Computer Questions Not Worth Their Own Thread II

Yes, it is a headset.

Ok, I am using a 1TB HDD in an enclosure as supplemental storage for my laptop (which now has a 256GB SSD).

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be using the drive (D:\OffSite Storage) for yet, but I figure it would be smart to password protect it at the very least, if not encrypt it.

1. if I encrypt the disk, will that cause read/write delays? It's already a pretty slow drive - one of the reasons i removed it from the laptop. So if I use it to store my Steam games and it's encrypted, I assume that would further slow down the time to open a game?

2. If I only want to password protect it, which of the Groups or Usernames should I grant which permissions? I am the only user on this laptop, but I do worry about losing the laptop or the drive. I'd prefer to turn off permissions for everyone but me.

3. Do these listed Security properties travel with the drive? If I plug the drive in to my wife's laptop will the permissions remain the same, as an administrator on her machine will she have access to OffSite Storage? How would I obtain access to the drive if it's plugged into her machine?

upload_2019-1-31_18-47-32.png

Does anyone have any experience with electronic laboratory notebooks?

I work in an academic environment, and have recently moved from a more operational role to a more research role. My day to day work involves writing code, running it and examining the results, then tweak and repeat. My results vary from a few bytes to a few gigabytes, and each version will be deprecated by the next one so I generally delete them after I have worked out what is wrong with them. I have just been told that I have to keep all instances of all analysis I run, both code and results.

I keep all my code in git, but this is not really suitable for storing gigabytes of effectively binary data. There must be tools out there for this, but searching "digital lab book" brings up tools that seem designed for the wet lab researcher not a computational researcher. Does anyone have any recommendations or pointers? I do all my work in linux.

Are you prohibited from keeping your older files in a cloud solution of some kind (such as Dropbox, or Microsoft's OneDrive)? Does the lab/class have an internal server?

Are you prohibited from keeping your older files in a cloud solution of some kind (such as Dropbox, or Microsoft's OneDrive)? Does the lab/class have an internal server?
I am not prohibited from anything really, but the size of the data would seem to indicate a local solution would be better. We do have servers, and I have pretty good lattitude on installing stuff on some of them. I could possibly even make the case for someone in IT to maintain any solution for me, but that is not a given.

I'm not exactly sure what I'll be using the drive (D:\OffSite Storage) for yet, but I figure it would be smart to password protect it at the very least, if not encrypt it.

"Password protection" without encryption is entirely ineffective. If you're talking about Windows permissions, all that will effectively do is prevent local access from non-admin accounts on your PC.

1. if I encrypt the disk, will that cause read/write delays? It's already a pretty slow drive - one of the reasons i removed it from the laptop. So if I use it to store my Steam games and it's encrypted, I assume that would further slow down the time to open a game?

Probably best way to tell would be to run some benchmarks (CystalDiskMark is probably good for that purpose) with it, then encrypt with BitLocker, then run Benchmarks again.

Does anyone have any experience with electronic laboratory notebooks?

I work in an academic environment, and have recently moved from a more operational role to a more research role. My day to day work involves writing code, running it and examining the results, then tweak and repeat. My results vary from a few bytes to a few gigabytes, and each version will be deprecated by the next one so I generally delete them after I have worked out what is wrong with them. I have just been told that I have to keep all instances of all analysis I run, both code and results.

I keep all my code in git, but this is not really suitable for storing gigabytes of effectively binary data. There must be tools out there for this, but searching "digital lab book" brings up tools that seem designed for the wet lab researcher not a computational researcher. Does anyone have any recommendations or pointers? I do all my work in linux.

Yeah, this really sounds like a problem for IT. Reliably storing many gb of data is not at all something you should be doing as an end user, and is, IMHO, pretty miserable work.

Baseline for effective storage would be something like Git LFS following the 3-2-1 backup rule for the entire repository. To really do it well you'd want some kind of checksumming procedure to avoid bitrot or corruption from propagating through the backups.

What's a good Linux distro for a virtual machine? Preferably one that's hard to mess up. I'm not sure how I did it, but I managed to render five separate Linux VMs completely unbootable.

What's a good Linux distro for a virtual machine? Preferably one that's hard to mess up. I'm not sure how I did it, but I managed to render five separate Linux VMs completely unbootable.
Mint is usually stable and new user-friendly which is why I use it. I keep a bootup pendrive for accessing weird partitions and such.

I think Mint was actually one of the ones I wrecked. Though I'm thinking now maybe I just misconfigured VirtualBox itself and not the actual VMs. I'll try it again.

I'm looking at a website that starts with ps:// instead of https://

What is this? I've never seen it before.

know nothing about computers , nothing at all but if ı type such an adress to the webcafe it will never work . So , possibly it's not a good thing .

I'm looking at a website that starts with ps:// instead of https://

What is this? I've never seen it before.
The bit at the start of the address is the scheme. There is a list here, and ps is not on it. Are you sure you have not deleted the first 3 characters of https?

After three years, my headphones had given up the ghost...well, cable actually. Still...bad timing, this month I probably won't be able to spend much more than 1000 CZK (40 EUR) on them. For comparison, the HyperX Cloud I bought three years ago had cost me twice that much.

I don't care about mic, all I need is good enclosed design, good sound especially for music and movies, and durable cable. So, anyone can recommend something from experience?

I have the Corsair Void pair. They have a mic, but the sound is great. Mine are the USB version, but you can get them wireless too.

I made a Hitler downfall parody and I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm supposed to upload it to Youtube. It is here FWIW.

Last edited:
I made a Hitler downfall parody and I'm having trouble figuring out how I'm supposed to upload it to Youtube. It is here FWIW.
Can you save the video file from within that site's dashboard?

If not, you can right click on the video while it's playing and click Save Video. It should save as an .mp4, and you can then upload that to YouTube.

Can you save the video file from within that site's dashboard?

If not, you can right click on the video while it's playing and click Save Video. It should save as an .mp4, and you can then upload that to YouTube.

I tried the right-click/save video and it uploaded but it went without the captions.

Top Bottom