Cry Baby Boomers

As far as who had it "easier", I'd trade cheap gas for having the internet, 65" TVs for $500, & a supercomputer in my pocket any time.

None of these necessarily help you feed a family or found a business, which was the entire point. In fact while the internet is great it's probably a bigger productivity killer than anything available to boomers, and has lots of people addicted as a result.

Besides, these were only some examples, one could also name fiscal policy, real wages, buying power, the great return on assets, and many other things. Just like how todays generation has many structural advantages in the sphere of communication and technology, among others.

It appears that, through copious use of "well, obviously not *them*", the generalization has been whittled down to just "rich, white, American Boomers". I've lost track - have we eliminated women yet or not? While I'm not sure how such a well-refined generalization is useful, all the remaining True Scotsmen surely appreciate the insight this thread offers.

Yes, it is hard to debate a generalisation when its proponents keep changing it.

Last time I checked it was just straight white US boomer males, so they have also eliminated women, gays, bisexuals.

Not going ask about neuters or transexuals.

Yes, it is hard to debate a generalisation when its proponents keep changing it.

Last time I checked it was just straight white US boomer males, so they have also eliminated women, gays, bisexuals.

Not going ask about neuters or transexuals.
But you have forgotten that bi didn't exist until Mick Jagger showed up in the 1960s, gays didn't exist until the 1980s and trans, well, they are a product of the 2010s. Learn your history and the leftist plot to destroy American values. ;)

I find it amusing how the OP portrays previous generations before the boomers as somehow being better than them without really acknowledging the fact that those generations were far more racist and had views less favorable toward women then the boomers ever had. Sure those generations may have been more involved with protests relating to labor struggles, however the boomers were essentially the vanguard of the civil rights movement.

IMHO the OP seems to have contempt for the boomers more on the premise that they didn't do enough to stop bad labor practices from overtaking the progress of previous generations, yet at the same time fails to understand the social changes boomers were able to bring about within society. Social changes which as a matter of fact many of those previous generations would simply refuse to support.

But you have forgotten that bi didn't exist until Mick Jagger showed up in the 1960s, gays didn't exist until the 1980s and trans, well, they are a product of the 2010s. Learn your history and the leftist plot to destroy American values. ;)

That doesn't seem right, all good clean fun too...

Spoiler :

It appears that, through copious use of "well, obviously not *them*", the generalization has been whittled down to just "rich, white, American Boomers". I've lost track - have we eliminated women yet or not? While I'm not sure how such a well-refined generalization is useful, all the remaining True Scotsmen surely appreciate the insight this thread offers.
Who whittled down what generalisation? You just throwing out random posts and seeing who replies? :)

You totally did. Everyone knows there were no gays in the '80's! Boy George denied being gay until the '90s! Much less George Michael, even after that "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" video.

Who whittled down what generalisation? You just throwing out random posts and seeing who replies? :)
Oh, maybe you haven't read the whole thread. Understandable. It's meandered a bit. Here were some highlights...
OP:
So to quickly recap the world white American boomers were born into:
But very quickly...
And imho, the same clearly also goes for women (the 60s and 70s were still deeply patriarchal times), and especially so for handicapped people (inclusive cities was probably not even a thought back then). Not everyone had it easy, but white men who weren't born into poverty did have it easy.
Whittled out women, the poor, & the handicapped.
We managed to convince our grandma that Homosexual marriage is totally okay, and that the fact that some people can marry (for religious, romantic or, most importantly financial and security reasons) is a priviledge, and that whether or not she thinks it's unchristian or not, gay people should be able to marry. She did have a moment where she realized that yes, having the ability to marry and get tax breaks was instrumental for her in order to be able to raise 5 children.
Pretty sure this whittled out gay people.
@Farm Boy and @Birdjaguar
...it's not exactly a closely-held secret that discussion of the boomers as a cohort is typically centered on cis-gendered white members of that generation, particularly when in the context of a discussion of wealth and power.
Ok, if I wasn't sure before, we've definitely whittled it down to American, straight, white, male, able-bodied, Boomers at this point.
The existence of a "coddled" generation is near universal in-disputed "fact" held among Republican-voting Boomers and even the "liberal" Democratic presidential candidate. To me it would be just another dumb hypocritical opinion if it didn't have such an impact on the average white Boomer voting habits which is stifling welfare, healthcare and racial and gender equality, etc.
Hmmm... questionable - this one may have even whittled out the Bernie wing from the generalization. Tough call. I'll not count it.
Of course low-income people have had it hard.
Sadly the kind of folks with enough money to acquire a small or medium sized business are usually neither very young nor very much interested in investing in anything besides actual assets like stocks, real estate, etc.
But definitely only rich, American, straight, white, male, able-bodied, Boomers.
I think this baby boomer thing is much related to the country you talk about.
But wait, now there's a dispute if it really is just rich, American, straight, white, male, able-bodied, Boomers or not?
Nothing to correct. What I said is what I said. A few here get it (Gorbles to a T). Other's don't want to or are just focusing on the peripherals. The hang up is mostly that it's a generalization of white american boomers. Yeah it is. I don't dispute that.
Sure, but Sweden isn't the US. Sorry if that's a bit blunt.
Guess so.

So we're now at only the rich, American, straight, white, male, able-bodied, Boomers. Hope that helps.

I think it's rich, white, male American boomers who started businesses that succeeded primarily due to low gasoline prices. I guess "boomers" rolls off the tongue better though.

So we're now at only the rich, American, straight, white, male, able-bodied, Boomers. Hope that helps.
Can we whittle it down to like 100 people and just hate them?

Maybe we can find the biggest masochist attention whores on the planet and make them the scapegoats for all of humanity. Win-win

I think it's rich, white, male American boomers who started businesses that succeeded primarily due to low gasoline prices. I guess "boomers" rolls off the tongue better though.
Gasoline is crazy cheap rn. Per-captia its cheaper than any point in my lifetime.

Can we whittle it down to like 100 people and just hate them?

Maybe we can find the biggest masochist attention whores on the planet and make them the scapegoats for all of humanity. Win-win
I've volunteered my whole generation: Gen X. We literally don't GAF. If it will bring the millennials & Boomers together in solidarity we'll take the hit. For, like, peace & whatever. We'll be over here playing video games, toking, watching movies & Netflix, coding stuff, creating games/programs/websites, & chasing our Zoomers around the house during these trying times... while they both rage against us in harmony. Seems the least we can do, which to be honest is what we always look for. Win-win-win?

None of these necessarily help you feed a family or found a business, which was the entire point. In fact while the internet is great it's probably a bigger productivity killer than anything available to boomers, and has lots of people addicted as a result.

Besides, these were only some examples, one could also name fiscal policy, real wages, buying power, the great return on assets, and many other things. Just like how todays generation has many structural advantages in the sphere of communication and technology, among others.

So basically its more a matter of the world has changed than Boomers had it easier.
Cos, hay, 50% of Boomers are female and we didn't have it easier than women do now.

Oh, but I did read the thread. You've grouped a bunch of posts by different posters. Why? That wasn't me whittling down a definition. That wasn't Bugfatty. That wasn't yung. We're not all the same person.

You're combining together every time someone was debating how parts of a generation were affected in a specific way. That doesn't mean they still didn't benefit from the time they were born into. There are people who benefited less, of course. Like the house example I mentioned. Which you obviously read, right? ;) And of course there are exceptions. But exceptions don't rule out "anyone who isn't rich". It rules out the poor and the destitute. There's a difference.

This reads as being in very bad faith, right? Maybe you justify it because you thought my previous response was a bit catty. Maybe that's why there's the attitude. I can only assume. For my part, it was a second post you'd dropped a non-sequitur and not explained yourself very well:
As far as who had it "easier", I'd trade cheap gas for having the internet, 65" TVs for $500, & a supercomputer in my pocket any time.
Hence my style of reply.

-----‐--------------
Thanks for proving once again that you don't want discussion, you just want to provide
strawmen ;)

Well the % spent on food have gone down.

That is not what the OP claims. He clearly states that anyone who wasn't white had it very difficult, irregardless of beeing a boomer. And imho, the same clearly also goes for women (the 60s and 70s were still deeply patriarchal times), and especially so for handicapped people (inclusive cities was probably not even a thought back then). Not everyone had it easy, but white men who weren't born into poverty did have it easy.
You see what you want to see. You see the end result, not the time then they was young and poor. The information I can find tell a quite different story about 50s, 60s and 70s than as an easy time.

Last edited:
Gas prices...remember to adjust for inflation.

Gas from the mid 80's through all of the 90's was just as cheap, if not cheaper than it was in the 60's-70's. Wasn't until 2004 that gas prices shot up, and stayed up.
Timeline of major events along with the prices:
https://www.titlemax.com/discovery-...tomobiles/average-gas-prices-through-history/
Same data, just the numbers, no timeline of events, no pics, no nonsense:
https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicle...storical-annual-gasoline-pump-price-1929-2015

The above is for regular gasoline, below is for all types (regular, premium, ethanol added, etc.):

I know it's 2017 dollars instead of 2015, but according to this, adjusted for inflation gas prices stayed the same (plus or minus a dime or two) since 1978.
https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/gasoline-prices-adjusted-for-inflation/
How can there be such a difference between just looking at regular and looking at all types? Different grades/types available in certain years? More price variance in regular and not the premium? Change in consumer preference for certain grades of gas?

Top Bottom