1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Crusader Kings 2

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by SouthernKing, Nov 10, 2011.

1. cybrxkhan

cybrxkhan Asian Xwedodah

Really? I actually haven't seen much comment about that in the forums, and if there was any it was praise (assuming it is a tutorial thingy). Most of the entitled PI fanboi complaints are about other things, I think.

2. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

[insert joke about Ireland here]

3. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Ireland is for casual potato.
    You want actual hardcore potato? Play Lettgallians.

4. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Anyone got Charlemagne yet? Any initial impressions?

Right now I'm just kind of annoyed that all the mods I like are incompatible with the update.

5. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I just booted up my game with the patch and promptly watched my HRE implode due to vassal limits and more rebellious kings.

No to the purchased DLC yet on this side.

6. Civ'ed

Honest time here
    If you like your game serious, don't get.
    If you have no issue with Saxony blobbing everywhere except Germany and surprise Hindu Karelia, it's a must, because it's so hilariously broken.
    Charlemagne is decently tough - Aquitaine is apparently coded to be more rebellious, and otherwise, you have pretty little land - Carloman is definitely in the better position.

7. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

The big winners of each patch tend to get nerfed again to restore a semblance of balance.

8. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

So same problem as with Old Gods, where the karlings were an untangable mess/blob?

9. Nintz

Nintz King of the Britons

The general consensus is that the Karlings are a tad bit over, but the much much bigger problem is the Abbassids. They're pretty much indestructible. The Norse (Germanic) pagans are also much stronger than they should be due to the extremely low base levies, and their +levy size religion modifier. The Karlings themselves only form a united empire in about half of people's game, at least of the games on the Pdox forums.

10. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

The Abbassids and who ever replaces them after a dynasty revolt are the reason why both the Jewish and Zoroastrianism achievements are a challenge, even if you start as the Hungarians. Even in civil wars they are dangerous.

That said they can be broken (and overshadowed) by successful Shia Caliphate risings.

11. Civ'ed

I think the Shia caliph starts as a vassal of the Abbasids in 767, so that's out of the question.
    I've seen the Karlings fail miserably in an observer game - only 3 counties are currently under Karling rule. One of the successor dynasties rules over Lombardy and France. Paganwise, the Mojmirids and af Munsos are really strong, although Ragnar did pretty much nothing.
    Scary? Byzantium.

12. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

well the abbasids have been overpowered ever since they made big empires way too stable

13. Civ'ed

Update on observer game:
    Karlings are a really minor player.
    Karlings are not OP anymore.
    Oh, it might *look* OP when it's doing all the funky invading Saxony and everything else stuff, but you just know the entire thing is going to fracture the moment Charlemagne (Or Karloman) dies.
    The problem in the Old Gods is that the empires are already split up, meaning that they are all allied to each other.
    The Karlings here are only OP because of marriage mechanics.

14. Double A

Double A ♫We got the guillotine♫

There really really really needs to be a mechanic for either Muslim empires to be less stable, or for all the Christians to actually effectively band together and begin the kickings of the teeth.

15. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

There needs to be a mechanic for Muslim empires to be fun to play. decadence is crap.

16. scheva007

scheva007 Prince

conquering everyone for free is fun enough i would say. I prefer them not being an huge impenetrable fortress. they ended my Khazar-jewish tries 3 times

17. Robert FIN

Robert FIN Monty n' Roll

Hi!

Just bought CK2 from the -75% Steam sale :)! I started my first game as Doux Theodoros of Trebizond (Byzantine Duke). I've liked the game very much so far. So much things happened in 25 years (in the game years ofc). For example, I won the Emperor in a civil war for lower crown authority, the king uses me as his war commander and I've claimed two more counties but lost one of those to Seljuks Muslims that we fought back then. The King died and his son Michael took over. I arranged marriage between his sister and my heir and Michael's lil' brother stole his king title somehow. Theodoros is a talent in Martial skill and he is a "Brilliant Strategist".

I think I've been quite successful and I have gained tons of prestige and piety. I just want to know what is a decent amount of prestige/piety that a duke could gain during his life. Theodoros is now 51 and he has gained about 1000 prestige and 800 piety. Is that great or bad score? And do you have some tips?

18. madviking

madviking north american scum

your score is pretty much dependent on your rank, i.e. counts don't gain much prestige/piety as kings/emperors do. score is also pretty much irrelevant.

as for tips, there are tip guides all around the web so just look around.

19. Antilogic

Antilogic --

For a first game, that seems like a pretty successful start. MV is right on score, but I would add that it's also a time thing. If you start from the earliest time points, it will be quite easy to accumulate enough titles to break 100k score by the end of the game in the 15th century. If you start in the High Middle Ages, it will be nearly impossible for a count or a weak duke to build a dynasty that accumulates that kind of power in such a short time period.

If you are looking to maximize score, try to marry your heirs to countesses and duchesses so that you inherit the lands in the next generation (accumulating more titles). Also, be on the lookout for when you can fight holy wars, especially against weakened Muslim powers in the area (or independent small Muslim states). You can grab a lot of territory quickly with that CB. Also, favor prestige-boosting event options as they come along.

Eventually, you might want to make a play for the Imperial title. You can do that via a faction if you have good relations with other dukes and they will back you, or you can try to marry into the imperial family so that you inherit a claim on the throne. Then it's just a bloody civil war away!

20. madviking

madviking north american scum

it's a pretty satisfying feeling when you start as a random dude and become greater than the capetian dynasty, as i did with raimbaud afranje.