1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CQUI - A UI Overhaul (Now out on Steam Workshop!)

Reduce clicks and manage your empire faster

1. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Been fiddling with your custom MinimapPanel.xml file just to reduce its output parameters at 1.5 ratio instead of twice as large with this code snippet;

-------------------
    <Container Size="300,278" ID="MiniMap" Anchor="L,B" Offset="-3,0" ConsumeMouse="0">
    <SlideAnim Size="parent,parent" ID="CollapseAnim" Begin="0,0" End="0,195" Function="OutQuint" FunctionPower="1" Speed="2" Cycle="Once" Stopped="1">
    <SlideAnim Size="parent,parent" ID="ExpandAnim" Begin="0,0" End="0,-195" Function="OutQuint" FunctionPower="3" Speed="2" Cycle="Once" Stopped="1">
    <Image Texture="MiniMap_WoodBacking" Offset="-5,7" Size="416,304"/>
    <Image ID="MinimapImage" Anchor ="L,B" Offset="18,21" Texture="MiniMap_BG.dds" ToolTip="LOC_HUD_MINIMAP_TOOLTIP" StretchMode="Fill" Sampler="Linear" Size="384,256">
    <Button ID="CollapseButton" Anchor="R,T" AnchorSide="I,O" Offset="3,3" Size="47,16" Hidden="0" Texture="Controls_Collapse.dds" ToolTip="LOC_HUD_MINIMAP_COLLAPSE_TOOLTIP" />
    <Button ID="ExpandButton" Anchor="R,T" AnchorSide="I,O" Offset="3,3" Size="47,16" Hidden="1" ConsumeAllMouse="1" Texture="Controls_ButtonExtend.dds" ToolTip="LOC_HUD_MINIMAP_EXPAND_TOOLTIP" />
    -----------------

Use these values, if you want to! ;)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  2. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

Thanks for sharing! One of the planned features is to offer multiple minimap sizes, so having another one already prepared is going to be a big timesaver for me :thumbsup:

3. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Pleasure -- any time; just had to alter the Container size slightly though == "300,278" ..

And, if you'll be looking for an extra challenge in the near future - i'd love to see your take on this suggestion, please!

This way, we would no longer need the "Show Details" option anymore & the horrible big tall Panel for each Civ with a weird stack of six strings pushed to the right!
    Red values should indicate who leads and those MockUp colors for each type were approximation only.

4. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

This is a great concept, but allow me to bounce a counter-proposal: Instead of color-coding, just have a header icon at the top representing each category. The yield icons are already there for pretty much all of the score categories, so finding appropriate art resources shouldn't be an issue. Doing this also lets us color code all scores instead of just the leader, ranging from good green to bad red. Using colors is nice because it would offer a relative scale to contrast with the absolute scale presented by the number values, all while being very information-dense without sacrificing ease of use

5. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

Well -- up to ya!

It would be nice to have referencing Symbols as hint (maybe inserted straight into the Advisor section as an extra "Bubble" or altogether replacing the current banner where the details selector is), i agree. At first i wanted to use the "Tooltips" feature (mimic what culture does with Tourism details) but considering six components were necessary and ideally, removing the extra expanding panels step was a primary objective.. i discarded the Tooltip solution.

The trick should be to find the correct framework calibration as to align every six types correctly since every games can offer high range (sic-width scaling concerns) of values.. leading & Total (add some = character at the end of that combo string??) included. I like your idea for a gradient principle to expose gaps between Civ(s) + Categories.. which is the most optimal palette for such a task though? Green/Red is generally familiar to most people and yet, there are so many coloring conventions & effects in this Firaxis design, we just have to dig deeper into the whole "concept" to follow through the general feel of the UI assets. I'll leave that to ya a swell!

The main reasoning here is that the panel should (then) host as many as *13* Civ Stats boxes (on 1920x1080) all at once to consult.. and if you insert the Ref-Icons within it, you'd lose that last or first (Egypt) slot to make HUD-room for them! Again, up to ya.

I'd like to suggest doing a stand-alone version for this stuff.. initially, so we can test that device while *YOU* develop it.
    Thanks & good luck. :)

6. chaorace

chaorace Warlord

I can't help but feel like I've been ambushed by someone with a lot more design chops than they've originally let on. ;)
    The advice is much appreciated, cheers!

7. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Worst advice ever. :splat:
    Unless a modder specifically says go ahead and use my mod in yours ALWAYS have the courtesy to ask.

Nizrael and astog like this.
  8. gliz

gliz Chieftain

You have 362 messages on an obscure video game forum.

9. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1.0.png Cheers mate

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  10. heinous_hat

heinous_hat Prince

Hello

Having a tough time in city view with the tile purchase and citizen icons being permanently enabled. Any chance these can get a toggle with a memory state?

11. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Prince

been using this mod and loving it. btw how to disable default QUI: Show Luxury? i dont want to set as default

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  13. hermes11

hermes11 Chieftain

I had a thought yesterday when I saw chaorace added the trade route mod, you shouldn't add mods just for the sake of adding them, to make a "super mod" to make it more convenient for people. That's an easy way to end up with outdated mods you can't update.

Chaorace should add mods if he plans to modify them in such a way that it needs to be integrated into the rest of the mod, or the other mod changes in such a way that it breaks compatibility with CQUI. Otherwise, there is not really a need for the mod to be integrated.

14. anandus

anandus Errorist

Of course, I agree.
    But both mods are relatively simple 'concept mod-components', which shouldn't be too hard to incorporate, I assume.
    It's more the idea (eg. a unit screen and tile-expansion prediction), than those particular mods, but why invent the wheel twice?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  15. hermes11

hermes11 Chieftain

No one should reinvent the wheel. If you look at the files in the mods, there is currently no overlap between CQUI and Unit Report Screen. So they're 100% compatible with each other with no overlapping functionality or conflict.

I have no problem with mods being integrated where it makes sense (if CQUI makes changes to the Unit Report Screen that are not compatible with the existing mod, or if Unit Report Screen adds other components that break compatibility with CQUI), but there is no point adding the Unit Report Screen if they're totally compatible without conflict. Better to make changes to Unit Report Screen.

Otherwise, you can easily find yourself in a situation where the Unit Report Screen in CQUI is lacking features that get added to the next versions of Unit Report Screen standalone mod, and the Unit Report Screen standalone mod is lacking features that were changed in CQUI's Unit Report Screen.

16. Guynemer

Guynemer King

Been using the latest build from github. This has the workings of a major upgrade to the game, kudos.

My one and only suggestion would be the ability to customize what exactly are shown on the city banners. The icons for districts are infinitely excellent. The letters for missing city district buildings are infinitely not. Unfortunately, they stick out like a sore thumb. Different color font for pop growth and border growth and amenities wouldn't go amiss either. Everything else about this is terrific.

17. Daft73

Daft73 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  18. Zyxpsilon

Zyxpsilon Running Spider

@chaorace .. another ambush attempt! :)

I miss the Vanilla Great-People HUD structure and its cool "boxes". I wouldn't ming losing the big orbs & still re-use your symbols only in that space though.

So this sample MockUp only does two very simply thing...

-- Recalibrate the space between each panels as to leave just 8 pixels instead of the default 48.
    -- Relocate the Prophet to the far right slot. How often should anyone have to scroll away for *IT* in each of their games? Honestly.. maybe ONCE to activate.

There might still be some room to prevent the Musician from being about 60/80 pixels off the right margin, btw.
    I understand your initial concept must have been extensive UI components fiddling.. but, as they say -- perfection is rare while Opinions are numerous! ;)
    Please??

PS; I've also been considering how to represent the Eras tagging system with specific colors applied to each symbols instead of having to drop a string to indicate it in the panels. Refer to my Z-Eras+Center mod for more details.

19. Rapsynrev

Rapsynrev Chieftain

Could you include GPP per turn in the GP screen? I have been looking for a good place to do that. Also, is there a way to have a popup that displays the rewards from projects (ie how much gold/culture/etc and how many GPP you get)? It would be nice to actually see my rewards (it would also be nice to see what the reward WILL be before starting the project but that's a different problem...).

20. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Prince

can u make this mod compatible with JFD's Rule of Faith? I think the latest build is not compatible because of the tech tree

EDIT: Nevermind already fixed it. Just comment some xml and lua to make it compatible :D thanks again for this mod

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016