Crusader Kings 2

Alright, so what does everything think of the Charlemagne expansion coming out?

To be honest I'm pretty underwhelmed. This seems more like a $10 expansion (really $5 if it weren't for the timeline expansion) rather than the biggest thing ever. The 769 start date is way to far back to my liking and could have issues even the 867 start date doesn't have, for one. The features in and of themselves don't seem that bad, actually, just underwhelming. Otherwise, I'm just concerned they haven't mentioned much about the features, and I'm wondering exactly what is the stuff they haven't announced.

Anyhow, we do have a slightly less vague feature list up here: http://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusader-kings-ii-charlemagne

• New Earlier bookmark, 769, almost 100 more years of Crusader Kings II
  • Special story event series for Charlemagne
  • Annual Chronicle in the style of the Saxon chronicle
  • Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name.
  • Dozens of new cultures.
  • Brand new system for climate and seasonal transitions.
  • Regency overhaul

Also on the forums a dev mentioned in a random post there will be a lot of rpg flavor for all rulers, not just Charlemagne.

€20 is a huge ripoff for just that. You basicly buy a character, which undoubtly will be interesting to play. But maybe once, or two. And then just some random non-important stuff like customizable flags. And new cultures arent that hugely important...

And seasonal transitions? Apparently paradox still dont know that the majority barely looks at the terrain mapmode.

Paradox is really squeezing everything out of the customers with their expansions....Res publica was an expansion of 5 note-lines, which should have been in wealth of nations, and this is just pathetic....

Majority barely look at terrain mapmode? Did you do a survey or something? I tend to use the terrain mapmode a lot.

The rpg elements will be perhaps interesting.

I use terrain as a base because it doesn't constantly overload my senses with rainbow power blasts.

New Earlier bookmark, 769, almost 100 more years of Crusader Kings II
Special story event series for Charlemagne
Annual Chronicle in the style of the Saxon chronicle
Custom Kingdoms and Empires, create a new title from a lower-tier title, can customize flag and name.
Dozens of new cultures.
Brand new system for climate and seasonal transitions.
Regency overhaul

ANNUAL CHRONICLE AND REGENCY I AM EXCITED

Paradox is really squeezing everything out of the customers with their expansions....Res publica was an expansion of 5 note-lines, which should have been in wealth of nations, and this is just pathetic....

Can we keep the Plaza reactions out of this thread? We know almost nothing about the new DLC and you're already accusing them of being pathetic for daring to set too high a price for your assumed expectations.

Can we keep the Plaza reactions out of this thread? We know almost nothing about the new DLC and you're already accusing them of being pathetic for daring to set too high a price for your assumed expectations.

Speaking of the PI forums, there's apparently a currently on-going 11 page thread that was started about 5 hours ago about why Charlemagne shouldn't be called Charlemagne and how Charlemagne isn't French and why that is terrible.

Ah, you never fail to impress me, PI forums.

I saw that thread, but going by the logic of the OP, Carolus Magnus is also a terrible name and you should feel bad, because of course Karl der Große was not Roman.

I agree, this isn't a $20 expansion, but a lot of it still interests me.

Same here, I'll give them a chance to flesh it out. I'd definitely pick it up on Steam sale, I'll wait to see if it is worth getting on release.

Speaking of the PI forums, there's apparently a currently on-going 11 page thread that was started about 5 hours ago about why Charlemagne shouldn't be called Charlemagne and how Charlemagne isn't French and why that is terrible.

QUESTION TIME!!!

Which would be less painful: a) reading a bunch of PI forum threads like this one, or b) punching yourself repeatedly in the balls?

Currently it's the rpg/flavor event stuff that's interesting me the most. With this expansion I do hope PI's flavor events and such will be more... consistent, in terms of quality and focusing on several aspects at once. On one hand we have had some nifty stuff like the demon spawn or the republic patrician feuds, on the other hand we have the Jewish Passover decision that even a newbie modder could've made in less than an hour (and probably done it better too).

QUESTION TIME!!!

Which would be less painful: a) reading a bunch of PI forum threads like this one, or b) punching yourself repeatedly in the balls?

Depends on what sort of PI forum threads. I mean CKII threads tend to be bearable, EUIV threads not as much, especially once they delve into technology or Europe in relation to the rest of the world and stuff like that. In the case of the latter, punching myself repeatedly in the balls is preferable, I suppose.

Can we keep being butthurt fanboyism out of this thread then as well? From the description the expansion has way less content than the old gods, yet it has a higher price. If you are happy with increasingly paying more for less, good for you, but not all of us are so blind.

Can we keep being butthurt fanboyism out of this thread then as well? From the description the expansion has way less content than the old gods, yet it has a higher price. If you are happy with increasingly paying more for less, good for you, but not all of us are so blind.

The problem is that what you're doing is overreacting too soon to not much information, that all we have of is a title, a short description that's barely 6 lines, and a couple of images. It's possible that this may end up being overpriced, but we don't know virtually anything yet. Hell, paradox hasn't even set a release date yet. Wait until the dev diaries, etc., before making such sharp judgement.

Butthurt fanboyism? Really? Whatever makes you feel good on the internet, I suppose.

The problem is that what you're doing is overreacting too soon to not much information, that all we have of is a title, a short description that's barely 6 lines, and a couple of images. It's possible that this may end up being overpriced, but we don't know virtually anything yet. Hell, paradox hasn't even set a release date yet. Wait until the dev diaries, etc., before making such sharp judgement.

if you expect something big being announced after the basics, who am i to lift you from that dream. Barely 6 lines is al what Res publica had in its final release description. And like said, previuos expansions were cheaper but had way more in their initial announcement. That's a clear sign

For 20euro i expect something strong gameplay orientated, or a major opening of options like old gods or RoI had (especially with a game that in total is already close to €200). what's now on the table is nowhere near that and if you point to that the response is "dont say that here, say it on PI cause we onnly want positive buttkissing sounds here". Yeah i'm the one overreacting

We don't actually know what kind of content the release entails though. "Regency overhaul" for example, could potentially be huge, or it could just be a few minor tweaks. Same applies to most of that feature list.

I get the feeling you're just mad about Res Publica. No reason to hate on this prematurely though.

I think scheva is missing the part where the DLC isn't a requirement to play the game, and that everybody is free not to buy something they don't like.

Feel free to play the other Crusader Kings-esque offerings.

A poster on the PI forums who appears to be have been at Gamescoms with the dev mentioned that the devs told him about a few other features:

I spoke with a couple of devs, and these concerns were brought up. Here is what I've been told (in brief for now since I'm posting by phone. More later)

A new type of holding: tribal. A lot of the map in 769, and maybe even in 867, will be tribal holdings. Vassals who are tribal will not provide levies, but you can call them to war as allies. So best keep them happy.

A new limit: Vassal limit. It's what it sounds like to encourage more delegation to big Vassals. Higher Crown law *lowers* Vassal limit, so there's the payoff.

A new succession type: elective gavel kind. The election has to be from your dynasty like tanistry, but on succession some Vassals will have the option to go independent.

Hope I'm allowed to actually share this. When I'm at a pc I'll go into more detail maybe

If true that seems interesting - I wonder if the tribal holdings will somehow be involved in better simulating tribal migrations and that sort of thing. I'm pessimistic in such a case won't really work that well, or at least "realistically" (whatever that means), but whatever.

Oh, and the thread it's from.

Top Bottom