1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Discussion in 'Computer Talk' started by Methos, Oct 7, 2009.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

It's actually a Sharp LCD TV. But it's doubled as my desktop's monitor for 5+ years without any problem.

The really weird thing is there's no issue at all if I turn it on after Windows has loaded. It's only if it's already on when the computer is turned on that this will happen.

Avast! is a little resource heavy for my liking, I recently uninstalled it from all my systems and installed MSE instead. MS Security Essentials will do the same job at a fraction of the resources. :)

2. Meteor Man

Meteor Man En Route to M81

Then don't turn the monitor on before...? :lol: Sorry that I can't help you.

3. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Its a good idea though to have a secondary on-demand antivirus. Dont do two realtime ones because that can make a mess of things.

4. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

I went for years without an anti-virus. Toughens you up and makes me feel like a man. :lol:

5. Esckey

Esckey Deity

seem to be having a problem with Abode Flash, get nothing but green screen on many videos and if it's not a green screen then it's very choppy. Anyone have any ideas how to fix it or a link to an older version?

6. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

When saving things to my second hard drive I'm hearing a clicking sound that's new. Does that mean the HDD is on it's way to dieing?

7. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

Try right clicking on a video, click 'settings', untick 'enable hardware acceleration'.

It's probably failing mechanically. Back the heck up if you haven't already.

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Wish I could back up. My DVD drive and my external HDD are both not working :sad:

9. Esckey

Esckey Deity

No more greenscreen but it usually very choppy and sometimes causes my browser to crash

10. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to reset my phone's wireless card (or w/e it uses for internet) without having to reboot the whole phone? It's a Samsung Galaxy S II.

2. Every day, when I start tethering for the first time for the day, I get the "Choose Network Location" dialog box, with the standard 3 options (home network, work network, public network), and each new day, the network number goes up. Is there a limit how high that can go? It's Windows 7 64 bit. Also, is it possible to stop that number from rising every time I start a new tether for the day?

11. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

By any chance, do you have RealPlayer installed? It's known to interfere with youTube, particularly in Firefox.

12. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

That's interesting. I used that for several months and suffered no issues (Chrome).

13. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Cycle in and out of airplane mode.

14. shadowplay

shadowplay (boss music)

15. PlutonianEmpire

How do I set my browser to always use https?

16. Chairman Meow

Chairman Meow Class IV

In general you can't. I do seem to remember, though, an addon for Firefox called "https everywhere" that automatically sends you to the https version of many sites that support it.

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I noticed in Firefox 13 if I leave a tab alone for long enough it'll refresh automatically when I go back to it. This annoys me. How do I turn this off?

18. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

I have been sent a large table in Excel, which only takes up 23 lines vertically but many, many more horizontally. I wish to print this to be able to work with it in the flesh; how do I do this in a way which leaves the information comprehensible as a table?

19. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Printing in horizontal format should do the trick if there are not too many horizontal entries. Else try decreasing the font size so the columns don't take up so much space.

20. PlutonianEmpire

What do I do if I suspect someone has been hacking into my computer while I sleep, turning it on and deleting stuff, then turning it back off before I wake up?