1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

I really hope not. The dark ages need their own game, the Frankish feudal model from the high Middle Ages they use wouldn't work well with the migration era, at any rate.

Even the English melting pot can be wonky. From my experience as a modder, melting pots are notoriously frustrating to deal with, not so much in the difficulty of coding them (Kyou only really need a little experience to pull one off, or just copypasta the English one), but because they can be very unpredictable. For instance, in the old version of the CKII+ mod there was a Crusader/Outremer/Levantine melting pot, but it was really wonky and sometimes you'd see the cultur in random parts of Europe.

In one of the streams they mentioned there wouldn't be any great shiscm - they'd considered it but decided it wasn't worth the effort.

2. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Yeah, unfortunately. :undecide:

3. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

New dev diary up, kinda short, but talks about 1) dynamically created kingdoms and empires, 2) the chronicle thingymajig, and 3) going into hiding. LInk: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...emagne-Dev-Diary-2-Kings-Queens-and-Murderers

I know that a lot of people are excited about dynamically created kingdoms and empires, but they look boring to me. I'm most interested in the hiding aspect, which seems like a nice RP feature.

Text for those who can't/don't want to see the link:

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yeah, if you start adding a bunch of location-specific conditions amongst others, then chances are the events won't fire and you won't have the cultural development. If you put down too few, then you get oddball effects. Kind of a Goldilocks problem.

The Game of Thrones mod tried to work colonization into the game, but I think it's clunky. It'd be hard to pull off without a massive redesign.

:(

I wish I had player-created kingdoms in my current game. I'm playing as a massively powerful duke of Saxony that is split between East Francia and Pommerania. I eventually sacked the rest of Pommerania and grabbed that king title because I can't expand in the HRE at the moment.

5. uat2d

uat2d ಠ_ಠ

The schism is for the next DLC! It will only be 9.99$!

6. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I doubt it. If they're not covering the Schism now, they're not going to. They're hardly EA.

7. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

Thing is, regarding the Schism, to all intents and purposes, the western and eastern churches were separate even by Charlemange's time. It just wasn't formally codified for a another couple of centuries. And even then, the exact date they formally did so is pretty hard to pinpoint.

8. calad

calad Emperor

When Pope crowned Charlemange can be pointed both de facto and de jure schism starting point. There were supposed to be only one Emperor in Constantinople and now Pope made clear to everybody that Byzantines did not control west and he was equal or higher.

9. PhroX

PhroX Emperor

But even before that, the east and western churches still acted like seperate organisations.

10. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Third dev diary for Charlemagne is up. Link here: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...-II-Charlemagne-Dev-Diary-3-Ruling-the-Unruly

And, again, for those who can't go to the link or are too lazy:

Some things to note:
    - So the tension between decentralization and centralization is getting a pretty big revamp. I'm liking what I hear, but whether it works out in practice, we shall see.
    - The viceroy system sounds pretty useful for realms that don't follow the Western European feudal model. A few people in the thread expressed worries it might be OP, and I think their concerns are legitimate, but we will have to see how the viceroys play out.
    - Designating a regent kinda like an insurance of sorts sounds like a pretty good idea.
    - Also, this is apparently the second to last dev diary. Kinda surprises me, to be honest, I really don't think Charlemagne is ready for release just quite yet...

11. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

Finally, I don't have to look for celibate old guys just to hold one more damn title for half a generation.

12. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I liked about everything I saw in that update.

13. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

ive got the feeling that just like the india dlc, it will first have some serious bugs (like inheriting revolt title was), and then make ironman even more of a drag because of the chronicle system

14. Double A

I tried Ironman once. It involved a lot of autosaving. Far too much. Could not change.

15. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

That was changed from every month to every six months, which I think is a lot more reasonable.

16. Double A

Yeah it being every month is essentially the same thing as my regular saving practices.

17. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Last Charlemagne dev diary up. Goes into the tribal mechanics, as well as the changelog. Though I still ultimately have mixed feelings about Charlemagne, I do like what I see in this dev diary. Unfortunately it does appear that the changelog doesn't mention everything that'll be added, and it appears some stuff were left out of the dev diaries, but oh well.

Link: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...r-Kings-II-Charlemagne-Dev-Diary-4-The-Tribes

For those too lazy to go to the PI forums:

18. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

I really like all of this.

19. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Same here, I like the sound of the new tribal mechanics. I figure there will be a couple balancing problems, but nothing that can't be fixed in a patch.

20. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

I like this, although I can hear the cries of "catering for casuals" from miles away already.