1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

There are a lot of horizontal entries (53, to be exact).

2. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

Do you have a large printer? Can you print it horizontal to A3 paper size?

That is one strange problem! Don't sleep. :lol:
    Or disconnect power if you think it's over the network. Or wipe and reinstall to an encrypted disk.

3. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Class IV

Take away their ax.

4. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Yeah, that question probably came from me watching too many spy and conspiracy movies. :blush: :lol:

5. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

See if your printer setup will print in landscape format across several pieces of paper.

6. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Unplug it?

7. PlutonianEmpire

How do I find out what versions of OpenGL can my graphics card (Nvidia) support?

8. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Go here, tell it what video card you have in the drop down menu, and under "details" it should list "OpenGL compliance".

9. PlutonianEmpire

My card's not listed. :(

It's a Nvidia GeForce GT 130M

On the side, new question: Are there any plug-ins for Gimp that will take two images, mix them while applying randomization(?), and apply it to, say, a greyscale image, with the darker colors being one image, gradually transitioning into the other image with that other image being used for the lighter colors?

inb4 someone accuses me of being "vague" again. :trouble:

Don't you people DARE call my question vague! :mad:

10. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

11. Antilogic

Antilogic --

So I've been shopping around for a new laptop and while I've narrowed down the field a little bit, I'm also looking for recommendations.

I'm looking for a decent 15" all-purpose-type laptop; netbooks and those other tiny ones won't cut it, and I don't want some massive 10 pound machine to lug around all the time. As far as gaming goes, I only need something that will run Civ4, Paradox games, and stuff like that--no FPS or anything that will be extremely taxing. Last machine was a Dell I got through my department, and I'm not too satisfied with them from a reliability perspective, and I've heard several people with HPs have similar problems. I've heard good things about Sony, Toshiba, Lenovo, and Asus (but Asus' website sucks and I can't figure out how to narrow down or search for a good machine).

I'm looking for something in the $1,200-$1,800 sticker range, but that's a little flexible (especially if I can get a good discount--I have time so I'm waiting for a good sale).

Currently, I'm leaning towards this Sony 15.5" Vaio with an Intel i7 quad core, 8 or 12 GB RAM, 640 GB (7200 rpm) hard drive, and a GeForce® GT 640M LE (2 GB) graphics card. 12 GB seems like more than I need on RAM, but I figure if its still in my price range, then I might as well get it. Does this sound like a machine that fits the above specs? Is there anything else on the market that comes close to these specs and is reliable?

12. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

13. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

Toshiba's always a good bet. Have had 3 Toshiba laptops, and non have broken down. In fact, I still have my first one that I got 7 years ago.

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Fooled around with the sliders a little bit, but I'm also looking for advice on brands, reliability, etc. that I've been cobbling together from a variety of sources, some of which I consider questionable.

15. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Asus makes quality hardware, but they cut corners in other areas to be able to offer the kind of prices they do. Pray to god nothing you get from them is defective, because I swear their customer service department is located in hell: http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Asus

16. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Is it possible to replace processing units in a computer? I have a single core AMD Sempron 140 Processor and would maybe like to upgrade.

17. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Good to know. I've just heard a horror story about Sony, so now I've officially heard an unexpected computer failure story about every major brand I was looking into.

Desktop or laptop? Generally, you can in desktops so long as the motherboard supports the new processor.

18. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Desktop, a Dell Inspiron 570, to be precise

19. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Yes, I think this should do nicely, it is 3.2GHz (500MHz faster) and is dual core instead of single core. this also works, 300MHz faster and quad core

I tried changing my graphics card on a dual monitor set up, changed it and when I plugged it in I got blinking underscores on both screens, when I changed the card back I got the same problem.

20. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Dell, HP, and all tend to make excellent business laptops but junky consumer models.

Get a SSD for your laptop (or get a laptop with a SSD), the difference in performance is huge.

I'd probably aim for a laptop without an optical drive, I use it rarely enough that it's wasted size/weight on a laptop.

I probably wouldn't risk trying to put a higher TDP part in a Dell machine.

Best AM3 CPU you can get at 45W TDP is the Athlon II X4 620e. Easiest place to grab it is probably ebay, there's a seller offering them new at $90 for "buy it now" prices.