1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Can we keep the Plaza reactions out of this thread? We know almost nothing about the new DLC and you're already accusing them of being pathetic for daring to set too high a price for your assumed expectations.

2. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Speaking of the PI forums, there's apparently a currently on-going 11 page thread that was started about 5 hours ago about why Charlemagne shouldn't be called Charlemagne and how Charlemagne isn't French and why that is terrible.

Ah, you never fail to impress me, PI forums.

3. Arakhor

I saw that thread, but going by the logic of the OP, Carolus Magnus is also a terrible name and you should feel bad, because of course Karl der Große was not Roman.

4. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Time to raid earlier!

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Same here, I'll give them a chance to flesh it out. I'd definitely pick it up on Steam sale, I'll wait to see if it is worth getting on release.

QUESTION TIME!!!

Which would be less painful: a) reading a bunch of PI forum threads like this one, or b) punching yourself repeatedly in the balls?

6. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

Can I take the third option AKA raid?

7. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Currently it's the rpg/flavor event stuff that's interesting me the most. With this expansion I do hope PI's flavor events and such will be more... consistent, in terms of quality and focusing on several aspects at once. On one hand we have had some nifty stuff like the demon spawn or the republic patrician feuds, on the other hand we have the Jewish Passover decision that even a newbie modder could've made in less than an hour (and probably done it better too).

Depends on what sort of PI forum threads. I mean CKII threads tend to be bearable, EUIV threads not as much, especially once they delve into technology or Europe in relation to the rest of the world and stuff like that. In the case of the latter, punching myself repeatedly in the balls is preferable, I suppose.

8. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

Can we keep being butthurt fanboyism out of this thread then as well? From the description the expansion has way less content than the old gods, yet it has a higher price. If you are happy with increasingly paying more for less, good for you, but not all of us are so blind.

9. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

The problem is that what you're doing is overreacting too soon to not much information, that all we have of is a title, a short description that's barely 6 lines, and a couple of images. It's possible that this may end up being overpriced, but we don't know virtually anything yet. Hell, paradox hasn't even set a release date yet. Wait until the dev diaries, etc., before making such sharp judgement.

10. Arakhor

Butthurt fanboyism? Really? Whatever makes you feel good on the internet, I suppose.

11. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

if you expect something big being announced after the basics, who am i to lift you from that dream. Barely 6 lines is al what Res publica had in its final release description. And like said, previuos expansions were cheaper but had way more in their initial announcement. That's a clear sign

For 20euro i expect something strong gameplay orientated, or a major opening of options like old gods or RoI had (especially with a game that in total is already close to €200). what's now on the table is nowhere near that and if you point to that the response is "dont say that here, say it on PI cause we onnly want positive buttkissing sounds here". Yeah i'm the one overreacting

12. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

We don't actually know what kind of content the release entails though. "Regency overhaul" for example, could potentially be huge, or it could just be a few minor tweaks. Same applies to most of that feature list.

I get the feeling you're just mad about Res Publica. No reason to hate on this prematurely though.

13. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I think scheva is missing the part where the DLC isn't a requirement to play the game, and that everybody is free not to buy something they don't like.

Feel free to play the other Crusader Kings-esque offerings.

14. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

A poster on the PI forums who appears to be have been at Gamescoms with the dev mentioned that the devs told him about a few other features:

If true that seems interesting - I wonder if the tribal holdings will somehow be involved in better simulating tribal migrations and that sort of thing. I'm pessimistic in such a case won't really work that well, or at least "realistically" (whatever that means), but whatever.

Oh, and the thread it's from.

15. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

A tribal holding will be interesting. The new elective is alas not.

I have to wait and see to observe how the vassal limit will pay off.

16. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I think it is premature to form any conclusions. So much of what has been announced is vague, and it's certainly possible there's more that has not been announced. It could be that it's simply not worth $20, or it could wind up being a really great expansion worth the price. Paradox may have done themselves a disservice by hyping it up and announcing the price so early while the features are not entirely known to the general public, but it's too early to make a judgement on the value.

And indeed, it certainly isn't necessary to buy the DLC. I haven't bought any of the EU4 expansions, and it's still lots of fun with quite a few updates.

In terms of marketing strategy, rather than announce a price (particularly one above what precedent has set) and then announce features, Paradox might do well to take a tip from Steve Ballmer on how to make things seem like a great bargain:

Link to video.

17. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

woah dang a clock that plays reversi

Can your expansion play Reversi, Paradox? Can it even tell time? You make me sick. 0/10 would not expand.

18. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

so ironic... Cause Paradox games are the games where you need dlc the most of all.... You might not be interested in playing the byzantine empire, but if you want actual gameplay of for example retinues, you need it. It wont be any different here

"yeah you dont need the dlc, but if you want the full experience like we intended it, best buy it". Do you seriously only recommend the base game to people should they ask?

19. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

So the issue is with elements of the DLC not being free? Please tell me how the content of the DLC is requirement? I managed to play EU4 without the trade DLC for instance. True it adds to the game but it is not required. Paradox are not forcing you at gunpoint to get these features; you could choose at your leisure if you want them or not.

Though scepticism is healthy (as Impire warned me of when Paradox does make mistakes) outright pessimism is as disastrous as a zealot. No one forced you to buy Sunset Invasion after all, though I enjoy it greatly if not for the extra challenge and the fun of the sweet ironies bought forth. As Sone says you did not require the DLC to play the game; vanila CK2 was quite fun in itself, as I remember the great fun I had in my game as Poland... which ended with my "wise" decision to name a heir Abel (when I got to him I got assassinated) and my last ruler (a old king of Croatia) getting conquered.

20. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

And thats also why i didnt buy sunset invasion. Because it didnt add substantial gameplay. I mentioned legacy of Rome as a dlc that did that (res publica for the dutch is another example, american dream for USA is another), only you chose to ignore that.....

If one of the main features of the dlc is just more people you have the -15 foreigner penalty with, yes, that is quite underwhelming