to come up with something else for them.

I'll have to disable The Inuits for now; I was able to deal with the inability to purchase tiles claimed by the Inuksuk, but this is a bit too much.

I love the Inuits, though, so I'm hoping this can be addressed!

Last edited:
Noice.

Yeah, I've got to figure out how to make tiles take the nearest city as an owner in lua... It's Haaaard tho.

Fixed! This also allows you to buy tiles off the ones claimed by inuksuk. Also, the changes to mounted archer units this patch broke qamutiiks, so I'm gonna fix that with this update too.
upload_2019-11-13_7-22-47.png

new patch incoming

no balance changes, just changed the Unattatik's harpoon to take advantage of the new DLL. Should help with stability

Top Bottom